IGNORED

Erika Shupe *glower pout* Large Families on Purpose Part 5

keen23

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With that whole romance novels thing, most girls aren't that stupid and can separate fact from fiction. Only girls like hers, raised without contact with non-family boys, would probably be affected by romance novel plotlines; their parents have brought them up to believe that marriage is a wonderful thing and that their husband will love them for ever. OK, marriage can be wonderful, but it's the way fundie women raise these girls that is the problem. I can see that if a girl never met any outside-family boys and only read romance novels, then she might have idealistic images, but a normal girl who goes to an actual school will not. And besides, that's the whole bloody POINT of these books. You escape reality, get absorbed in a book which gets your imagination going, and then *sigh* close the book and get back to reality. People need escapism in their lives. I do like reading non-fiction books, but you better believe I read fiction too.

Fundies aren't allowed imaginations. That's so fucking depressing. Fundie parents are disgusting.

Oh and there was a reply to that comment about what Erika will do when they encounter these things in real life.

well there is always material around to discuss about the world. Movies, newspapers, news stories, and we discuss together whether or not it is a good idea to read certain books or watch certain movies and discuss why and opinions and feelings and do critical reviews…

ETA: Also looking at their audio books post. I bet reading the part of Moses in "The Word of Promise: Complete Audio Bible" is high up on Richard Dreyfuss's CV. Not.

17 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

"You're a wizard, Rubaiyat." - Hagrid

This is so many kinds of great, I almost don't even know what to do!!!!  :dramallama-nanner:

You've absolutely made my day!  

@mango_fandango. I wish I could like your post 100 times! That is the whole point of books: to escape reality! If the book causes you to momentarily forget where you are, and become attached to the characters, you know it's great literature! It is, indeed, fucking depressing that these kids don't get that opportunity. 

Also, I can't wait for lent to be over! I miss @princessmahina. in this thread! 

Books for escaping reality? What a concept. No experience with this notion...

Seriously: Escape via books was my drug as a kid. Still is...

it's ironic that romance novels are bad, yet when fundies find each other as intended by god & have the ultimate chaste courtship, they write it up on their website like a saccharine romance novel.

I still pull out my Dragonriders of Pern series when I want to totally escape from reality. I would love to be on Pern and have a queen dragon...

Those kids are going to gorge on stupid books and junk food the moment they leave the house of horrors.

Nothing makes anything more desirable than its being forbidden imho.

Erika's latest post has all the text centered.

There is nothing annoying about this.

This one blog here that I discovered manages to center all the text to the point of being unreadable: providencelodge.blogspot.com

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I still pull out my Dragonriders of Pern series when I want to totally escape from reality. I would love to be on Pern and have a queen dragon...

Whenever I'm feeling down, these are my go to for rereading. I'll join you on Pern - I really want to meet Jaxom and Ruth, and Robinton!:my_biggrin:

Another day, another link to "aholyexperience". We get the message, Erika. Believe in The Lord.

Except I don't and I won't.

Anyone else think the videos of the kids line dancing is a small step (ha ha punny) in the direction of militant goose stepping for exercise as dictated by Erika.  I mean, you can't get much more orderly than that.  Way better than running laps on the deck.

I saw that line dancing video.  There's a butt wiggle in there.  How is that appropriate for a teenage fundy girl to do?

I also the lack of fun, if that had been any family I know, there would have been giggles, playing older kids helping little kids etc.  The only interaction between the kids was a shove from a big brother to a little sister :cry:

That line dance was the one of the most joyless dances I've seen. They did not seem to be enjoying it. And then going to do it out in the road. As the one girl pointed out, the neighbors came out to watch. They were probably shocked to see them out dancing in road. 

14 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I found Pern to be a bit too (please excuse me, no offense meant here) feminine, for my taste when I tried it... I wonder if I should give it another chance...

11 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

That line dance was the one of the most joyless dances I've seen. They did not seem to be enjoying it. And then going to do it out in the road. As the one girl pointed out, the neighbors came out to watch. They were probably shocked to see them out dancing in road. 

1 hour ago, pnwgypsy said:

Anyone else think the videos of the kids line dancing is a small step (ha ha punny) in the direction of militant goose stepping for exercise as dictated by Erika.  I mean, you can't get much more orderly than that.  Way better than running laps on the deck.

Joyless: Yes. Like a machined line of pistons: All motions. No emotions.

I like watching So You Think You Can Dance: THAT is the exuberance of the human body engaged in dance to me! Wife and I just love that show. That is what reality TV should be like!

And I always thought that comparisons between Fundies and Hitler were a bit too easy and obvious.

Oh, wait: Comparisons between Fundies and Hitler are easy and obvious. Never mind. lol

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Another day, another link to "aholyexperience". We get the message, Erika. Believe in The Lord.

Except I don't and I won't.

But....!  Memes, Mango!  MEMES!!

how about now?

3 hours ago, sawasdee said:

Whenever I'm feeling down, these are my go to for rereading. I'll join you on Pern - I really want to meet Jaxom and Ruth, and Robinton!:my_biggrin:

I want to go to a Gather and an Impression!

Found this! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dragonriders-pern-movie-lands-a-750512

13 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I want to go to a Gather and an Impression!

Found this! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dragonriders-pern-movie-lands-a-750512

And hear Menolly sing at a gather! And of course go to an Impression - where I Impress my OWN dragon!

Just now, sawasdee said:

And hear Menolly sing at a gather! And of course go to an Impression - where I Impress my OWN dragon!

And only a Benden queen...a true daughter of Ramoth. 

But of course! Now I have to think very carefully who is acceptable casting for the movie......:think:

The cast would be HUGE...Lessa, F'lar, F'nor, Robinton, Lytol, Manora, good grief! 

I hate going to the movies (they're usually too loud for me) but I'd definitely be interested in this one...IMAX for sure! 

I'm currently re-reading my VERY beat up copy of All the Weyrs of Pern. 

The White Dragon is my favourite, and my copy is now disintegrating! Love All the Weyrs of Pern , but HATE saying goodbye to AIVAS!

Well now I know what to add to my reading list.
I'm pretty sure I tried to read a translated version not too long ago. That went into the "worst translator ever" pile that were just too painful to read. That or I wasn't in the mood.

32 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

The White Dragon is my favourite, and my copy is now disintegrating! Love All the Weyrs of Pern , but HATE saying goodbye to AIVAS!

The end of All the Weyrs...AVIAS AND Robinton... :PLEURE:

I have the first three books in one volume...and the rest are taking up serious space :tw_glasses:

I think I will have to find time to re-read them ALL again...this could take awhile...

ETA: They're all still in print!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dragonriders+of+pern+complete+series&sprefix=Dragonriders%2Caps%2C219

Her son has written books set further back in Pern's history, but I couldn't really get into them - the original series is so good I don't want anything else.:content:

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived