IGNORED

Erika Shupe *glower pout* Large Families on Purpose Part 5

keen23

Slightly off-topic: How many fundies have you actively called a fucking/selfish/abusive bitch in their thread? I believe I've done Erika, Lauren and Lori at various moments. I find it somewhat amusing (no offense intended feministxtian) when it just pops out of one of us every few pages.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shit, I did that on a comment on Lori's blog. I told someone to fuck off and die when we lived in Gilbert...it may have been someone from PP's church. I told Mormon missionaries that there was no way I could believe in a religion that believed that God actually fucked Mary to get her knocked up. 

It's simple, I have my beliefs...I have no desire to change them. Leave me the fuck alone. IF someone asks me what I believe, I'll answer...but I'm down with what St. Francis said..."Preach the Gospel at all times, use words if necessary".

10 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Slightly off-topic: How many fundies have you actively called a fucking/selfish/abusive bitch in their thread? I believe I've done Erika, Lauren and Lori at various moments. I find it somewhat amusing (no offense intended feministxtian) when it just pops out of one of us every few pages.

I try very hard to be mature, but sometimes fundies just make me grrr. Shrader and the Pearls more than most, though.

Swearing is good. It's the specific "abusive fucking bitch" label that I am amused by the moment. I think Erika's really one of the worst. She just never seems to take delight from her children except when she's subjecting them to rigorous mind control. 

Hey Erika...in case you're reading here....my Costco had this ginormous bag of wild white nacho Doritos on sale this week.  I want to say the whole giant Costco-sized bag was like $3 and change.  You could totally splurge and buy two or three bags and let the kids go to town!  Make it a special Leap Year event or something.

55 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Swearing is good. It's the specific "abusive fucking bitch" label that I am amused by the moment. I think Erika's really one of the worst. She just never seems to take delight from her children except when she's subjecting them to rigorous mind control. 

My mother was similar to Erika, minus the homeschooling and fundie beliefs. She wanted to keep me inside and under her control. Hell, I was 30, living 800 miles away and she'd call and leave nasty messages on my answering machine...like "where are you?", Damn...I live 800 miles away, have kids of my own and I DO NOT have to tell you where the fuck I'm going at any given moment. I hated that bitch and shed no tears when she died. 

8 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

I believe this is the chiro Erika saw for Riley's injury. He claims an interest in overall family health and nutrition, but I see no evidence of an MD, DO, or training in any other form of medicine besides chiro. 

http://countryclinic.com/content/nicholas-martin-dc-ccep

He has nothing other than his chiropractic school.  I think I'll stick with my chiro, who is a board certified DO (which I didn't realize until it was brought up here and I looked it up).  I see a trip to see him in my future, he does an excellent job of putting my hips back in place after my cycle pulls them out. 

I am just now dipping my toe into the Shupe Shite.  OMG.  Bear with me while I catch up. 

1 minute ago, MarblesMom said:

I am just now dipping my toe into the Shupe Shite.  OMG.  Bear with me while I catch up. 

Just holler if you need a rescue ferrett.  

This title got me "Closely-Spaced Pregnancies & Children - Blessed Efficiency!"  Like wth? More when I surface.  I'll SOS for ferrets  :)

Thanks, @grandmadugger 

I have been homeschooling for what feels like an eternity, lol, almost 20yrs. I currently have high schoolers and a middle schooler. School has always taken us all day. I've never understood these people who can sit at the table for 3 hrs and get school done with any number of kids. My teens are doing school pretty much all day now, including time after dinner late into the evening. We have a few classes we take that are very demanding academically. They have more freedom to stop and take breaks than if they were in school, but total number of hours spent reading or doing actual written work is similar to their public schooled peers. They are both great students, self motivated, independent workers. I'm available to answer questions, proof read papers, etc.  If I only had my middle schooler we could get done with written work fairly quickly, but we still read history and some literature aloud. She's taking both science and literature from some someone else. I love literature, and love discussing it with my kids, but I just don't have the knowledge to really give my kids a great understanding, and I want them to love it too. Science I'm a lost cause. So all my kids have done science, literature/writing, Spanish and music through outside courses. My adult kids have done extremely well in college, so while they may have "gaps", and despite my complete inadequacy in certain areas, I'm confident in the education they have received. But my goal had has always been to give then a great education, and college was in the plan for both girls and boys. 

2 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

You may need a few stiff drinks! 

4 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

I currently have high schoolers and a middle schooler. School has always taken us all day. I've never understood these people who can sit at the table for 3 hrs and get school done with any number of kids.

I used to work with someone who had a friend who claimed that they home schooled their kids at grade level with less than one hour school a day. I called bullshit and was told I must have been a bad student if I needed more than 1 hour a day of school work(which is made more funny because I was usually top in my class). When I started pointing out things that are time consuming it got interesting. Apparently science experiments (we did 2+ hours purely on experiments a week at school), reading, practicing foreign languages, artwork, music learning, woodwork, design etc aren't schoolwork and were not accounted for in their time calculations. :bangheaddesk:

In the fundie world I gather a good education means being able to read the Bible, spell your name, and know enough about numbers to hand the right number of bills / coins from a jar to the tiller at the supermarket.

The sad part is that I'm not sure all of them even get there.

We have this family we are friends with. They moved abroad and home schooled their kids for two years, using only one book. The Book that contains all we need to know. 

Allthough I share their enthusiasm for the Bible in many ways, I was a bit surprised. After two years they moved again, the kids went back to school, did some catching up and turned out fine. 

She made it sound like this home schooling with one book only is a thing. Anyone heard of it?

Erika can't drink hot tea during her personal Bible time:

I also do not make hot beverages for myself in the morning because the warm liquid and the sugar both would put me back to sleep almost instantly.  It also would waste about 20 minutes of my time to prepare the hot drink. 

How in the name of Sweet China does it take twenty minutes to prepare a cup of tea?  I realize I'm just an plain ole' American who drops a tea bag in boiling water, but....:my_confused: ??? I started thinking back to our time in the home of our dear friends in England (don't mean to stereotype but the English do know their tea). They had tea several times a day and it never took twenty minutes to prepare a cup.  It never took twenty minutes to prepare all four of us a cup!!Now, I realize that "proper" tea might be more time consuming but I highly doubt Erika is preparing loose tea, heating the teapot, etc. So...what gives?

Also, didn't Erika once say that her teenagers were not allowed to stay up late but they could get up as early as they please?  I think it'd be hilarious if Melanie and Karen started rising at 4:00 a.m. and moving around in the kitchen.  Anybody think Erika could enjoy her Bible time if her teenagers were actually out of bed and doing something in another room? 

10 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

How in the name of Sweet China does it take twenty minutes to prepare a cup of tea?  I realize I'm just an plain ole' American who drops a tea bag in boiling water, but....:my_confused: ??? I started thinking back to our time in the home of our dear friends in England (don't mean to stereotype but the English do know their tea). They had tea several times a day and it never took twenty minutes to prepare a cup.  It never took twenty minutes to prepare all four of us a cup!!Now, I realize that "proper" tea might be more time consuming but I highly doubt Erika is preparing loose tea, heating the teapot, etc. So...what gives?

I'm British! I feel like I can input here. :D

So tea for us is like a cultural thing. Basically every house in the UK has an electric kettle. I was surprised when I found out it's not that common in the US! I can see it would take longer to boil water on the hob but not 20 minutes! 5 max. 

Interesting British tea fact - we have 3-5 minute advertisement breaks during most TV shows in the UK. When a really popular programme is on, like a big football (soccer) game, our electricity companies have to prepare for a massive increase in electricity use during the advert break as everyone puts the kettle on. :D

13 minutes ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

I'm British! I feel like I can input here. :D

So tea for us is like a cultural thing. Basically every house in the UK has an electric kettle. I was surprised when I found out it's not that common in the US! I can see it would take longer to boil water on the hob but not 20 minutes! 5 max. 

Interesting British tea fact - we have 3-5 minute advertisement breaks during most TV shows in the UK. When a really popular programme is on, like a big football (soccer) game, our electricity companies have to prepare for a massive increase in electricity use during the advert break as everyone puts the kettle on. :D

Yes!  That is exactly how our friends did it. They kept their electric kettle filled, set out four cups as they turned it on and...just like that...tea!!  We bought an electric kettle when we returned home because, as you said, it is much faster than boiling water on the stovetop.

Even if Erika is boiling water on the stove, I can't see how it takes twenty minutes. I also can't see why it matters so much to me but it does. IT REALLY DOES MATTER!!:content:

I heat water each day for tea. On the stovetop it takes about 5 minutes for the water to boil and in the microwave a mug of water comes to boil in 1.5 minutes. I don't get the 20 minute tea preparation either.

18 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Yes!  That is exactly how our friends did it. They kept their electric kettle filled, set out four cups as they turned it on and...just like that...tea!!  We bought an electric kettle when we returned home because, as you said, it is much faster than boiling water on the stovetop.

Even if Erika is boiling water on the stove, I can't see how it takes twenty minutes. I also can't see why it matters so much to me but it does. IT REALLY DOES MATTER!!:content:

With it being Erika, it probably takes 20 minutes because she has to measure out the exact ratio of milk to water and carefully add 6 granules of Splenda while stirring 9 times anticlockwise. 

I love tea and drink everything from yearly blends from single plantations that cost as much as champagne or more to standard cheap tea from the grocery store and even doing very expensive kinds according to all instructions do not take 20 mins and you don't drink tea like that for breakfast, you drink it for example after dinner or as an event itself. Given that Erika loves planning she could just prepare a cup with a teabag in the evening, put water on the stove/in the kettle/microwave (hate the latter though) and once it is done put milk and/or sugar in if she likes (I usually drink mine plain unless it is British "builders tea" then I have milk) and have her cup ready. With heating on the stove 5 mins might be reasonable but more like 2-3 with a kettle or the microwave. Also, there things do not require that you stand over the pot and watch so you can put your socks on or polish a doorknob or whatever Erika deems as effective time management.

1 hour ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

With it being Erika, it probably takes 20 minutes because she has to measure out the exact ratio of milk to water and carefully add 6 granules of Splenda while stirring 9 times anticlockwise. 

And probably clean up any spills. She'd get Karen to do it, but this is 5am and Karen doesn't get up till six and Erika can't leave a small drop of tea.

2 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

"anticlockwise" means "widdershins" and means that Erika is maybe casting a SPELL??!!(Goddess forbid!)

3 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Also, didn't Erika once say that her teenagers were not allowed to stay up late but they could get up as early as they please?  I think it'd be hilarious if Melanie and Karen started rising at 4:00 a.m. and moving around in the kitchen.  Anybody think Erika could enjoy her Bible time if her teenagers were actually out of bed and doing something in another room? 

Preparing tea should not take more than 5 minutes unless you're performing a Japanese Tea Ceremony.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived