IGNORED

Erika Shupe *glower pout* Large Families on Purpose Part 5

keen23

4 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

The bolded is what I was trying to get at; you said it much more cleanly -- if a F-t-M transman who didn't [perhaps yet, perhaps ongoingly] have male genitals were to go into the ladies' room, which is ostensibly what Erika wants, she actually wouldn't approve of that at all!

Just let people pee!

Yeah, I have said that to people too. I personally would find a bearded manly man in the ladies bathroom to be off-putting. And I think on the predator issue we are no more likely going to have men dressed as women coming into the restroom for victims than men dressed as men coming into the rest room for victims. I prefer the idea of men's and women's restrooms to unisex, and I'd prefer everyone use the one they look like they should be using, but I realise that is just my own comfort. 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get this excitement over who's using what bathroom...I mean, I don't go to the bathroom to check out someone else's crotch equipment. There's only one man's junk I'm interested in...and I'm married to him. 

Fundies spend WAY too much time worrying about people's genitals....

23 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

It's just so odd to me because, in the women's rooms at least, it's just not usual to see anyone's genitals.  All you see is how people present.  And if we can agree that only penis-holders (actual or simulated) should use the urinal, and there are only urinals in the men's room, so she's ok with that, there's really not any other situation I can think of where one would reasonably expect to see genitals in a public restroom.

Am I missing something here?

Will you please mention this on the LFOP Facebook page? 

31 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I don't get this excitement over who's using what bathroom...I mean, I don't go to the bathroom to check out someone else's crotch equipment. There's only one man's junk I'm interested in...and I'm married to him. 

Fundies spend WAY too much time worrying about people's genitals....

They sure do! And we know that Erika is basically obsessed with, "the crotch area." :pb_rollseyes:

@happy atheist. Do we have a post count including the crotch area, yet? I feel quite strongly that we need one. :my_angel:

5 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

Will you please mention this on the LFOP Facebook page? 

I don't have facebook, or I would.  Hope someone will!

On 2/15/2016 at 11:46 PM, church_of_dog said:

What's especially bizarre about this is that she's got her own opinion on backwards -- if someone is dressed and presenting as a male, she wants that person to use the men's room, not the women's room.  If someone is dressed and presenting as a female, she wants them in the women's room.

Well, for the most part, that's what everyone wants (presuming that people present as they identify -- which I recognize doesn't include absolutely everyone, but it includes most cis folks and most trans folks, so -- more or less, happy happy all around, right?)

What she's not admitting is that she wants genitally-male people to only dress/present as men and genitally-female people to only dress/present as women.  So sorry, Erika, that's not something you get to choose for anyone other than yourself.

It's just so odd to me because, in the women's rooms at least, it's just not usual to see anyone's genitals.  All you see is how people present.  And if we can agree that only penis-holders (actual or simulated) should use the urinal, and there are only urinals in the men's room, so she's ok with that, there's really not any other situation I can think of where one would reasonably expect to see genitals in a public restroom.

Am I missing something here?

Pretty much. Along the same logic that preventing marriage equality would make all LGBT people shrug their shoulders and say "well if I can get married I will just give it up my long term comittment to my partner."

Except that almost never happened.

So I guess the new thinking is that they can make life hard enough for trans people than the trans people will cease to exist. Not likely.

10 hours ago, December said:

and that the only thing that weirded him out about restrooms was being forced to use urinals out in the open instead of having all private stalls.

omg. I hate restrooms with open urinals. Ok that may say really weird coming from a female but there are way too many restaurants/pubs I've been to where for some reason they have the urinals at the perfect angle that when you walk past the door you see the damn guy peeing. That is wrong on every single level! And don't tell me not to look - the reason why my eyes aren't glued to the ground to avoid seeing this is I'm trying to find the damn ladies sign! If they would put the signs on the ground I'd be so much happier. that or putting urinals out of sight of the hallways

I really don't get the fuss about bathrooms - no one is suggesting sharing cubicles with anyone, cis or trans. We're discussing the area where fully clothed people wash their hands. I also wash my hands in my office kitchen area, should I insist on having separate sinks for male and female co-workers and then make a big fuss about which sink the trans- coworkers are and are not allowed to use? 

If I had my way all toilets would be a row of cubicles with a few larger ones for disabled access / nappy changing and that's it. Oh and maybe no door to access the sink area (there are usually more germs on those doors than on the toilets themselves, making the hand-washing exercise pointless).

It would also end having the nappy changing area systematically placed in the ladies' bathrooms, which must be really inconvenient to the dads out there.

13 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

They sure do! And we know that Erika is basically obsessed with, "the crotch area." :pb_rollseyes:

@happy atheist. Do we have a post count including the crotch area, yet? I feel quite strongly that we need one. :my_angel:

We do indeed. We have "Parading Around in my Bifurcated Garment, Showing Off My Crotch" or words to that effect. "Crotch" is definitely in there.

My husband doesn't care about seeing the crotch so much as knowing he has easy access. That's why he likes me in skirts. I've heard the same from a lot of men, so I really don't get the crotch thing. 

I lived in an area where there were several religious groups whose women wore skirts by way of being "modest". I was amused to see that even though they managed to not directly accentuate the "crotch area" they certainly emphasized the naval area, the hips, the thighs and the buttocks with the tight denim skirts they wore (which, while long, seemed to only emphasize the legs because they were slit at the sides from the hem to mid thigh). 

I once bought a denim skirt and felt a little silly when I realized I looked similar to the women in those religious groups. My ex thought it was very sexy, though and his ridiculous delight whenever I wore it was almost embarrassing. So in that case anyway, so-called modest attire failed to fulfill its holy purpose of keeping mens thoughts pure. 

18 hours ago, Foudeb said:

I really don't get the fuss about bathrooms - no one is suggesting sharing cubicles with anyone, cis or trans. We're discussing the area where fully clothed people wash their hands.

While I think most of the fusses being made are way overblown, I have to say that a lot of bathroom stalls are constructed in a way that makes it ridiculously easy to get a line of sight on someone sitting with their pants down: doors low at the top, high at the bottom, and with gaping cracks at the sides. I can see being nervous sitting in one of those stalls; frequently I am nervous not because I fear some male predator but because I don't want to be seen by anyone, male or female, on purpose or by accident. 

On 2/13/2016 at 0:31 PM, pnwgypsy said:

Yeah.  I just don't understand the whole "I can't have health insurance because they might provide a procedure my religion doesn't agree with to a person I don't know" belief.  I mean, how far does that extend?  Maybe Erika should stop supporting all businesses with policies against her beliefs.  So long to your beloved Costco Erika!  & with Medicaid, you're not paying for it, so what's the issue?  & what about the taxes you to pay?  Maybe a tiny, tiny fraction of them goes to medicaid & pays for some woman's birth control?  Stop paying taxes Erika!!!!

You are being logical and that doesn't fly with Erika.  KNOCK IT OFF! <wink>

I tend to foget how open the usual toilet-cubicle construction in the US is, but a recent trip to NYC reminded me and it always makes me a little uncomfortable. 
Personally, I could care less about the designated-at-birt-sex of anyone else in there, but dudebro-types with cellphones and all those gaps around the walls and doors scare me :-/ 

So I was browsing the LFOP facebook page and did anyone notice her shout-out, (I think) to FJ? On Feb. 28 she posted 'Heres a little something for the echo chamber at FJ and GOMI.'  Does that mean that Erika reads here?  (a quick google tells me that GOMI is Get off my internet, a site for discussing blogs.)

I think the thing fundies like Erika are worried about is... a male could now get into the women's bathroom or locker room by pretending to be trans and then could kidnap/molest/rape women/children. I think that's what they are saying. 

8 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I think the thing fundies like Erika are worried about is... a male could now get into the women's bathroom or locker room by pretending to be trans and then could kidnap/molest/rape women/children. I think that's what they are saying. 

but couldn't a creep like that just pose as a woman and do the same thing before?

3 minutes ago, browncoatslytherin said:

but couldn't a creep like that just pose as a woman and do the same thing before?

:Yes:

I really don't get the fuss about bathrooms - no one is suggesting sharing cubicles with anyone, cis or trans. We're discussing the area where fully clothed people wash their hands. I also wash my hands in my office kitchen area, should I insist on having separate sinks for male and female co-workers and then make a big fuss about which sink the trans- coworkers are and are not allowed to use? 

If I had my way all toilets would be a row of cubicles with a few larger ones for disabled access / nappy changing and that's it. Oh and maybe no door to access the sink area (there are usually more germs on those doors than on the toilets themselves, making the hand-washing exercise pointless).

It would also end having the nappy changing area systematically placed in the ladies' bathrooms, which must be really inconvenient to the dads out there.

I've been an advocate for unisex bathrooms for years. And I've never had an issue with anyone who has to urinate or deficate using the woman's room because all of the toilets are in stalls and there are no urinals. As long as the toilets are in stalls, what's the big fucking deal?

I hadn't realised cubicles were poorly constructed in the US. Over here they tend to be decent. The only uh-oh moment I had was at an airport - the floor was shiny ceramic and acted like a mirror, and the partitions between cubicles didn't go low enough. I had to position my bag strategically to avoid reflection (though I doubt my cubicle neighbour even thought of looking).

My law school changed a few to unisex bathrooms while I was there. Which ones? The single-room kind, in the library and maybe elsewhere. Just change signage so there's no longer a men's and women's (they were right by each other). However, at lunch and between classes people could be in a hurry, so some of the (2 or 3) trans classmates would use whichever of the closer multi-stall kind they felt they should. Not an issue except when the women's bathroom would be super crowded, more than men's, because women take longer in the bathroom. Then, someone jokingly said, "hey, [name] you should go use the men's room, you can use whichever and it is less crowded!"

I didn't care, and our cubicles did not have big side gaps, just the usual gap on the bottom.

9 hours ago, Koala said:

Yeah- it was noted that Erika Facebook waved to us.  :pb_lol:  Isn't that the one where the article didn't mean what she thought it meant? 

Yup, fer sure the femme doesn't understand everything written here---

20 hours ago, libriatrix said:

While I think most of the fusses being made are way overblown, I have to say that a lot of bathroom stalls are constructed in a way that makes it ridiculously easy to get a line of sight on someone sitting with their pants down: doors low at the top, high at the bottom, and with gaping cracks at the sides. I can see being nervous sitting in one of those stalls; frequently I am nervous not because I fear some male predator but because I don't want to be seen by anyone, male or female, on purpose or by accident. 

Yeah, this argument would be very very silly in another country, but in the US it simply emphasizes that in most public restrooms anyone entering can easily see straight into the stalls (in addition of course to showing how hateful fundies are). The whole hating on transgenders is stupid, but if they start a campaign for stall doors which actually protect my privacy I'd be all for it.

13 hours ago, browncoatslytherin said:

Well, he didn't pose as a woman (and from the article, didn't apparently identify as a woman or trans person), but this happened in Seattle earlier this week. It seems like it was maybe an attempt to protest the law, while not grasping that the law isn't meant to defend males who identify as men just waltzing into the locker room where little girls are changing?

http://komonews.com/news/local/man-found-in-womens-locker-room-cites-new-transgender-bathroom-rule

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived