IGNORED

Erika Shupe *glower pout* Large Families on Purpose Part 5

keen23

6 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Thanks to this thread I now have a mental image in my head of Erika's oldest sipping tea like a moron, and reading some book titled "Godly Math for Girls Trapped Indoors: Multiplication and your Vagina"

Because in Fundie math 1+1=Let God plan the answer!

Oh. You just stirred a suppressed memory, of a book that a fundie hs girl wrote regarding math. Drat, now it's gone again.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, happy atheist said:

:omg: "Drinking Tea During Bible Study Like a Moron" is our newest post count title!

Erika has to be the biggest individual contributor to post count titles. Lori and Ken Alexander have contributed a lot, but they're a couple. Bob is not so 'publicly' involved with the blog. 

2 hours ago, refugee said:

Oh. You just stirred a suppressed memory, of a book that a fundie hs girl wrote regarding math. Drat, now it's gone again.

It's (Not That) Complicated by the Botkin sisters? Not exactly math, but the cover would make you think...

http://westernconservatory.com/products/its-not-that-complicated

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Erika has to be the biggest individual contributor to post count titles. Lori and Ken Alexander have contributed a lot, but they're a couple. Bob is not so 'publicly' involved with the blog. 

Jill Rodrigues is another contender. I ought to make a spread sheet.

I try to include things from a variety of sources, but the balance is weighted toward the threads I read, for obvious reasons.

I just took a quick look. The extended Duggar clan inspired approximately 30 of our post count titles, but they have an unfair advantage since there are roughly a million of them.

Next up is the Maxwells, and again it's a team effort. They have about 20.

Then comes Erika with 13, but she's actually tied with John Shrader.

Close on their heels are LorKen and JRod, each with 11.

I just got out of the Never Had A Goth Phase rank, and never could figure out what it meant.  I just spent some time looking at the explanations in the Free Jinger User Titles post, so now I know.

OMG, some of those ranks and explanations are hilarious (Waiting on the Lord's Pizza Delivery!).

ETA: I'm a little curious about the rank There's No Salvation in Masturbation.  Is that an actual fundie quote?

ETA again.  Never mind.  Found the explanation. 

59 minutes ago, happy atheist said:

I just took a quick look. The extended Duggar clan inspired approximately 30 of our post count titles, but they have an unfair advantage since there are roughly a million of them.

Next up is the Maxwells, and again it's a team effort. They have about 20.

Then comes Erika with 13, but she's actually tied with John Shrader.

Close on their heels are LorKen and JRod, each with 11.

JRod will be SEVERELY disappointed she's not top. 

Currently, I've apparently Bought My House in Cash. Not sure exactly how the transaction went, but my parents don't have a mortgage on their house. This was about twenty years ago though, when the house was about £600,000 I think, now houses in my area are like £1.5 million. I live in a London suburb. By contrast, another house about the same size (well, five bed two bath) up north in Sunderland costs like £180,000. I swear. Like a million pounds in difference!!!

59 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

JRod will be SEVERELY disappointed she's not top. 

Currently, I've apparently Bought My House in Cash. Not sure exactly how the transaction went, but my parents don't have a mortgage on their house. This was about twenty years ago though, when the house was about £600,000 I think, now houses in my area are like £1.5 million. I live in a London suburb. By contrast, another house about the same size (well, five bed two bath) up north in Sunderland costs like £180,000. I swear. Like a million pounds in difference!!!

Oh my gosh, tell me about it. It's so frustrating when I go back to where my family lives (Yorkshire) and you can rent an entire 3 bed house for the price I pay for a teeny flat on the outskirts of London... :/ But it has its own advantages! :)

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Currently, I've apparently Bought My House in Cash.

We did, too, and not fundies at all.   It CAN happen.   We are blessed.

15 hours ago, kpmom said:

I just got out of the Never Had A Goth Phase rank, and never could figure out what it meant.  I just spent some time looking at the explanations in the Free Jinger User Titles post, so now I know.

OMG, some of those ranks and explanations are hilarious (Waiting on the Lord's Pizza Delivery!).

ETA: I'm a little curious about the rank There's No Salvation in Masturbation.  Is that an actual fundie quote?

ETA again.  Never mind.  Found the explanation. 

Never Had a Goth Phase was a fj-member inspired post count, I think? In response to the "green hair in college" post count.

Maybe it was inspired by @formergothardite?

On 2/21/2016 at 6:00 AM, OnceUponATime said:

I used to work with someone who had a friend who claimed that they home schooled their kids at grade level with less than one hour school a day. I called bullshit and was told I must have been a bad student if I needed more than 1 hour a day of school work(which is made more funny because I was usually top in my class). When I started pointing out things that are time consuming it got interesting. Apparently science experiments (we did 2+ hours purely on experiments a week at school), reading, practicing foreign languages, artwork, music learning, woodwork, design etc aren't schoolwork and were not accounted for in their time calculations. :bangheaddesk:

So, with all those exclusions, what in the FSM's name DID they count in the time calcs? Taking attendance? Morning prayers? Handing out 5 spelling words for the week and one math problem?

On 2/8/2016 at 11:00 AM, Hisey said:
On 2/21/2016 at 3:00 AM, OnceUponATime said:

I used to work with someone who had a friend who claimed that they home schooled their kids at grade level with less than one hour school a day. I called bullshit and was told I must have been a bad student if I needed more than 1 hour a day of school work(which is made more funny because I was usually top in my class). When I started pointing out things that are time consuming it got interesting. Apparently science experiments (we did 2+ hours purely on experiments a week at school), reading, practicing foreign languages, artwork, music learning, woodwork, design etc aren't schoolwork and were not accounted for in their time calculations. :bangheaddesk:

Yeah, my sister was one of those. She threw worksheets at them for an hour and said it was all they needed. According to her, public schools required six hours of instruction because five hours was crowd control.

I tried the Socratic approach, asking questions in an attempt to get her to engage her brain. I asked why my son's school might be having them focus on math for a full hour each day. She shook her head in wonderment and answered, "That's my question too!"

New FB post!! 

So apparently Erika decided that they should practice following oral instructions. By line dancing. They do the "Continental Drift" and then the Electric Slide, or something. 

Interesting method of homeschooling. 

ETA: Just watched it. It does actually look quite fun. The music has a beat so the Duggars and Bateses would never do it. Continental Drift is apparently from Ice Age or something, led by Sid the Sloth.

Dancing! Music with a beat!! 

On 2/24/2016 at 10:02 AM, livinginthelight said:

I tried the Socratic approach, asking questions in an attempt to get her to engage her brain. I asked why my son's school might be having them focus on math for a full hour each day. She shook her head in wonderment and answered, "That's my question too!"

When I was in elementary school, we were allowed to skip subject levels up to 7th grade.  No 8th grade lessons were offered.  In 3rd grade, I was in the 7th grade math class.  It was about an hour long, but something I noticed even then was how most of the time was spent trying to get the last few kids to understand.  So I'd be sitting there, completely understanding it, and feeling like my time was being wasted.  When she started writing the assignments on the board at the start of the lesson, I would listen to her go over the formula or whatever once, then do the assignment, and spend the rest of the time reading.  So I did maybe 15 minutes of math, was a straight-A student, and consistently scored in the 95th percentile or higher for standardized testing.

So I do understand that some kids really don't need a solid hour a day on math lessons.  But some kds do, and some kids need more.  It just depends on the individual kid.

Oh gosh... Erika is recommending books and telling commentors about the evils of anti-christianity in fiction. I wish she'd go back to decluttering and organizing and let her kids and everybody else's read what interests them. If my life were only filled with characters Erika deemed appropriate, I'd deny my very soul the excitement, adventure, romance and new ideas it seeks. Let your children be whole people, Erika. They were created for more than your limited scope of what is wholesome and good. Our true selves need the rich experiences found in books and sometimes even television shows, movies or plays. It's how we learn about the world around us, learn what we are passionate about and who we really are. If these kids don't get to experience learning about the human condition...I just... well.. it's no education at all. 

Now don't get me wrong, romance is wonderful within marriage, but Biblically speaking and when based in reality; and yes, romance and reality can go together.  *smile* 

I don't quite understand what she is trying to say here. It can't be that one must wait until the wedding day and vows are said before any romance can commence can it? How exciting it must be to get an unromantic proposal because it's not Biblical *joyful grin*

I am shocked that I haven't read her book post before. I love this little gem of a quote:

Romance novels, even Christian ones can be devastating for girls (and women) giving them a very unrealistic sense of what to expect from life.

Yes, Erika, because a partner who tends to a woman's sexual and emotional needs  is sooooo unrealistic. Well, then again it is unrealistic in your world. But not in mine. :output_eeMbjt:

1 hour ago, OnceUponATime said:

I don't quite understand what she is trying to say here. It can't be that one must wait until the wedding day and vows are said before any romance can commence can it? How exciting it must be to get an unromantic proposal because it's not Biblical *joyful grin*

This is a sad concept. Not shocking. Just sad. 

On 2/25/2016 at 10:56 PM, mango_fandango said:

New FB post!! 

So apparently Erika decided that they should practice following oral instructions. By line dancing. They do the "Continental Drift" and then the Electric Slide, or something. 

I couldn't believe this was allowed. I was delighted for the Shupe Kids! And I was also kind of sad that Karen and Melanie spend their days babysitting essentially. When I was a teenager, I didn't want anything to do with little kids and having to dance to a Sid the Sloth line dance with 5 year olds would have annoyed me. Free Karen and Melanie! I realize there are much worse things in life, I was just a selfish teen. 

Oh, wow.  Now she's researching and criticizing literature...by NOT actually reading the books themselves!  No, her research comes from whatever "Christian" experts she can find who support her views.  And probably God, who of course delivers directives to Erika via personal message, prayer, coin flipping, or something.

She must stay up at night thinking of ways to limit and hinder the growth of her children.  

Wonder if she'll reply to the good query posed on her page (regarding how her kids will react when they encounter other literature in, for example, college) or if she'll just delete it.  History would hint at deletion, but I'd love to see her try to field that one.  

No wonder, when I'm challenging the fundies on a Christian message board (that I just got kicked off for 3 days), they've never heard of 1984, Brave New World, Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye, or other books. I read those in high school and re-read them periodically...but how on earth can you get through life without reading those books??? 

We won't discuss their complete ignorance of history...at all. BUT...I'm making an inroads with one young woman...finally. I've been sparring with her online for the last couple of years...she's FINALLY starting to understand the good of UHC, social safety nets, more "liberal" thinking....yay me!

On 2/21/2016 at 2:32 PM, happy atheist said:

Church homework? Two great tastes that taste great together!

Gotta say this does not make me want to reconsider my position of this whole religion thing.

I do not miss the hours I spent doing homework for the Experiencing God program that was all over the place in the 90's. It might have been a sign that I was destined to stop experiencing God that while everyone else in the class seemed to enjoy spending 30 minutes a day reading the Bible and answering questions, I fucking hated every minute of it. 

And I'm guessing Erika hates it as much as I did. She basically admitted that if she didn't force herself to do it first thing in the morning while she was sitting in a cold room she would fall to sleep from boredom. She hates it so she gets it done first thing in the morning. She can check it off her list and then go do the things she views as productive. 

Just now, formergothardite said:

I do not miss the hours I spent doing homework for the Experiencing God program that was all over the place in the 90's. It might have been a sign that I was destined to stop experiencing God that while everyone else in the class seemed to enjoy spending 30 minutes a day reading the Bible and answering questions, I fucking hated every minute of it. 

And I'm guessing Erika hates it as much as I did. She basically admitted that if she didn't force herself to do it first thing in the morning while she was sitting in a cold room she would fall to sleep from boredom. She hates it so she gets it done first thing in the morning. She can check it off her list and then go do the things she views as productive. 

If Erika hates it so much, maybe she should re-evaluate her belief system. 

2 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

I am shocked that I haven't read her book post before. I love this little gem of a quote:

Yes, Erika, because a partner who tends to a woman's sexual and emotional needs  is sooooo unrealistic. Well, then again it is unrealistic in your world. But not in mine. :output_eeMbjt:

Wait, wait, wait.  But I read the story of Joshua in the Bible, and I don't have the expectation of being able to bring down cities with some loud music.  And I read Goodnight Moon, and I don't expect my kids to need to say goodnight to everything in the damn world before they go to sleep.  And I read Number the Stars, but I don't expect to have to ferry my friends to Sweden in the middle of the night.  And I read Little House on the Prairie, but I don't expect to have to move my family in a covered wagon...

SHIT!!!  I'm obviously doing it wrong!!!  

I'm going to go read Harry Potter again and see if it turns me into a wizard.   Because that would be awesome.  

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived