IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez Abysmal Wedding Planner Part 2

Coconut Flan

On February 15, 2016 at 9:42 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

Please tell me you don't say this to a woman who's toddler is having a meltdown in Target (I've witnessed that before).

Oh lord, that reminds me of a banned condom commercial. I forget what country it's from. In the commercial a young dad is shopping with his child, who starts throwing a huge temper tantrum. The dad looks really self conscious and has no idea what to do, and then the logo for the condom company appears on screen.

found it:

Spoiler

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That reminds me of a condom commercial i saw a while back. All i could think before the logo appeared was "Holy shit, this perfume commercial has gotten *gay too far"

*it was supposed to say way, but i like the way my tablet thinks :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Oh lord, that reminds me of a banned condom commercial. I forget what country it's from. In the commercial a young dad is shopping with his child, who starts throwing a huge temper tantrum. The dad looks really self conscious and has no idea what to do, and then the logo for the condom company appears on screen.

found it:

Hide contents

One of the best condom commercials ever.

59 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

Sierra posted a pic on Instagram this morning with Marjorie!

And Anna Duggar!  And Michelle-- wearing a pretty decent outfit, for once. If only I could chop off about 8 inches of her splitends, though!

On 2/16/2016 at 8:29 AM, Bugaboo said:

Sierra posted a pic on Instagram this morning with Marjorie!

Ah yes.. from the Abused Women symposium (I know that's not actually what it's called)... basically being like "As undervalued women, we want YOU to join us in being undervalued as well! It's not so bad if you trust in Jeebus!"

RE: the chocolate strawberry convo, because I'm just now getting to the end of the thread: Even Godiva strawberries aren't that expensive, if you don't care how pretty they are. I go to the Godiva store at the mall and buy a paper cone full of berries for about $12 fairly often. It's usually 6-7 normal (grocery store sized, not giant) berries, not decorated but still dipped in really good chocolate. I'm not a big sweets fan, so that's still usually more than I can eat before they go bad, but I just can't bring myself to spend $6 on a single berry for the fancy ones... :pb_confused:

For the at-home types, try making chocolate dipped pretzel rods. Dead easy, and they're really fun to decorate. It gives me an excuse to bust out my 5 million jars of sprinkles. Plus, they're great for impressing your friends without doing a ton of work. It's my go-to for DnD night when I'm too tired to bake. :pb_lol:

Am I the only one who just uses a makeshift double boiler? I just bought a little aluminum bowl and plop it on top of a saucepan with a little water in it. The steam keeps it nice and melty for as long as you need. I'm always afraid the chocolate will seize if I microwave it, so I do it the old-fashioned way...

10 hours ago, st4rfl33t said:

Ah yes.. from the Abused Women symposium (I know that's not actually what it's called)... basically being like "As undervalued women, we want YOU to join us in being undervalued as well! It's not so bad if you trust in Jeebus!"

Is your husband treating you like shit, cheating on you, abusing you, lying to you, and/or just being an all-around shithead? Don't confront him, see a marriage counselor/therapist, or file for divorce! Lock yourself in the linen closet and ask Jesus to make your husband stop being a douchebag! Initiative and self-advocacy are for godless whores!

1 hour ago, Shoobydoo said:

Am I the only one who just uses a makeshift double boiler? I just bought a little aluminum bowl and plop it on top of a saucepan with a little water in it.

that's how we used to make steam puddings. I don't have a metal bowl at the moment so whenever I'm melting chocolate it is in a saucepan in a bigger saucepan.

I haven't had steam pudding for a long time. Didn't we get it for school dinners with custard? Only thing that made those English dinners palatable. Liver, mashed potatoes, boiled cabbage. The ice cream truck used to come to the bottom of the school grounds during lunchtime, so we didn't starve.

Steam pudding is amazing. America needs to learn that shit. American pudding is just wannabe custard.

Wait, school dinners? School fed you dinner and not just lunch?

28 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Steam pudding is amazing. America needs to learn that shit. American pudding is just wannabe custard.

It was lunchtIme, but it was always called s chool inner. At my grammar school, we weren't allowed to bring our lunch. For grammar school, read post elementary school for non Brits. Sorry about the typos. I can't edit on my tablet when I use a quote.

10 minutes ago, missegeno said:

My Grandma, well actually all my older relatives used to call 'lunch' 'dinner' and the evening meal was called 'supper'...confusing to say the least because my parents didn't use the same terminology...it was breakfast lunch and dinner, but I really didn't care as long as I got fed..lol

I grew up with breakfast, lunch and supper. The term supper could easily be exchanged for dinner, though. Except on Sundays. Sunday dinner was always a late lunch in the afternoon.

from what I understood, dinner is a hearty meal at either midday or evening.  lunch is a light meal at midday, and supper is a light meal in evening.

back in the day, laborers would eat a large midday meal to have enough energy to keep working, then eat lightly at home.  non-laborers would suffice with a light midday meal and have a larger meal at home with the family.

now, the terms are largely regional, it seems.  I went to a school in suburban Boston, and they all referred to "dinner" at noon, but the next school I went to in Novato CA used the term lunch.

it's all the same to me, but I use lunch and dinner.

On January 19, 2016 at 0:55 AM, Bad Wolf said:

Most of the women I came in contact with in my work did not take an abortion lightly. It was a difficult decision arrived after much soul searching.

I get the impression that the Duggars et al think that abortion is used carelessly, and if it were illegal, then women would come to their senses and would accept their blessing.

Well, we all know how it worked when abortion was illegal. Just my 2 cents.

ETA Wonder if they know who Dr. Seuss is, or if they've read any of his books.

Of course they've never read Dr. Suess books. Better butter wars? The Lorax? Don't think so.

Yes of course they use it out of context, just like singing Gothard songs to the tune of "Edelweiss" even though the evil Broadway writers who wrote it specifically said they did not want the tune used...If the Duggar children participate in Dr. Suess birthday-America Reads day I'll take it all back.

12 hours ago, Shoobydoo said:

RE: the chocolate strawberry convo, because I'm just now getting to the end of the thread: Even Godiva strawberries aren't that expensive, if you don't care how pretty they are. I go to the Godiva store at the mall and buy a paper cone full of berries for about $12 fairly often. It's usually 6-7 normal (grocery store sized, not giant) berries, not decorated but still dipped in really good chocolate. I'm not a big sweets fan, so that's still usually more than I can eat before they go bad, but I just can't bring myself to spend $6 on a single berry for the fancy ones... :pb_confused:

For the at-home types, try making chocolate dipped pretzel rods. Dead easy, and they're really fun to decorate. It gives me an excuse to bust out my 5 million jars of sprinkles. Plus, they're great for impressing your friends without doing a ton of work. It's my go-to for DnD night when I'm too tired to bake. :pb_lol:

Am I the only one who just uses a makeshift double boiler? I just bought a little aluminum bowl and plop it on top of a saucepan with a little water in it. The steam keeps it nice and melty for as long as you need. I'm always afraid the chocolate will seize if I microwave it, so I do it the old-fashioned way...

I didn't know that about I decorated chocolate dipped Godiva berries!!! I'll have to get some next time I'm at the mall.

I've never tried a double boiler, actual or makeshift. I've melted chocolate in the microwave though when making chocolate frogs.  It seemed to work fine. I melted most of the chocolate (like 75%?) in the microwave and then let the rest get melted by the hot melted chocolate.

Sierra is so dramatic. Everything she writes just makes me roll me eyes. She is a perfect fit for being fundie because they loooooooove to play victim and having soooooo many kids that she can't handle lets her be super victimized and a super fundie at the same time.

I love how she describes herself as "head chocolatier" - can you call yourself that if you are not actually making the chocolate?

On 2/19/2016 at 8:28 AM, Shoobydoo said:

I have many dumb questions....if I wanted to make chocolate pretzel rods...is there a certain type of chocolate to use? Do I add anything to it? Do I just melt it on the stove?

On 2/19/2016 at 11:04 AM, paulypepper said:

My Grandma, well actually all my older relatives used to call 'lunch' 'dinner' and the evening meal was called 'supper'...confusing to say the least because my parents didn't use the same terminology...it was breakfast lunch and dinner, but I really didn't care as long as I got fed..lol

I'm from Iowa and the meals growing up were always breakfast, lunch, dinner. Though some people did call dinner (evening meal) supper. Then I went to college in South Dakota. Tons of people there said breakfast, dinner, supper. It was confusing at first. My friend would say "want to meet for dinner tomorrow?" To me, that would be the evening meal. But not to her. Eventually we just started saying "do you want to meet for noon meal?"

1 minute ago, ClaraOswin said:

I have many dumb questions....if I wanted to make chocolate pretzel rods...is there a certain type of chocolate to use? Do I add anything to it? Do I just melt it on the stove?

I just use a bag of ghirardelli milk chocolate chips. 

1. Get some large sheet pans and cover them with wax or parchment paper. Make sure you have a lot of room in your fridge to fit your pans.

2. Melt your chocolate by whatever means you like (just DO NOT try to melt it over direct heat, the chocolate will seize and burn and become unusable. Use a double boiler or a microwave). You can make a makeshift double boiler by putting a small metal bowl on top of a saucepan with a small amount of water in it. Heat the saucepan until the water starts to steam. The steam will heat the bowl, melting the chocolate without scorching it.

3. Cover pretzels in chocolate. I find that the easiest way to do this is to hold the pretzel upright at one end, with the other end sitting in the bowl of chocolate. Then use a small silicone spatula to scoop up some melted chocolate. Hold the spatula just close enough to the pretzel for the chocolate to touch it, then spin the pretzel around while slowly drawing the spatula up to cover the pretzel in chocolate. (wow. I feel like I should make a video explaining how that looks :pb_eek: )

Applying the chocolate this way keeps your fingers clean, takes very little space since you're holding the pretzel upright, and it makes a cool looking swirly ridge around the pretzel. You can also easily control how much chocolate actually gets ON the pretzel by adjusting how far away you hold the spatula. Hold it close and the layer will be thin, hold it far away and it will be thick. You could even make a pattern by touching the pretzel outright, which would leave a scrape of chocolate-free pretzel.

4. Lay pretzel down on sheet pan, sprinkle with desired sprinkles/sugar/decos, what have you.

5. When your tray is full, stick it in the fridge to harden the chocolate. If you don't, it will take hours for the chocolate to set at room temperature. 

Repeat until you run out of either chocolate or pretzels. If you want to get super fancy, you can melt some chocolate in a contrasting color and drizzle it over the hardened pretzels. I wouldn't do it while the chocolate is still hot, it would probably just sink right in and not look attractive. 

Man this thread makes me hungry. So much chocolate. :hersheyskiss:

Chocolate covered pretzels are my mom and I's favorite treat. However since I have been trying to be on a diet, I have been substituting it with yogurt covered pretzels. Really good, but not the same. I am also not sure if they are much healthier, but I justify it as so. :tw_grin:

12 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I love how she describes herself as "head chocolatier" - can you call yourself that if you are not actually making the chocolate?

Actually, yes. A chocolatier makes stuff from chocolate. A chocolate maker makes chocolate.

The problem with chocolatier as Sierra's job title is that she's a woman and since they're all about that gender crap she should be calling herself chocolatière.

On 1/28/2016 at 5:46 PM, CorruptionInc. said:
25 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

Actually, yes. A chocolatier makes stuff from chocolate. A chocolate maker makes chocolate.

The problem with chocolatier as Sierra's job title is that she's a woman and since they're all about that gender crap she should be calling herself chocolatière.

I fear that the use of the accent grave  in a title would dumbfound Sierra's fundy friends

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived