IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez Abysmal Wedding Planner Part 2

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Grapes are usually cheaper than strawberries.

yes but grapes are so provincial and boring while strawberries used right bring up scintillating moments of love 

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, nst said:

yes but grapes are so provincial and boring while strawberries used right bring up scintillating moments of love 

The way to "do" grapes is not chocolate but a fine-granulated sugar glaze that makes them look all shimmery.  Easy to do in bunches of three or four.  Chocolate grapes... Not for me.

Sierra's berries and grapes (ew) cost more because she dips in a skirt. She's no pants wearing floozy like those whores at Godiva.

Off the topic of "And I'm like, yo, that's $89 for strawberries dipped in supermarket chocolate", Sierra posted on Instagram about her kids playing "Space Shuttle" and how cute it was. Too bad that if she decides to go the Duggar route of homeschooling, her kids will likely never have the science, math, critical thinking, self-discipline, and problem-solving skills needed to be astronauts.

13 hours ago, Artemesia said:

Wow the cookies are five bucks a pop! And if folks "let her know" about their pecan or coconut allergies how does she keep their order allergan free? She's going to hurt someone. I hope their "business" is legal and insured.

I don't know how she is doing this Vday thing, but I've read that she does only pre-orders. I think she's booked way out for stuff like birthdays and bridal showers. So, unless you have an allergy severe enough that cross-contamination is a problem she just changes the recipe up a bit. If you do have an allergy that bad I doubt you'd be buying from a person's home kitchen anyway

I gotta go against popular opinion and say I don't think the prices are that bad. Sierra's strawberries are well made and look good. The lady who makes the sugar cookies is very talented and I am sure decorating those cookies take a lot of time. Sure anyone can dip strawberries in some chocolate and bake some cookies but are they going to look like what Sierra is offering? Presentation is everything. A small business with one person making the product is of course going to be a bit more expensive than a company like Sheri berries or Edible Arrangements that had hundreds of employees and specialized equipment. 

8 minutes ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

I gotta go against popular opinion and say I don't think the prices are that bad. Sierra's strawberries are well made and look good. The lady who makes the sugar cookies is very talented and I am sure decorating those cookies take a lot of time. Sure anyone can dip strawberries in some chocolate and bake some cookies but are they going to look like what Sierra is offering? Presentation is everything. A small business with one person making the product is of course going to be a bit more expensive than a company like Sheri berries or Edible Arrangements that had hundreds of employees and specialized equipment. 

That's what I'm thinking. I'm in eastern Kentucky and prices here are slightly lower, because they area is economically poorer, but comparable.

I think that shopping local is great, if you can afford to do so.

Shopping local is great. I'd want to see her license to do business and, most importantly, health department approval though. Otherwise, no way.

15 hours ago, sta_sha said:

Since when are chocolate covered grapes a thing? I like chocolate and grapes, but the thought of putting them together isn't even slightly appealing to me.

They actually taste pretty good, I think.  Get some good dark chocolate and some nice sweet grapes - the contrast between the flavours is amazing!

But then, I don't like chocolate-dipped strawberries, so maybe I'm just weird.... :my_biggrin:

3 hours ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

I gotta go against popular opinion and say I don't think the prices are that bad.

I can understand you saying that. My comment on crazy prices was before I had looked online for prices of places that deliver. While her prices may be in line with market price but they still freak me out. All I will say is OMG chocolate coated strawberries are crazy expensive (generally speaking).

Personally if anyone was going to get me chocolate and strawberries for valentines day it better be some chocolate  paint with fresh non-dipped strawberries. 

20 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

And let her know on her Instagram advertisement that what she is doing is illegal!

Someone did last night. Those comments were deleted and she followed that up with a snarky "thanks for your concern" comment. 

3 hours ago, downtherabbithole said:

Someone did last night. Those comments were deleted and she followed that up with a snarky "thanks for your concern" comment. 

3 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

Send an email to the Arkansas Department of Health - Hurry!  Valentine's Day is coming.

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/contactUs/Pages/contactForm.aspx

Actually, Sierra is most likely in compliance.  Under the Arkansas Department of Health Cottage Food Regulations, individuals are able to sell certain home produced food items without a permit from the Department of Health.  Cookies and candies are acceptable items for this type of sale.  Fresh uncut fruit can also be sold without permit.  The Arkansas DOH interprets chocolate dipped strawberries (and grapes) under both these rule sets.  It is true that cottage foods can not be sold over the internet.  As long as Sierra and Doughmestic Housewife are requiring customers to pick up the food items, the social media based ordering can be interpreted as simply reserving the product.  There are labeling requirements that go along with the Cottage Food Regulations.  I have never seen the packaged products (unpackaged products do tend to photograph better) so I don't know if she is or is not in compliance there.

15 minutes ago, Born Skeptic said:

Actually, Sierra is most likely in compliance.  Under the Arkansas Department of Health Cottage Food Regulations, individuals are able to sell certain home produced food items without a permit from the Department of Health.  Cookies and candies are acceptable items for this type of sale.  Fresh uncut fruit can also be sold without permit.  The Arkansas DOH interprets chocolate dipped strawberries (and grapes) under both these rule sets.  It is true that cottage foods can not be sold over the internet.  As long as Sierra and Doughmestic Housewife are requiring customers to pick up the food items, the social media based ordering can be interpreted as simply reserving the product.  There are labeling requirements that go along with the Cottage Food Regulations.  I have never seen the packaged products (unpackaged products do tend to photograph better) so I don't know if she is or is not in compliance there.

You didn't read the entire thread on this issue.  Cottage Foods are not allowed to be sold on the Internet.  Sierra is in violation.

Our state allows food made at home to be sold at our church's Christmas bazaar. Our priest was a former state attorney, so we're pretty sure she knows whereof she speaks. We don't advertise on the internet, however.

50 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

You didn't read the entire thread on this issue.  Cottage Foods are not allowed to be sold on the Internet.  Sierra is in violation.

Sure I did.  I understand that some people believe that she is in violation because they believe that she is selling her product on the internet.  She is requiring customers to pick up the products, and she is careful to call the Instagram responses pre-orders - with an invoice to be sent.  That does not meet the definition of internet sales.  (I did say this in the post you quoted.)

Regardless of anyone's opinion about how these people live their lives and overpopulate the world with too many poorly educated children, reporting her isn't going to accomplish much since she seems to be carefully operating within the rules.

On 2/1/2016 at 1:40 PM, singsingsing said:

I'm well aware that NWA is not the sticks. Maybe I'm naive, but $89 for a dozen chocolate covered strawberries, a dozen chocolate covered grapes, a half dozen sugar cookies and an edible chocolate bowl sounds outrageous anywhere (except maybe somewhere the price of food is outrageous, like Nunavut). Maybe I just don't appreciate the fundie chocolate drizzle industry, but damn. I think the prices on Edible Arrangements are ridiculous, too, but at least they're professionally done.

I think it is a lot too.  It isn't like there is a lot of skill level to dipping strawberries in chocolate.  My kids and I did that all the time, using good quality chocolate.  Now the hand decorated cookies do take some skill.  I tried my hand at decorating cookies and cakes once and it can take a long time to do a small cake, and probably a long time to do a few cookies.  Still, that doesn't mean that I want to pay that much for them.   

I crack up at all of these "professional Moms" who pat themselves on the back for being a stay at home mom, and yet they are spending more time trying to the latest Pinterest trend, and trying to get a useless home economy going that their kids are not getting any more attention than some of us moms who are leaving the house to go to work. 

I stayed home for awhile with my kids, and my house was messy, because we played out side, we went to the park, to museums, swimming and sometimes we cuddled and read books for hours.  I cooked with my kids, and tried to teach them the basics of maintaining a home, but  if something more fun came along that was what we did.  I didn't spend tons of money on glue sticks to make some ridiculous wall hanging out of cardboard toilet paper tubes.  Yes,  That is a real thing on Pinterest.  And the people who do that, have to much fucking time on their hands.

On 2/1/2016 at 4:50 PM, Yes, TOTALLY said:

It is crazy to me that anyone would pay $80+ for chocolate dipped strawberries...they
're the easiest thing ever to make. All you do is buy some strawberries, buy some chocolate, melt it in the microwave and dip them in it. I've been making them for family gatherings since I was 8 (with proper hygiene too!). The cookies look pretty cool, and like a bit of artistry went into them, but the strawberries and grapes really aren't that hard to replicate yourself at home for $60 cheaper.

I work at a hotel and have to make choc. covered strawberries for when people order our romance package. It literally takes 5 minutes and that's with putting white chocolate drizzle on top! It's also super cheap. I don't know why she thinks hers are worth that price.

4 hours ago, calimojo said:

I think it is a lot too.  It isn't like there is a lot of skill level to dipping strawberries in chocolate.  My kids and I did that all the time, using good quality chocolate.  Now the hand decorated cookies do take some skill.  I tried my hand at decorating cookies and cakes once and it can take a long time to do a small cake, and probably a long time to do a few cookies.  Still, that doesn't mean that I want to pay that much for them.   

I crack up at all of these "professional Moms" who pat themselves on the back for being a stay at home mom, and yet they are spending more time trying to the latest Pinterest trend, and trying to get a useless home economy going that their kids are not getting any more attention than some of us moms who are leaving the house to go to work. 

I stayed home for awhile with my kids, and my house was messy, because we played out side, we went to the park, to museums, swimming and sometimes we cuddled and read books for hours.  I cooked with my kids, and tried to teach them the basics of maintaining a home, but  if something more fun came along that was what we did.  I didn't spend tons of money on glue sticks to make some ridiculous wall hanging out of cardboard toilet paper tubes.  Yes,  That is a real thing on Pinterest.  And the people who do that, have to much fucking time on their hands.

The worst are the ones who join scammy MLMs and think they're the next Joy Mangano. No, you are not going to get rich harassing your Facebook friends to buy overpriced jewelry/nail stickers/essential oils/sex toys/tote bags/dubious health products. You just wasted hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars and annoyed all your friends.

That said, I think those MLMs are really sleazy for targeting housewives who want to make a few extra bucks, but don't have the time, education, or business know-how to start something for themselves. At best, they're a waste of time and money. At worst, they're downright criminal.

I will give Sierra credit for at least doing something on her own and not going with an MLM scheme, but she definitely has that "MY LIFE MUST BE PINTEREST" vibe going.

Who would want to purchase something made from a home that has had no kind of inspection? I am also one of those who doesn't buy bake sale items because you have no clue on the conditions of the kitchen in which it was made. Add in many young kids and germs, no thanks and definitely not for that price. 

9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The worst are the ones who join scammy MLMs and think they're the next Joy Mangano. No, you are not going to get rich harassing your Facebook friends to buy overpriced jewelry/nail stickers/essential oils/sex toys/tote bags/dubious health products. You just wasted hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars and annoyed all your friends.

That said, I think those MLMs are really sleazy for targeting housewives who want to make a few extra bucks, but don't have the time, education, or business know-how to start something for themselves. At best, they're a waste of time and money. At worst, they're downright criminal.

I will give Sierra credit for at least doing something on her own and not going with an MLM scheme, but she definitely has that "MY LIFE MUST BE PINTEREST" vibe going.

I can count on one hand my SAHM friends who do NOT sell Rodan and Fields.  

14 hours ago, calimojo said:

I crack up at all of these "professional Moms" who pat themselves on the back for being a stay at home mom, and yet they are spending more time trying to the latest Pinterest trend, and trying to get a useless home economy going that their kids are not getting any more attention than some of us moms who are leaving the house to go to work

I give anyone credit who actually puts themselves out there and tries to earn a living, no matter how ridiculous or Pinterest-y it may be. I think it's shallow and rude to tear people down for at least trying to have it all. The United States is a terrible place to try to have a career and a family simultaneously and some women aren't ready to give up one for the other, even though they may have to. Have you seen the cost of childcare lately? 

16 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

Sure I did.  I understand that some people believe that she is in violation because they believe that she is selling her product on the internet.  She is requiring customers to pick up the products, and she is careful to call the Instagram responses pre-orders - with an invoice to be sent.  That does not meet the definition of internet sales.  (I did say this in the post you quoted.)

Regardless of anyone's opinion about how these people live their lives and overpopulate the world with too many poorly educated children, reporting her isn't going to accomplish much since she seems to be carefully operating within the rules.

Sierra Jo Dominguez is breaking the law in Arkansas.  She is offering this food for sale on the Internet. And, she's taking the orders over the Internet.  She posted this: "Leave PayPal and order below."  The fact that she requires people to pick up the orders doesn't change the fact that people have to order and pay for their orders on the Internet, instead of "direct from the manufacturer."

This is what the law is: (bolding and underlining is from the government site)

"ld. 2. Who and where can Cottage Food be sold? Cottage food items can only be sold direct from the manufacturer to the consumer either from the site where the food is made, a farmer’s market, a county fair, or special event. Internet sales of Cottage Food is not allowed."

See #2 on page 3:

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/programsServices/environmentalHealth/foodProtection/Documents/CottageFoodGuidelines.pdf

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The most egregious MLMs are such cash cows. Like that Shakeology cult. They had a convention for their sellers here in Nashville last year in which they shut down all of Broadway (the main tourist drag) one evening to have a huge private concert and street party. It was a fairly known artist they had performing, though I don't remember who it was. (I was too busy being annoyed that my evening commute was blocked by a horde of tipsy neon yoga pants wearing ladies). The kind of money that a company has to spend to do something like that is insane. If people enjoy using and shilling the product, that's cool I guess, but it's jaw dropping the amount of money companies like that make. 

All right, so let's go after some lady in Arkansas for breaking the law by selling chocolate covered strawberries to her neighbours over the internet. That sounds like a really worthy crusade and a valuable use of everyone's time.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived