IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez Abysmal Wedding Planner Part 2

Coconut Flan

On 2/19/2016 at 0:07 PM, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I grew up with breakfast, lunch and supper. The term supper could easily be exchanged for dinner, though. Except on Sundays. Sunday dinner was always a late lunch in the afternoon.

I grew up that Breakfast was your first meal, Lunch was your second meal, Dinner was your last and typically largest meal. My mom is Italian-American so a second lunch or a second dinner was far from unusual. Supper was the southern dialect word for dinner. Also Brunch is when you combine breakfast and lunch on a sunday because A. you go to a church that doesn't break for lunch or B. Seafood makes a damn good first meal. 

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tumblr said:

I grew up that Breakfast was your first meal, Lunch was your second meal, Dinner was your last and typically largest meal. My mom is Italian-American so a second lunch or a second dinner was far from unusual. Supper was the southern dialect word for dinner. Also Brunch is when you combine breakfast and lunch on a sunday because A. you go to a church that doesn't break for lunch or B. Seafood makes a damn good first meal. 

Where I grew up (North of England), breakfast was the morning meal, dinner was noon-ish (school dinners!) and tea was the evening meal - but when I say evening, I mean like 4pm.  Then supper before bed, which was generally a bowl of cereal.

Such a culture shock when I moved down south and people a. called the evening meal dinner instead of tea! and b. ate it at like 9pm!  I can't eat a big meal past 8pm even to this day.

I grew up with breakfast, lunch and tea. Supper was the snack (cookie and milk/hot chocolate) that you had before going to bed.
I now say dinner instead of tea, except that when I say dinner I mean a warm meal, so sometimes we have dinner at noon and I think the evening becomes "sandwich time"

I hadn't heard of 'tea' as a meal until someone (from England) in a mommy group I was a part of mentioned 'tea' in reference to her baby. I thought she was giving the baby actual tea. Ha! 

West Coast of Scotland here, breakfast in the morning, lunch at noonish or school dinners if at school, tea at 5pm and supper at 8pm before going to bed.

20 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I hadn't heard of 'tea' as a meal until someone (from England) in a mommy group I was a part of mentioned 'tea' in reference to her baby. I thought she was giving the baby actual tea. Ha! 

I remember babies in England with tea in their bottles. Probably mostly milk, but...well everything there can be cured with a nice cup of tea. :laughing-rollingyellow:

21 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

South African born Australian here - I frequently use the word tea to describe dinner. Honestly, I rarely use the word dinner!

I also drink a lot of cups of tea too. 

To be honest, I am unsure where the habits come from because when I was born in SA they were still part of the Commonwealth and didn't become a republic for a long time after that. Australia is also still a part of the Commonwealth and it is extremely common for Tea to be offered just as much (if not more) than a cup of coffee.

I'm boring Midwestern US with Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

As far as tea for a meal, I have learned something new, but my SIL, who is very directly Polish, fed her son some sort of "baby" tea (her words) and my son also loved it when he visited...

Australian here.  We call it breakfast, lunch and dinner, but growing up in the 70s dinner could also be called tea.

And as @CorruptionInc. says, tea is an extremely common drink here.  I have never drunk it - never liked the taste.  I'm fifty this year but my mother still hasn't given up hope that I'll be converted to her addiction.  My grandmother used to call it the nectar of the gods.  

Now I am curious, if you were to have the 5 recommended foods a day, how would you call them, at what time would you eat them and how big would they be?

14 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I remember babies in England with tea in their bottles. Probably mostly milk, but...well everything there can be cured with a nice cup of tea. :laughing-rollingyellow:

Yep, when I drink tea I get comments from people about how I'm drinking baby tea because I like a lot of milk in it lol

I'm Australian and my mum's family say breakfast, dinner and tea. They're very old school. And will only use "lunch" if it is a cold lunch.

I grew up with breakfast, lunch and tea.

My husband and I do the same, although we use tea and dinner interchangeably for our evening meal.

West Coast of Scotland here, breakfast in the morning, lunch at noonish or school dinners if at school, tea at 5pm and supper at 8pm before going to bed.

Five meals? What do you typically eat for these meals?

10 hours ago, Karma said:

Australian here.  We call it breakfast, lunch and dinner, but growing up in the 70s dinner could also be called tea.

And as @CorruptionInc. says, tea is an extremely common drink here.  I have never drunk it - never liked the taste.  I'm fifty this year but my mother still hasn't given up hope that I'll be converted to her addiction.  My grandmother used to call it the nectar of the gods.  

I never used to be into tea when I was in my early 20's. However the girls I were working with at the time started me off on teas that had things like lemon and mint mixed in with them and that eased me into the taste. :)

My sister had to be "trained" to drink beer as she originally couldn't stand the taste. She drinks beer most of the time now.

12 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I never used to be into tea when I was in my early 20's. However the girls I were working with at the time started me off on teas that had things like lemon and mint mixed in with them and that eased me into the taste. :)

My sister had to be "trained" to drink beer as she originally couldn't stand the taste. She drinks beer most of the time now.

That was me.  Love it now!

1 hour ago, actuallyjessica said:

I'm Australian and my mum's family say breakfast, dinner and tea. They're very old school. And will only use "lunch" if it is a cold lunch.

I grew up with breakfast, lunch and tea.

My husband and I do the same, although we use tea and dinner interchangeably for our evening meal.

Five meals? What do you typically eat for these meals?

For me breakfast is cereal and toast, lunch is usually a sandwich and soup, tea is a proper meal like gammon steaks with potatoes and cauliflower cheese (my fav meal), supper is just something small like a cookie with milk or toast.

School dinners are a hot or cold option with a dessert or fruit for afters. A hot option could be something like spag bol, fish and chips and chicken curry, a cold option could be tuna pasta salad, chicken salad and roast beef salad, your dessert choice could be iced ginger cake with custard, syrup sponge pudding with custard and lemon cake with custard, there is also fresh fruit and yogurt if you want that.  This is just a small selection of what's on offer at my daughters school at lunchtime.

34 minutes ago, caszandra said:

For me breakfast is cereal and toast, lunch is usually a sandwich and soup, tea is a proper meal like gammon steaks with potatoes and cauliflower cheese (my fav meal), supper is just something small like a cookie with milk or toast.

School dinners are a hot or cold option with a dessert or fruit for afters. A hot option could be something like spag bol, fish and chips and chicken curry, a cold option could be tuna pasta salad, chicken salad and roast beef salad, your dessert choice could be iced ginger cake with custard, syrup sponge pudding with custard and lemon cake with custard, there is also fresh fruit and yogurt if you want that.  This is just a small selection of what's on offer at my daughters school at lunchtime.

We used to get liver and boiled cabbage. No choices. Steamed pud and custard for dessert, though. We didn't get liver every day.

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

We used to get liver and boiled cabbage. No choices. Steamed pud and custard for dessert, though. We didn't get liver every day.

Yeah school dinners are much nicer than they used to be, there is a lot of choice now in the menu, parents get to go into school and try school dinners once a year, it was really nice and not at all like I remember from my school days. 

13 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I thought maybe I had found a tea I could drink when T2 had a chocolate tea.  Such a a disappointment! 

I wonder if Sierra is going to make an appearance in the new Duggar show? I'm sure there'll be plenty of parties to plan.

11 hours ago, Karma said:

I thought maybe I had found a tea I could drink when T2 had a chocolate tea.  Such a a disappointment! 

Really? :( Usually most things go alright in tea. Sorry to hear it wasn't great!

On 24/02/2016 at 1:00 AM, Karma said:

I'm from NZ and my dad asks me almost every night if I'd like a cup of tea despite me never having drunk it...he also calls it the nectar of the gods haha. It's very commonly drunk here too, I am a definite outlier in my family for not being a tea drinker! I also grew up with meals being called breakfast (brekkie), lunch and tea. I usually say dinner though.

I was taught that dinner is your main meal of the day (Pennsylvania & Maryland). We had it in the evening. Some (farmfolks often) had their dinner at noon, and then their evening meal was supper. It would be a light meal, perhaps bread and soup or cheese and sausages, whatever.

Growing up in the South, I never knew tea was served in any other fashion but ice cold with multiple cups of diabetes powder (sugar) dissolved in the water prior to steeping. My husband's family has spent significant time traveling abroad, that's when I learned there were different types of tea, it can be loose leaf, and it can be served hot. My eyes have been opened! 

I love tea. My daughter in law is from China and she and my son currently live in London so I get the best of both Chinese and British loose leaf blends from them! I have several different infusers but just ordered 3 of these in different colours. They're called "Baby Nessie " infusers and I think they'll become my new favourite:

image.jpeg

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived