IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Pt 7 - Y'all Wanna Pay for My Vacation?

happy atheist

Add me to the list of people who thinks it's annoying AF when dad's say they're "babysitting." My husband would never say that. I also hate when women act like men are so inept at taking care of children. I got into a massive fight with someone on a mommy board who was asking for advice as to what to add to a "to do" list while her husband "babysat" while she went out shopping. I asked why she's treating him like an idiot when they have a 9 month old who he should already know how to take care of. That didn't go over well.

I wouldn't doubt if Jim Boob bought them followers. Or if they signed up for one of those services where you automatically get them, then just deleted the ones you were supposed to follow back.

The "men are incompetent at raising children" trope is so harmful to both genders: it assumes that women are always nurturing and "natural mothers" and places undue burden on women as caregivers, and it tells men that they're stupid/incompetent and that nurturing and caring for a child is "unnatural" for them, because that's the woman's job. Sitcoms and ads that show dads completely unable to care for their children (then mom comes home and cleans up after her idiot husband who Just Can't Do Anything Right) certainly don't help things.

My dad couldn't be quite as hands-on as my mom when my sister and I were young because he worked full-time and frequently had to travel for business, but he handled as much childcare as he could when we were little and never called it babysitting. He called it what it was: being a father.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prior to all the scandals, TLC did an episode where Josh had to stay home with the kids while Anna went to do something with visiting J-Slaves. Of course he was suddenly a bumbling idiot. He couldn't handle them at the store as well as at home. It seemed too faked for the sake of it. Granted he was the #1 son, but you'd think that with 18 siblings he'd have some clue. Also, aside from the Duggars, the general American advertising industry loves to perpetuate the "Oh no, Dad is "babysitting" drama/stereotype as well.

Has anyone seen Duhricks latest Insta post? He's "babysitting" Israel. I just can't even...

Babysitting? It's called being a father and a parent. My father never referred to himself as a babysitter or babysitting. Then again both of my parents were hands on parents.

I find it really shocking that a man would call taking care of his own kids "babysitting". The Duggars are the only ones I've ever heard say this. Even my dad, who, for all his good qualities, was really not the most involved father, NEVER would have said he was "babysitting" my sister and I. Frankly, given the emphasis these people place on patriarchy and worshiping fathers, you'd think they wouldn't want to diminish the father's role by using such language.

I cannot see the photo as I am not a follower. Did it say where Jelly Muffin went that he had to babysit? I'm surprised she's capable of functioning away from him...

Oh, people referring to men caring for their own children as "babysitting" is super common. I've offended many a friend and acquaintance with my reaction when they referred to their husbands' "babysitting" their kids. Growing up, I thought it was a cultural thing but after being exposed to the wider world I soon learned it's practically universal even if the term "babysitting" isn't actually used. Even among the most progressive people I know, men taking care of their children on their own is still treated as a bit of an anomaly. I know so many "good fathers" who do a lot of the day to day tasks of childrearing but still couldn't tell you their pediatricians' name, or have to be constantly reminded of the right brand of diapers or whatever to buy. It's fucked up on multiple levels but I'm giving Derick a tiny bit of a pass, only because it's so widespread.

I disagree that you can tell how involved Derick is as a parent just because he had a temporary brain fart and used an incorrect word. How do you know Derick is an absent parent? Actually, considering that him and Jill are usually attached at the hips 24/7, I would think he's probably as much involved in the parenting as his wife. Jill did say that Derick does most of the baby duties minus feeding and honestly, from the photos I've seen, I think Izzy generally looks the happiest when he's with his dad. Derick clearly adores his son IMO. I don't think he was showing off or acting like he deserved some kind of special credit for being a parent. I think Derick posted that pic because for him, it IS special and rare to spend alone time with Izzy without Jill or anyone else around. I'm sure he didn't expect that the mommy police was gonna come after him because he used "babysit" instead of another word.

I wasn't specifically talking about Derick in my post. I have no clue how involved he is in his kids life based on a handful of photos. Not sure where I said he was an absent parent. I was talking about many dads that I know. (The part right after my statement you put in bold.)

The "men are incompetent at raising children" trope is so harmful to both genders: it assumes that women are always nurturing and "natural mothers" and places undue burden on women as caregivers, and it tells men that they're stupid/incompetent and that nurturing and caring for a child is "unnatural" for them, because that's the woman's job. Sitcoms and ads that show dads completely unable to care for their children (then mom comes home and cleans up after her idiot husband who Just Can't Do Anything Right) certainly don't help things.

My dad couldn't be quite as hands-on as my mom when my sister and I were young because he worked full-time and frequently had to travel for business, but he handled as much childcare as he could when we were little and never called it babysitting. He called it what it was: being a father.

I think you all would appreciate Doyin Richards. He was the guy in the viral picture -- he had one daughter in an ergo and was doing the other's hair. He is adamant that "babysitting" isn't what a father does; a father raises a child. He also writes about moms giving dads just a bit more space to parent in their own way. He has a great perspective to share (this isn't quite the article I was looking for, but it's an interview which has most of the info for which I'm searching): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/par ... e20655009/

A friend of mine gushed on facebook about how lucky she is to have such a wonderful husband because he was "babysitting" for a day. Gah.

This screengrab wasn't the part of the episode that shows Jill struggling with math. Like the above poster said, the episode shows Jill holding a box of minute rice and trying to figure out how many cups she would need for three people.

she was pregnant then, right? no offense meant to anyone, but ime math skills and memory were two of the first things to vacate while i was pregnant. :lol:

I watched it on my DVR yesterday. There was no footage of her looking at a rice box and trying to convert things.

From my recap:

Race" part 3

Jana and Jill attempt to follow a recipe. There is a box of minute rice on the island.

All the duggars try and pronounce what she's making. It is a traditional dish.

Apparently theres a lot to cook... JIll laughs at chopping onions "finely." She's not familiar with all the herbs...

Jana says they make TT casserole. This isnt like that and takes longer and has SPICES! :pink-shock:

Jana is confused because its a small portion

Jill doesnt know how to make a small amount of instant rice. She's used to "big pots." Hopefully its OK for what he tasted in Nepal. She didnt have the right spices so hopefully it will be similar.

JIll - this will be nice becaues the first trimester she didnt cook.

Jana chops and JIll talks to the camera.

Jana - I dont know how this is supposed to look, or taste, or smell. Hopefully this turns out but I guess we'll eat it anyway

Justin and Jordan are going with Jessa (they're her "little buddies") to go register for their registry (HINT HINT HINT we have a registry)... They're in walmart...

They scan pizza cutters, bowls, pans, pots... tea kettle, crockpot, measuring cup...

Josie would register for peanut butter and bread...

Jessa - we have a lot to register for because they are building from the ground up.

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25197&p=889173&hilit=jill+rice+jana#p889173

It's simple to solve the how much rice to make question. 1cup of instant rice makes two servings, 2 cups of rice makes 4. So, each half cup makes 1serving. It's not rocket science. If she was cooking so much as a child, she should be able to figure out simple ratios especially when converting a 4 serving recipe to 18+ servings.

I really think that the Duggars have never followed recipes beyond:

Big pot/pan

Fill it up with X,Y, Z- boil or bake.

Catching up--I, too, hate referring to either parent as a babysitter. I also hate that we talk about working moms, but not working dads.

As for Jill and the rice recipe. I really don't think she's that stupid. If she was "struggling with math" for the recipe, I suspect that it was for the show. Duggar girls probably think it's sweet/appropriate/funny for girls to be bad at math.

I watched it on my DVR yesterday. There was no footage of her looking at a rice box and trying to convert things.

But it was Minute Rice. That stuff is precooked, it's doesn't expand like regular rice so there's zero guesswork with it. The instructions are right on the box. That Jill was having trouble figuring out the amount she needed inherently means that she couldn't do simple math. Now, it's highly likely that the whole thing was faked, because TLC loves to do that whole, "I'm so used to doing everything supersized that small numbers are weird to me!" schtick, but assuming for a minute that Jill is as honest as her religious beliefs tell us she's supposed to be...the girl is stupid.

I never got ricegate. The theme for the first few episodes of that season was "Jill still hasn't learned to cook for 2 people instead of 20," showing their freezer because she always makes too much food. When she was going to make the rice in that episode, she appeared to be struggling with figuring out how much rice three people would eat, not that she couldn't do very basic math. I agree with SassyPants, I don't think the Duggars ever thought about "serving size," they just emptied boxes and bags of food into something to cook it with and never bothered (or didn't care to) see how much each kid ate.

I have a hard time taking anything like this seriously. TLC is usually the mastermind behind these riveting segments. "Okay girls, we're gonna do a scene where you're having trouble figuring out how to cook for so few people! Really play up how difficult this is for you!" The original plot of the series was "How DO they do it with SO MANY kids?!" The plot of the girls' post-marriage episodes: "How DO they do it now that they're ONLY living with ONE other person?!"

I saw it originally and saw when Jill struggled with figuring out how much it would be for three people. I thought at the time that the issue was that the instructions on the box said how much to make for two but not for three. Now this was a while ago and I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I thought that's what it was.

I never got ricegate. The theme for the first few episodes of that season was "Jill still hasn't learned to cook for 2 people instead of 20," showing their freezer because she always makes too much food. When she was going to make the rice in that episode, she appeared to be struggling with figuring out how much rice three people would eat, not that she couldn't do very basic math. I agree with SassyPants, I don't think the Duggars ever thought about "serving size," they just emptied boxes and bags of food into something to cook it with and never bothered (or didn't care to) see how much each kid ate.

You're exactly right. She wasn't trying to figure out how to make 3 servings, per the box instructions. She was trying to figure out how much rice the three of them would end up eating. The recipe she printed out didn't specify how much rice to make. (Though I think a box of text popped up in the corner saying the recipe called for 3 cups...so I don't know what that's about exactly.)

I would hope that Cathy is enjoying her time with Izzy. That is the good side benefit of them languishing in Arkansas. It is all just strange beyond belief....the whole pretend missionary gig.

I would hope that Cathy is enjoying her time with Izzy. That is the good side benefit of them languishing in Arkansas. It is all just strange beyond belief....the whole pretend missionary gig.

Good point. I hope Cathy is getting a lot of time with them. Though I suspect not as much as she should.

Good point. I hope Cathy is getting a lot of time with them. Though I suspect not as much as she should.

If the cameras are rolling, she might be competing with JB and DQ but probably not otherwise. I hope that she does get to see him though. Honestly, I think Izzy will need her!

As for Jill and the rice recipe. I really don't think she's that stupid.

Nah, she's that stupid. :lol:

That is so weird because I remember watching that episode and clearly remember her looking at the directions on a box of rice and trying to figure out how much to make. Maybe it was "revised"?

I also remember two episodes when the Duggars were in their prime and DQ was off with the older girls to do a speaking engagement or something like that and Boob said he was babysitting the younger kids. So, Jill probably told Derick that is what he was doing when he watched Izzy b/c that is how Jill was brought up. That her father was a babysitter.

I honestly can't believe that the Dillard's have been prayed over by their church and had a going away party with their fund raisers and yet, are still here in the country. Best missionaries assignment ever!

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived