IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Pt 7 - Y'all Wanna Pay for My Vacation?

happy atheist

Anyone else think Derrick looks worse now with his teeth straightened and his jaw re-done? I do. His old face was endearing. This, not so much.

:roll:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to go back to something posted a bit earlier about why Derrick left his Wal-Mart job. Maybe he just wasn't very good at it. I know he graduated from a real college and was able to get a job offer but that doesn't automatically mean he did well there. There are plenty of people who get a first job out of college and struggle with demands that full time work brings. Being diligent, efficient, prompt and thorough on the job aren't a given for everyone - even if they made it through college. Combine that with heavy duty brain washing about not being under the authority of women and frequent absences for filming and, really, it is surprising that he lasted as long as he did.

I wanted to go back to something posted a bit earlier about why Derrick left his Wal-Mart job. Maybe he just wasn't very good at it.

ITA! Also, he may have simply just not liked it as well. I've said it before, I think he really has wanderlust.

I wanted to go back to something posted a bit earlier about why Derrick left his Wal-Mart job. Maybe he just wasn't very good at it. I know he graduated from a real college and was able to get a job offer but that doesn't automatically mean he did well there. There are plenty of people who get a first job out of college and struggle with demands that full time work brings. Being diligent, efficient, prompt and thorough on the job aren't a given for everyone - even if they made it through college. Combine that with heavy duty brain washing about not being under the authority of women and frequent absences for filming and, really, it is surprising that he lasted as long as he did.

Wasn't he only there a short time, though? Which included considerable time off for paternity leave and surgery? ITA that many people struggle to acclimate to their first full time job but the vast majority of us have to get used it at some point since TLC isn't an option for paying our bills :)

I don't know enough about Derek's beliefs but doesn't his mom work? At Wal-Mart as well? I would imagine a guy who respects his mom (and he seems to) who is in the workforce would have trouble accepting that whole "don't submit to a woman at work" thing because of his experience with his own mom. I'm sure he wouldn't want men feeling contempt for working under his mom should that be the case.

I know I'm applying logic to Duggars and their circle, but seriously if your example growing up was a smart and capable mom in the workforce* wouldn't your baseline be that it's absurd to balk reporting to someone like her?

(Just to clarify I'm not equating being smart and capable with being in the workforce. I know plenty of women who do not have jobs who are both and plenty who are gainfully employed who are neither...just speaking to his role model from my limited understanding of his relationship with his family.)

ITA! Also, he may have simply just not liked it as well. I've said it before, I think he really has wanderlust.

I think he: A) Is making decisions based on what the Lord wants him to do, but meh, signals get crossed....and B) he's listening to JB and Jill haranguing him about money first, THEN finding a way to funnel it through the Lord. I'm sure it gets confusing.

So Pickles has posted a link to the blog of a voluntourist from SOS Ministries. It is a treasure trove, but I'm still working my way through it. You will all be glad to hear that SOS Ministries now operates in 7 countries! The United States, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nigeria, Benin and Mid-Asia. Mid-Asia is one of my favoritest countries!

There are some lovely SOS insights, including a lack of historical knowledge about the church, cultural insensitivity, and rants about Mary, that useless mother of Jesus. Worth a read, if you can do so without your eyeballs popping out.

windsongphotoblog.com/2014/09/16/gods-work-in-el-salvador-part-1/

So Pickles has posted a link to the blog of a voluntourist from SOS Ministries. It is a treasure trove, but I'm still working my way through it. You will all be glad to hear that SOS Ministries now operates in 7 countries! The United States, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nigeria, Benin and Mid-Asia. Mid-Asia is one of my favoritest countries!

There are some lovely SOS insights, including a lack of historical knowledge about the church, cultural insensitivity, and rants about Mary, that useless mother of Jesus. Worth a read, if you can do so without your eyeballs popping out.

If Mid-Asia means Central Asia, I'd be really curious to know what Stan they're operating in. Obviously Afghanistan and Pakistan are right out, Uzbekistan seems like it would have too much red tape (their regime is particularly oppressive), Tajikistan is very overwhelmingly Muslim and probably wants to stay that way (and I think it's a bit more serious about its Islam than Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan), and I guess that leaves Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan. Since Kazakhstan is the most developed of the three, I'd assume that they'd operate there.

I wonder if whatever they were going to do in Central America fell through and now they are stuck. Their month in the United States has turned into almost two with no end in sight. Maybe the organization they were going to "work" with is having second thoughts becuase of the negative attention on Jill and Derrick. Maybe with all the fraud allegations floating around the organization is worried that once it is know that Jill and Derrick are "working" with them, donors to the organization may get worried about fraud.

I'm confident that that hasn't happened, since I firmly believe their organization is SOS, and Mike Schadt was a featured speaker this week at Gothard's ALERT Family Camp. :roll:

I'm confident that that hasn't happened, since I firmly believe their organization is SOS, and Mike Schadt was a featured speaker this week at Gothard's ALERT Family Camp. :roll:

I mentioned this on the TLC sponsors thread, but on the SOS website they've got the Duggars featured there and have since 2011. Not just the Duggars, but they mention the Discovery channel as if they're a partner in getting the word out. I guess that's where the early mission work episodes aired? Not that it matters as TLC is owned by Discovery. SOS targets a lot of areas where Catholic Charities have done a lot of work, then they waltz in and "testify" to the poor Catholics hoping to convert them. The work of building schools and feeding the poor has probably already been taken care of by the nuns. Somewhere there was a blog post from someone with SOS bragging about testifying IN a Catholic church. Score!!!

The fact that Discovery Communications is promoting anti-Catholic bigotry (Ben Seewald had to remove a social media post blasting Catholics after his first SOS trip) and will do so if they spotlight the Dillard's "mission" work, should be exploited to fuck by all those trying to stop TLC from airing the new specials. IMO, anyway.

If Mid-Asia means Central Asia, I'd be really curious to know what Stan they're operating in. Obviously Afghanistan and Pakistan are right out, Uzbekistan seems like it would have too much red tape (their regime is particularly oppressive), Tajikistan is very overwhelmingly Muslim and probably wants to stay that way (and I think it's a bit more serious about its Islam than Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan), and I guess that leaves Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan. Since Kazakhstan is the most developed of the three, I'd assume that they'd operate there.

For a few reasons, I don't want to snark too hard on the blog writer, but I don't know about solid her grasp of geography is... From my understanding of her writing, "Mid-Asia" could cover a vast terrain. I'm a bit curious about Nigeria, too, since Boko Haram is quite active there. I wonder how accurate those statements are, and how much is publicity & nonsense.

I didn't look at the blog, so forgive me if the information was provided there. SOS's description of Mid-Asia is here: soshope.org/ministries/mid-asia/ I have asked FJ detectives in the past to Name! That! Country! by analyzing the photo, but so far, no dice. Here's the pic for folks who don't want to give Mike Schadt any clicks.

dzntQJ6h.jpg

(open the image in another tab and remove the h before .jpg for bigger)

I mentioned this on the TLC sponsors thread, but on the SOS website they've got the Duggars featured there and have since 2011. Not just the Duggars, but they mention the Discovery channel as if they're a partner in getting the word out. I guess that's where the early mission work episodes aired? Not that it matters as TLC is owned by Discovery. SOS targets a lot of areas where Catholic Charities have done a lot of work, then they waltz in and "testify" to the poor Catholics hoping to convert them. The work of building schools and feeding the poor has probably already been taken care of by the nuns. Somewhere there was a blog post from someone with SOS bragging about testifying IN a Catholic church. Score!!!

The fact that Discovery Communications is promoting anti-Catholic bigotry (Ben Seewald had to remove a social media post blasting Catholics after his first SOS trip) and will do so if they spotlight the Dillard's "mission" work, should be exploited to fuck by all those trying to stop TLC from airing the new specials. IMO, anyway.

Are you referring to the "SOS in the Media" link, or is there more blatant Discovery sponsorship that I don't see? The SOS in the Media page has been there for at least two years: http://web.archive.org/web/201312091414 ... ar-family/ and looks like garden variety self promotion to me. I agree with you that Discovery is awful for associating with the Duggars and their freaky fundie friends, but I'm not seeing a direct link to the network on Schadt's page.

I didn't look at the blog, so forgive me if the information was provided there. SOS's description of Mid-Asia is here: soshope.org/ministries/mid-asia/ I have asked FJ detectives in the past to Name! That! Country! by analyzing the photo, but so far, no dice. Here's the pic for folks who don't want to give Mike Schadt any clicks.

dzntQJ6h.jpg

(open the image in another tab and remove the h before .jpg for bigger)

Halcionne, you are such a super sleuth. :worship:

Well, that's an original photo, or at least they didn't steal it from somewhere else on the Internet. Probably been done, but has anyone checked the exif data on the photo? I'm mobile and can't open just the picture on a page to check.

Halcionne, you are such a super sleuth. :worship:

Heh, I got a bug in my bonnet over Mike Schadt a while back and made a thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25764 I kind of love the fact that it's the first google result if you search his name. I also backed up the entire SOS website to the wayback machine when I was in that phase. :disgust:

Heh, I got a bug in my bonnet over Mike Schadt a while back and made a thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25764 I kind of love the fact that it's the first google result if you search his name. I also backed up the entire SOS website to the wayback machine when I was in that phase. :disgust:

You are doing God's precious work. Thank you for your service. :pray:

Are you referring to the "SOS in the Media" link, or is there more blatant Discovery sponsorship that I don't see? The SOS in the Media page has been there for at least two years: http://web.archive.org/web/201312091414 ... ar-family/ and looks like garden variety self promotion to me. I agree with you that Discovery is awful for associating with the Duggars and their freaky fundie friends, but I'm not seeing a direct link to the network on Schadt's page.

Yes, that's what I was talking about, on the SOS page. I think I mentioned in my post that the page has stayed the same since 2011. You'd think that by now someone at Discovery Communications would have looked into what the organization was all about, but as I said in an email to them, it appears none of that matters when they seem to enjoy their bigotry wrapped in a package that bats it's eyelashes and curls it's hair.

This is a very good example of the anti-Catholic stance SOS (and the Duggards) promote with their "mission" work. This isn't a group that goes into a country to dig wells and feed the hungry as much as it's a "You're going to hell if you don't believe like us" promotional tour.

TLC, by extension, is promoting the same agenda whether they admit to it or not. They sure do drop the ball when it comes to vetting. I guess they don't realize there are 70 million Catholics in the US.

Do they have a mission in Malaysia? I know Janna and JD went on a "mission" there. It kind of sounds like middle Asia and I would not put it past a SOTDRT graduate to not know the difference.

Do they have a mission in Malaysia? I know Janna and JD went on a "mission" there. It kind of sounds like middle Asia and I would not put it past a SOTDRT graduate to not know the difference.
It's all "overseas" to them.

For a few reasons, I don't want to snark too hard on the blog writer, but I don't know about solid her grasp of geography is... From my understanding of her writing, "Mid-Asia" could cover a vast terrain. I'm a bit curious about Nigeria, too, since Boko Haram is quite active there. I wonder how accurate those statements are, and how much is publicity & nonsense.

I contacted SOS Ministries a few months ago asking for more information about their missionary work in Nigeria because I smelled a big fat rat looking at their website. I told SOS that I I had lived in Nigeria for two years (true, although I was <4 at the time) and was particularly interested in their water projects in Makoko and Ogun because I understood the need. I also asked about how donations were allocated and other highly threatening totally obvious budget questions that any prospective donor might inquire about. Unless the prospective donor was stupid, that is.

I got zero response. Not even a canned "thank you for your interest but how about funding our other efforts" response. Interesting, that.

Looking at that blog, "Mid-Asia" could probably mean anywhere from Malaysia to Uzbekistan to Sri Lanka. :shrug:

I thought Jana and JD went to Indonesia.

Their mission was to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore. I just thought that some uneducated girl may mistake Malasia for middle Asia.

I was just looking at the SOS website where they discuss what to expect on a mission trip:

1. Team Purpose:

To present and share the Gospel of Christ

Medical Clinics and Attention (including relief work, nutrition and food pantry ministry)

Teach English as a Second Language

Train, encourage, and work with indigenous pastors and missionaries

Minister to Orphans: Supply orphanage with cleaning supplies, clothes, food, toys, etc.; Engage in project: construct a playground, etc.; Special events: Christmas party, hold party on indigenous holiday, etc.; Come and play with them, hold them, love them!; Actually adopt them!; Have “Adopt an Orphan†Ministry- We need volunteers to spearhead this ministry; Minister the Word to them; bring Christian literature, Bibles, resources for older ones (tapes, films, etc.)

2. Team Tools:

Dramas, puppets, tracts, Christian literature, Bibles

School ministry, public village ministry, house to house visitation

Building Relationships and sharing the person and work of Christ

Equipping and Training

Conferences and seminars (for pastors, women, youth)

Construction projects

Medical with specialty doctors and nurses

They show pics on the website of digging wells but I get the feeling that's specific to a very few African trips. From what I've read, it's a lot more about hounding people to let them into their homes. Why dig a well when you can put on a puppet show or stage a drama?

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived