IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Pt 7 - Y'all Wanna Pay for My Vacation?

happy atheist

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the author deleted all the comments.

The blogger who'd gone on the SOS mission? I saw one when I checked just now and left another. We'll see how long it lasts.

The blogger who'd gone on the SOS mission? I saw one when I checked just now and left another. We'll see how long it lasts.

Yes. I saw those two comments but there were a bunch from earlier today and iirc last night.

Edited to add missing word.

Yes. I those two comments but there were a bunch from earlier today and iirc last night.

Well shoot. I looked at her blog post last night but neglected to read the comments. I hope they were prolifically negative.

There is one comment showing now, "Please stop with the Catholic persecution." I imagine that will be swiffered shortly. That entire blog is an offense.

There is one comment showing now, "Please stop with the Catholic persecution." I imagine that will be swiffered shortly. That entire blog is an offense.
Mine isn't showing? (From Michelle, just under the persecution one)

Their mission was to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore. I just thought that some uneducated girl may mistake Malasia for middle Asia.

Wasn't that the trip Priscilla went on and most of her comments about the trip consisted of insulting the cuisine of the three countries (which, SERIOUSLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR TASTE BUDS WOMAN)?

Wasn't that the trip Priscilla went on and most of her comments about the trip consisted of insulting the cuisine of the three countries (which, SERIOUSLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR TASTE BUDS WOMAN)?

Yes it was. It seemed more like a vacation then a mission. The kids even had a chance to ride an elephant.

If the cameras are rolling, she might be competing with JB and DQ but probably not otherwise. I hope that she does get to see him though. Honestly, I think Izzy will need her!

If the cameras are rolling and TLC is purposely avoiding the big Duggar family, Cathy might get to see Izzy mora... I hope.

I didn't look at the blog, so forgive me if the information was provided there. SOS's description of Mid-Asia is here: soshope.org/ministries/mid-asia/ I have asked FJ detectives in the past to Name! That! Country! by analyzing the photo, but so far, no dice. Here's the pic for folks who don't want to give Mike Schadt any clicks.

dzntQJ6h.jpg

(open the image in another tab and remove the h before .jpg for bigger)

I'm no expert, but based on what people in the picture are wearing and their skin tone, I'd guess this is maaayyyybe Pakistan (India and Bangladesh may also be contenders). I'm just leaving Afghanistan out of the possibility pool entirely. People in Central Asia tend to be lighter-skinned and sort of look like a mix of East Asian and European, and from what I can tell, most women in Kazakhstan/Turkmenistan/Tajikistan don't wear hijabs in that style normally. That looks very South Asian to me (opinion entirely based on other pictures and the different Muslim women I see while walking around in London -- a lot of older Pakistani and Bangladeshi women seem to dress like the woman in that photo). And salwar kameezes are much more South Asian than Central Asian.

So either they think that all countries east of Turkey and west of China are completely interchangeable blobs of EEBIL MOOZLIMS who need to be converted (remember how well that went for you last time, guys? Crusades, anyone?), or they're terrible at geography. Or both.

I'm no expert, but based on what people in the picture are wearing and their skin tone, I'd guess this is maaayyyybe Pakistan (India and Bangladesh may also be contenders). I'm just leaving Afghanistan out of the possibility pool entirely. People in Central Asia tend to be lighter-skinned and sort of look like a mix of East Asian and European, and from what I can tell, most women in Kazakhstan/Turkmenistan/Tajikistan don't wear hijabs in that style normally. That looks very South Asian to me (opinion entirely based on other pictures and the different Muslim women I see while walking around in London -- a lot of older Pakistani and Bangladeshi women seem to dress like the woman in that photo). And salwar kameezes are much more South Asian than Central Asian.

So either they think that all countries east of Turkey and west of China are completely interchangeable blobs of EEBIL MOOZLIMS who need to be converted (remember how well that went for you last time, guys? Crusades, anyone?), or they're terrible at geography. Or both.

This group doesn't seem inclined to go into areas that would be considered very dangerous. I'd eliminate Afghanistan as well as Pakistan and agree with India. Probably Delhi. They're going to fly in a group of people for a month who just want an experience. They don't seem to have people who are in these areas permanently unless they're "natives" that they've trained up. Staying close to an international airport is probably seen as a necessity.

Are they keeping Israel from Cathy? What did I miss?

No, they are not keeping Cathy away from Izzy.....I just said I am glad they are home wasting time as I think it is great Cathy can see her grandson. And I really am glad. She seems quite nice. And I don't understand really if she is fundie at all. No, no subversive moves to keep Izzy from his one good grandma.

This group doesn't seem inclined to go into areas that would be considered very dangerous. I'd eliminate Afghanistan as well as Pakistan and agree with India. Probably Delhi. They're going to fly in a group of people for a month who just want an experience. They don't seem to have people who are in these areas permanently unless they're "natives" that they've trained up. Staying close to an international airport is probably seen as a necessity.

My only mark against India is their very, very strict rules about proselytizing/missionary work. You need a special visa to do it, and you'll be deported/possibly prosecuted if you try to pull any shit on a tourist visa. They take it very seriously (and rightly so, considering the somewhat ugly history of missionaries in the Subcontinent during colonial times and the issues with religious strife that India's been dealing with since...forever, really), and I think SOS would likely be too lazy to go through the rigamarole of getting their clients special, costly visas (that take up to three months to get) for a month of dicking around and taking selfies with poor people. So maybe Bangladesh? As far as I know, they don't have such strict laws about missionaries.

Fingers crossed I trimmed the quote right....

I didn't know that about India having such strict laws. Well, that seems to eliminate them from contention. I fully expected the image to come up in Google as belonging to another site, but it didn't. The fact that they're so secretive about the location makes me wonder if they even really go anywhere in Central Asia. Accountability doesn't seem to be something the loyal require but it lends a certain gravitas to the group if they claim to be converting Muslims. That would probably bring in some big bucks.

Oh, and if their FB page is anything to go by, they do seem to be flying by the seat of their pants at times when it comes to getting passports and visas for those heading out on their missions.

As to their other locations, I've known nuns who worked in Central America. (Former Catholic but I still have family that's very involved.) They committed to being there for several years at a time, but then they had already established schools and clinics, etc. It wasn't a one month experience of selfies, fingernail painting and puppet shows. This is the sitcom of mission work, ending with the father figure giving the heathen a long talk and the heathen accepting the RIGHT Jesus. Smiles all around as the mission workers get the hell out of there and head back to their all you can eat buffet lives.

According to my Sri Lankan husband, that picture is from Pakistan. If they're that uneducated about Catholicism and so ignorant about cultures I wonder how terribly they act around Muslims in Muslim countries.

I started reading that article written by the SOS volunteer, but had to stop after she called the people in Central America precious and hard working. For some reason, that just hit me as extremely condescending.

I follow Derick and can still see all his stuff. He just posted a picture with James, who has apparently just passed his permitted driver test. No explanation of going private.

He just added me on IG. Hmmm.

According to my Sri Lankan husband, that picture is from Pakistan. If they're that uneducated about Catholicism and so ignorant about cultures I wonder how terribly they act around Muslims in Muslim countries.

I started reading that article written by the SOS volunteer, but had to stop after she called the people in Central America precious and hard working. For some reason, that just hit me as extremely condescending.

Hoping the Lord will lay it on the Pakistani consulate's heart to deny them visas. I really shudder to think how totally uninformed they are about Islam, and how racist they might act to the locals if their MO in Central America is anything to go by. Though Christians have a very hard time in Pakistan, especially as more extreme, fundamentalist forms of Islam gain political clout in the country. Maybe some fundies should go and see what actual persecution of Christians is like.

Speaking of tax exempt status, JB must be an expert at it. The house is used as a church sometimes so that's tax exempt. As long as he keeps the older kids home, he can claim them as dependents. I came from a small town that bordered on a cluster of old money estates. When the county upped the property taxes, they claimed their estates as "farmland," which was legal even if it just meant 2 or 3 sheep grazing on the front lawn. That might explain the sudden acquisition of farm animals at the Duggar compound. I have serious doubts about the Duggars having any ability to keep those cattle alive.

I was under the same impression that the TTH was a "church". If it is, does that make JB a mandatory reporter of child abuse? Looking at who is a mandatory reporter in Arkansas, I would say yes. Also, does being a homeschooler make Michelle a "teacher", therefore a mandatory reporter?

Here is the mandatory reporter list for Arkansas

https://www.rainn.org/pdf-files-and-oth ... sas09C.pdf

Hope that was okay to post.

There's a car in that picture that has its steering wheel on the left, suggesting (but not definitively, of course) that this country drives on the right side of the road. Most of the Indian subcontinent drives on the left. :think:

There's a car in that picture that has its steering wheel on the left, suggesting (but not definitively, of course) that this country drives on the right side of the road. Most of the Indian subcontinent drives on the left. :think:

They could have used a borrowed pic or used one from a personal trip. All this secrecy because of how dangerous it is, coupled with no documentation of past missions, sure does come in handy. I'll bet they've never been to wherever that picture was taken. Not on mission work anyway.

I agree that it could be Pakistan based on the Shalwar Kameez. I agree that its unlikely Kazakstan or its surrounding countries. The people there are far more Asiatic in appearance.

I spent wayyy too long last night looking at the hats the men were wearing to try and decipher the type of embroidery. All I got was that they are the typical hats worn by Sunni Muslims (which is most muslims). But they aren't the style of hats worn by Uyghurs and many of the ethnicities in Central Asia. For instance, Uzbekistan is not a majority Sunni country, so its not as likely they are there.

There is also writing in the background, but I can't make it out. If someone has a sharpening tool, they could try and see if the script is Cyrillic or Arabic. A lot of the former Soviet countries use Russian still, like most of the -stan countries. However, a lot of the countries use multiple scripts due to multiple cultures.

If it is Pakistan, they are very very stupid for risking themselves. It is unsafe as it is, let alone for those trying to convert people to Christianity.

So, as a Muslim, I'm guessing Pakistan....maybe maybe Bangladesh (but my gut feeling is Pakistan).

Writing could be urdu (which is similar to the Arabic and Persian/Farsi alphabets).

Pakistan has some Christians, some Shi'a Muslims, some Ahmadiyya Muslims...probably a few Bahai's....but the vast majority are Sunni Muslims. In general, the Muslims are busy fighting amongst themselves....but still, I would not suggest one go there and do anything which in any light could be seen as alienating somebody from Islam. Just from a practical standpoint, they are putting that person's life at risk. Pakistan is a country which has blasphemy laws on the books. You only need one crazy person to think that what you're doing is wrong to end up dead.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived