IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

Has it been discussed as to why Lawson even has an Instagram? Since it seems they are only allowed one once officially courting, it seems strange he has his own. Is it because he's a "singer"?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has it been discussed as to why Lawson even has an Instagram? Since it seems they are only allowed one once officially courting, it seems strange he has his own. Is it because he's a "singer"?

Because he has his own business and needed a phone for it. And, I'm pretty sure his parents couldn't really argue with it when he has a history of paying for things for them and his older siblings.

Have you guys heard that Michelle and Jim Bob are part of a swingers club?

Oh, that was a good one!

Because he has his own business and needed a phone for it. And, I'm pretty sure his parents couldn't really argue with it when he has a history of paying for things for them and his older siblings.

Lawson: Mom, Dad. I want an Instagram

Gil: No, Lawson, don't be ridiculous! You're only in your 20s and not married!

Lawson: Well... I guess you guys are going to have to start buying your own groceries then...

Kelly: Okay, fine! You can have an Instagram. But you're not allowed to look at @hot_bikini_babes... We will not have you turn into Josh Duggar.

Here's a reminder about Lawson...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tennessee-family-20-relies-thrift-teamwork-make-ends/story?id=14364190

"Lawson, 19, plays a crucial and many-faceted role. He started a lawn-mowing business when he was 13 that makes enough money to provide a rolling no-interest line of credit to his parents and siblings. Gil and Kelly reject debt of all kinds: no mortgage, car loan or credit cards. Lawson is their only creditor.

"They're good for it," Lawson said. "I don't need the money right now anyway."

"We call him the bank financier, because he is always lending to siblings, or lending to us, or he's the one that always has money in the account when the rest of us don't," said Kelly.

Lawson loaned Zach $1,000 for a car and Erin $2,000 for college. "Dad borrowed $4,000 or $5,000 for … well, mostly just to pay bills," Lawson said with a laugh.

Lawson is the self-appointed grocery shopper.

"Nobody else likes to do it, and I don't mind, so it works out pretty good," he said. Usually it's a one-cart affair, but "sometimes I end up getting another one."

It figures: The Bateses go through 7 gallons of milk and nine loaves of bread per week. If a sibling's birthday party is coming up -- as they do every month but two -- he has to buy four cartons of ice cream and two boxes of cake mix. If Gil hasn't been paid yet that week, Lawson puts the groceries -- a recent haul totaled $375.53 -- on his own debit card."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tennessee-family-20-relies-thrift-teamwork-make-ends/story?id=14364190

"Lawson, 19, plays a crucial and many-faceted role. He started a lawn-mowing business when he was 13 that makes enough money to provide a rolling no-interest line of credit to his parents and siblings. Gil and Kelly reject debt of all kinds: no mortgage, car loan or credit cards. Lawson is their only creditor.

"We call him the bank financier, because he is always lending to siblings, or lending to us, or he's the one that always has money in the account when the rest of us don't," said Kelly.

Lawson loaned Zach $1,000 for a car and Erin $2,000 for college. "Dad borrowed $4,000 or $5,000 for … well, mostly just to pay bills," Lawson said with a laugh.

"Nobody else likes to do it, and I don't mind, so it works out pretty good," he said. Usually it's a one-cart affair, but "sometimes I end up getting another one."

It figures: The Bateses go through 7 gallons of milk and nine loaves of bread per week. If a sibling's birthday party is coming up -- as they do every month but two -- he has to buy four cartons of ice cream and two boxes of cake mix. If Gil hasn't been paid yet that week, Lawson puts the groceries -- a recent haul totaled $375.53 -- on his own debit card."

Yeah, I can't see any way to get around him doing whatever he goddamn well pleases with regard to the instagram he accesses on the phone he pays for.  I mean, the Bates family probably has a little more money these days but it sounds like he's pretty much set on his own.

Yeah, I can't see any way to get around him doing whatever he goddamn well pleases with regard to the instagram he accesses on the phone he pays for.  I mean, the Bates family probably has a little more money these days but it sounds like he's pretty much set on his own.

The Bates family is not a carbon copy of the Duggars.  The girls wear slacks and have a lot more freedom, like going to college.  Lawson is making a name for himself as a singer/song writer.  Here's a release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvxUBW8IcTY

The Bates family is not a carbon copy of the Duggars.  The girls wear slacks and have a lot more freedom, like going to college.  Lawson is making a name for himself as a singer/song writer.  Here's a release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvxUBW8IcTY

Correct me if I am wrong, but:

Only Alyssa has been seen in pants. She is married and Kelly has shown her displeasure with the pants. Alyssa also reverts to skirts when in the Bates house.  Their house rules still include skirts only for girls (unless the activity calls for it and there are no boys to defraud). 

the bates and duggars have the same poisonous beliefs. their family life is slightly different and the parenting styles are different as well. But the foundation of their beliefs is the same. 

Well, as far as courtship, Michael addressed that She and Brandon held hands and hugged during courtship. They quickly decided to stop the hand holding, but continued the frontal hugs. I think that Zach and Whitney secretly dated and kissed.  They then talked to the folks and reverted to some type of official courtship. I think Chad and Erin had a traditional courtship (like Josh and Anna). I think Alyssa and John had a long "get to know you* period, because of her age. 

My point is that each couple sets their standards for courtship. (I believe that)

How many posts until I am active?

Well, as far as courtship, Michael addressed that She and Brandon held hands and hugged during courtship. They quickly decided to stop the hand holding, but continued the frontal hugs. I think that Zach and Whitney secretly dated and kissed.  They then talked to the folks and reverted to some type of official courtship. I think Chad and Erin had a traditional courtship (like Josh and Anna). I think Alyssa and John had a long "get to know you* period, because of her age. 

My point is that each couple sets their standards for courtship. (I believe that)

How many posts until I am active?

Well, they set the standards and then Gil and Kelly subtly or not so subtly edge them back into righteous courtship.

Hahaha! Sierra caters for these little events...with her special, sensual chocolate coated strawberries.

Michelle likes to stick one on each nipple in preparation for her next, ahem, guest.

That's so naughty...but I love it!:pb_lol:

Lawson probably got the IG to help promote his "music" too. Can't really sell CD's if no one knows who you are.

It is really gross that Lawson's parents use him as a bank. Lawson gets some points for having a work ethic, but I have to wonder when his parents plan to stop mooching off of him. The Bank of Lawson will need to close when he has his own eleventy kids to feed. Hopefully Lawson will have the courage to stand up for himself and say enough is enough.

That abc news link posted earlier blows my mind as to how much Lawson made, to be be able to loan that kind of money out back then. Is he still involved in the lawn care business or is that left to Trace to handle?

That abc news link posted earlier blows my mind as to how much Lawson made, to be be able to loan that kind of money out back then. Is he still involved in the lawn care business or is that left to Trace to handle?

That is, indeed, a lot of money, but I knew a guy in high school who funded his professional photography business solely on cutting grass. Not just the DSLR cameras every fundy blogger uses. I think he said his first camera cost $6000. Plus he bought lenses, a bag, tripod, etc. and then went on to buy another super whamadine film camera. Plus he got a rockin tan doin it.

Hopefully they can keep the lawn care business going because if Gil catches any more flak from IBLP and their show gets cancelled, that might be the real gravy train.

It's worth remembering that this was written four years ago, and the Bateses are better off now. This is one of those stories that some FJers have latched onto and use over and over as evidence that Gil & Kelly take advantage of Lawson. We don't know how many times it happened, whether it's still happening--which I doubt, since they have the show now--and if/when they paid him back. It's clear that it was a loan. And we know Gil does seasonal work, with good and bad months.

I hate to defend the Bateses, but this just doesn't bother me as much as it bothers a lot of you guys.

It's worth remembering that this was written four years ago, and the Bateses are better off now. This is one of those stories that some FJers have latched onto and use over and over as evidence that Gil & Kelly take advantage of Lawson. We don't know how many times it happened, whether it's still happening--which I doubt, since they have the show now--and if/when they paid him back. It's clear that it was a loan. And we know Gil does seasonal work, with good and bad months.

I hate to defend the Bateses, but this just doesn't bother me as much as it bothers a lot of you guys.

I'm not so much thinking that they rely on him anymore as I am thinking that this dynamic has created a power differential between Lawson and Gil/Kelly which is dramatically different than the differential between other fundie kids/parents both within and outside the Bates family.  This dynamic that they have set up could easily be why Lawson is able to bop around without a chaperone, have access to social media, etc etc etc when the other kiddults in IBLP/ATI generally aren't allowed these freedoms.  

Basic child psych- if you give the kid the power early, you really can't get it back later. 

Lawson: Mom, Dad. I want an Instagram

Gil: No, Lawson, don't be ridiculous! You're only in your 20s and not married!

Lawson: Well... I guess you guys are going to have to start buying your own groceries then...

Kelly: Okay, fine! You can have an Instagram. But you're not allowed to look at @hot_bikini_babes... We will not have you turn into Josh Duggar.

Hahahaha 

Lawson: Can I get my own Instagram account?

Gil: No! You'll be defrauded! You can only get an account after you begin a courtship!

Lawson: I paid for my own phone, I'm responsible. Please?

Gil: Not under my roof! If you get an account before you start courting you're out on your own:

Lawson: That's fine! I make enough money to get my own place. I can finally get privacy for once! It will be great to be able to talk to a girl without one of my siblings eavesdropping.

Gil: No no no no! Stay! You can have all the social media access you want! 

That is, indeed, a lot of money, but I knew a guy in high school who funded his professional photography business solely on cutting grass. Not just the DSLR cameras every fundy blogger uses. I think he said his first camera cost $6000. Plus he bought lenses, a bag, tripod, etc. and then went on to buy another super whamadine film camera. Plus he got a rockin tan doin it.

Hopefully they can keep the lawn care business going because if Gil catches any more flak from IBLP and their show gets cancelled, that might be the real gravy train.

Just curious, since I've read several times on free jinger that lawn mowing seems to be quite a lucrative business in the US, how much does one make in a state like Arkansas or Tennessee?

I agree. I also think these kids have more freedom than we think.  I've been following the Bates and Duggars since 2008. I posted the old interview just to point out that it isn't always black and white. Another guy is listed as the owner of Lawson's Lawn Care on the Facebook page and other internet pages, but Lawson's website says he manages it. I've been confused by that. I wonder if he is no longer involved and is just an entertainer now.

Just curious, since I've read several times on free jinger that lawn mowing seems to be quite a lucrative business in the US, how much does one make in a state like Arkansas or Tennessee?

I am in Nebraska so not that close to those states. But I know that "independent" people out here charge about $20-$25 for a standard size lawn in the suburbs. I assume more for large acreages and whatnot though. (I only know this because I'm on a neighborhood website and I've seen people advertise their services.)

There is more than one Lawson's Lawn Care in their area. There are others in other states. I hope Lawson has been able to have franchises. (I'm not serious, don't jump on me)

I do know a boy who started a lawn business as part of a business class in highschool. He has been very successful and employs his father and others. They do landscaping as well.

I'm not from Arkansas or Tennessee, but we paid $25/month year round for our city size lot in Tallahassee, Fl. It was a one-man show and I'm not sure how many accounts he had. I know he did most of our neighborhood on the same day though.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived