IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

Wow, and here I thought $25 each time was cheap. $25 a month is crazy cheap! We briefly had someone do our yard when my husband was injured (and I had no desire to mow) and I think it was around $30 each time from a larger landscaping company.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We hired a woman with a lawn service who did our fertilizing and spraying. (I don't know what all) We have always mowed our own yard. I can't remember how much it was but she came around four times a year I think. It was probably $60.00 each time.

Just curious, since I've read several times on free jinger that lawn mowing seems to be quite a lucrative business in the US, how much does one make in a state like Arkansas or Tennessee?

In Florida during the summer we have to mow our lawn basically twice a week so if you calculate basically having the yard person come every week or even every 2 weeks, and throw in occasional hedge clipping or whatever else is done, you can make bank in the right area.

I live outside of Raleigh.  We have 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots.  I asked the Christian teenagers who live around the corner what they charge to do the two houses next to me because I thought that would give my husband more free time (in the warm months the lawn has to mowed every week because we get a lot of rain and heat.) $50.00 a time.  And that is only to do the front lawn and not the back. And that is all they do, they don't trim hedges or weed or edge.

It largely depends on how much room you have and what other services you have them do. HomeAdvisor says that $100-200 a month is the average range in the US (with over $1500 being the highest bracket) for just the lawn. Gardening can be $20-50 a month on average. It can be substantially more if he offers any services like landscape design, pool or pond maintenance, etc.

Assuming he's doing 3 hours per place at $100 a pop (which seems to be on the low end for 3 hours of work), he could do 3 houses a day and make $300 a day.

I just got quoted $49 for only mowing in Texas. My yards are only about 20'x40' each... The high schooler I did have doing it moved to college, but even he wanted $30 a mow, took him maybe half an hour.

Remember that Lawson has no bills to pay. Your ordinary lawn care guy has to pay rent, heat, electricity, etc, etc., and may be supporting a family with his income. Lawson is making the same amount but is living free at his parents' place, so all his salary goes into his pocket. He probably pays for his own car and phone, but even there he might be saving by piggybacking off family insurance and phone plans. From that perspective, a grocery shop or even a tuition bill is not that much. I very much hope he's putting a lot of that money into savings!

(Obviously the lawn care business has to pay for its own expenses, probably including a truck and expensive equipment; I'm just talking about Lawson's take-home here!)

Just curious, since I've read several times on free jinger that lawn mowing seems to be quite a lucrative business in the US, how much does one make in a state like Arkansas or Tennessee?

After the big tornado outbreak on April 28, 2011, many tree service companies made a lot of money. That was due to the sheer amount of work that needed to be done, not price gouging. Here in the south, we have lots of trees, and there was massive damage that day.

I'm assuming that his music is self produced so he is probably funding his second career through the lawn business. I wonder how much he gets for the reality show?

I'm assuming that his music is self produced so he is probably funding his second career through the lawn business. I wonder how much he gets for the reality show?

I agree...does anyone know how much some on the Up network make? I don't have that network and know little about it but I imagine they pay much less than tlc....? They may make less than we assume, but their cost of living's gotta be more affordable than other places they could be.

I live outside of Raleigh.  We have 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots.  I asked the Christian teenagers who live around the corner what they charge to do the two houses next to me because I thought that would give my husband more free time (in the warm months the lawn has to mowed every week because we get a lot of rain and heat.) $50.00 a time.  And that is only to do the front lawn and not the back. And that is all they do, they don't trim hedges or weed or edge.

About the same in Georgia for a normal sized, suburban lawn it's $50 each time they mow. Needs to be done twice a month during spring and summer. Not nearly as much in the fall and winter months. Used to have a bigger law care service do it that charged $60+, but because we weren't a golf course or in a rich neighborhood they didn't want to come on a regular bases. They would trim bushes and take off tree branches that fell after storms. Now we found a friend of a friend's law guy. He is a know-it-all that charges $50 per cut for only the front yard and doesn't do anything extra. I don't like the guy, but he does show up when he says he is going to.      

Lawn mowing costs really depends on the region. I don't think TN is one of the higher paying areas. Lawson was lucky to have no real personal expenses for years. If he mowed 30 lawns a week at an average of $20 he would be taking home after $2k a month after business expenses. It would be easy to save up 10k. There was a  boy at my high school that on the first day of our senior year drove up in a new Saab. He worked at Friendly's for 3 years and saved his every penny after school and bought it outright. What else did Lawson have to spend money on at ages 14-18?

Where I live the landscapers that make the big bucks get HOA contacts. HOA lots are small 5/6 homes per acre. They are $50-60 a home per month and there are usually over 100 homes. They spend 1 day on each HOA a week with 3-4 workers (mostly under the table workers). If you are lucky to get 5 HOA's you make 6 figures doing little work.

Music is definitely self produced. I suppose since I'm from a region where it snows more than it doesn't, I can't imagine lawn care being that lucrative? I assume he at least has a phone bill he has to pay for, and he's buying the family groceries, I'm just not seeing how he could make a ton of money. Plus he never seems to be working anymore. Unless the Bates get a lot of "love offerings" to live off of, so he's not spending as much money as I assume.

Music is definitely self produced. I suppose since I'm from a region where it snows more than it doesn't, I can't imagine lawn care being that lucrative? I assume he at least has a phone bill he has to pay for, and he's buying the family groceries, I'm just not seeing how he could make a ton of money. Plus he never seems to be working anymore. Unless the Bates get a lot of "love offerings" to live off of, so he's not spending as much money as I assume.

There's always snow removal in the winter. I also live in a place where it supposedly snows more than it doesn't. Personally, I think lawns are a huge waste of resources. Time, energy, water, etc. Then again, lawns make huge snowmen possible.

Thank you all for your answers.

I find it interesting that lawn mowing business is a thing in the US. Where I come from, people usually mow their own lawn. When I think about it, the only people I've known who had someone else (usually a neighbor or family member) do their lawn were senior citizens in their 80s who couldn't do it themselves anymore.

I still find it a bit odd if able-bodied younger people hire someone to mow their lawn. My husband actually loves doing yard work. (Give him 30 more years of it and I think he'll be over it though.) My parents are in their 60's and my dad's health isn't fantastic so they hire someone to mow and then my dad just does the other yard work.

I wonder if it varies by region/socio-economic group/etc.

When I lived in southern California it did seem common for people to have a "gardener." But I'm in Nebraska and I don't know if I've ever heard anyone use that term even if they hire someone to mow. Though I will say most people in my social group don't hire people for lawn care anyway.

*slowlyraiseshand* I am one of that able-bodied younger people who actually have someone mown our lawn :my_blush:

However we don´t have our garden guy exclusively for lawn-mowing, he´s for tree and hedge grooming, weeding, raking (oh so much raking!), picking,...just everything: 40+ year old  fruit trees, a giant weeping willow, a small (former) outdoor fish pond and a rather creative mixture of yew and hornbeam for fence-like hedges on the whole back and east site of our property, not to mention that rock garden herb beet, where everthing in it dies if you water it too  much or too less. And that were just the peaks.

All lovely set by the former houseowner AND WE HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE HOW TO HANDLE IT PROPERLY! 

The only thing I find time - we also have three small kids - to do all by  myself is my raised bed for some vegetables.  If we wouldn´t have professional help here, all would just weed over and crumble and the swamp monsters would begin to breed in that pond and wild cats would take over to claim our house as their own :pb_lol:

I think it mostly happens like this where I come from:

1. The people are not too rich to get a landscaper every week

2. They could do it themselves but consider it a chore (plus it gets flippin hot in the summer)

3. A nice young lad comes by to ask if they can mow their lawn for $40, they say yes to help the kid out

4. Realize it's super convenient and love to help out the community youths and have him come regularly

5. Tell friends about young lad with excellent work ethic.

6. Young lad profits.

I lived in a double for several years. I paid a young guy to mow my yard because I didn't have a secure place to keep a mower. I didn't want to mow because of my allergies. I really don't like mowing. He was in middle school and his lawn mowing money paid for the extra stuff he wanted- special fancy tennis shoes, extras like movies with friends, etc. I'm sure he saved some, too. 

Now, I live in an apartment again. I have a gardener. 

Many landscaping companies in Indiana also do snow removal. A former student and her husband own a landscape & snow removal company. Her husband works year round. 

*slowlyraiseshand* I am one of that able-bodied younger people who actually have someone mown our lawn :my_blush:

However we don´t have our garden guy exclusively for lawn-mowing, he´s for tree and hedge grooming, weeding, raking (oh so much raking!), picking,...just everything: 40+ year old  fruit trees, a giant weeping willow, a small (former) outdoor fish pond and a rather creative mixture of yew and hornbeam for fence-like hedges on the whole back and east site of our property, not to mention that rock garden herb beet, where everthing in it dies if you water it too  much or too less. And that were just the peaks.

All lovely set by the former houseowner AND WE HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE HOW TO HANDLE IT PROPERLY! 

The only thing I find time - we also have three small kids - to do all by  myself is my raised bed for some vegetables.  If we wouldn´t have professional help here, all would just weed over and crumble and the swamp monsters would begin to breed in that pond and wild cats would take over to claim our house as their own :pb_lol:

Dang...you have a lot of stuff! That's understandable. We just have a tiny yard in the suburbs. Four trees. A bunch of shrubs, some flowers. Nothing too crazy.

I don't know if it had already been posted, but I just bumped into this... So, what is Jinger doing at the Bates family group?! 

Is it a "family group" or is it just a "group" which happens to have family members listed first? It does say "our peeps" rather than "our family." "Peeps" is a pretty generic term.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't cropped out just to keep interest going. Even if there isn't a courtship, I imagine they'd continue fueling the rumor mill as long as the rumors stayed positive.

Is it a "family group" or is it just a "group" which happens to have family members listed first? It does say "our peeps" rather than "our family." "Peeps" is a pretty generic term.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't cropped out just to keep interest going. Even if there isn't a courtship, I imagine they'd continue fueling the rumor mill as long as the rumors stayed positive.

That tweet is from July and it looks like there were people asking already if there was a courtship happening.  I think we didn't start speculating here for another 2 months. If they were interested in each other would they still be in the getting to know you phase 3 or 4 months later?  Alyssa and John almost did their entire courtship in the getting to know you stage, so they were actually just dating and started a courtship once they had already decided to get married essentially.  Don't see that happening with  a Duggar though.  Maybe they saw that people were interested and started fueling the speculation.  

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived