IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

I literally cannot imagine a scenario where a guy would choose to keep calling himself Spurgeon. Unless his parents brainwashed and guilt tripped him so much that he had some major complex about it, which I could see happening. "Spurgeon! What's this about you telling everyone your name is Elliott? We named your SPURGEON for a reason, it's after the great CHARLES SPURGEON, a wonderful heroic Calvinist Christian! What's wrong with the name SPURGEON? Do you think Calvinism is WRONG? Are you sinning in your HEART? Are you DOUBTING God? Are you DISHONOURING your mother and your father? How could you do this to us, Spurgeon?!"

God, it even sounds like a joke.

I just realized what I think it sounds like: it reminds me of the made-up, absurd-sounding names you'd hear on Tim and Eric. Spurgeon Seewald sounds like he'd be friends with Spraynard Kruger, Tairy Greene, and Bohdar.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that that name would be terrible for the kid. But as a member of this wacky family, it would be the least of his problems. Because changing a name is a lot easier than getting the fundie-cult brainwashing out of your head.

And I don't really know how to feel about a potential courtship of Jinger and Lawson. Getting married to him would get her out of the Duggar house. But still, it wouldn't be much of an improvement.

According to her Instagram, Alyssa traveled up from Florida a day or two ago for a family photoshoot with the UP network.  So keep your eyes open for any evidence of Jinger being in TN as well.  

Well if anything, Spurgeon has now made me interested in future Benessa spawn.  What else can they come up with?  And if they adopt, are they going to pull an Angelina Jolie and rename the kid?  Although, I would think naming a kid Spurgeon would now render them ineligible to adopt as it clearly shows a lack of humanity.  Poor lil Spurgy-wurgy-woo.

ETA: I know this is the Jinger Lawson thread but I saw talk of Spurgeon here, and over in the Spurgeon thread talk has turned much more serious...after I posted I notice oh crap this should be in the Spurgeon thread.  Sorry!

The next ones will probably be insanely normal and boring (comparatively speaking). Can you imagine? "Hi, I'm Jessa, this is my WONDERFUL husband Binjerman, and these are our children: SPURGEON, Hannah, Sarah, Grace, Matthew, and Daniel!" 

According to her Instagram, Alyssa traveled up from Florida a day or two ago for a family photoshoot with the UP network.  So keep your eyes open for any evidence of Jinger being in TN as well.  

Jinger attended a wedding apparently. Not sure where! 

Bobby Balinger Jr.  I'm snooping for more.

Robert A. Ballinger, Jr., of Hindsville, Field Representative and Constituent Service Representative. Ballinger recently served as a Field Director for the Westerman campaign and is currently a member of the Goshen and St. Paul volunteer fire departments. Ballinger will work in a field office in the northern part of the district in a location to be determined.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1774987172728666&id=100006522014028&set=a.1394791760748211.1073741825.100006522014028&source=45

Bride's first name is Meagan.

Bobby Balinger Jr.  I'm snooping for more.

New wife's name is Meagan Forsyth.  Have no idea who these people are.

Jana and Jinger are dressed much nicer than for the usual fundie wedding.

It looks like Jinger at the piano but the pic is so small it's hard to tell. I also wondered if I recognized the signature Duggar hairline of the groomsman at the end...

The groom, Bobby Ballinger is a district staffer for a freshman member of the US Congress, Bruce Westerman Here's his salary for the last 2 quarters: https://www.legistorm.com/person/Robert_A_Ballinger_Jr_/230627.html

He works out of the Ozark District office.

The Duggars don't live in Rep. Westerman's district, but the northern part of the district is close to them.

The groom's daddy is in the Arkansas state legislature.

THe bride's family runs that Fort Rock family camp--as seen on 19KAC: http://fortrock.org/

Bride and groom got engaged only 13 weeks ago, according to the groom's Instagram. [Geez, I don't understand how fundies throw big weddings together so fast!].

And yikes, they only started officially courting 18 weeks ago, although they seemed to be a couple before that.

I've been waiting for a good thread to post this in.

First and foremost, this song is, in my opinion, the FJ theme song. It is called No Dancing Allowed and it is about escaping from restrictive religion and encouraging those stuck within the confines of fundiedom to open their eyes.

It's so beautiful, and I imagine two lovers trying to flee, hence why I post this in the Jinger/Lawson thread.

I really hope that link works.

I literally cannot imagine a scenario where a guy would choose to keep calling himself Spurgeon. Unless his parents brainwashed and guilt tripped him so much that he had some major complex about it, which I could see happening. "Spurgeon! What's this about you telling everyone your name is Elliott? We named your SPURGEON for a reason, it's after the great CHARLES SPURGEON, a wonderful heroic Calvinist Christian! What's wrong with the name SPURGEON? Do you think Calvinism is WRONG? Are you sinning in your HEART? Are you DOUBTING God? Are you DISHONOURING your mother and your father? How could you do this to us, Spurgeon?!"

God, it even sounds like a joke.

I'm convinced he's going to grow to be Webb worse than either it'd his parents, in which case he'd take himself ultra seriously with that ridiculous name.

I still have hope for Jinger to explore the world more in depth once she's out of her parents jurisdiction.

My brother has a rather "mature" first name because it's a multi-generational family name. Not something you would call a little kid. So my parents gave him a nickname while he was younger that they did not intend for him to have when he got older. They just expected him to get to a point and realize he was gonna go by his first name--basically grow out of his younger and quite unusual nickname. But now he's in his 20s and likes that his name is unique.

They also have never call him by his first name. Not even when he was in trouble. We never got the First name-Middle name-Last name treatment.

Mum used to just run through all the kids names until she got to the correct one ie. Tom / steve/ Greg  JERRY but it would come out To/ Ste/ Gre JERRY! I don't remember getting the full name called

My dad would often run through all our names and still not land on the right one. I was lucky that he never called me by the cats' or dog's name, as happened once or twice with my sibs. But, if he called my sister "Pete" and me "George", he always got it "right". 

I can't imagine if he had had 19 kids. :pb_rollseyes:

If they do announce a courtship, it's going to be anticlimactic.  Too much stalling and your audience gets bored

My dad would often run through all our names and still not land on the right one. I was lucky that he never called me by the cats' or dog's name, as happened once or twice with my sibs. But, if he called my sister "Pete" and me "George", he always got it "right". 

I used to think my MIL was crazy because she'd run through her three boys names before getting the right one.  I'm one of four and don't recall my parents ever getting our names mixed up. Bad mother me, I have only two kids, but will call them the wrong one if I'm angry. One boy, one girl, you'd think it wouldn't be too hard.  Sometimes I put the dogs name in there too.  I definitely wouldn't have a hope if I had 19!

My mom used my siblings names so many times when she was talking to me that I learned to recognize when she meant me and not just from the context and not from the name used. I think all parents mix up their kids to a degree.

I was called by both cats' names at one point or another.  My parents would frequently combine mine and my sister's names when they weren't sure who they were calling, and the new name sounded like a fuel oil (a variation of kerosene). Growing up in a family with C/K (my sister's name starts with a K but is traditionally a C name) names with only two (and one of the cats), I couldn't imagine life in a family with 20 J names.  

Mixing up names is really common in my family especially when there is a get together etc. I might get called my aunt's , mum's , cousins name etc, every name will be run through except my own. Previous names will get repeated  before they hit on the right one. I usually sit there saying the right name over and over, while still they list through random family names.

Once my Mum turned to my cousin and called her by my dog's name. My cousin was a very serious child and gave her the strangest look, confused and horrified. She was not impressed at all.

But then they are not dog people, and they think we are totally crazy obsessive and over the top because we treat our dog like she is part of the family. Their poor dog is relegated to farm yard animal or livestock or even garden ornament or status symbol. To us, calling her the dogs name is the same as mistaking another female family name. She thought it was an insult.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived