IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against hiring someone else to mow your lawn (or do your garden, homework etc.)! I think it's great if you are giving someone else the opportunity to earn some money.

I was just a bit surprised, since I wasn't aware that so many people are "outsourcing" lawn care that you could make decent living out of it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting your lawns cut is pretty common where I live if you can afford it, you're elderly or working long hours and prefer to enjoy your weekends. Plenty of people make a decent living by doing lawns and a bit of pruning in winter. My husband likes to do our lawns, but he's going away on business for a few weeks, so I'm just about to phone and arrange a mowing man.  According to my husband, mowing is men's work.  I think this is terribly sexist, but hey, I'll use the time to do things I'd rather do, including check up on FJ.  Plus, I can never start the damn mower, so maybe he's got a point in my case!

I know tons of women who mow. A lot of them say it's a good workout. I have no desire to do it though. If I was single, I'd hire someone. :)

I know tons of women who mow. A lot of them say it's a good workout. I have no desire to do it though. If I was single, I'd hire someone. :)

I rather enjoy mowing. I do a better job than most men I know.  I use a rider though.  My yard's too big for a push mower. Otherwise I'd do an equivalent of a marathon every week. I have friends that hire it out, and friends who make a great living in the lawn mowing/landscape/snow removal business.    

The majority of people I know out here (in CT) have a "landscaper." The "landscapers" mow the yard in the spring to fall, remove snow when applicable, and (for added fees) actually do real landscaping. lol

Just curious, since I've read several times on free jinger that lawn mowing seems to be quite a lucrative business in the US, how much does one make in a state like Arkansas or Tennessee?

I'm surprised no one else has addressed the commercial aspect of this.  I work in HR and se hundreds of dollars written out to lawn mowing every month for even just one location.  It isn't fancy landscaping, either.  Straight up mowing the lawn.

The lawn is my husband's domain. He likes doing it. Before he moved in I paid my niece's boyfriend.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against hiring someone else to mow your lawn (or do your garden, homework etc.)! I think it's great if you are giving someone else the opportunity to earn some money.

I was just a bit surprised, since I wasn't aware that so many people are "outsourcing" lawn care that you could make decent living out of it.

Please tell me that you meant "housework" (cleaning and dusting, taking out the trash) and  not "homework" ( school assignments, essays, "prep" etc.).

I see you are across the big pond, so maybe you don't realize how the idea of students "outsourcing" their take-home schoolwork ( we call it homework here) might distress this poor teacher ( who, alas, cannot ethically outsource the grading.)

Please tell me that you meant "housework" (cleaning and dusting, taking out the trash) and  not "homework" ( school assignments, essays, "prep" etc.).

I see you are across the big pond, so maybe you don't realize how the idea of students "outsourcing" their take-home schoolwork ( we call it homework here) might distress this poor teacher ( who, alas, cannot ethically outsource the grading.)

Oh, my bad. Yes, of course I meant "housework" as in cleaning, doing the laundry etc. English isn't my first language (in fact, it's my third) so I do make mistakes. :pb_redface:

I clicked on this thread all excited because I thought the huge number of posts since I was last here must mean Jinger's courtship had been confirmed! Oh well...

Just to join in, I have a huge garden and I do all my own lawns, pruning, weeding etc. It's an amazing free workout, and it's satisfying in a way that nothing else is - I truly believe that gardening is good for the soul.

And yes, I work full time and it's hard to make the time for it sometimes. But I'd rather give it twenty minutes a day and keep on top of it than wait for the weekend and need to devote hours to it. So that my top tip - little and often!! 

My hunch is that the courtship/engagement will be announced when Jessa's birth special airs in December, because TLC probably filmed it for that show.

My hunch is that the courtship/engagement will be announced when Jessa's birth special airs in December, because TLC probably filmed it for that show.

That's probably also why the new Bates promo shows a whole lot of nothing. That or the Bateses are just that boring. 

I clicked on this thread all excited because I thought the huge number of posts since I was last here must mean Jinger's courtship had been confirmed! Oh well...

Just to join in, I have a huge garden and I do all my own lawns, pruning, weeding etc. It's an amazing free workout, and it's satisfying in a way that nothing else is - I truly believe that gardening is good for the soul.

And yes, I work full time and it's hard to make the time for it sometimes. But I'd rather give it twenty minutes a day and keep on top of it than wait for the weekend and need to devote hours to it. So that my top tip - little and often!! 

I would love to learn more about gardening, since I love looking at beautiful gardens and I like to learn about plants and stuff like that, but alas, I plan to live in apartments in big cities and I have horrific pollen allergies.

Oh, my bad. Yes, of course I meant "housework" as in cleaning, doing the laundry etc. English isn't my first language (in fact, it's my third) so I do make mistakes. :pb_redface:

Jeez you're better at English than I am and it's my first language! :P 

You are doing great.  English is only my second language, and I use it every day, and still I make mistakes. Your command is very idiomatic, usually.

I wasn't trying to be snarky. I was just thinking how I am sure some students do "outsource" their homework... <sigh>

For a minute when I read your message I thought maybe it was suggesting that those of us who pay others to mow our lawns were "cheating" like those who pay others to do their schoolwork.  ;)

Personally, I'm a bit in awe of the high level of "English as a second language" posts here. So many posters who begin with an explanation/apology for their English and then proceed to write better English than most of my neighbors. Y'all are totally awesome! (No, I'm not from Arkansas.)

Lots of people do around here.  There are dozens upon dozens of lawn care services.  My mom and her elderly neighbor lady both use the same guy.  We're poor, so our lawn care service is Teenage Daughter Indentured Servant, Inc.  

Of course women mow! Don't you remember how Michelle mowed the lawn in a bikini before she found Jesus? :pb_rollseyes:

After Spurgeon, I've decided that no other Duggar girls should get married. I'd hate to think of what names they'd come up with to try to top that one....

After Spurgeon, I've decided that no other Duggar girls should get married. I'd hate to think of what names they'd come up with to try to top that one....

Mmmmm....nah!  There's no way that anyone would be able to top this so probably won't even try.  Heck, even Jessa and Ben may have a hard time coming up with something as 'meaningful'.  If Jinger ended up with Lawson I can't see him agreeing to something like that.  Not that Lawson is a common name (I know it's his middle name) but it's a lot easier on the ears than Spurgeon.

Mmmmm....nah!  There's no way that anyone would be able to top this so probably won't even try.  Heck, even Jessa and Ben may have a hard time coming up with something as 'meaningful'.  If Jinger ended up with Lawson I can't see him agreeing to something like that.  Not that Lawson is a common name (I know it's his middle name) but it's a lot easier on the ears than Spurgeon.

No one in the Duggar family was named anything close to Spurgeon. Same with the Seewald family.

No one in the Duggar family was named anything close to Spurgeon. Same with the Seewald family.

I don't think any fundy name, at all, and I hate a LOT of them, is as bad as Spurgeon.

I don't think any fundy name, at all, and I hate a LOT of them, is as bad as Spurgeon.

The only one that might have a chance to compete is Heistheway. That one was my "favorite" before little Splurgeon Spurgeon  came along.

Of course women mow! Don't you remember how Michelle mowed the lawn in a bikini before she found Jesus? :pb_rollseyes:

That's the key word. BEFORE she found jesus:pb_lol:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived