IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 5

happy atheist

So..if JillyMuffin gets preggo soon, and by all accounts of her religion she should, she will be in El Salvador, saving Christians to be MORE saved, or something, with a very young baby, and by her previous accounts...probably sick to her stomach. So, I guess her ministry will have a special touch there. And then, if they stay, she will go on to have number three right away. Again, be sick to her stomach and taking care of two young babies. And saving those poor souls.

So, my visualization of this does not look good. What do they think this will be like. No stray J'Slaves to come over and help. This is insane.

Derick will have to save all the souls. I'm Agast!!

Judging by Carlin and Joy's visit, the Dullards have no problem flying in help. When she has another baby, I expect a steady stream of J'slaves and family friends coming down to visit aka take care of our children for free

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I'm hoping if we learn together it will make things a bit easier, since we'd have someone to constantly speak it with. I'm thinking that listening to music in Spanish that I know in English (like Shakira! I love Shakira!), reading Spanish newspapers, and watching tv or movies in Spanish might help. I also just downloaded an app onto my phone that may help with the basics. And our public Library has some resources listed online that I'm going to look into soon.

And no worries! I knew what you were responding to! Happens to everyone at least once. :lol:

Wait... You can understand shakira????!!!?!?!?!111?!?!

Yeah. I'm hoping if we learn together it will make things a bit easier, since we'd have someone to constantly speak it with. I'm thinking that listening to music in Spanish that I know in English (like Shakira! I love Shakira!), reading Spanish newspapers, and watching tv or movies in Spanish might help. I also just downloaded an app onto my phone that may help with the basics. And our public Library has some resources listed online that I'm going to look into soon.

And no worries! I knew what you were responding to! Happens to everyone at least once. :lol:

Thx!

I does help to read and hear the language, just watching (when you are a bit advanced an the language) and reading the subtitles (do you have them over there?) will teach you, my kids and i can really have a big LOL when somebody screws up. And my english is very basic ;)

:lol: I'm a native Spanish speaker and I don't even understand her in Spanish. Her singing voice sounds like she gargling.

I adore her! One of the first CDs I ever bought was Laundry Service - it was mostly written in English, but a few of the songs were also recorded in Spanish on it. Loved that album! :D

I don't speak or understand Spanish fluently by any means though. So when she sings in Spanish I'm completely lost. I have to rely on translated lyrics. There are times when I pull up the Spanish lyrics and try to sing along though.

Thx!

I does help to read and hear the language, just watching (when you are a bit advanced an the language) and reading the subtitles (do you have them over there?) will teach you, my kids and i can really have a big LOL when somebody screws up. And my english is very basic ;)

I'll have to look into the subtitles on our television. I'm not sure if we can do that or not - if not, I can try watching DVDs because a lot of them have subtitles in other languages now (one way I hope to teach our kids is to play Disney movies in Spanish and let them soak it in - fingers crossed!)

I would have loved to have tried living overseas! Life didn't work out that way for me - though I do get to marry my fiance, so I suppose its a fair trade. :lol:

I agree. It does take a certain type of courage to do what the Dillards have done. It has to be somewhat disconcerting to suddenly find yourself in a new country with a different culture and language from your own. I'm guessing its been a bit easier for them to adjust since they're there with a group of like-minded people. . . but its still got to be a bit weird for them to suddenly have no family around constantly.

I really wish Foreign Language was more of a priority over here. Fiance and I both took languages in school, but our town didn't start offering them until 6th Grade (around age 11; we're now 27.) Neither of us really remember anything from those classes though because we never got to use what we learned in our daily lives - the only time we spoke in French or Latin or Spanish or Italian or Arabic was in classes.

(Side note: Did I mention I kinda jumped around between languages too? I started with three years of French in Middle School, a year of Latin in High School, three years following that of Spanish, and a semester of Arabic in college. And what do I have to show for it? A Bachelors of Arts in English! :lol: )

We'd both love to learn to speak Spanish fluently so we could teach our future kids and give them a better start to life, but its tough trying to find a good program and find the time right now. I wish I had considered grifting for Jesus as a valid option (not really - I'd find myself completely obnoxious if I did that)!

There are some school districts in our state that either had or were considering adding elementary school level foreign language programs - but a bunch of them were cut because of school budgets. I'll have to do some research and see what we could possibly do to help our kids learn at least the basics of Spanish at a young age.

My daughter, the one who lives in So America, would tell you to teach any of your future kids Mandarin Chinese.

She teaches at an American school overseas and all the students (pre-K- HS) have to speak 3 languages. If she and her husband stay in So America, their daughter will speak English, Spanish and Chinese.

My daughter took Spanish, French and Latin in grade school, HS and college. She also attended an International grad school that required foreign language to full competency, speaking, writing, literature knowledge.

I took French for nine years in grade school. It was mandated from grades 1-9. They changed it to 4-9 and I think that was a huge mistake. The vast majority of French I know (which isn't much) was the stuff I learned when I was a little kid. If anything they should start teaching it in junior kindergarten and make it mandatory through grade 12, maybe even into university. I stopped taking it after grade 9 and I now wish I had kept going. I can barely speak French at all now, and I try to avoid communicating with anyone when I'm in Quebec because I'm too embarrassed, which is ridiculous. I've thought about taking classes again, but it's harder when you're an adult.

Don't assume that because your kids are taking classes in a language, they're going to be able to speak it as an adult. Most likely they won't be. Almost none of the people I went to school with can speak French now. Even people who went to French Immersion tend to lose a lot of it.

My daughter, the one who lives in So America, would tell you to teach any of your future kids Mandarin Chinese.

She teaches at an American school overseas and all the students (pre-K- HS) have to speak 3 languages. If she and her husband stay in So America, their daughter will speak English, Spanish and Chinese.

My daughter took Spanish, French and Latin in grade school, HS and college. She also attended an International grad school that required foreign language to full competency, speaking, writing, literature knowledge.

If I knew how to speak Mandarin I would! I struggle with Spanish as it is and I took three years of it in High School - Mandarin, I wouldn't even know where to start trying to teach myself at this point. I think we'd have better odds of getting Spanish to stick though because our town has a decent sized Spanish speaking population (plus, Spanish is rapidly becoming a major language in the states, so the odds of them meeting someone who speaks it are decent.)

I really wish there was more of an emphasis placed on early language learning here. I know that singsingsing is completely correct that having early language learning in the curriculum is no guarantee that the child will remember the languages as an adult, but it would at least help us try to give them the skills necessary for retention.

I'll have to eventually see if there are after-school programs or tutors or anything like that we can utilize to help teach them a different language. If we go that route maybe we can find someone who speaks Mandarin.

I took 2 years of French in high school and one of German. Decades later I decided to learn a Scandinavian language and, wouldn't you know it? when I don't know the correct vocabulary word the French word pops into my head. I think the neural pathways from my youth were more permanent than I could have imagined. And I wonder if I am accessing that part of my brain as I try to learn the other language and the first foreign language I studied is emerging.

In my early 20's I tried to speak French on a trip to France and was totally inadequate. A few years ago without any review or preparation I was able to ask and understand directions as well as order food and read the instructions in the automatic toilets. I was as surprised as the non French speaking friends I was with.

I've studied at several colleges and all required foreign language classes to graduate. Unfortunately I do think foreign language education is becoming less and less valued in the US.

Just had to jump in here to note that foreign language education has never been much valued in the U.S. We talk a lot about the importance of learning other languages, but when push comes to shove, we tend to let other people learn ours.

It is true, however, that foreign (or dead) languages have traditionally been part of the American college curriculum. Part of being an educated person was to know Latin (dead language) and Ancient Greek (also dead) or some modern language (for the really progressive). But language study is hard, and relatively few people who go through the language required in highschool or college can carry on a conversation in the language they studied. (In this respect, Latin is a good choice, since no one has long conversations in Latin except the occasional old priest talking to another old priest in {Church} Latin so the parishoners can't understand them. ;) )

But for a variety of reasons, the "foreign language requirement" has gradually been excluded from many programs. Most recently, the reason has to do with competition for students. Colleges and Universities are hurting for enrollments in many cases, and one way to make programs more attractive is to drop the language requirement either for admission or graduation or both.

(I speak as a university professor who has been watching this phenomenon for more than 30 years.)

Turning to the Dillards, it is impossible for me to imagine how these people are going to "convert" folks whose language they do not speak. As others have said in this thread, talking about "converting" Catholics to Christianity is absurd. But to try to do that without knowing the language makes as much sense as trying to navigate through Madrid with a map of London.

I'm glad they are trying to learn Spanish.

(Newbie here--have really been enjoying FJ for several months and finally decided to make my addiction to the site official.)

I'm finding it pretty interesting that the Dillards may be attending a respected language school in Guatemala. This makes them seem very committed to future missionary work.

Also, this would be Jill's first taste of formal education, I think. I wonder how it's going? I wonder if the experience has shown her anything about her English language skills learned at SOTDRT?

Can we assume she is being taught by non-fundies? Will she get a certificate or tangible proof of success at the school, even if at a beginner level? Is it just me, or is this all pretty amazing for a Duggar woman?

If I knew how to speak Mandarin I would! I struggle with Spanish as it is and I took three years of it in High School - Mandarin, I wouldn't even know where to start trying to teach myself at this point. I think we'd have better odds of getting Spanish to stick though because our town has a decent sized Spanish speaking population (plus, Spanish is rapidly becoming a major language in the states, so the odds of them meeting someone who speaks it are decent.)

I really wish there was more of an emphasis placed on early language learning here. I know that singsingsing is completely correct that having early language learning in the curriculum is no guarantee that the child will remember the languages as an adult, but it would at least help us try to give them the skills necessary for retention.

I'll have to eventually see if there are after-school programs or tutors or anything like that we can utilize to help teach them a different language. If we go that route maybe we can find someone who speaks Mandarin.

If you want to at least give your kids some background in Spanish/French but aren't quite ready to shell out for a tutor, or you want something that will let them practice at home when the tutor isn't there, I really recommend Duolingo. It's language learning basically set up like little games, where you have lives and earn points and prizes for finishing levels. They also have you go back and do lessons again after a while so you retain the information. I really like it, though it's mostly good for nailing down grammar and vocabulary, not really good for getting fluent.

And as for Mandarin, definitely look around! There are Mandarin speakers everywhere, and there are plenty of computer programs and services that could probably help you find native speakers online who are willing to teach. Mandarin is a really fun language to speak, and I'd say that unless you're learning writing, it's actually easier to pick up for speaking, IMO, since the grammar is very simple (verbs don't change, no genders, no declensions). The writing is a whole other kettle of fish, but you learn shortcuts and tricks in time to make it easier.

Also, if you want your kids to practice fluency and listening comprehension, look up Disney songs on YouTube in foreign languages. Some are subtitled with the lyrics, which can help you/the kids follow along. I practiced my Mandarin by watching Disney movies in Mandarin, since I'd already know what was going on and what the songs were about, so singing along helped me learn vocabulary and practice fluency -- The King's Speech was right: you're a lot more fluent when you sing. I tried it for other languages, so now if I go to Norway, I can't ask how to get somewhere, but I can tell people to let it go and paint with the colors of the wind.

Also, if you want your kids to practice fluency and listening comprehension, look up Disney songs on YouTube in foreign languages. Some are subtitled with the lyrics, which can help you/the kids follow along. I practiced my Mandarin by watching Disney movies in Mandarin, since I'd already know what was going on and what the songs were about, so singing along helped me learn vocabulary and practice fluency -- The King's Speech was right: you're a lot more fluent when you sing. I tried it for other languages, so now if I go to Norway, I can't ask how to get somewhere, but I can tell people to let it go and paint with the colors of the wind.

:lol: I love this! :lol:

Norwegian: "Excuse me. Can you tell me what time it is?"

NH: "Let it goooooo!!!"

I'm finding it pretty interesting that the Dillards may be attending a respected language school in Guatemala. This makes them seem very committed to future missionary work.

Also, this would be Jill's first taste of formal education, I think. I wonder how it's going? I wonder if the experience has shown her anything about her English language skills learned at SOTDRT?

Can we assume she is being taught by non-fundies? Will she get a certificate or tangible proof of success at the school, even if at a beginner level? Is it just me, or is this all pretty amazing for a Duggar woman?

From what I've read, this is only a two week course they're taking. I'm sure it's helpful but I don't know if they continue on to other levels or not, or if they'll give up all together like the last time they took Spanish lessons.

I hope Jill learned the words for "like," "totally," "precious" and "crazy" in Spanish. :lol:

:lol: I love this! :lol:

Norwegian: "Excuse me. Can you tell me what time it is?"

NH: "Let it goooooo!!!"

I could become a weather person in Norway, but only in winter. So, NH, how's the weather? THE SNOW GLOWS WHITE ON THE MOUNTAIN TONIGHT

I hope Jill learned the words for "like," "totally," "precious" and "crazy" in Spanish. :lol:

Mi bebé es totalmente preciosa!! Su tan loca!!

If you want to at least give your kids some background in Spanish/French but aren't quite ready to shell out for a tutor, or you want something that will let them practice at home when the tutor isn't there, I really recommend Duolingo. It's language learning basically set up like little games, where you have lives and earn points and prizes for finishing levels. They also have you go back and do lessons again after a while so you retain the information. I really like it, though it's mostly good for nailing down grammar and vocabulary, not really good for getting fluent.

And as for Mandarin, definitely look around! There are Mandarin speakers everywhere, and there are plenty of computer programs and services that could probably help you find native speakers online who are willing to teach. Mandarin is a really fun language to speak, and I'd say that unless you're learning writing, it's actually easier to pick up for speaking, IMO, since the grammar is very simple (verbs don't change, no genders, no declensions). The writing is a whole other kettle of fish, but you learn shortcuts and tricks in time to make it easier.

True story - I have Duolingo on my phone already. :lol: I've been using it recently to try and brush up on my Spanish. I'm pretty bad, but I remember more than I thought I would. Our Library has a few other websites listed online as well, so I'll probably eventually look into those as well.

And I love listening to Disney songs in other languages. So yeah, my kids will have no choice - they will watch Disney in other languages and they will like it!

Maybe, just maybe, she'll be a decent Spanish speaker once she finishes her lessons because she will not be able to butcher what she's saying with "like" every other word. She will have to go slow and think about what she's saying for once. :shrug:

Maybe, just maybe, she'll be a decent Spanish speaker once she finishes her lessons because she will not be able to butcher what she's saying with "like" every other word. She will have to go slow and think about what she's saying for once. :shrug:

I know she won't, but I'd love to see Jill become so fluent that she replaces "like" with the filler word that Salvadorians use in Spanish. Every language has at least a few filler words.

So the course is only two weeks? I thought it was a real program. How proficient can you be in two weeks?

I don't know where people are getting two weeks. Maybe they got mixed up with Joy and Carlin who were in Central America for two weeks after the wedding. Derick and Jill have been going to school for at least a month and Derick hinted on IG that there was still a lot left to learn.

I know she won't, but I'd love to see Jill become so fluent that she replaces "like" with the filler word that Salvadorians use in Spanish. Every language has at least a few filler words.

I imagine she's already learned the Spanish word for 'totally.'

So the course is only two weeks? I thought it was a real program. How proficient can you be in two weeks?

I wonder if the session is only 2 weeks? Derick posted (IG) that he passed and was moving on to the next session, which makes sense if the classes are individualized. There was no such post from Jill.

If she's struggling with the school environment, I hope Derick helps, guides and supports her.

Actually, the closets thing to ''like'' here is ''en plan'' (in plan) at leats in my area. I would pay to see Jill trying to speak in spanish. "Mi bebé is a, ehhm, uuumm, linda? Like, mi gustar taco. Hola!"

Archived