IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 5

happy atheist

All this coming back to the US was so predictable. I would guess that 99% of most other missionaries don't come back for weddings and to film appearances in TV special, photo shoots, etc. I never really had respect for any of these people and their actions are not winning any of it.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think that foreign language needs to be a requirement in US public schools. Pretty much everywhere else, kids are learning English or another language in addition to their native tongue from grade school onwards. We are doing our kids a great disservice by offering no language education at all, or delaying it until middle school, when it becomes much harder to master a language.

THIS! QFT!

Yes. I went to Mexico twice, paid my own way, camped there. No showers or running water. On one trip the men worked on helping a local pastor build his home and a new church building, the women played soccer or any other game the children wanted to play. We brought clothes, soccer balls, jump rope, etc for the community we were at. We also served meals, and did anything they needed. The local pastor (who was not a missionary but a Mexican citizen who was a pastor) did a sermon, on Sunday, and we were there. The trip was more about meeting needs they couldn't meet on their own. Showing Jesus's love through actions. It was rewarding, we did something good, and it was eye opening for sure. Mexico is a third world country just 25 minutes from my home. It is heart breaking to see little children with no shoes. No running water...no electricity. I was in Ensenada once and Tecate once.

Wait, you paid your own way?! To somewhere 25 whole miles from your home?!

I'm sure 3rd world Mexico thanks you.

(sarcasm)

I'm kind of sad that my college mascot wasn't in the video. Cocky the Gamecock is a lot cuter than Pistol Pete.

As for the travelling back and forth so often, it seems like the entire point of being a missionary is lost on these two. They need to become part of the community in order to have legitimacy and actually help people. They need to be invested in the area where they live. Then again, they're not really there to help in any meaningful way.

I would guess that 99% of most other missionaries don't come back for weddings and to film appearances in TV special, photo shoots, etc.

I have to agree. They are hopping around like rich college kids during summer vacation. I suppose there is no harm since who thinks they were really going to convert anyone? But they don't invite trust or respect.

I think it's a bit strange now how devastated Joy was when Jill left. They've been gone a few months...but have already traveled home twice AND Joy spent two weeks with her.

I haven't seen my sister since January. I once went over a year without seeing my brother. No real reason other than we have our own lives/families and live in different states.

I have to agree. They are hopping around like rich college kids during summer vacation. I suppose there is no harm since who thinks they were really going to convert anyone? But they don't invite trust or respect.

I thought they were just doing language school for a few weeks/months, then going back to the missionary thing. But while they are jet-setting like trust fund kids, I'm actually glad Jill, Derick and Israel are not hanging around the TTH day-in & day-out

Did we ever find out what happened to the Stonybrook house? I didn't see that. Or is it just there with all of their "stuff".

Kind of an open invitation for a burglary.

Did we ever find out what happened to the Stonybrook house? I didn't see that. Or is it just there with all of their "stuff".

Kind of an open invitation for a burglary.

I think it's a bit strange now how devastated Joy was when Jill left. They've been gone a few months...but have already traveled home twice AND Joy spent two weeks with her.

I haven't seen my sister since January. I once went over a year without seeing my brother. No real reason other than we have our own lives/families and live in different states.

If you had to stop hanging out with your hippie-ish sister-mom and her cool-by-fundie-standards husband, and go back to living with Michelle, wouldn't you be devastated?

Archived