IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 5

happy atheist

Yep...some speculation on the aviation thread that JD may have picked them up in Texas.

I agree...they sure do come home a lot already. And presumably they'll be back after Jessa has her baby. And maybe the holidays too, I wonder?

They are back. Izzy is getting his first piano lesson from Aunt Jana according to the official Duggar family FB page. No word on why they're back, just that they're there for a visit. The fans are happy they have another Duggar post to swoon over.

Izzy is ADORABLE, BTW...

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are back. Izzy is getting his first piano lesson from Aunt Jana according to the official Duggar family FB page. No word on why they're back, just that they're there for a visit. The fans are happy they have another Duggar post to swoon over.

Izzy is ADORABLE, BTW...

I'm guessing they returned for two reasons:

1. Carlin and Joy needed to be chaperoned home.

2. Amy's wedding is this weekend.

And yes, Izzy is adorable! I find all babies - even Fundie babies - to be really cute, but Izzy is at a really fun age. He has such a cute little smile, it almost makes me feel human emotions (almost.) :lol:

Is it just me or does it seem all the donations are basically going to fly the family back to the states for every event that happens?? I mean most missionaries go somewhere and actually stay there because they don't want to waste all the money on airfare to fly home every other weekend for family events. How do they expect to reach the masses if they are never actually there? :think:

Seriously. I hope those who made donations are taking note. Even if they are using the family's plane, there is still a major cost.

Basically, even though Derrick HAD a paying job...people are now donating for their language classes, skills that other aid workers or missionaries bring to the table when they apply to help. And people are either paying for airfare, or paying for missionary expenses when the Dillards clearly have funds of their own (or ma & pa's) to spend to fly back and forth. They got some 'splainin' to do on what this charity is actually supposed to do!

Plus what message are they sending? "We are the wealthy, happy, CHOSEN people. We can leave your hell hole of a living anytime we wish (because Jesus loves us.)"

eople are now donating for their language classes, skills that other aid workers or missionaries bring to the table when they apply to help.

This isn't necessarily correct, at least in the missionary organizations that I know of. Going to Language School for one year is the norm. In fact, when missionaries fund raise, this is usually known/disclosed. I believe it is built into their funding. If Derrick and Jill are part of an organization, then the money they get isn't going directly to them, it is given to them through the organization. They are given an allotted amount for certain expenses, and they have to make do with that. They might not be using their mission donations for all the trips back home - especially if it's not built into their living expenses that the mission organization laid out for them.

As far as I can see, Derrick would be qualified for missionary work. Jill doesn't really need to be, because she's more the support person. She keeps the home, hosts families, and supports her husband's work. I'm curious to know what Derrick's role as a missionary is going to be. There are many varied jobs out there for missionaries. It surprised me on what the range is. It's not all evangelizing.

I'm wondering if Jill is coming home so often because she is having difficulty to adjusting to her new life. I doubt she realized the difficulties involved in long-term missionary work. You're essentially on your own. She probably doesn't have any friends and is viewed as an outsider by the local people. Everything is different, one can't get the everyday items that one is used to in the United States. It is a rough adjustment, that I think a person with stars in their eyes won't realize. Also, she went from a network of support with her humungous family to only relying on Derrick, who is probably not around all the time due to the nature of his job. She's probably lonely. (I wonder if I'm going to be an anonymous source now. ;) "Jill Duggar Not Adjusting Well to Missionary Life."

ETA: I wonder if the reason why the Dillards' have been so vague on what they are actually doing is to discourage people/reporters from interfering with their work. Adjusting to another country while reporters report your every move can be detrimental.

This isn't necessarily correct, at least in the missionary organizations that I know of. Going to Language School for one year is the norm. In fact, when missionaries fund raise, this is usually known/disclosed. I believe it is built into their funding. If Derrick and Jill are part of an organization, then the money they get isn't going directly to them, it is given to them through the organization. They are given an allotted amount for certain expenses, and they have to make do with that. They might not be using their mission donations for all the trips back home - especially if it's not built into their living expenses that the mission organization laid out for them.

As far as I can see, Derrick would be qualified for missionary work. Jill doesn't really need to be, because she's more the support person. She keeps the home, hosts families, and supports her husband's work. I'm curious to know what Derrick's role as a missionary is going to be. There are many varied jobs out there for missionaries. It surprised me on what the range is. It's not all evangelizing.

I'm wondering if Jill is coming home so often because she is having difficulty to adjusting to her new life. I doubt she realized the difficulties involved in long-term missionary work. You're essentially on your own. She probably doesn't have any friends and is viewed as an outsider by the local people. Everything is different, one can't get the everyday items that one is used to in the United States. It is a rough adjustment, that I think a person with stars in their eyes won't realize. Also, she went from a network of support with her humungous family to only relying on Derrick, who is probably not around all the time due to the nature of his job. She's probably lonely. (I wonder if I'm going to be an anonymous source now. ;) "Jill Duggar Not Adjusting Well to Missionary Life."

ETA: I wonder if the reason why the Dillards' have been so vague on what they are actually doing is to discourage people/reporters from interfering with their work. Adjusting to another country while reporters report your every move can be detrimental.

I have friends that spent 2 years prepping for missionary work, now they are an older couple in their mid 40's with 2 kid ages 16 and 13, they owned a very large home, cars, you name it, lots of debt. So they had to get rid of all of that 1st once they were well on their way they were doing training classes, here in the US. They went to Lous (sp?) the 1st year there was spent assimilating, learning the language and getting some roots. Then they got to work, he is a minister at local church but he also works at shop with tourists,speaking both languages helps them all out, and she is a teacher. She doesn't just teach religion, she teaches basics to very very poor kids, and many of her classes are held outside in the dirt

They are being supported by a mission organization, but aren't full time preachers, they are actually doing SOME good like teaching people so they can get jobs. I don wonder if Derick and Jill will do something like this? Long term missionaries don't just build up churches, they become part of communities.

I'm guessing they returned for two reasons:

1. Carlin and Joy needed to be chaperoned home.

2. Amy's wedding is this weekend.

And yes, Izzy is adorable! I find all babies - even Fundie babies - to be really cute, but Izzy is at a really fun age. He has such a cute little smile, it almost makes me feel human emotions (almost.) [emoji38]

Carlin has been home for a week.

Some years ago, while in France, I received my breakfast complete with a few, rather off putting hairs. Unfortunately, I told the server that my eggs had horses in them. Because chevaux does not equal cheveux. Très embarrassant!

My husband took French, Italian and Spanish over the years and we were in a restaurant once and on the dessert menu was le petit gateau. He just could not figure out why there was a small cat on the dessert menu!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honest question. Are there missionaries who do good work? Because IMO, if the food and shelter you are helping with comes with a side of "you must accept jesus or I won't give you this wheat" then fuck them. Do any missionaries do good in less fortunate places just because it's a good thing to do, without foisting their religion on the locals??

Carlin has been home for a week.

The Dillards and Joy could very well have been back in the states that long already and just not mentioned it.

The Dillards and Joy could very well have been back in the states that long already and just not mentioned it.

There is speculation in the aviation thread that they arrived 2 days ago. Also Jill specifically said she was going to miss them when they left.

Honest question. Are there missionaries who do good work? Because IMO, if the food and shelter you are helping with comes with a side of "you must accept jesus or I won't give you this wheat" then fuck them. Do any missionaries do good in less fortunate places just because it's a good thing to do, without foisting their religion on the locals??

I had a retired couple in our neighborhood that did 15 years of mission work in Africa. He was a pastor but he and his wife were nurses , he was a NP and she was an RN. They did incredible work in bringing healthcare to remote areas. The helped open clinic and bring meds to very remote parts of the continent in pretty dangerous circumstances. Thing is you would never know because these people never bragged and rarely talked about the work they did. I only found out when my son was sick one night and the ER was my only option. They were walking their dog and came over and helped my son. After that they checked on him every night when they walked by. The were just kind people. Sometimes the people that do the real work don't shout it from the roof tops.

I did a few short mission trip with a catholic group (like 2 week trips) when in my late teens. I paid my own plane ticket and we stayed in tents and worked all day. I never handed out a Bible or talked religion. It was all work(either physical like digging or carrying supplies or taking intake forms for healthcare needs). It was eye opening but my help was such a small drop in the bucket compared to what some people like my neighbors did being nurses for 15 years.

For those of you who cannot fathom how the Duggars can be Razorback fans without attending that school, here's a great and funny music video that explains college football fan bases. Pistol Pete is one of the mascots. My own home state university is prominently featured since the artist grew up in that state. He's the cute guy standing next to the singer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... o-20150903

For those of you who cannot fathom how the Duggars can be Razorback fans without attending that school, here's a great and funny music video that explains college football fan bases. Pistol Pete is one of the mascots (my home state university is prominently featured since the artist grew up in that state. )

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... o-20150903

Thanks for that, and I'm not trying to start something, but Boomer got more screen time than Pete, so HA! :dance:

note: they are both sorta scary, though.

Thanks for that, and I'm not trying to start something, but Boomer got more screen time than Pete, so HA! :dance:

Ha! Pistol Pete should borrow the Mountaineer ' s musket if he wants to be taken seriously.

I edited my post to make it clear that my mascot is not Pistol Pete. It's the Mountaineer.

I edited my post to make it clear that my mascot is not Pistol Pete. It's the Mountaineer.

Go Mountaineers! So psyched for the first football game tomorrow.

Ooops, sorry. We're all in the same conference, though. Good luck tomorrow--you ought to wallop George Southern

Ooops, sorry. We're all in the same conference, though. Good luck tomorrow--you ought to wallop George Southern

Thanks! Good luck to you-you'll kick Akron's ass.

Yes. I went to Mexico twice, paid my own way, camped there. No showers or running water. On one trip the men worked on helping a local pastor build his home and a new church building, the women played soccer or any other game the children wanted to play. We brought clothes, soccer balls, jump rope, etc for the community we were at. We also served meals, and did anything they needed. The local pastor (who was not a missionary but a Mexican citizen who was a pastor) did a sermon, on Sunday, and we were there. The trip was more about meeting needs they couldn't meet on their own. Showing Jesus's love through actions. It was rewarding, we did something good, and it was eye opening for sure. Mexico is a third world country just 25 minutes from my home. It is heart breaking to see little children with no shoes. No running water...no electricity. I was in Ensenada once and Tecate once.

Man, I went to a D3 school. I feel left out!

Yes. I went to Mexico twice, paid my own way, camped there. No showers or running water. On one trip the men worked on helping a local pastor build his home and a new church building, the women played soccer or any other game the children wanted to play. We brought clothes, soccer balls, jump rope, etc for the community we were at. We also served meals, and did anything they needed. The local pastor (who was not a missionary but a Mexican citizen who was a pastor) did a sermon, on Sunday, and we were there. The trip was more about meeting needs they couldn't meet on their own. Showing Jesus's love through actions. It was rewarding, we did something good, and it was eye opening for sure. Mexico is a third world country just 25 minutes from my home. It is heart breaking to see little children with no shoes. No running water...no electricity. I was in Ensenada once and Tecate once.

I have a physical therapist friend who goes overseas with her husband and peers who are fellow physical therapists. Hubs is a preacher, but the sole purpose of these trips is medical. They teach physical therapists in other countries techniques for therapy, and hold fundraisers for PT supplies and devices, which they donate when they arrive. These trips are technically mission trips, but there's no God-bothering involved. They just show up with medical supplies and knowledge to impart, then go home.

I'm not a fan of mission trips in general, but I really like how my friend described how this type is structured.

Their instagram said they are back in the states for a little while.... wonder how long they will be here? So this is MORE time they are not in their mission field. This just gets more and more like a vacation to get away from the scandals each and every day.

I have a physical therapist friend who goes overseas with her husband and peers who are fellow physical therapists. Hubs is a preacher, but the sole purpose of these trips is medical. They teach physical therapists in other countries techniques for therapy, and hold fundraisers for PT supplies and devices, which they donate when they arrive. These trips are technically mission trips, but there's no God-bothering involved. They just show up with medical supplies and knowledge to impart, then go home.

I'm not a fan of mission trips in general, but I really like how my friend described how this type is structured.

There are a bunch of charitable groups that do things like that. There's one group that goes into remote/underdeveloped areas in the Himalayas to perform cataract surgeries, which only take a few minutes to do (so they can do a lot in a few days), have a short recovery time, and can completely restore a person's sight. They also developed training programs for local healthcare providers so that they're up-to-date on the latest techniques for eye care, and won't need aid workers to come do all the surgeries and care.

Jilly Bean and Derrick are grifters, no more, no less. They collect money to go to "the mission field" to bless the poor people, but not long enough to be inconvenienced or uncomfortable. I really hate these people, and that goes for the sullen bitchy Jessa and her boy child as well.

Archived