IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 5

happy atheist

I hate this cryptic stuff... Why can't they just state what they are thinking?

In my opinion it's probably more like 2. I don't see him being a "bad Christian" by not forgiving. To me it sounds more like this whole "there is always a fresh start with god"-stuff. But I am not a native speaker of either of the two languages...

Or: all duggars once again underestimate the severity of Josh's actions and it has absolutely nothing to do with him.

It's the same crap that Blessa pulled, posting all these passive aggressive bible verses after scandal 2.0 hit. Either say it or don't. :evil-eye:

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure. I have trouble believing nice, mild-mannered Derick Dillard would turn so suddenly on his in-laws.

I see a few possibilities:

1. He was calling Josh out as you suggested - to which I say, about damn time!

2. He was offering a form of support to Josh - the verse talks about having to fight against sin, correct? So could it be he posted it to tell Josh something about how he needs to keep fighting against sin?

3. He posted it in regards to a completely unrelated matter.

4. He posted it just because that's what they were studying recently.

Thoughts my dears?

Here's one analysis I found -

Romans 6:1 is rooted back in Romans 5:20 - “You’ve just said God’s grace is so great, forgiveness is for every sin, so if we sin more, more grace grows†Yes. “Grace is the most wonderful gift in the world†Yes. “OK, if that is true, let’s keep on sinning so grace can keep on growing†READ Romans 6:2 - NO. The first step in living as a Christian is knowing we are Dead to sin. Ie. We’re like businesses, restaurants, that put up new signs, “under new managementâ€. Through faith we have passed from the old management (sin) to a whole new management headed by Christ. The sin nature we inherited from Adam that once ruled our lives, no longer has complete authority, no managerial power to keep making the directives of our lives. The new management brings new power to live a new way. It would be to Paul unthinkable for a Christian under new management to live as if sin is still in control.

It sounds like Derick is condemning Josh's actions. It’s in contrast to the scripture Jessa posted which is that if one confesses their sin, then God will forgive. Romans 6 is saying that God’s grace is not an excuse for people to fall into an endless sin-confess-repeat trap. A true believer would not let sins control their lives in that way, which clearly Josh was not following even though he and his parents claimed he had repented from his past “inappropriate mistakesâ€. Thus Josh is a hypocrite and not a real Christian.

So per Derick's IG, he graduated and is moving on to the next level. Is this from the language program? Nothing was mentioned about Jill. I wonder if she is moving on as well?

So per Derick's IG, he graduated and is moving on to the next level. Is this from the language program? Nothing was mentioned about Jill. I wonder if she is moving on as well?

yeah, I assumed it was his language class. Good question about Jill :think:

Jill mentioned in her blog that both her and Derick would be attending language school. From what I can tell by the photo, it looks like they went to the CSA Spanish school in Antigua, Guatemala, which would fit with their multiple sightings in the country.

Their website says the school offers a very flexible program, with one-on-one customized lessons for every student. Rates start from $300 to $400 US dollars weekly, and that’s including room and board. Which isn’t cheap but it doesn’t sound that bad either? I don’t have any examples to compare it to though.

Also interesting is that their school is one of the few accredited institutions that can issue Diplomas of Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE), which I just found out is a real thing and not some hocus-pocus title on a piece of paper.

Derick and Jill linked that preacher that basically said affairs were the woman's fault too. I doubt he's throwing shade at Josh. He and Jill are massive koolaid drinkers and with Josh disgraced, Jill is now the favorite Duggar child to her parents.

Derick and Jill linked that preacher that basically said affairs were the woman's fault too. I doubt he's throwing shade at Josh. He and Jill are massive koolaid drinkers and with Josh disgraced, Jill is now the favorite Duggar child to her parents.

While Jill and Derick might have known the subject matter on the sexual sin series, it's unlikely they had a copy of the pastor's sermon beforehand. So it's still possible that they don't agree it's Anna's fault and that Josh needs a get outta jail free card via grace. I think it might actually be the opposite. When has Jill ever been known to be lenient on the rules? She is the rule follower of all rule followers, and if Josh is doing the opposite, as we see he has been, I doubt she's interested in cutting him any slack.

I can imagine this being pretty emotional for Jill, upset about what Josh has done to their family ministry, reputation, etc. and as her husband, Derick is going to be the one listening and comforting her. At the very least he's frustrated with Josh's actions for Jill's sake. It's possible he's even angry for the pain her brother has caused his wife and their family. I wouldn't discount that cryptic post to be exactly how he feels, but he doesn't feel completely at liberty to say it outright considering how well Daniel Keller's outbursts have gone with the media having a field day. Maybe even so, he didn't want to stay completely silent? Speculation on my part of course, but a possibility nonetheless.

As for it being a real language school, I'm not entirely surprised. Derick has consistently gone through life going to real schools. He's the headship, right? Seems about right on par for Derick.

i.e. I still have hope for Jill and Derick. We might not see Jill in pants any time soon, but I was encouraged that she was going to a non-fundamental church that worships to mainstream Christian music (That's a BIG step - fundies are weird about music and drums). While the pastor there isn't a favorite, I have been to several breeds of fundie churches and a fundie preacher he isn't. So while he's nattering on about stuff I don't agree with, I see him as a possible positive stepping stone in the right direction for Jill and Derick on the path to some normalcy.

While Jill and Derick might have known the subject matter on the sexual sin series, it's unlikely they had a copy of the pastor's sermon beforehand. So it's still possible that they don't agree it's Anna's fault and that Josh needs a get outta jail free card via grace. I think it might actually be the opposite. When has Jill ever been known to be lenient on the rules? She is the rule follower of all rule followers, and if Josh is doing the opposite, as we see he has been, I doubt she's interested in cutting him any slack.

I can imagine this being pretty emotional for Jill, upset about what Josh has done to their family ministry, reputation, etc. and as her husband, Derick is going to be the one listening and comforting her. At the very least he's frustrated with Josh's actions for Jill's sake. It's possible he's even angry for the pain her brother has caused his wife and their family. I wouldn't discount that cryptic post to be exactly how he feels, but he doesn't feel completely at liberty to say it outright considering how well Daniel Keller's outbursts have gone with the media having a field day. Maybe even so, he didn't want to stay completely silent? Speculation on my part of course, but a possibility nonetheless.

As for it being a real language school, I'm not entirely surprised. Derick has consistently gone through life going to real schools. He's the headship, right? Seems about right on par for Derick.

i.e. I still have hope for Jill and Derick. We might not see Jill in pants any time soon, but I was encouraged that she was going to a non-fundamental church that worships to mainstream Christian music (That's a BIG step - fundies are weird about music and drums). While the pastor there isn't a favorite, I have been to several breeds of fundie churches and a fundie preacher he isn't. So while he's nattering on about stuff I don't agree with, I see him as a possible positive stepping stone in the right direction for Jill and Derick on the path to some normalcy.

I hope that you're right. Moving away from JB and Duggarville is the only hope for any of these kids. I am glad that Derick took the plunge, and that the Dillards are attempting to grow their knowledge base by learning a second language. I hope that Derick is able to lead and support Jill-

Derick was not raised in Gothardism and my hope is that he leads Jill to more mainstream Christianity, and that Izzie is not subject to the crazy upbringing that was provided in Duggarville.

Even though they left Arkansas, I don't believe they left Duggarville. Remember, they are working with SOS Ministries, which was chosen by JB for their missions many years ago. They are still under his influence, no matter the physical separation.

Here's one analysis I found -

Romans 6:1 is rooted back in Romans 5:20 - “You’ve just said God’s grace is so great, forgiveness is for every sin, so if we sin more, more grace grows†Yes. “Grace is the most wonderful gift in the world†Yes. “OK, if that is true, let’s keep on sinning so grace can keep on growing†READ Romans 6:2 - NO. The first step in living as a Christian is knowing we are Dead to sin. Ie. We’re like businesses, restaurants, that put up new signs, “under new managementâ€. Through faith we have passed from the old management (sin) to a whole new management headed by Christ. The sin nature we inherited from Adam that once ruled our lives, no longer has complete authority, no managerial power to keep making the directives of our lives. The new management brings new power to live a new way. It would be to Paul unthinkable for a Christian under new management to live as if sin is still in control.

It sounds like Derick is condemning Josh's actions. It’s in contrast to the scripture Jessa posted which is that if one confesses their sin, then God will forgive. Romans 6 is saying that God’s grace is not an excuse for people to fall into an endless sin-confess-repeat trap. A true believer would not let sins control their lives in that way, which clearly Josh was not following even though he and his parents claimed he had repented from his past “inappropriate mistakesâ€. Thus Josh is a hypocrite and not a real Christian.

Yeah, I'd interpret it as "yes, God forgives you, but that's not a get-out-of-jail free card to keep just doing the same shit because you can just ask for forgiveness. You should not let your screw-ups and sins rule your life or get mired down in self-loathing/guilt/whatever, because God has given you a new chance, but you need to take advantage of that new chance and be better than you were."

freejosiah, I love your avatar.

I'm impressed that Derick is attending a real language school.

I am rather surprised that Derick wasn't required to study a foreign language at university--but I think he was an accounting major, and foreign language study doesn't seem to be required at Oklahoma State U, per https://registrar.okstate.edu/sites/def ... B/BUS1.pdf

[i am also surprised that OSU doesn't require foreign language study for admission, but I know that not all US colleges do. I went to a public flagship university in the South, and foreign language study was required for admission]

freejosiah, I love your avatar.

I'm impressed that Derick is attending a real language school.

I am rather surprised that Derick wasn't required to study a foreign language at university--but I think he was an accounting major, and foreign language study doesn't seem to be required at Oklahoma State U, per https://registrar.okstate.edu/sites/def ... B/BUS1.pdf

[i am also surprised that OSU doesn't require foreign language study for admission, but I know that not all US colleges do. I went to a public flagship university in the South, and foreign language study was required for admission]

I don't know many colleges that require foreign languages to graduate (to get in is a different matter). I went to MSU and didn't have that, took some anyway, but that was my choice.

I don't know many colleges that require foreign languages to graduate (to get in is a different matter). I went to MSU and didn't have that, took some anyway, but that was my choice.

You know there are multiple MSUs, right?

I had to take two years in high school, but it wasn't required in university.

You know there are multiple MSUs, right?

I had to take two years in high school, but it wasn't required in university.

I know :)

FTR, it's Montana

I've studied at several colleges and all required foreign language classes to graduate. Unfortunately I do think foreign language education is becoming less and less valued in the US.

I went to a fairly large (30,000 undergrad pop) public university in the South and 2 semesters of foreign language were required. It was possible to test out of it based on high school language experience, but the placement exams were apparently really hard and I didn't bother take one for Latin, since I wanted to take a modern foreign language anyway. I'd say 95% of the student body had to take 1 or more semesters in college to fulfill the requirement.

Jill mentioned in her blog that both her and Derick would be attending language school. From what I can tell by the photo, it looks like they went to the CSA Spanish school in Antigua, Guatemala, which would fit with their multiple sightings in the country.

Their website says the school offers a very flexible program, with one-on-one customized lessons for every student. Rates start from $300 to $400 US dollars weekly, and that’s including room and board. Which isn’t cheap but it doesn’t sound that bad either? I don’t have any examples to compare it to though.

Also interesting is that their school is one of the few accredited institutions that can issue Diplomas of Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE), which I just found out is a real thing and not some hocus-pocus title on a piece of paper.

$3-400 a week including room and board doesn't seem like a terrible deal. Not super-cheap, but if accommodations are decent and most of the money goes towards paying local workers who cook the food/prepare lodgings/teach, I don't think it's an unfair price (I'd assume Guatemala doesn't have very high wages for most people). Looking at their website, it looks like they do hire locals to teach and room and board is through local homestay, which is awesome, and they seem like they're legit. Hell, I'd consider doing this program one day! Good on Jill and Derick for choosing what looks to be a legitimate, accredited, and well-designed program. This gives me hope that maybe they'll inch away from fundie-land, and hopefully being taught by local Guatemalans will humble them and teach them to be less condescending towards Central Americans. I know that my study abroad in China, where all of my teachers were Chinese, gave me a much richer perspective on life in China and made me abandon a lot of the assumptions I had about the country and culture.

Also, I really think that foreign language needs to be a requirement in US public schools. Pretty much everywhere else, kids are learning English or another language in addition to their native tongue from grade school onwards. We are doing our kids a great disservice by offering no language education at all, or delaying it until middle school, when it becomes much harder to master a language. I'm glad that now the elementary schools in my hometown are offering Spanish and French, and I think they're starting Mandarin at the middle school rather than just high school, but it needs to happen in more places. Learning another language opens so many doors and helps you across many academic subjects. I credit my good verbal/writing scores on the SAT to taking Spanish, Latin, and Greek classes in middle and high school, which improved my vocabulary in English. I became interested in Chinese literature and history because I took Mandarin, ultimately getting my degree in Chinese language/history. Knowing Mandarin has gotten me two (possibly three) jobs. People need to value language education much more in the US.

$3-400 a week including room and board doesn't seem like a terrible deal. Not super-cheap, but if accommodations are decent and most of the money goes towards paying local workers who cook the food/prepare lodgings/teach, I don't think it's an unfair price (I'd assume Guatemala doesn't have very high wages for most people). Looking at their website, it looks like they do hire locals to teach and room and board is through local homestay, which is awesome, and they seem like they're legit. Hell, I'd consider doing this program one day! Good on Jill and Derick for choosing what looks to be a legitimate, accredited, and well-designed program. This gives me hope that maybe they'll inch away from fundie-land, and hopefully being taught by local Guatemalans will humble them and teach them to be less condescending towards Central Americans. I know that my study abroad in China, where all of my teachers were Chinese, gave me a much richer perspective on life in China and made me abandon a lot of the assumptions I had about the country and culture.

Also, I really think that foreign language needs to be a requirement in US public schools. Pretty much everywhere else, kids are learning English or another language in addition to their native tongue from grade school onwards. We are doing our kids a great disservice by offering no language education at all, or delaying it until middle school, when it becomes much harder to master a language. I'm glad that now the elementary schools in my hometown are offering Spanish and French, and I think they're starting Mandarin at the middle school rather than just high school, but it needs to happen in more places. Learning another language opens so many doors and helps you across many academic subjects. I credit my good verbal/writing scores on the SAT to taking Spanish, Latin, and Greek classes in middle and high school, which improved my vocabulary in English. I became interested in Chinese literature and history because I took Mandarin, ultimately getting my degree in Chinese language/history. Knowing Mandarin has gotten me two (possibly three) jobs. People need to value language education much more in the US.

I completely agree... it needs to start in grade school.

Long time lurker, de-lurking because I can finally add something!

I teach HS in Oklahoma, OSU (and the state of Oklahoma) require either 2 credits of Foreign Language or 2 credits (credit=years, btw) of technology for admission. Is this crazy? Yes, IMO. Should language study be required? Yes, IMO. But I also know there's a huge shortage in that subject area. Sad, really.

I grew up in Oklahoma and graduated from OSU, and we had to take a minimum of two years of a foreign language to graduate from my High School, and I also had language requirements at OSU, so YMMV when it comes to language requirements in Oklahoma.

Jill's comments on the TLC special last night just confirmed for me how really uneducated and ignorant she is, yet how smug in her beliefs. I don't think that going to a language school in Central America is going to liberate her, change her or improve her in any way. She'll just spout the same crap in Spanish, rather than English. I wish they weren't inflicting their tragic brand of Christianity on people who have enough issues and troubles as it is.

I go to a public university in the mid-west and in my college (not the university but the college where my program is) we are required to take up to the 3rd semester of a foreign language. I am in the College of liberal arts and sciences however the business college, where accounting is, does not requires any foreign language. I think sometimes it just depends on your program.

I went to MTU ( it's very close to where JTTH to the heart is hosted). There wasn't any language requirements for any of the degrees but one. To get in you didn't need a foreign language but it was encoraged for you to get admitted. I am also pretty sure a fair amount of colleges my high school friends went didn't have a language requirement either.

Also when I was in High School foreign language problem was crap. Spanish was a goof off class cause the teacher preferred to watch baseball over teaching. The French program was basically cut when several of other programs were cut as well. My school district had no impess on foreign language even at high school level there was no introduction to things even in elementary school. I graduated close to ten years ago and there been no changes just more cuts.

I'm seeing Carlin Bates back in Tenn with Erin via her instagram, wonder if that means Jill, Derrick, and Joy are back in AK for Amy's wedding?

In one of the pictures from their mission they posted on their blog, Derek is looking like he is trying to pull off a "Porn Stache" (al la one of the guards from Orange is the New Black)

It's the one where it looks like is posing with a football (soccer) team. For some reason, his mustache looks really dark, and I'm still not used to the new shape of his face.

Archived