IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 5

happy atheist

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From their new blog post:

Above all, thank you to God and all our prayer and financial partners. We cannot express enough gratitude for the ways God has been working through so many of you to make this transition for our family as smooth as possible. God has used you all to bless us and to make our vision a reality for those who have yet to put their faith in Jesus Christ, who is our only hope for salvation.

This just rubs me the wrong way. Really.

And I'm not surprised about central America at all. Jill was always talking about learning Spanish and how she wanted to use those skills on a mission field. I'm happy that they're closer to home in comparison with Asia. I think that'll help everyone involved.

I hate the Dillards more and more every day. They're not there to help, they're just there to try to convert people (who are probably already Christians) into seeing Christ THEIR way.

Also why do they need your SSN, drivers license, checking account info, etc when you donate? This sounds like a total scam. Some leg humper is going to get their identity stolen.

Does anyone know if collecting all that personal information is typical for this sort of thing? It seems really excessive--and scary-- to me.

I hate the Dillards more and more every day. They're not there to help, they're just there to try to convert people (who are probably already Christians) into seeing Christ THEIR way.

Also why do they need your SSN, drivers license, checking account info, etc when you donate? This sounds like a total scam. Some leg humper is going to get their identity stolen.

Honestly, I don't even think that the Dillards really care if they convert anyone or not. The main point of these trips is to feel smug and self-righteous without having done anything. Seriously, how any people could David Waller really have converted in Mongolia?

Does anyone know if collecting all that personal information is typical for this sort of thing? It seems really excessive--and scary-- to me.

It seems very excessive. I helped with a fundraiser and all we needed was name/address/email/phone. The credit card number and Paypal information got entered in, but we only saw the last few digits of the accounts for security purposes.

It’s our prayer, and we ask you to please pray with us, that many more would repent of their ways and turn to God’s way for their life.

Ooh, that's frustrating. What "ways" do they think these people need to "repent" of? Not being Protestant, I guess. What a horribly condescending way to talk about the people you're supposedly serving.

Not at all surprised by Central America.

That blog post is just all kinds of annoying though.

It seems very excessive. I helped with a fundraiser and all we needed was name/address/email/phone. The credit card number and Paypal information got entered in, but we only saw the last few digits of the accounts for security purposes.

My boyfriend and I donated $50 cash to a unprivileged youth scholarship foundation last year, they got our names and email addresses and gave us a receipt with a ticket number(like a check number) and it was tax deductable.

Something sketchy is going on here Jillard.... :shifty-kitty:

I am really hating this smug, self-righteous grifting couple. I have given to numerous charities and have never, ever had to give that personal information. Ever. There is no reason for it.

I also have a special level of hatred for religion converters of any kind.

Not at all surprised by Central America.

That blog post is just all kinds of annoying though.

That's for sure, but at least the true purpose of their "mission" is no longer hidden.

All the people who wildly supported the Duggars based on what they saw on the show were only getting part of the story. I see this as being a little more plain-spoken. Now they just need to indicate why they are gathering all that extra info from contributors ...

I am really hating this smug, self-righteous grifting couple. I have given to numerous charities and have never, ever had to give that personal information. Ever. There is no reason for it.

I also have a special level of hatred for religion converters of any kind.

Used to work for a nonprofit. Yup, all we need is your name, email, and home or business address. Mainly so we can send you more stuff asking you for donations, but also so we can give you any tax info stuff if you want to deduct your donation. We don't need anything else, and we don't ask for anything else.

The only time I've ever seen an SSN or and ID required for a financial transaction other than opening a bank account is when you commit capital to an investment fund (I work at a PE firm), and the firm needs that information because it's related to your taxes and because of federal law regarding money laundering. So basically, unless you're a bank, a doctor's office/hospital, or an investment management firm, you should not be asking someone for their Social Security Number.

Im thinking about donating and writing in the comment section,

This money is for Izzy, not for your bullshit missionary....

I just went and set up an account with a bogus email so I could see the next page. If you want to pay by CC, they only ask for CC info. If you want automatic withdrawal from checking account, they ask for the usual account info, but no SSN or drivers license.

I work for a non-profit. It is cheaper to process a withdrawal from a checking account than from a credit card.

Im thinking about donating and writing in the comment section,

This money is for Izzy, not for your bullshit missionary....

...but then you'd have to give them money. :| Not worth it, but amusing to ponder their reactions to reading something like that.

...but then you'd have to give them money. :| Not worth it, but amusing to ponder their reactions to reading something like that.

It just kills me to think of that poor baby going without anything. IZZY CAN TAKE ALL MY MONEY

I'm assuming Derrick wrote the update. He's a pretty boring writer. Other than Israel being the popular white baby there, it just seems like your standard, God's awesome, we're being successful, give us money type BS anyone would write. Make me wonder how much $$ they are getting from their begging?

The only way these two could impress me at all is if they picked up a hammer or a hoe and actually used them. Can you even picture it? I can't.

So... Let's give them money so they can convince impoverished people they've got shit figured out and if only they would believe in Jesus as good as they do their lives will improve. Which, they won't, but these two can go home thinking how awesome and godly they are...maybe with a few extra bucks in their pockets.

Assholes.

I thought we knew they were in Central America - specifically El Salvador - per the furniture store guy. Was this in question?

I'm really curious about their Spanish ability. I lived in China for a year and a half, and even though my Chinese was pretty good (could carry on fairly complex conversations), it was still hard to talk to people about certain things I just didn't have the words for, or to talk with native speakers who didn't "dumb down" for me or speak in a more standard accent/dialect (for example, the very standard Mandarin I learned is almost an entirely different language from Shanghainese or the dialect spoken in the southwest where I worked). I couldn't imagine moving to a new country permanently if I didn't have a really solid handle on the language.

Archived