IGNORED

Jana's future

MoonFace

Jessa and Jill had no qualms about leaving their kids. Jordyn (?) cried at Jill's wedding. I got the impression that Jana was the disciplinarian in the house. When Joy was trying to get the little ones to sing, she threatened them with Jana.

I'm not implying that Jana is mean, bt she's been raising those children for a long time since her parents checked out. Remember when Josie got sick, as a baby and a child. Jana was doing the caring. Who will take care of sick or injured children if she leaves?

i remember that episode when Joy threatened to send the little ones to Jana - and I think it was Jackson and Hannie who said if we  get sent to Jana that is badddd - I was a little shocked - imagine if Jana couldn't handle the situation - would she send them to Michelle - or at the very least the power Jana has must be amazing - i wonder if they would fear her in that event....but then you see how Jana acted out when trying on her bridesmaid dress from Jessa - you actually saw a personality in that instant - and she must show that - just in private times 

shocking 

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i remember that episode when Joy threatened to send the little ones to Jana - and I think it was Jackson and Hannie who said if we  get sent to Jana that is badddd - I was a little shocked - imagine if Jana couldn't handle the situation - would she send them to Michelle - or at the very least the power Jana has must be amazing - i wonder if they would fear her in that event....but then you see how Jana acted out when trying on her bridesmaid dress from Jessa - you actually saw a personality in that instant - and she must show that - just in private times 

shocking 

It has been stated many times that they couldn't go to Michelle. The event was supposed to be a surprise for their parents. I imagine that Jana, as the oldest, is the one who is the stand in disciplinarian when Michelle and JB can't be for whatever reason. But I never took that to mean she was the only one. 

As the oldest in my family, that's the role I took. My brother and sister did their best to handle situations when they fought and I was in charge because they knew I wouldn't necessarily handle it the way they wanted or I would involve my parents when they got back. I was hardly scary or abusive or whatever, neither were my parents, but they more or less feared getting others involved in their squabbles. One famous incident is when my sister took the last ice cream that was meant for my brother while my parents were at a concert. My brother and sister fought about it, I got involved, my sister got angry because she wasn't getting her way, she stormed off in an absolute fit of rage and somehow failed to turn at the end of the hall. She ended up putting her knee though the wall. I had to call my parents at the concert. I put her in time out in her room until my parents came home (they had to leave early), and she ended up getting grounded. 

Of course this will probably never happen, but Jana needs to have a man who will not expect her to have eleventy kids and just love her for who she is. I can totally respect her for all the upbringing that she has had to do through the years but wish that she could just get away and find her future on her own, be that having tons of kids or none. Why has she been selected to be a martyr?

There's a cook on the food network who had a hard life.He mother drank & I don't know where the father was, but she had 5 siblings that she brought up, fed & clothed. She said she'd already raised 5 kids & didn't want any more.Nowo she's going w/the governor of NY; don't know if she's engaged or not. She's also 40.Breast cancer, too.

There's a cook on the food network who had a hard life.He mother drank & I don't know where the father was, but she had 5 siblings that she brought up, fed & clothed. She said she'd already raised 5 kids & didn't want any more.Nowo she's going w/the governor of NY; don't know if she's engaged or not. She's also 40.Breast cancer, too.

You talking about the Kwanzaa cake lady?

You talking about the Kwanzaa cake lady?

This has come up before, but I hadn't seen the video. In case anyone is interested in the Kwanzaa cake travesty: 

(Right, does anyone know how to shrink vids in the new system?)

Ah, yes. The Kwanzaa cake. And she did that w/a straight face. Did you notice hoe many times they c/p'd that video? I think it was FUBAR'D a few times.

LOL! Yeah, that's the one. Sandra Lee.

Sandra Lee was brought up during lunch at work today, discussing whether preparing frozen food counted as a home cooked meal or not.

This has come up before, but I hadn't seen the video. In case anyone is interested in the Kwanzaa cake travesty: 

Well, I don't care for frosting on angel food cake, and I don't understand how angel food cake is appropriate for a Kwaanza cake (maybe it explains it, but I wasn't attentive enough?) This really looks like something the Duggars would make if they were celebrating Kwaanza--or if Jill came back and appropriated the recipe for a Missionary to Cental America cake minus the candles and maybe with some nuts on top. :pb_biggrin:

Sandra Lee was brought up during lunch at work today, discussing whether preparing frozen food counted as a home cooked meal or not.

I don't know about whether or not counted as a home cooked meal, but I could never get behind her show because I don't need an entire program on Food TV telling me that it's OK to get pre-grated cheese in a package instead of grating my own. I could pick that up all by myself.

but she grew up in an environment where she knew what she went through wasn't normal. Jana grew up in an environment where her life is considered normal. Plus, it's likely that she had to work to support to kids while also attending a normal school (or possibly dropping out), while she raised her siblings. The Duggars don't allow their daughters to work outside the family businesses (unless you count fake midwifery and fake first responders) and they were homeschool according to ATI. They're totally different experiences. 

Depends on how much was prepared before the freezing.  ;)

A frozen lasagna is not "home cooking."

A dish made of frozen vegetables but with a sauce made from scratch (or at least partially from scratch?) is.

I don't even know how the Kwanzaa cake got brought up but bless you! My favorite love-to-hate (or hate-to-love, I'm not sure which) "food" segment of all time.

She used corn nuts, guys. Corn nuts!

If Sandra Lee wasn't Sandra Lee, that Kwanzaa cake would be downright offensive. Lucky for her, everyone knows that's just how she "cooks." Oh, Sandy.

Does anyone remember her infomercials for a quick and easy window-dressing system, from before she made it big? I was so mesmerized that I almost bought them. Almost. :pb_lol:

I agree with this. I fully believe their statements that JB's always running men by his daughters in hopes that one will stick. 

Yeah, Jana might just be picky. And if she is, good for her. Don't settle, Jana. Wait for your very own 'Chad'. 

I know this is stereotyping, but Sandra Lee looks way too thin to be a serious cook.  I doubt she eats her own Kwanzaa cakes.

I wish Jana would write a book.  Not a tell all, but just a "My Life As Jana Duggar" book.  I bet her true stories of everything she has done since she was five would be interesting. 

She's my favorite Duggar.  Well, I mean the one I feel for the most right now.  Maybe if she had social media I wouldn't care for her  like I don't care for Jill and Jessa. 

I know this is stereotyping, but Sandra Lee looks way too thin to be a serious cook.  I doubt she eats her own Kwanzaa cakes.

I am not sure I can forgive anyone for "creating" such an appalling cake and then not eating it.  :kitty-wink:

I wish Jana would write a book.  Not a tell all, but just a "My Life As Jana Duggar" book.  I bet her true stories of everything she has done since she was five would be interesting. 

She's my favorite Duggar.  Well, I mean the one I feel for the most right now.  Maybe if she had social media I wouldn't care for her  like I don't care for Jill and Jessa. 

I think that would be a fascinating read. Again, not a tell all - just a plain truth without tearing everyone apart. The only problem I would have with it would be where the proceeds go. If they were hers and hers alone, I would buy the book, but JB will have his hand in there somewhere and she won't see a cent. 

On 12/5/2015, 2:00:24, doubleT said:

Yeah, I've thought about this before. I feel like it's 'easier' to like and to root for Jana, Jinger and Joy because they haven't got social media to show their 'true colours' so to speak. If it was Jana who was married instead of Jessa....we'd probably still be rooting for 'Sassy Jessa' the way we root for Jana.

BUT considering just how much poor Jana has had on her shoulders as the oldest girl in that family....I'll always have an element of sympathy for her, even if she does show up on Instagram one day and is even preachier than Bin Seewald. 

On 12/3/2015, 7:23:03, EmCatlyn said:

Depends on how much was prepared before the freezing.  ;)

A frozen lasagna is not "home cooking."

A dish made of frozen vegetables but with a sauce made from scratch (or at least partially from scratch?) is.

I think the concept of semi-homemade is a good concept -- there's nothing wrong with doctoring up a jar sauce to cut down on prep time, using frozen veggies if it's hard to get out to the grocery store every week for fresh, or even (GASP) using a rotisserie chicken to make a casserole or something (believe it or not, I got this idea from Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time, a cooking show everyone should watch). It's a happy medium between processed convenience food (rarely good for you) and from-scratch homemade (which can be great, but also very time-consuming depending on the recipe). The problem is when you use crappy ingredients or make something that makes no gastronomic sense, or make something so fussy that it would have saved time and money to just do it from scratch.

11 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think the concept of semi-homemade is a good concept -- there's nothing wrong with doctoring up a jar sauce to cut down on prep time, using frozen veggies if it's hard to get out to the grocery store every week for fresh, or even (GASP) using a rotisserie chicken to make a casserole or something (believe it or not, I got this idea from Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time, a cooking show everyone should watch). It's a happy medium between processed convenience food (rarely good for you) and from-scratch homemade (which can be great, but also very time-consuming depending on the recipe). The problem is when you use crappy ingredients or make something that makes no gastronomic sense, or make something so fussy that it would have saved time and money to just do it from scratch.

I'm with you 100%. It is also more affordable than made from scratch sometimes. Depending on the time of year, certain fruits and veggies are remarkably expensive and the ones you do get are not all that wonderful. So yes, I will buy a jar of tomato sauce when it's on sale for 77 cents. Then I add some grape tomatoes that I froze from the summer before, some carrot, garlic etc. I doctor it.  

I've never even thought that using frozen veg would be something other than home made. A bag of frozen peas is always in our freezer at the ready. I don't even want to know how much it would cost to make peas for dinner if I had to buy fresh and shell them. 

I admit to taking short cuts on some things, but 99% of the time I make things myself (spaghetti sauce notwithstanding) 

6 minutes ago, Jeebusismycopilot said:

I'm with you 100%. It is also more affordable than made from scratch sometimes. Depending on the time of year, certain fruits and veggies are remarkably expensive and the ones you do get are not all that wonderful. So yes, I will buy a jar of tomato sauce when it's on sale for 77 cents. Then I add some grape tomatoes that I froze from the summer before, some carrot, garlic etc. I doctor it.  

I've never even thought that using frozen veg would be something other than home made. A bag of frozen peas is always in our freezer at the ready. I don't even want to know how much it would cost to make peas for dinner if I had to buy fresh and shell them. 

I admit to taking short cuts on some things, but 99% of the time I make things myself (spaghetti sauce notwithstanding) 

Feeling you on the jar sauce now. The grocery store I frequent just raised the price of tomatoes almost 10 pence, which doesn't seem like a lot, and I know it's winter and it makes sense why they'd cost more now, but ugh, I loved my cheaper tomatoes that I could stock up on and just make curries and pasta sauces from scratch to last me a week and a half!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived