IGNORED

Jana's future

MoonFace

I wish I had the space for a veggie garden. I've been trying to find a decent farmers market to make up for it.  I live in Florida and I'm super jealous of the ones in the Midwest where my family is from. Half the ones I go to here are soaps and crafts and stuff.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

I wish I had the space for a veggie garden. I've been trying to find a decent farmers market to make up for it.  I live in Florida and I'm super jealous of the ones in the Midwest where my family is from. Half the ones I go to here are soaps and crafts and stuff.

Many soaps and candles at the markets here too. But the markets are really fun anyway. 

2 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

i grow most of my own veggies so it is rare that I *need* to buy vegetables. I find it weird that frozen veggies or canned veggies aren't counted by some people as homemade. All the veggies in my freezer at the moment are homegrown. I even canned my own tomatoes this year (enough for one meal a week until May next year). There isn't much difference between what I freeze/can myself and what you can buy except that someone else did the labor. If you start getting to sauces then you're getting into prepared stuff. To be honest I would never buy peas in a pod. If they haven't been sprayed at the right time they can be full of insects and you can tell from the outside.

Sometimes I'm jealous of people who don't have a veggie garden. Seriously I appreciate canned veggies/buying fresh at the supermarket so much more now. Getting/having to harvest my own veggies before every meal takes up a lot of time. I frequently have to add an extra half hour of prep time onto recipes just to account for the homegrownness.

My pet peeve in relation to recipes is that now a lot of baking ones have ingredients like '1 box of xxx brand cake mix' - I never know how to replace them. I think they need a new word to distinguish 'from scratch' recipes from the 'buy semi-prepared' recipes.

For the boxed recipes that have brand names, just replace them with any recipe you have for a similar cake type (you can also search "[brand] [mix] knock off" on google and Pinterest). They typically say certain brands because they're getting paid for the product placement. 

5 hours ago, religiouslyconfused said:

Unfortunately it is a real video! 

Which lead me to at last half an hour of watching Sandra Lee's "cooking" on Youtube. Thank you FJ :popcorn:

9 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

My pet peeve in relation to recipes is that now a lot of baking ones have ingredients like '1 box of xxx brand cake mix' - I never know how to replace them. I think they need a new word to distinguish 'from scratch' recipes from the 'buy semi-prepared' recipes.

White Cake Mix Substitute Recipe
2 1/2 C. flour
1 3/4 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C. powdered milk

1. Sift all ingredients together.
2. Seal in a plastic bag and use in place of any recipe calling for "white cake mix"

Chocolate Cake Mix Substitute
2 C. flour
1 3/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. cocoa, unsweetened
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. shortening

1. Combine all ingredients using a food processor (the blades cut up the shortening and help to blend it in).
2. Store and plastic bags or jars until ready to use.
3. Use in place of any cake mix recipe

No eggs @Bethella?

I haven't made a packet cake in about 15 years, and have very simple butter cake and chocolate cake recipes which are always good. Pretty similar to yours, but with eggs as well.

Everytime any of you mentions Sandra Lee in relation to food i gag. Dr Pimple Popper, on youtube, is tge sandra lee i think of

18 hours ago, Karma said:

No eggs @Bethella?

I haven't made a packet cake in about 15 years, and have very simple butter cake and chocolate cake recipes which are always good. Pretty similar to yours, but with eggs as well.

These are a substitute for dry boxed cake mixes when they are called for in other recipes. For example this cake (one of my favorites) http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/chocolate-candy-cane-cake-89652.aspx, calls for a chocolate cake mix but instead of following the box you add sour cream, 4 eggs, chocolate pudding, milk, water, oil, chopped chocolate and crushed candy canes. :56247955dd693_32(12): I've never tried making a cake using just this substitute mix, although I'm sure you could figure out what a box calls for and add it to this mix.

That looks pretty yum!

You're right.  I had forgotten that you have to add eggs and milk to packet mixes.   Forgive my confusion - it is a long time since I've used one. The real thing tastes so much better than packet mixes, and it's really no more time consuming to make.  I'd never thought about using my recipe to substitute for a packet in a recipe like this though.  Might have to give it a go!

I come from a family of 4 girls, I'm the 3rd.  The older duggar girls remind me in, many ways, of my family....it's actually a little scary.  We all seem to match up pretty well with the Duggar girls.  I hate to admit it but I see a bit of my 20something self in Jessa. The 2nd oldest girl in my family really reminds me of Jill....a lot. My youngest sister is scary like Jinger.  So...Jana!   Yup....just like my oldest sister.  Let's call her sister "A".

Sister "A" married at 30.  (2nd sister (Jill) was first to get married at age 24 and I (Jessa) got married at 23.)   Sound familiar?  There are other similarities but not worth going into now. Lol   Sister "A" is the most like my parents.  She tends to parrot everything they stand for.  (They are wonderful people, but just more conservative than I am)  She very much "toes the family line".   I wouldn't be surprised if Jana is the same way.  All that responsibility for all those years and she in completely in line with her parents.  I don't see her breaking free.   Jana will eventually get married, to a daddy approved man.  Like sister "A", I think she is just picky, waiting for the guy who fits the ATI mold.    I really hope I'm wrong ,but I think Jana is not going to break away. 

If I understand Jessa's meaning correctly, then Jana has more than serviceable artistic skills! Which is pretty tragic considering that she isn't allowed to develop them properly....

For some reason, I highly doubt Jana drew those figures from scratch. If she had those skills we would have heard about it before. Let us not forget that she is also a "concert" pianist. 

Go Jana!  I tend to think she could have drawn these from scratch...these figures are not super difficult if you have a bit of talent and pretty good hand- eye coordination.  The mistaskes made seem to be rudimentary and with just a bit of training would have been corrected.  Just copying these from a smaller piece of art would reqire a bit of talent, but as she seems to be modeling at least one of these figures from a photo I doubt it was just a picture in a coloring book.  Years ago when I was an art student we all had "morgues".  Files of pictures of eyes, hands. trees, cars--anything in fact.  We would use these pictures to refresh our minds of exactly what something looked like (as opposed to what we thought they looked like) while creating a rendering.  Seems that is what she is doing with the photo on the phone.

I completely believe that she did draw these on her own, no reason to doubt it.  It's amazing what a little time and effort can do. But that does take some skill and they look fantastic. It is a shame to think of that talent as being wasted. 

Probably another sad case of a talent not being able to be developed.......Jana could have made a great graphic designer of something if she has artistic talent, but instead, she is living at home at almost 26, waiting to become a baby machine. Sucks. 

I'm happy it seems like she based them off the likeness of middle eastern folks instead of the typical whitewashed nativity that I would expect from southern Christians. 

39 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

I'm happy it seems like she based them off the likeness of middle eastern folks instead of the typical whitewashed nativity that I would expect from southern Christians. 

I thought the exact same thing ! It's refreshing.

3 hours ago, Lewy said:

Probably another sad case of a talent not being able to be developed.......Jana could have made a great graphic designer of something if she has artistic talent, but instead, she is living at home at almost 26, waiting to become a baby machine. Sucks. 

Sucks very much! Can't help but think she could have made a fantastic preschool teacher... or an artist... who knows! Ugh, I hate JB and J'chelle!

18 hours ago, Hiddenomaha said:

If I understand Jessa's meaning correctly, then Jana has more than serviceable artistic skills! Which is pretty tragic considering that she isn't allowed to develop them properly....

Jana's art looks very nice, but seriously, can they stop using the Star of David on everything? It's incredibly annoying to see people who would spit on me or talk down to me for my religion/culture use the symbol of my religion/culture -- a symbol that was used to persecute people of my religion/culture just seventy years ago -- so indiscriminately.

27 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Jana's art looks very nice, but seriously, can they stop using the Star of David on everything? It's incredibly annoying to see people who would spit on me or talk down to me for my religion/culture use the symbol of my religion/culture -- a symbol that was used to persecute people of my religion/culture just seventy years ago -- so indiscriminately.

I was raised in a Catholic Church and we were taught that the Star of David was a symbol of Jesus and how he came from the house of David. 

3 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I was raised in a Catholic Church and we were taught that the Star of David was a symbol of Jesus and how he came from the house of David. 

Same here. Lutheran ... back in the first ice age. :my_rolleyes:

In this context I don't think that the star is a problem but I hate when Christians wear the star of David as necklaces. Often they also have weird views that the Jews should be converted to bring on the second coming of Christ too which makes it even more weird. 

7 hours ago, elliha said:

In this context I don't think that the star is a problem but I hate when Christians wear the star of David as necklaces. Often they also have weird views that the Jews should be converted to bring on the second coming of Christ too which makes it even more weird. 

That's the issue I have. If the symbol resonates with Christians, that's fine. But if you have this weird religious hate-boner for Jews and say really ignorant, anti-Semitic things and talk down to Jews because they don't worship the same way as you, assume that all Jews agree with your wackadoo views about Israel, or tell Jews that they're bad people because they don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah, and THEN go around slapping the Star of David on everything, I have a problem.

I found the TH from Jana very honest and telling. She said she was looking at everyone she knew, and wondered if they were telling the truth about who they were or if they were just wearing a mask. There was obviously some deep questioning done by Jana. The other girls didn't give such a reaction that I noticed, but Jana's stuck out to me.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived