IGNORED

Lack of interest in Maxwell conferences

SPHASH

What an evil tool.

It's unclear from the chapter how long it lasted or how much Teri perceived it to be hostile or coercive. What is clear is that Teri was struggling and may have been experiencing a mental health crisis. And Steve just did not give a shit-- the only thing that mattered to him is that she continued with the lifestyle. It makes him sound like Rusty Yates. They're lucky that Teri was able to hold it together in the long run.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the article text.

:shock: I can't quite believe that all came from Michael Pearl.

Re: the Michael Pearl text, it was truly horrible to read (the way MP described the woman, with focus on the looks; the way the Folger family decided to put her on the marriage mart because it would be better for her to marry American, like she was cattle they were trying to unload; etc.), but I am more struck by two things:

How right MP was about the damage caused by isolating homeschoolers and, more shockingly, that he was willing to listen and learn from someone else. MP's natural inclination was to keep the older daughter home so she can help with younger kids, but he was actually willing to change his mind when he saw the error of his thinking.

Damn, Steve, MP just pulled ahead of you in my opinion poll. That's not a good day, Steve-o. Not a good day.

Here's the article text.

Thank you for finding this. I had looked for it awhile back and couldn't find it. To me this was definitely aimed at the Maxwells who were former friends of the Pearls. I wonder if this was the reason they are former friends.

From the text under the spoiler:

"Then someone pulled from ancient Chaldean and Sumerian culture, also practiced by Jews of that day as reflected in Scripture, a system of Patriarchal rule. It was the way nomadic clans were held together, a necessity of the times, but never taught by Moses, the prophets, or Christ as God’s divine plan."

This is also amazing because it is inching close to academic/historical criticism of the Bible. It is always funny to me as someone with some academic Bible classes under my belt that so much of Christian patriarchy is based on Proverbs: Proverbs is perhaps the least distinctively Israelite book in the Bible. You could find the same kinds of sayings as in Proverbs in ancient Near Eastern texts or Egyptian ones. Respect hierarchy. Do what your parents say (and make your own kids obey). Don't rock the boat. It is not something special "revealed" to Israel; it is the "common sense" you share with your differently-worshiping neighbors. You don't find this POV so much in the Pentateuch (Five Books of Moses/Torah) or in the prophets.

It's just incredible to me that Michael Pearl, of all people, is willing to say that patriarchy is a historically conditioned ancient phenomenon that doesn't apply to us, and that we can see it in some books in the Bible more than others (because the books have different histories and are not timeless??!!)

One ancient Egyptian work with a number of parallels to Proverbs is the Instruction of Amenemope

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_of_Amenemope

Right? Many parts of the article are sexist and problematic, but the gist is just so...reasonable. And thoughtful. Who knew he had it in him?

There's that old saying--that someone is "so heavenly-minded that they're of no earthly use." The Maxwells fit that description to a T. But when even someone like Michael Pearl is pointing them out as too extreme? That's saying a lot.

Steve and Teri Maxwell's system of isolation and oversheltering is weird, extreme, and unworkable--even for fundie homeschooling parents who might agree with them on so many individual points. It doesn't even work for the Maxwells; even the kids who have married and left home aren't doing anything great or notable, and are still enmeshed with their parents.

We snark on some pretty rotten people (including Pearl), and individual FJers have horror stories of their own about their fundie-homeschooled upbringings, but I do think that most fundie homeschooler parents truly want better for their children than what the Maxwells have on offer (especially now that the results are evident). There isn't much point in raising a quiver full of arrows for the Lord, after all, if they're too blunt, twisted, or damaged to ever hit their intended target--or are never allowed out of the quiver to take flight in the first place.

Lo and behold, a new "Will the Maxwells do a conference trip?" post is up, bemoaning Uriah's demise and the resulting need to spend money on hotel rooms. IF, that is, they do one at all.

We all have until June 15 to pray about this, and decide if we feel a heart-tug, so get cracking everyone!

I really feel like the maxwells should come to Detroit... Therof has laid it on my heart to introduce them to christians who know the bible backwards, forwards, and sideways...

The lord has also laid it upon my heart to buy popcorn.

I actually feel sad for the Maxwell chidults. These conferences were a rare oppurtunity for them to get out of the house for a bit, and to interact with other people (leghumpers, sure. But still better than nothing).

The trip will need to have most evenings/days filled to make it feasible.

Translation: We'll need to take in enough "love offerings" and sell enough of our crap to exceed travel expenses and come out ahead.

There’s no secret about it. We love to travel as a family. Each member is part of the team, and when one gets married, everyone else pitches in to cover what they did.

Translation: The Maxwell male offspring who've been lucky enough to get hitched are off the hook. The chidults still living under the iron fists of Steve and Teri are required to pick up the slack.

No heart tug, but I do feel a little bad for the sisters. At least the male Maxwells can pursue a love interest (just claim the Lord led you), and can travel alone out of the country.

Never in a million years could the sisters do that.

These trips are their only break from Maxwell monotony.

No heart tug, but I do feel a little bad for the sisters. At least the male Maxwells can pursue a love interest (just claim the Lord led you), and can travel alone out of the country.

Never in a million years could the sisters do that.

These trips are their only break from Maxwell monotony.

I agree, I feel bad for the sisters.

:wink-penguin: I think it has been said before, as weird as the Ardnt's are, the girls would probably have more fun :penguin-no: being married to an Ardnt brother than continuing to live in Maxhell.

There's that old saying--that someone is "so heavenly-minded that they're of no earthly use." The Maxwells fit that description to a T. But when even someone like Michael Pearl is pointing them out as too extreme? That's saying a lot.

Steve and Teri Maxwell's system of isolation and oversheltering is weird, extreme, and unworkable--even for fundie homeschooling parents who might agree with them on so many individual points. It doesn't even work for the Maxwells; even the kids who have married and left home aren't doing anything great or notable, and are still enmeshed with their parents.

We snark on some pretty rotten people (including Pearl), and individual FJers have horror stories of their own about their fundie-homeschooled upbringings, but I do think that most fundie homeschooler parents truly want better for their children than what the Maxwells have on offer (especially now that the results are evident). There isn't much point in raising a quiver full of arrows for the Lord, after all, if they're too blunt, twisted, or damaged to ever hit their intended target--or are never allowed out of the quiver to take flight in the first place.

At least, the Maxhell's didn't seem to use plumbing rod to train up their children....though I could be wrong.

"Never allowed out of the quiver" would be a great post count title.

Or a euphemism for those sent to the prayer closet

At least, the Maxhell's didn't seem to use plumbing rod to train up their children....though I could be wrong.

Maybe. Although I'm seriously not sure what's worse: getting raised by the Pearl method but being able to leave as a young adult. Or getting raised by Stevehova and having to spend your whole life in Maxhell.

Maybe. Although I'm seriously not sure what's worse: getting raised by the Pearl method but being able to leave as a young adult. Or getting raised by Stevehova and having to spend your whole life in Maxhell.

I'll take the rod for the win, Alex. Future freedom would be worth it.

Teri needed to have called an abuse hotline after that incident where Steve locked up her kids. I wish she had done that and escaped with the kids to a safe house. I'm sure Steve has threatened her with taking away the kids if she tries to leave. They may be adults now, but he still holds the brainwashing tools. I think Teri would be less likely to see her kids now than if she had left when they were still minors. Steve is a horrible, evil man.

Oh, and the reason that the Maxwells' conferences are failing is because they do not make real connections or friendships with others, and they are not open and friendly. Any "friendliness" is for the sole purpose of selling their products, and I think it's obvious to even their most devoted of followers by now. I believe the Maxwells would completely shutter themselves from the world if they didn't have to make a living. The Maxwells can come up with any plan they want (Energize! etc.) but nothing will fix the root cause of their dwindling audience, because they have no interest in fixing it.

That is exactly what I thought when I was at the Energize conference.

After it was over and they were all at the tables selling stuff, I went to talk to Sarah. I told her I was on FJ, and said "You probably know about it." She smiled and nodded. I said "I just want to tell you that we all just wish you well and want you to be happy."

Before I even finished, she had a big grin on and said "I am SO happy with the life my Lord has given me. I am SO happy." I remember saying I was glad, and she reiterated "SO happy" a couple more times. I left feeling like something weird just happened.

On the way home, it hit me. If someone told me they were worried about me and just wanted me to be happy... I'd say thank you. Even if I didn't like who they were or what they thought of my family, I'd at least thank them for caring or for their interest or whatever. I felt like Sarah didn't see me as a person, but as an audience, and she just put up the same show rather than interact.

So, are conference bookers/attendees expecting an Energize! conference or a Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit conference? Both themes have their logos featured. Are they doing both at the same time? Can bookers specify?

That is exactly what I thought when I was at the Energize conference.

After it was over and they were all at the tables selling stuff, I went to talk to Sarah. I told her I was on FJ, and said "You probably know about it." She smiled and nodded. I said "I just want to tell you that we all just wish you well and want you to be happy."

Before I even finished, she had a big grin on and said "I am SO happy with the life my Lord has given me. I am SO happy." I remember saying I was glad, and she reiterated "SO happy" a couple more times. I left feeling like something weird just happened.

On the way home, it hit me. If someone told me they were worried about me and just wanted me to be happy... I'd say thank you. Even if I didn't like who they were or what they thought of my family, I'd at least thank them for caring or for their interest or whatever. I felt like Sarah didn't see me as a person, but as an audience, and she just put up the same show rather than interact.

That is insanely sad. We say Poor Sarah and we know what we mean by that, but for her to seemingly over compensate with the "SO happy" comment just puts a more tragic spin on it for me. Is her true self so buried that she'd never be able to access it? This is just killing me. I wish I had a spare bedroom that she could hunker down in.

Or it could just be the Boulevard Imperial Stout X-Aztec Chocolate talking.

That is insanely sad. We say Poor Sarah and we know what we mean by that, but for her to seemingly over compensate with the "SO happy" comment just puts a more tragic spin on it for me. Is her true self so buried that she'd never be able to access it? This is just killing me. I wish I had a spare bedroom that she could hunker down in.

Or it could just be the Boulevard Imperial Stout X-Aztec Chocolate talking.

Honestly? I think she is happy. I think that Steve has stunted their emotional growth, pruning them like little bonsai trees, and now they would be lost without him. They might have had the potential for rich, fulfilling lives, but that's all gone. At this point, it's kinder to leave them where they are.

Archived