IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 12

homeschoolmomma1

Where does it say that? I haven't seen that anywhere.

First I clicked on his name (Kevin A. Crass) in the article and the new site says:

"Since 1997, he has served as personal counsel to Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee." - And I thought that meant the same as personal lawyer/attorney.

But I also googled his name and it says that Crass is Huckabees personal attorney in other places. For example here: ww.cbsnews.com/news/hucks-gift-givers-ended-up-in-state-posts/ and here: ww.thecabin.net/stories/062399/sta_0623990011.html#.VYZ1e0Y-qtM (Random old articles.) And here: ww.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2013/01/18/end-of-an-era-on-state-parole-board

ETA: A more recent article.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would ask what would TLC get out of suing the Duggars?

No idea. However, they have sued RTV families before. TLC sued Jon Gosselin (and the Gosselin Family Inc.) back in 2009 for breach of contract. He filed a countersuit and they eventually settled out of court. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/1 ... 65932.html

It could be that Jim Bob is posturing about suing if TLC cancels the show - and TLC is threatening to file a countersuit against the Duggars in return. TLC also invoked a morals clause in the Gosselin suit, IIRC. It would be rather ironic if the Duggars went down on a morals clause. :popcorn:

Has anyone found any coverage of Jill and Jessa's speech today at the Alive Festival? I've been combing the internet in the hope that I would find either a brief synopsis of their appearance or a video. So far no luck, has anyone else has any luck?

Apparently it was a bust. It was an outdoor event and it rained the whole time during their 45-minute appearance! (A sign from the heavens?????? :lol:)

Here's a recap:

Jessa's hair extensions were noticeably longer than usual. Both girls look entirely different when TV crews aren't around for hair styling and makeup. Ben was sporting his new Jim-Bob hairdo, but his unshaven face makes him look like a drugie.

Jill and Derick said that that "married life is awesome†and “Babies are awesome.†(The couple obviously didn't get a thesaurus as a wedding present.)

Jessa Seewald said the TV programs she and Ben like to watch are: The Andy Griffith Show, Leave It to Beaver and Hogan’s Heroes. (You just can't make this stuff up - way to funny!)

http://www.timesreporter.com/article/20 ... /150629972

JB got paid a certain amount per episode of 19 Kids. Some say $40,000 per episode but it would not surprise me if the actual amount was higher. Anyway, TLC showed reruns of 19 Kids almost on a continual loop some days. Does TLC pay "residuals" for showing reruns or do they get to show them as often as they want without paying JB?

I would ask what would TLC get out of suing the Duggars?

Maybe it's a defensive move. Maybe whatever has been 'holding' up TLC canceling the show is dragging and TLC see's that there is now an ongong, open DHS investigation and after the interviews with Megyn, they see that the show is just a no go for the future, but that JB is holding up a nice, clean separation. It wouldn't surprise me because w/ Huckabee so close to JB & family now TLC is worried that when the 2016 election comes around (which will actually begin for Huckabee with the Republican primaries), the mud slinging will start and if Huckabee is in it, maybe the Duggars will be dragged into it OR that since so many are asking what TLC knew about the Josh situation that TLC just wants out of this.

I mean, Josh did sue Arkansas DHS or someother govt. entity. I'd be scared of that mentality too. Sue happy people generally don't stop at just once, especially if they've gotten a settlement out of the first one which seems might be the case.

Because it's really not just about TLC, the parent company I think is Discovery Communications and they own a whole bunch of media channels on cable. Imagine if people really started boycotting the entire media company and all their channels? Asking advertisers to pull out? It would be a huge financial and embarrasing thing for more than one channel. The possibiliy of being dragged through a political mess is enough for me to think they are scrambling to get Out of Dodge, quick.

JB got paid a certain amount per episode of 19 Kids. Some say $40,000 per episode but it would not surprise me if the actual amount was higher. Anyway, TLC showed reruns of 19 Kids almost on a continual loop some days. Does TLC pay "residuals" for showing reruns or do they get to show them as often as they want without paying JB?

I'm sure it is in their contract that the Duggars get paid residuals any time their shows are aired. That's pretty standard for TV shows in this day and age.

Are you sure that TLC is continuing to show reruns? Last I heard, they stopped airing those on May 22. Did you see shows in syndication somewhere or on TLC?

I'm sure it is in their contract that the Duggars get paid residuals any time their shows are aired. That's pretty standard for TV shows in this day and age.

Are you sure that TLC is continuing to show reruns? Last I heard, they stopped airing those on May 22. Did you see shows in syndication somewhere or on TLC?

There was a comment here maybe last week (?) from a person who lives in Europe and she said that reruns had started back up in her country-

I also thought I read somewhere that reality TV did not pay out residuals for reruns aired.

There was a comment here maybe last week (?) from a person who lives in Europe and she said that reruns had started back up in her country-

I also thought I read somewhere that reality TV did not pay out residuals for reruns aired.

I'm sorry. I should have been clearer in my comment. I meant that prior to TLC suspending the show, they would show reruns not only on a daily basis but Mondays and Tuesdays were practically all Duggar. If they get paid for those reruns, JB must have been making an absolute fortune. No other show on TLC was aired more than 19 Kids.

Interesting indeed. From the article:

This is where it gets interesting: the attorney named, Kevin A. Crass, doesn’t specialize in defense of child abuse charges, or in suing government agencies. However, in his list of specialties, something else appears that could be relevant to the Duggar family’s current state of affairs: breach of contract.

They are suing TLC. Oh boy.

More likely, TLC is sueing the Duggars for breach.

Could TLC sue the Duggars for anything? The only thing I can think about it the molestation but either TLC knew about it (the most likely option) or the Duggars didn't tell them. And I don't see a legal problem contract wise about not telling TLC. (morally yes! But that is a different story) Its not like TLC is law enforcement or anything.

Misrepresentation.

I am interested in the way Jessa and Ben get their favorite television programs. Do they watch them on DVD? Do they have cable? Do they watch them on MeTV, which I believe does not require cable? I find it hard to believe that, if they have a TV, those are the only shows they watch.

On a side note, I never could get into Hogan's Heroes. The whole idea of funny Nazi's (I know they made them look foolish) was a turn-off for me. Interestingly, I recently read an interview with the VP of Programming for MeTV (we are from the same town and went to the same high school) and he was asked about any show that he airs that he does not really like....his response was Hogan's Heroes.

I am interested in the way Jessa and Ben get their favorite television programs. Do they watch them on DVD? Do they have cable? Do they watch them on MeTV, which I believe does not require cable? I find it hard to believe that, if they have a TV, those are the only shows they watch.

I could care less what they watch on TV, if anything. Did they have 10 year olds asking the questions?

Scripted shows pay residuals, but reality shows don't.

What they should have asked them is how they planned on supporting mega families, debt free,[or at all] if they all refuse to work for a living.

What they should have asked them is how they planned on supporting mega families, debt free,[or at all] if they all refuse to work for a living.

I noticed Derick mentioned leaving WalMart = he said (paraphrasing so don't hold me to exact words) "Don't think we can match last year with a new job and a baby".

When TLC pulled the show from its schedule on May 22, what it pulled were three show airings scheduled for the following Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and one scheduled for the first week in June. Those were presumably reruns.

If the Duggars don't get paid for reruns, why were they so upset that those airings were pulled? The show had not and still has not been cancelled.

http://www.people.com/article/19-kids-c ... osh-duggar

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/22/tl ... d-counting

TV actors (non-reality) typically are paid royalties on the first airing of a rerun only. However, the parties can negotiate anything they want to in a contract so long as union minimum requirements and other laws are adhered to. Reality stars can also negotiate for better compensation.

Because the series has been on for seven years (with a few specials before that), the Duggars were in a favorable negotiating position to ask for a great deal, including residual payments for reruns, syndication, and royalties on DVD and digital sales.

When TLC pulled the show from its schedule on May 22, what it pulled were three show airings scheduled for the following Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and one scheduled for the first week in June. Those were presumably reruns.

If the Duggars don't get paid for reruns, why were they so upset that those airings were pulled? The show had not and still has not been cancelled.

http://www.people.com/article/19-kids-c ... osh-duggar

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/22/tl ... d-counting

TV actors (non-reality) typically are paid royalties on the first airing of a rerun only. However, the parties can negotiate anything they want to in a contract so long as union minimum requirements and other laws are adhered to. Reality stars can also negotiate for better compensation.

Because the series has been on for seven years (with a few specials before that), the Duggars were in a favorable negotiating position to ask for a great deal, including residual payments for reruns, syndication, and royalties on DVD and digital sales.

Lack of SAG benefits is likely part of the equation.

No idea. However, they have sued RTV families before. TLC sued Jon Gosselin (and the Gosselin Family Inc.) back in 2009 for breach of contract. He filed a countersuit and they eventually settled out of court. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/1 ... 65932.html

It could be that Jim Bob is posturing about suing if TLC cancels the show - and TLC is threatening to file a countersuit against the Duggars in return. TLC also invoked a morals clause in the Gosselin suit, IIRC. It would be rather ironic if the Duggars went down on a morals clause. :popcorn:

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe the idea of TLC is to get them in litigation (like Gosselin) and like Josh's lawsuit against Arkansas govt. and knowing that the Duggars are money hungry, figure they will settle out of court just to get rid of them. Seems like a lot of 'out of court' settlements happening lately anyhow. Like it's the way big business takes care of unfortunate business issues. Give em money to go away.

I bet that TLC has a moral clause for the Duggars too. That's probably how they were able to get rid of Honey Boo Boo so easily. If they had one for Gosselin's I bet it's standard practice with reality shows.

Maybe this is why JB has all those LLC businesses. Maybe he uses them so if/when he get's sued they can only take the LLC assets and not personal assets. The LLC probably has no assets. Jim Boob is proabably wanking off right now thinking about it.

Apparently it was a bust. It was an outdoor event and it rained the whole time during their 45-minute appearance! (A sign from the heavens?????? :lol:)

Here's a recap:

Jessa's hair extensions were noticeably longer than usual. Both girls look entirely different when TV crews aren't around for hair styling and makeup. Ben was sporting his new Jim-Bob hairdo, but his unshaven face makes him look like a drugie.

Jill and Derick said that that "married life is awesome†and “Babies are awesome.†(The couple obviously didn't get a thesaurus as a wedding present.)

Jessa Seewald said the TV programs she and Ben like to watch are: The Andy Griffith Show, Leave It to Beaver and Hogan’s Heroes. (You just can't make this stuff up - way to funny!)

It's all dat home grown edumacation that they know all those big words.

I am happy that Jessa & Ben have a tv though. One small leap for Jess & Ben. :clap:

When your not raising your siblings, you gotz time on your hands, fo sho.

Here's a recap:

Any idea how many people were there for their part?

For people who claim to follow the Lord's guidance, etc, it seems they are incredibly dumb in how they see that. If you come from a place where you think God is micromanaging your life and guiding you every step of the way, then why oh why would you not have understood that perhaps God was

1) telling you to stop having babies after Josie and Jubilee?

2) telling you to stop getting pregnant after severe Pre-eclampsia

3) telling you to stop trying to get pregnant after not conceiving for a few years, but instead you choose to visit a fertility doctor

4) telling you that your methods of raising your children in ignorance of normal sexual development, masturbation, puberty, etc isn't working when one of your children is molesting your other children

5) telling you that letting your older children raise the younger ones isn't working when it is obvious your children have not been kept safe,

6) telling you their education is lacking when a 14 year old is still needing to review flashcards for basic math

7) telling you that your odd obsessions with modest dress isn't protecting your daughters from being sexually molested

8) telling you that putting your children's life on TV and living your life in the public eye is not a healthy way to raise a family, by showing how damaging invasions of privacy can be

9) telling you that when you live in a glass house, you should not be throwing stones of judgment on others

10) telling you that public support is not all that great as evidenced by the amount of scrubbing needed on all your social networks

11) telling you that people really don't want to hear that much of what you have to say by having your speaking engagements cancelled

12) telling you again, that speaking in public is not a good idea by sending rains etc to keep away your dwindling fan base.

And these are just the first ones I came up with. No, I am not saying that God had a hand in any of this, but it is their belief system that God is pulling all the strings, except of course when the strings are pulled in a way that they don't like, then it is someone else's fault.

They are so arrogant in their beliefs that before they pray to God for help, they already know what they want God to say, and they assume God will do that. When the answer the get from God is very different, instead of saying "Well God is telling us differently" they instead claim persecution from others as the reason instead of every considering that maybe God had a different plan for them.

Again, understand, I am not saying that I think God works in this way, but these people do.

Any idea how many people were there for their part?

For people who claim to follow the Lord's guidance, etc, it seems they are incredibly dumb in how they see that. If you come from a place where you think God is micromanaging your life and guiding you every step of the way, then why oh why would you not have understood that perhaps God was

1) telling you to stop having babies after Josie and Jubilee?

2) telling you to stop getting pregnant after severe Pre-eclampsia

3) telling you to stop trying to get pregnant after not conceiving for a few years, but instead you choose to visit a fertility doctor

4) telling you that your methods of raising your children in ignorance of normal sexual development, masturbation, puberty, etc isn't working when one of your children is molesting your other children

5) telling you that letting your older children raise the younger ones isn't working when it is obvious your children have not been kept safe,

6) telling you their education is lacking when a 14 year old is still needing to review flashcards for basic math

7) telling you that your odd obsessions with modest dress isn't protecting your daughters from being sexually molested

8) telling you that putting your children's life on TV and living your life in the public eye is not a healthy way to raise a family, by showing how damaging invasions of privacy can be

9) telling you that when you live in a glass house, you should not be throwing stones of judgment on others

10) telling you that public support is not all that great as evidenced by the amount of scrubbing needed on all your social networks

11) telling you that people really don't want to hear that much of what you have to say by having your speaking engagements cancelled

12) telling you again, that speaking in public is not a good idea by sending rains etc to keep away your dwindling fan base.

And these are just the first ones I came up with. No, I am not saying that God had a hand in any of this, but it is their belief system that God is pulling all the strings, except of course when the strings are pulled in a way that they don't like, then it is someone else's fault.

They are so arrogant in their beliefs that before they pray to God for help, they already know what they want God to say, and they assume God will do that. When the answer the get from God is very different, instead of saying "Well God is telling us differently" they instead claim persecution from others as the reason instead of every considering that maybe God had a different plan for them.

Again, understand, I am not saying that I think God works in this way, but these people do.

I think it's all just a phony act for some (JB and perhaps Jessa) and brainwashing for many others (Jill comes to mind). The reason I think this is because as you have illustrated above, their words, actions and outcomes do not mesh. For those of who are not brainwashed, it's crystal clear that their beliefs are built on quicksand, yet many of them are blinded to that fact, despite being surrounded by sand up their nostrils, while others *cough*, JB, yells," sand, what sand, no sand here folks".

What someone from TLC, DHS, the bank and his kids need to tell JB is that he fools no one and quite frankly, that he's full of shit!

I would love to see that. I would probably watch a special showing some of the adult kids moving out, and making their way, opening their minds and realizing that much of what they were taught was at best misguided and in reality malicious misinformation meant to keep them subservient and helpless

Brainwashing doesn't lead to consistent thought. I've found most extremely religious people to be full of inconsistencies of thought and very hypocritical in where they pass judgement.

This is to say I don't think Jessa is putting on an act. I do think JB is to a degree. This extreme system gives him the control he craves ...

I noticed Derick mentioned leaving WalMart = he said (paraphrasing so don't hold me to exact words) "Don't think we can match last year with a new job and a baby".

I think that that's odd because 'supposedly' he wanted to leave Wal-mart for another job, so why would he mention his job at Wal-mart like it was a highlight of last year, compared to this year, when he left on his own accord for 'another' job? There is a lot these people hide. Things they say just don't make sense. :liar:

Archived