IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 12

homeschoolmomma1

Are we joking about the 2/3? I remember that he said it happened to a lot of his friends families and that "much worse" things happened in other families. Regardless, JB has proved he is a fool. If it is so common in his church group, I hope child welfare has started a large scale investigation.

Sadly, cults and sexual abuse go together. It supposedly has to do with the relationship between sex and power. You know the saying: everything is about sex, except for sex, which is about power.

A lot of people have asserted that the Gothardite legalistic focus on purity is leading to sexual abuse among followers, but I don't buy that. All the kids are taught to worship firm models of traditional, monogamous marriage. I grew up in this type of setting (not quiverfull, but Gothardite) and I understood from a young age that sex is for marriage and who it was appropriate to marry and who it was not. There was no room for confusion.

Where I have heard about confusion, however, is in polygamous Mormon families where there are numerous wives and only one husband. Since teen girls are married off to older men who already have a harem of wives, there are few available marriage partners for the teen and young adult men. Plus, they witness their Father spending the night with a different woman every night. That is said to confuse youth , but I don't know.

Ok look I found the entire offending discussion.

I said something about a comment I read on another website. I asked two questions. The first was if the comment was accurately depicting the episode. The second was a rhetorical question about why it took so long for the 'bombshell' to be revealed. Rhetorical questions are not meant to be answered as there is no satisfactory answer. Its more of a statement.

Someone replies to me and mentions something about 2/3 families suffering incest.

I am incredulous and foolishly fail to use the search engine to find out if anything in the reply to me was ever stated before. It turns out that I misunderstood the reply and thus I very annoyingly ask if 2/3 families of incest is a thing and hope someone says no. I also discuss the other things that the person replied to me and expressed my feelings. I have to learn to stop doing that. I realize no one cares.

Then Nic replies and his sentences are kind of choppy (and I am not criticising that in the least) but I am not sure what he meant. I gather that he is saying that 2/3 is something JB said.

I foolishly reply again with out first making sure that I read every possible post on the topic, because it was clarified that I need to do that, and state that I think I get it now and that original replier was making a joke about the 2/3 incest families as something that JB asserted. I clarify what I remembered about what JB said--apparently that is annoying and not necessary and I really should have studied the interview again before typing. I then give my opinion, self-absorbed in my assumption that anyone would care, and then I wrote two paragraphs on the nature of (and misconceptions about) sexual abuse in cults. I contrasted Gothardism and Fundamentalist Mormonism with a hint about that tired old subject about how purity theologies lead to sexual abuse and how I refute that. I very annoyingly didn't search about that first so I may have repeated exactly what someone else said. Oops.

So, I apologize for being sooooooo annoying that 3 people (so far) claim that I am not Freeing Jinger appropriately. Honestly, I hope that my bad etiquette in no way jeopardizes her impending escape to the Big City.

I have to warn everyone that I might inadvertently be annoying in the future. I seem to lack a few social skills and I fully blame that on growing up Gothard. I hope I can get forgiveness for my faults.

However, my best advice to my victims is that, if I am annoying in the future, they should simply scroll past me.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... my best advice to my victims is that, if I am annoying in the future, they should simply scroll past me.

Better suggestion: The board has a "foe" function. :shrug: :shrug:

Archived