IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Courting - Part 2

Coconut Flan

I think the most likely reason for Josh seeming down is a larger self awareness. He would be made aware by how pricey it is to afford a large family, aware of how he's never had a whole lot of say in his dreams, etc. Also, I do think Josh shows a lot of love to his kids and doesn't seem to treat Kenzie just as a future virgin to sell. If he really does feel this way and he came to these realizations he could also be feeling the burden of how to make things better for his family.

Josh leaving would at least temporarily make his family cut him off I'm sure. Also we don't know how it would affect his job. Anna and the kids seem to adore the Duggars, so the risk of losing them, especially if it were to hurt his job would be a huge deal. But then he would have to consider the consequences living the same life style he did would have on his kids.

Someone mentioned that when it comes to your kids you just suck it up and do what is best. What I think the problem is, is if Josh were ever in a situation like that, he wouldn't know what was best. He has had so many terrible fears about the big bad world drilled into his head since he was a little kid, it is hard to shake that.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree about Josh not seeming excited about his new baby, at least in the clip we saw, and even the gender reveal video.

I don't think he necessarily wants to leave the lifestyle though. I think he totally believes that homosexuality is a sin, and women should submit to their headships, and all that nonsense. I think the only changes he would make would be to limit future children, and maybe pursue a career or an education. He could say that God called him to pursue (insert field of choice here), and that would be a perfectly suitable answer. Also, since they leave their family size up to God, they could totally use BC or at least NFP, and no one would know. It would just be "God deciding that their family was good at 4."

So I don't think his changes he would potentially make would be anything so radical that it would cause rifts with his family.

I'll give Josiah a break on the lack of photos. Not long after the courtship announcement they trekked off to Big Sandy. Besides if this is going to be the long courtship, there is more to come.

I think if Josh starts to think that maybe rampant reproduction isn't the way to go, he'll have a hard time reconciling that with his love for his parents. I'm only a little younger than Josh, but I feel like it's only recently that I can at once say that I love my parents and think they did an amazing job AND that I think they were wrong in certain parenting choices.

I have a HUGE advantage over Josh here, too, because my parents encouraged critical thinking. Not only does this mean I'm (probably) capable of more nuance and serious thought in this, but one of the best ways to honour my parents is to make my own choices and think for myself, even where that means disagreeing with them, because that's what they brought me to to do. In contrast, for Josh obeying the fourth commandment means making his life a carbon copy of JB&M's, which IMO will make it harder to even do minor things differently.

None of this changes the fact that he is an adult who has to own the choices he's made, of course, but - and I think this applies to Jill and Jessa, too - it's difficult for him to realise that love is not the same as obedience.

The boys aren't allowed smartphones. He probably has to borrow someone's phone to use Instagram. I wouldn't bother posting if I had to go through that kind of trouble.

That's what I was thinking. Can't use Instagram with your Flip Phone of Shame.

I think if Josh starts to think that maybe rampant reproduction isn't the way to go, he'll have a hard time reconciling that with his love for his parents. I'm only a little younger than Josh, but I feel like it's only recently that I can at once say that I love my parents and think they did an amazing job AND that I think they were wrong in certain parenting choices.

I have a HUGE advantage over Josh here, too, because my parents encouraged critical thinking. Not only does this mean I'm (probably) capable of more nuance and serious thought in this, but one of the best ways to honour my parents is to make my own choices and think for myself, even where that means disagreeing with them, because that's what they brought me to to do. In contrast, for Josh obeying the fourth commandment means making his life a carbon copy of JB&M's, which IMO will make it harder to even do minor things differently.

None of this changes the fact that he is an adult who has to own the choices he's made, of course, but - and I think this applies to Jill and Jessa, too - it's difficult for him to realise that love is not the same as obedience.

His parents nothing, he and Anna were taught that love for your spouse and procreation go hand in hand. If they limit kids, they either have to realize that love is more than procreation, or someone (both of them?) could be left feeling unloved.

His parents nothing, he and Anna were taught that love for your spouse and procreation go hand in hand. If they limit kids, they either have to realize that love is more than procreation, or someone (both of them?) could be left feeling unloved.

And it was his parents that taught him that. He can't question if it's possible to love your wife without impregnating her without also questioning his upbringing.

I really think it was staged and what we were seeing was him fake waking up and fake reacting to the news. I don't think he's especially happy or unhappy about it. This is the expected result of not using birth control.

That said, it would be nice if he took better care of himself. He's a role model (to his kids, I don't mean anyone else), his family needs him, and doesn't he care how he looks on TV?

This was to be my response, also. Totally staged. Josh just isn't a great actor.

I feel that if he didn't want more kids they wouldn't be having more kids. It's all they know so, yeah.

That's what I was thinking. Can't use Instagram with your Flip Phone of Shame.

On the other hand, the Duggar PR machine is in overdrive now. TLC knows they have a brand that needs to be pushed as much as possible. I am surprised that TLC isn't urging him to post some pics from Big Sandy, etc.

This was to be my response, also. Totally staged. Josh just isn't a great actor.

I feel that if he didn't want more kids they wouldn't be having more kids. It's all they know so, yeah.

Agreed. There were already 3 kids leaping on the bed so how could Anna have woken him up? Definitely super staged. And it was on a Jana "cam" (or somebody I forgot who) but the sound was just as good as if they were wearing mics lol

Here's a video of them singing together:

[bBvideo 560,340:s23xfpl9]

[/bBvideo]

Is that what courting looks like? Because it's super boring, imo.

The video just posted on the duggar blog of them singing together really is cute.

Why on earth would she be chewing gum while singing? :roll:

She does seem spunky for a fundie girl, though, so hopefully she'll keep that up.

ETA: Also, her poor sister. AFAIK, the girl's family is usually responsible for providing the chaperone. Marjorie only has the one sister who's old enough to be chaperoning, so I guess she'll be doing a LOT of that in the forseeable future.

On the video of them singing. Keeping in mind how they've been raised, it was probably fun. They expect to have a chaperone, they know worldly music is evil, so within their limits its not too bad. They share a love of playing music and singing--that's good, right?

I'm in a wait and see mood on these two..... Yes, I still wish he'd have left the fold, but if they have things in common there's some hope of real happiness.

[bBvideo 560,340:3rqf6wig]

[/bBvideo]

I know right. It is at least marginally better, than reading bible verses to each other, while casting surreptitious glances at each other, longing for the future handsex.

I know right. It is at least marginally better, than reading bible verses to each other, while casting surreptitious glances at each other, longing for the future handsex.

All that is missing is Almanzo - I mean Josiah driving by in an out of control with Laura, I mean Marjorie jumping aboard.

On the video of them singing. Keeping in mind how they've been raised, it was probably fun. They expect to have a chaperone, they know worldly music is evil, so within their limits its not too bad. They share a love of playing music and singing--that's good, right?

I'm in a wait and see mood on these two..... Yes, I still wish he'd have left the fold, but if they have things in common there's some hope of real happiness.

Pity real life is way more complicated.

At 17 my boyfriend and I were totally into punk rock. We probably weren't as darling as this couple when we sang Submission by the Sex Pistols ("I'm on a submarine mission for you, baby.." but at least I didn't marry the guy.

[bBvideo 560,340:2aamrvqh]

[/bBvideo]

JimBob has to put in his gross two cents, will poor Marjorie be subjected to dry humping?

You know, I think if Jessa had courted someone as sharp as her, but with a non-KJV-only understanding of how to study the bible, I can imagine a courtship where they challenged each other and got to know each other better and fell into intimacy (barf) that way--with her ultimately realizing she's in a cult and then leaving it, of course--and I can respect that, even as a virtual atheist, because there's critical thought and coming to know your special friend on a deeper level, yada yada.

All I see here is good clean fun, which is nice, but I do hope they have opportunities to go deeper.

You know, I think if Jessa had courted someone as sharp as her, but with a non-KJV-only understanding of how to study the bible, I can imagine a courtship where they challenged each other and got to know each other better and fell into intimacy (barf) that way--with her ultimately realizing she's in a cult and then leaving it, of course--and I can respect that, even as a virtual atheist, because there's critical thought and coming to know your special friend on a deeper level, yada yada.

All I see here is good clean fun, which is nice, but I do hope they have opportunities to go deeper.

Pun intended? j/k

Kinda cute video. Somehow get the impression Marjorie won't be a doormat and may figuratively wear the pants :lol:

I assume this is at her house? Just wondering if that was Bubba making an appearance through the window. Miss the little fella.

I really haven't been following much of the Josiah/Marjorie stuff. Am I correct in remembering that she wears pants sometimes? Or did I imagine that?

I really haven't been following much of the Josiah/Marjorie stuff. Am I correct in remembering that she wears pants sometimes? Or did I imagine that?

She certainly used to. The question is will she in the future.

You are. She was seen wearing pants during a promotion for her book, I think the picture is still up on her FB page. And in the first part of the thread.

Pun intended? j/k

I see what I did there! :shifty-kitty:

I'm not a pun oriented person, and I didn't get your comment until I opened the quote box and saw my post with somewhat fresh eyes. Now I'm laughing at my accidental joke! :lol:

Archived