IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Courting - Part 2

Coconut Flan

Some eye candy.

duggar-skirts.jpg

Oh, wow. Strange seeing Susannah before she broke free.

I bet she's happy her frumpy skirts years are over. :dance:

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything the Duchess of Cambridge wears, instantly sells out.. ditto with her son's clothes. Doesn't sound like the same would happen if your wardrobe hit the morning papers.

The duchess wears British fashion and it does promote British clothing worldwide.. have a look here:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/mar/30/kate-duchess-of-cambridge-fashion-lk-bennett

But it's not what normal people wear - it's a particular kind of very upper middle-class fashion which doesn't really trickle down to street style. Your average young British girl is going to be looking at Rita Ora or Kylie Jenner for fashion inspiration, not someone who dresses like their mum.

As an American that's visited the UK numerous times, it seems the general fashion sense is the same.

Wouldn't you admit though, that there is somewhat of a trend when is comes to more formal attire that your "royals" do set the stage so to speak. Unless it's a horrible stereotype, every wedding I see on TV that is in the UK, no matter if they are super poor or very elite, all the women wear hats. Here in the US, very few people wear hats.

Definitely not all women wear hats to weddings - I've never done so and generally the women I know wouldn't, but then my circle is unlikely to have a very formal wedding. It's more of a tradition than a trend, especially for church weddings. I can definitely see that the royals have some influence on formal wear.

But it's not what normal people wear - it's a particular kind of very upper middle-class fashion which doesn't really trickle down to street style. Your average young British girl is going to be looking at Rita Ora or Kylie Jenner for fashion inspiration, not someone who dresses like their mum.

When I was in the UK, the biggest fashion inspiration seemed to be a reality show called The Only Way Is Essex, where the people on the show looked like they shopped a lot at Forever 21 here in the States. In fact, F21 is very close to British high street fashion.

I too am fat, wear maxi skirts and dresses, and rock them. Honestly I don't think I look frumpy at all in them - I look much frumpier in the jeans I would likely wear otherwise. And I'm in the Deep South (heat index of 105 all damn weekend) and maxi skirts are way cooler than a lot of my options. I don't get anyone saying that it's too hot to wear them, because for me it's too hot to wear much else when I go out and shorts aren't an option.

Everything the Duchess of Cambridge wears, instantly sells out.. ditto with her son's clothes. Doesn't sound like the same would happen if your wardrobe hit the morning papers.

The duchess wears British fashion and it does promote British clothing worldwide.. have a look here:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/mar/30/kate-duchess-of-cambridge-fashion-lk-bennett

I admit, I've only seen a few pictures of little George. But from the ones I've seen...his clothes are ridiculous. I have a hard time believing average people are putting their kid in those clothes. I saw one from the baptism (or whatever they call it) and his clothes were bizarre.

I admit, I've only seen a few pictures of little George. But from the ones I've seen...his clothes are ridiculous. I have a hard time believing average people are putting their kid in those clothes. I saw one from the baptism (or whatever they call it) and his clothes were bizarre.

I'm honestly not sure how Prince George's clothes are fashionable either. My dad was dressed like that when he was young in the mid 1940's. I get they are keeping it traditional, but his outfits are out of style!

[

Kate Middleton is NOT a trendsetter, nor is that how British fashion works. I am British, I live in Britain, nobody here outside OK magazine considers her a trendsetter. Nobody looks to the upper classes for fashion trends lol, that is laughable - it makes it sound like Britain is some fashion backwater, but London Fashion Week is up there with Paris and NYC. We have actual trends here, not just frumpy mumsy wrap dresses. If you look at British street style, it's not exactly Kate Middleton esque. Diana wore frumpers when pregnant because EVERYONE did - that's just how maternity wear was then. Also Kate Middleton is middle-class herself - she married into the upper classes but she is not aristocracy, so she is middle-class.

I am fat, I wear maxi dresses, I look awesome. Also maxi dresses are a cool type of clothing, I don't understand the references to it being to hot to wear them. A cotton maxi dress is much cooler than jeans for instance.

I specifically differentiated between what Kate wears and street style. You might notice that even celebrities dress like Kate when they go to the fancy events that she goes to. I also did not describe Britain as a backwater. I also stated that Diana's frumper was in style.

BTW: Where do you think these clothes come from? Kate's dress for the christening was by Alexander McQueen. Pippa's dress was by Emilia Wickstead. The same people that design clothes for the Queen do quite well dressing people that will pay big money to get her look: //couture.stewartparvin.com/

I am not sure what you are arguing.

Youth street fashion is very different than what upper middle class mums wear to the office, garden parties and church.

Average people are not dressing their kids like that. I doubt little George wears such formal clothes when hanging around the playroom. However, the British like their dress codes. the middle and upper classes are not "average" people. The working classes are "average" people. Most people throughout the world are working class.

I specifically differentiated between what Kate wears and street style. You might notice that even celebrities dress like Kate when they go to the fancy events that she goes to. I also did not describe Britain as a backwater. I also stated that Diana's frumper was in style.

BTW: Where do you think these clothes come from? Kate's dress for the christening was by Alexander McQueen. Pippa's dress was by Emilia Wickstead. The same people that design clothes for the Queen do quite well dressing people that will pay big money to get her look: //couture.stewartparvin.com/

I am not sure what you are arguing.

re: the bolded - that's because that's what one wears for a 'fancy event' here, not because Kate Middleton is setting trends. People wore those kind of clothes to those kind of events way before she showed up. People have worn hats and fascinators to weddings way before she showed up. Kate is as much a follower as she is a trendsetter. Perhaps it is Alexander McQueen et al who are the trendsetters?

re: the bolded - that's because that's what one wears for a 'fancy event' here, not because Kate Middleton is setting trends. People wore those kind of clothes to those kind of events way before she showed up. People have worn hats and fascinators to weddings way before she showed up. Kate is as much a follower as she is a trendsetter. Perhaps it is Alexander McQueen et al who are the trendsetters?

Sure-it is the designers who create the dresses. However, the famous person who wears the clothes have chosen particular designers over others. When Kate picks a certain dress it is a windfall for the designer, especially if they are not yet known.

Same with the hats. It is proper etiquette to wear a hat in the Church of England. Any hat will do as long as it is a hat. Where Kate gets her hats influences where other people get their hats. It is not that she is wearing a hat--it is the type of hat, the style or shape of the hat that matters.

Remember that peplum trend that lasted about a year? They were big in the 50s and the 80s . Kate emerged in a dress with a peplum and suddenly they were everywhere. That is trendsetting.

Monarchy has been trendsetting since they became a thing. We all wear white wedding gowns because Queen Victoria did it first. What a trendsetter!

It is the same with celebrities. Kim Kardashian started wearing that stomach shaping corset and suddenly it is everywhere. The Daily Mail makes big money off of their ads that show where you can buy THE outfit or a similar outfit as the celebrity in the picture they are showing.

People want to look like celebrities.

People want to look like celebrities.

And the same goes for their hairstyles. If Kate suddenly got her hair cut in some sort of pixie-do and rocked it, half the globe would be sporting some version of the haircut within a few months.

As a non-Brit and someone who doesn't follow fashion trends all that closely, I've always felt a tiny bit sorry for Kate (not much, because rich royal and all, but still) when it comes to fashion. Because while she certainly looks good, her clothes are still very boring, and I assume that's not by choice. Like, I'd look to her for fashion inspiration only if I were ever involved in some rich super conservative event, definitely not otherwise. And I don't know anyone who looks to her as a trend setter...it's always, "yeah, if you have no other choice but to wear conservative clothes because of the family you married into, that's the way to do it."

Average people are not dressing their kids like that. I doubt little George wears such formal clothes when hanging around the playroom. However, the British like their dress codes. the middle and upper classes are not "average" people. The working classes are "average" people. Most people throughout the world are working class.

If you look at the paparazzi shots of him out with his nanny or the ones a few weeks ago of him having a day out with Kate's mother and such, he is not dressed the same as he has been dressed for public and highly traditional events. There is definitely a huge difference there. I saw an intriguing article yesterday that suggested that this is by design partly because it makes it easier for him to go unrecognized when playing in the park--the public image of him is in the fussy traditional clothing so bystanders are less likely to notice the little blonde boy in normal clothes on the slide. The writer pointed out that Harry and William stroll the streets in jeans and baseball caps and are often unnoticed as a result. People are used to seeing them in suits and uniforms and don't quite recognize them in normal clothes and settings.

I am glad I've never cared much for what is in fashion or out of fashion. I'm sure those who do care would gasp in horror at my "uniform" of jeans and t-shirts. Thankfully I just don't care. The main thing to me is comfort. Though not so much that I'll go out and about in pajama pants or anything. I could just never follow many of the trends because I just wouldn't be comfortable.

I am glad I've never cared much for what is in fashion or out of fashion. I'm sure those who do care would gasp in horror at my "uniform" of jeans and t-shirts. Thankfully I just don't care. The main thing to me is comfort. Though not so much that I'll go out and about in pajama pants or anything. I could just never follow many of the trends because I just wouldn't be comfortable.

This is a sincere question, not an insult or judgement. Totally sincere, because I have never understood the logic of this particular position about clothing.

How is, say, a pair of linen pants and a tank top so much less comfortable than jeans and a t-shirt? To me, it is exactly the same, provided the fit is good. And, in scorching heat like we have here at the moment, the linen pants and tank is exceedingly more comfortable than denim and sleeves of any kind.

Archived