IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Snark for Season 10

MatthewDuggar

My brother and I are the entire family. We see each other....almost never. Just very different people.

I think folks interested in huge families should read Fourteen: Growing Up Alone in a Crowd by Stephen Zanichkowsky . A 50s/60s Catholic family--the original Quiverfull religion--and how awful it was. Hunger was a big problem. I look at Josh and Zack Bates and think "they never had enough to eat"

Another good read--though I had to buy it from Vision Forum [probably online used now] is 10 Ps in a Pod by Arnold Pent--touted as the "original homeschool family". Some wackadoodledoo stuff in there to be sure.

But on the Duggar kids? I do think some will stay close, but I agree that they won't all. Obviously what Josh really knows about Josie is next to nothing. And as has been pointed out the relationships between the siblings in this family are not typical. But I think some will stay friends--maybe more like Mother/Child but also just siblings. I grew up close with a big family (1/2 size of the Duggars) and #2 and the baby are very close still. It happens.

On James and school--yes, James was the one shown trying to avoid school years back.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jennifer in her TH when they asked about going to Jill's. Hands down the most animated I have seen her, ever. It was both sad and awesome to see.

I wonder who they've got reading all the forums because just about everything we snarked about got somewhat answered in the first 15 minutes.

Edited to add....why is Jessa carrying on about doing it cheaply when we know JB has said weddings can run from 10-20 grand. That's pretty much an average persons budget. 20 being on the higher side too.

Jennifer in her TH when they asked about going to Jill's. Hands down the most animated I have seen her, ever. It was both sad and awesome to see.

I wonder who they've got reading all the forums because just about everything we snarked about got somewhat answered in the first 15 minutes.

Edited to add....why is Jessa carrying on about doing it cheaply when we know JB has said weddings can run from 10-20 grand. That's pretty much an average persons budget. 20 being on the higher side too.

A lot depends on the area the wedding is held, how many guests you invite, the day and time of the wedding, etc.

For instance, I live in the New York area. Many people here have more formal nighttime weddings - often on Saturdays. Those can easily run at least $18,000 to host. My Headship and I have managed to cut costs slighty by planning an off-season wedding (early November) and trying to cut back in certain areas (I spent half of what the budgeted suggested on my gown for instance). We're really hoping to stay under $20,000, but it's tough.

Also keep in mind that they have an average budget for a very above average number of guests - so 10,000-20,000 for a thousand guests actually is cheap.

Re: the bolded. This is exactly where I was coming from when I commented that Jessa was rude (in my opinion). When my daughter chose her bridesmaids' dresses she took two of the bridesmaids with her. The others were out of state but they texted photos throughout the appointment and got input from everybody. It actually got a little comical as the bride would say "whatever you all like," and the bridesmaids would say "No, it's whatever YOU like," back and forth, back and forth. It was nice, though, to see all parties be considerate of each other.

The scene just struck a chord with me since we'd just gone through that whole thing. If my daughter had spoken to her friends the way Jessa spoke to her sisters, we'd have had a private little chat about the evils of bridezilla.

I think if you don't have to pay for the dress that makes a big difference. I mean if I've only been in two weddings one I liked the dress although I wasn't the biggest fan of the color and one I hated it. The dress I hated was way more expensive too. It was very frustrating to pay so much money for something that looked so horrible on me. However if you don't have to pay for it then I don't see why you should expect a say in how it looks. When you agree to be in a wedding you should figure it means wearing a dress that might not be something you'd pick yourself. Sometimes it also involves spending $250+ on a dress you hate.

Why wouldnt you seek the advice of your sister, the SEAMSTRESS, that you brag so much about? Considering she is going to have to alter them, wouldnt it make sense to consult her about fabric type and styles that can be altered?

Eh I think it really depends. My grandmother came from a family of 11,and she's still very close to her sisters. Some more than others,but she still talks to them often. I grew up knowing my great-aunts and uncles,though we're all spread around the same general part of the state. I don't see some of my cousins too often,but we can still get together and not feel forced compared to when I get together with my mom's smaller side of the family. I think the size will add on to the estrangement,but the dysfunction will be the main cause. I see some of the older girls being close,but not as much the younger children. However,I do see the Bates kids staying pretty close!

I think you were pretty lucky. I was down for the count for a good three days afterwards and still in a lot of pain and a drug haze for a while after that. My cheeks were also incredibly bruised and swollen- I think my boss would have sent me home if she saw me the next day!

Yeah, when I got my wisdom teeth removed, I was a mess. The medicine they had me on made me practically a narcoleptic. I basically laid on the couch for a couple of days, eating, sleeping, and watching lots of tv.

Why wouldnt you seek the advice of your sister, the SEAMSTRESS, that you brag so much about? Considering she is going to have to alter them, wouldnt it make sense to consult her about fabric type and styles that can be altered?

I'm a seamstress, and it looks like those dresses have a raw knit hem, which can simply be chopped off if it's too long. Actually a pretty good style for length alterations. The ruching, though, I don't think there's any help for.

Throw the Bibles on the floor! Jill's pregnant! :lol:

Ah! I know I'm behind but this made me laugh so hard. That was the first thing i noticed: Joy chucking her Bible on the table :dance:

Babies (only pure ones out of marriage of course) > "Baible time"

Yikes at Michelle's crazy eyes when she was telling Gwen she could be a grandma in a year. She didn't blink once! That woman is crazed when it comes to babies

ETA: :roll: at her name being spelled "Guinn"

This scene killed me! Good god, all Mullet cares about is raising women to become breeding machines.. it was actually a bit disturbing. I'm somewhat relieved to see Guinn's reaction (despite that I totally doubt it'll transfer over to Bin. That kid is hopeless)

Ok, OT, I have to say one of the things I love about FJ is how OT we go, but still know what everyone else is saying.

This page alone followed weddings and all side topics of weddings. This page alone also covered removal of wisdom teeth, crazy Mullet eyes, James and his work book, bible tossing and excitement of visiting an older sister's home. This one page covers if families large or small can remain close over the years.

It's wonderful. It reminds me of when I get together with my family even though we are all spread across the country. It reminds me of following seven conversations at the same time and know what everyone is saying. I'm feeling warm and fuzzy right now.

Yeah, when I got my wisdom teeth removed, I was a mess. The medicine they had me on made me practically a narcoleptic. I basically laid on the couch for a couple of days, eating, sleeping, and watching lots of tv.

Well, the problem with wisdom teeth is that they are so differently developed in every person. Some people can have none or just one or two developed at all. Then there are people who have wisdom teeth but tese have almost no roots and are fairly easy to remove and with next to no pain.

Then there are the hardcore cases where the wisdom teeth have huge roots which can even grow into the sinuses and to remove these is way harder and more painful and can easily resolve in infections.

It's just very different from person to person how hard a case can be.

I just assumed it was short for Guinnevere. But it seems that it may be her whole first name. Just Guinn. I like it, but I much prefer Guinnevere. Probably because I've always loved Crosby Stills & Nash (& Young).

Here in the south, people were big on giving children nicknames-as-names for quite a while. My MIL's given name is Peggy...not short for Margaret or anything, just Peggy.

Ok, OT, I have to say one of the things I love about FJ is how OT we go, but still know what everyone else is saying.

This page alone followed weddings and all side topics of weddings. This page alone also covered removal of wisdom teeth, crazy Mullet eyes, James and his work book, bible tossing and excitement of visiting an older sister's home. This one page covers if families large or small can remain close over the years.

It's wonderful. It reminds me of when I get together with my family even though we are all spread across the country. It reminds me of following seven conversations at the same time and know what everyone is saying. I'm feeling warm and fuzzy right now.

I love it too. I think FJ is very conversational in that the threads just flow wherever our thoughts might lead. One of the Ken Alexander threads (I think) took a Tuna Casserole turn for a while and it was wonderful. We can get off on a completely different topic - related to the title or not - and it's great. Sometimes someone might come in and say..."So about those bridesmaids' dresses," and we're like "oh yeah..." It does feel like being amongst a large family with everyone talking at once. It's great.

I've always thought Lori's blog would have a much friendlier feel if she allowed a little more of this conversational flow. She is so quick to smack hands if you get off topic, it makes her blog feel like a very strict classroom. Even when someone takes a sentence out of her post and comments on it, if it's not what Lori wants to talk about, she says "That's not what this post is about....detractor!"

^^See? Completely off topic with the Lori thing, but I bet I don't even get in trouble.

I just assumed it was short for Guinnevere. But it seems that it may be her whole first name. Just Guinn. I like it, but I much prefer Guinnevere. Probably because I've always loved Crosby Stills & Nash (& Young).

Here in the south, people were big on giving children nicknames-as-names for quite a while. My MIL's given name is Peggy...not short for Margaret or anything, just Peggy.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Guinnevere is indeed her full name. Google does give me a Guinnevere Seewald in Hot Springs, AR, so I'm assuming it's safe to say that is indeed her. Might be she just really doesn't like her full name and thus prefers to go by Guinn.

I wonder where this show is heading down the line. Assuming it stays on for several more years, which I think it will, are we going to have to go through all the dental visits, field trips, family side hugs, etc. with the rest of the kids or will it veer more in the direction of following the married Duggars and their families? Josh and Anna have been a part of the show but not overwhelmingly present. Maybe they will let the ratings be their guide as they are seemingly quite media savvy. Before the marriages of Jill and Jessa their ratings were reaching a low point for them. They seem to have struck ratings gold with Jill. Does Michelle even have a relevant role on the show?

I love it too. I think FJ is very conversational in that the threads just flow wherever our thoughts might lead. One of the Ken Alexander threads (I think) took a Tuna Casserole turn for a while and it was wonderful. We can get off on a completely different topic - related to the title or not - and it's great. Sometimes someone might come in and say..."So about those bridesmaids' dresses," and we're like "oh yeah..." It does feel like being amongst a large family with everyone talking at once. It's great.

I've always thought Lori's blog would have a much friendlier feel if she allowed a little more of this conversational flow. She is so quick to smack hands if you get off topic, it makes her blog feel like a very strict classroom. Even when someone takes a sentence out of her post and comments on it, if it's not what Lori wants to talk about, she says "That's not what this post is about....detractor!"

^^See? Completely off topic with the Lori thing, but I bet I don't even get in trouble.

And don't forget TWoP! God help you if you weren't 100% talking about something specific from a recent episode. And if a mod thought enough comments had been made about something on-topic you'd get in trouble if you brought it up again. And I'm committing a "boards on boards" offense for even discussing it! Yeesh, that place was nuts. I can't believe I miss it.

I wonder where this show is heading down the line. Assuming it stays on for several more years, which I think it will, are we going to have to go through all the dental visits, field trips, family side hugs, etc. with the rest of the kids or will it veer more in the direction of following the married Duggars and their families? Josh and Anna have been a part of the show but not overwhelmingly present. Maybe they will let the ratings be their guide as they are seemingly quite media savvy. Before the marriages of Jill and Jessa their ratings were reaching a low point for them. They seem to have struck ratings gold with Jill. Does Michelle even have a relevant role on the show?

I think the various courtships will keep it going way better than more stupid so-called field trips. They've been around the freakin world for goodness sake! I think they are going to have to get to a place where they let someone GO just to prove they mean it. Someone will have to be allowed to CHOOSE for real. Doing the three bears college choice with Joseph and him just happening to choose the only college they'd allow is not real choice. I also think they will have to give in and allow a couple to say: NO, not for us, we love God but we're limiting our family. Otherwise .... look foward to Hannie's wisdom teeth and Jackson still talking like a toddler at 20.

And don't forget TWoP! God help you if you weren't 100% talking about something specific from a recent episode. And if a mod thought enough comments had been made about something on-topic you'd get in trouble if you brought it up again. And I'm committing a "boards on boards" offense for even discussing it! Yeesh, that place was nuts. I can't believe I miss it.

Somewhere, someday out in internet-land I am going to make a username called 'TWOP Howard" and go around being an all-around asshole just for my own amusement. :)

I never registered at that site, and rarely read, simply because I knew I'd last exactly 6 hours before I'd snap and tell off TWOP Howard and get myself banned.

Michelle made herself redundant the day she roped Jana and Jill into sister-mom duties, which I guess would be about seventeen years ago. The only role she plays in the TV show is as the person who "gave birth to each and every one of [the kids]," but someone who does that doesn't need to be on the actual show every week. I guess one could say that Michelle has to be there, because it would look weird if she wasn't, since she has a bunch of teens, tweens, and little girls that she's theoretically supposed to be caring for.

Somewhere, someday out in internet-land I am going to make a username called 'TWOP Howard" and go around being an all-around asshole just for my own amusement. :)

I never registered at that site, and rarely read, simply because I knew I'd last exactly 6 hours before I'd snap and tell off TWOP Howard and get myself banned.

Ditto!

Ditto!

:lol: You must tell me where you plan to wreak your Howard havoc! I'll be there with popcorn in hand. Maybe I'll join you as Strega, who I loathed every bit as much.

Getting banned and returning with new user IDs was a badge of honor, btw. That was a huge part of the fun!

Oh I miss TWOP so much-- there has been nothing to replace it, not even close. Right now I am watching The Great British Sewing Bee and I would love to discuss it. But, yeah, Howard was such an asshole.

Anyway, back to weddings. NOBODY (aside from Royalty) has to spend $20,000 on a wedding, I don't care where you live. The venue, the flowers,the dress, the food, the photographers can all be done for less, you just have to decide that you are not a princess and your groom is not a prince and your nuptials are not going to be the event of the century. This is one of these things that really gets to me because I have been to several weddings where $20,000 was spent and the weddings themselves didn't last for more than 2 years. What a waste.

It is possible to have a lovely and tasteful wedding if you choose one or two professional options such as flowers and photographs and then have everything else be done by friends, family, and other non-professionals. Also hiring a wedding planner is a waste of money unless you are a very busy professional and your family members are all too busy to help.

The idea that Jessa's wedding needed to cost $20,000 is absolutely ridiculous. They had no cake. They used the church parking lot as their reception venue. They had the TLC to photograph and film it. They had volunteers to serve. And I'm sure the dress was comped. So if that wedding cost more than 3 or 4 thousand I would be shocked.

Michelle made herself redundant the day she roped Jana and Jill into sister-mom duties, which I guess would be about seventeen years ago. The only role she plays in the TV show is as the person who "gave birth to each and every one of [the kids]," but someone who does that doesn't need to be on the actual show every week. I guess one could say that Michelle has to be there, because it would look weird if she wasn't, since she has a bunch of teens, tweens, and little girls that she's theoretically supposed to be caring for.

I remember reading (sometime back) about a family that is about the same size as the duggars. The mother tossed a few out of her vagina and then they proceeded to adopt kids with disabilities. Interesting haven't hocked their family out for the almighty buck under the guise of God. Oh yeah and the Dad works a real job. Oh my stars! :lol: The Duggars could easily be replaced with this family. I really think at this point they are like a circus side show that many people are hate watching.

I saw a few minutes of the show this week by circumstance. It turned my stomach. They're so fucking fake and ugly. I'm very sad - and terrified - that there are people in the world who watch this shit and 'love' it.

Archived