IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Snark for Season 10

MatthewDuggar

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weddings don't have to be expensive. You could just get married at the court house.

That's true. Courthouse weddings are always a great option (and can be really nice; love the idea of heading to a restaurant after for good food). It doesn't always work though - for me personally, my family wouldn't be able to take time off during the week to be there (dad especially - my parents barely make ends meet and he doesn't get paid time off). I would have been ok doing that - sad but I would have been ok - but I know how much it would mean to my family to be there. And it means a lot to us as well to be honest. So we went with the option we felt would work best; unfortunately it means shelling out money.

wedding are crazy expensive. We paid $8000-9000 AND....

we didn't have a professional photos or videos... had a friend cater... another friend sewed the bridesmaid/flower girl dresses.. my Mum's cousin is a florist and she did the flowers... 15 yrs ago my sister paid for a professional video and photos.. and that cost $3000 back then... now a days it costs a lot more. We bought sheet cakes and had a friend decorate it and turn it into a wedding cake... and yet we paid so much! Weddings are horrifically expensive.

I know. It's absolutely ridiculous. I've done tons of research trying to find the best options - no matter what I do the prices are high. We aren't doing a limo, we aren't doing a videographer, I'm trying to make centerpieces, keeping everything as simple as possible, and we won't be going on a Honeymoon immediately (various reasons, but it will give us time to save a bit as well) - it's still costing a lot. I'm not enjoying the planning process that much - I just want to skip to the "I dos" and just enjoy being married.

My wedding was 60 bucks. 30 for the license and 30 for the JOP. He wore a suit he already had and I wore a dress I already had. My son and daughter in law just got married and their wedding was 120 bucks. They had a lovely wedding ceremony at a park near here at the lake. They got married Valentine's day and she was given a bouquet of roses for them being like the 1000th couple to get a license that day (I live in Las Vegas, you can't swing a cat on the strip and not hit a wedding chapel).

Later this year, my husband and I are planning to renew our vows (its a long story). As of right now, we're still exploring costs. I don't know if our minister is going to approve of the songs I want played. Neither one is a wedding song really...This one will be played at the beginning youtube.com/watch?v=P0x4wLy8OxU and this one will be the recessional youtube.com/watch?v=SbH_sDyWZqo

We'll see how it all works out....

I know. It's absolutely ridiculous. I've done tons of research trying to find the best options - no matter what I do the prices are high. We aren't doing a limo, we aren't doing a videographer, I'm trying to make centerpieces, keeping everything as simple as possible, and we won't be going on a Honeymoon immediately (various reasons, but it will give us time to save a bit as well) - it's still costing a lot. I'm not enjoying the planning process that much - I just want to skip to the "I dos" and just enjoy being married.

I hope the pressure lets up by the time of the wedding and you can enjoy your family and friends. Just planning a small party can drive me crazy but it's so much fun when it finally happens, and the guests remember it for a long time.

My sister is quite wealthy. From what I can gather they are spending 75k to 100k on her daughters wedding.

They can easily afford it but it bothers me because it seems so wasteful. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you have to go nuts.

My sister is quite wealthy. From what I can gather they are spending 75k to 100k on her daughters wedding.

They can easily afford it but it bothers me because it seems so wasteful. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you have to go nuts.

That is a lot of money. What's wasteful to you may not be wasteful to them though.

I hope the pressure lets up by the time of the wedding and you can enjoy your family and friends. Just planning a small party can drive me crazy but it's so much fun when it finally happens, and the guests remember it for a long time.

Thanks! I keep trying to tell myself it'll all be worth it eventually. I've never planned any sort of party before so this is all very new to me. I really just wanted to have a small family bbq or something to celebrate, but for various reasons that isn't happening.

Good Lord, the things people will judge other people for regarding weddings is ridiculous. :wtf: :angry-banghead:

If people don't do " enough" they are judged. If they do " too much" they are judged. Most people are going to do what makes them and their spouse happy. Often that will involve throwing a similar sort of wedding as their friends and family. Sometimes it will be completely different. Some families will throw the wedding for the couple, some don't. A few have the option of spending the money on something substantial like a house. Some traditions or wedding styles are odd to other people from different backgrounds. So what?

Why on earth would anyone think less of people for throwing a huge party, or going to a JOP or having cake and punch or a catered meal and a full bar???

Would I spend $20,000 on my kids wedding? No, because I don't HAVE $20,000. But if I did, and had an equiveliant amount for their siblings -- sure! If I had that much and they Chose to use it towards a down payment - great. For the daughters who've gotten married we've had around $5 thousand for each. If I could only scrape up $ 50 for each of them, that's what they'd get. If I was rolling in money and could afford $50,000 I'd do it.

Weddings are ridiculous. What pisses me off most about weddings is that as soon as a vendor hears the word "wedding" the price skyrockets. Can you buy a sheet cake that feeds 30-40 people for about $50-60? Yes. Will it be just as good as the wedding cake that feeds 30-40 people and costs $300? Yup, bc chances are it's the exact same cake recipe with the exact same frosting. It's just decorated differently and layered instead of being one large flat cake. That's what really annoys me about weddings more than anything. I was involved in my friend's wedding planning and she noticed this immediately. She eventually chose her reception place to be at a restaurant's party room for her "family reunion", which was completely true. They had a family reunion immediately after their wedding. It cost the same as if they had gone to the restaurant for any ole dinner, $55 a person. (It was one of those places you pay by person and then eat how ever much of whatever you want.) Much more cost effective - and satisfying - than my cousin's reception which cost $250/head just for the catering. I think some people just like to say they spent more than they had to bc it's all about appearances. My cousin is definitely all about appearances, to the point where I can't stand her anymore and don't even have a relationship with her anymore. Whereas my friend was never bothered about that crap.

If you have the money to spend on a wedding, that's great. But just bc you have $100k to spend on a wedding, doesn't mean you have to, or that you should.

Yep.

I have been to 4 weddings that neared the $200,000 range. World renowned venues... Not wealthy families, just something the parents and brides insisted upon. These are family members. My husband and I were literally sickened. We have another one this Summer...of all these couples, 1 couple has a home, although several will eventually do well. One girl is in medical residency, a couple of others have graduate degrees and good jobs. IMO, the money could have been much better spent, but who am I.

I find the wedding industrial complex appalling. I was lucky enough to get married by a federal judge. Unlike local judges/justices of the peace, federal judges can marry anywhere in their circuit, at anytime. So it doesn't have to be on a weekday, in a courthouse. I think some state judges have the same freedom, but it would depend on the state. So we were able to have a weekend wedding, in a nice restaurant, with a nice sitdown dinner, but not need to decorate 2 venues (church + reception location), no need for limos, much less logistical hassles.

But most people don't personally know a federal judge or state supreme court justice, so this isn't an option.

I find the wedding industrial complex appalling. I was lucky enough to get married by a federal judge. Unlike local judges/justices of the peace, federal judges can marry anywhere in their circuit, at anytime. So it doesn't have to be on a weekday, in a courthouse. I think some state judges have the same freedom, but it would depend on the state. So we were able to have a weekend wedding, in a nice restaurant, with a nice sitdown dinner, but not need to decorate 2 venues (church + reception location), no need for limos, much less logistical hassles.

But most people don't personally know a federal judge or state supreme court justice, so this isn't an option.

But just about anyone can become a pastor of some sort with the ability to marry people, by going online and either paying a fee or even getting it done for free. It's not terribly difficult. And some states even have quaker laws, where all you need is two witnesses and the couple can marry themselves. It is possible to get around paying those fees. You just need to know where to look. I'm all for getting married outside in a nice area where we can have a bonfire and a cookout afterward. Light on the decorations and no need to transport between locations.

But just about anyone can become a pastor of some sort with the ability to marry people, by going online and either paying a fee or even getting it done for free. It's not terribly difficult. And some states even have quaker laws, where all you need is two witnesses and the couple can marry themselves. It is possible to get around paying those fees. You just need to know where to look. I'm all for getting married outside in a nice area where we can have a bonfire and a cookout afterward. Light on the decorations and no need to transport between locations.

Bonfire sounds amazing right now (partly because it's snowing again). Add in some s'mores and that would be the greatest reception!

I had a pretty cool second wedding. I don't think it went over $2000. But still fun. I did go to the greatest wedding at the Bronx Zoo. Cocktail hour was in the reptile house! Wondering if family was trying to save there, considering some people would not enjoy eating there. Dinner was in the Flamingo Court. It was all so beautiful. I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but the bride worked there and I believe got a discount and it was off season and I believe on a Friday and it was for family and close friends.

Bonfire does sound good, snowing here also. Maybe we can send to Michelle so she can dump it on Jim Bob rather than a bucket of ice water.

My only real gripe about weddings, outside of obvious attempts at grifting (The buck in a truck after many thousands of dollars you received in freebies from family and fans at the wedding? Really, Jill?), is not feeding people. I honestly think if people are going to travel a long way to attend a wedding, then the hosts should provide some kind of food, even if it is just fried spam finger sandwiches. If I ever went through the hoopla of planning a wedding, I would make sure my guests got a good meal if nothing else.

But that having been said, it's ultimately the choice of everyone who plans their special day as to how they want events to play out, food or no food. If I was invited, I would show up with a smile on my face and a gift, thank the couple and family for inviting me, and hit the local Sonic or Dairy Queen on the way out of town if I didn't get fed. :lol:

I don't care how much people pay for a wedding. My sisters wedding was 70k. My own wedding was less than $100. I got married at he court house because I hate weddings and I didn't want to plan one . No regrets. We did have a fabulous vacation.

I'm one of the people who hates the "wedding tax" so everywhere I shopped for the offsprings weddings I first priced the items without revealing the event. In almost every instance they were willing to do the same service or provide the same items for the same price for a wedding. The few who wouldn't, I just found another vendor who wasn't price gouging.

Bonfire sounds amazing right now (partly because it's snowing again). Add in some s'mores and that would be the greatest reception!

Ugh. It's snowing here, too. I'm so sick of the snow. I'm ready for spring.

I did actually intend to have a s'more bar along with making fire cooked pizzas! I have my whole wedding planned out despite the fact that I'm not even dating anyone :D

I agree about the grifting, though. Obviously not everyone does this, but I agree that the "buck in the truck (so we can go fuck)" was incredibly tacky. I hate having parties that "require" gifts and that's part of my issue with weddings in general. I feel like if I have a big to-do wedding, then I'm expected to expect gifts from people. And that's not what it should be about. I even write little notes about gifts not be necessary on my children's birthday invitations. Maybe part of that weird feeling is bc I'm sick and tired of giving wedding gifts and baby gifts and birthday gifts without even getting a "hey we got your gift" text message, let alone a thank you letter. I have given some amazing handmade gifts that I've spent weeks - sometimes months - and hundreds on dollars to make sure it's perfect and they can't even be bothered to tell me they got it (which I know they did through various other means). I hate it. But I also admit I'm just jaded :?

OK there is a planned announcement by the Duggars this Tuesday. What do you think it will be?

Either the M4 gender reveal or Jessa's knocked up.

OK there is a planned announcement by the Duggars this Tuesday. What do you think it will be?

Oh, God, no.

The sex of Anna and Josh's new baby is expected, and Jessa's impending pregnancy is also a given. But I will completely lose my mind if Jim bob and Michelle announce they are expecting J#20. :?

The sex of Anna and Josh's new baby is expected, and Jessa's impending pregnancy is also a given. But I will completely lose my mind if Jim bob and Michelle announce they are expecting J#20. :?

J'chelle being pregnant would definitely be one of the few things that would completely break the internet.

I want to say it's not the sex of m4 nor the BJ pregnancy bc that's boring and an obvious at this point. But since their "big" news two weeks ago was Jill's pregnancy, it probably is something stupid like that. And given the alternatives, I hope it is.

Archived