IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting - Duggar Snark for Season 10

MatthewDuggar

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else notice that when Jessa was trying on wedding dresses, Guinn commented on the ultimate dress choice as having "clean lines" while J'chelle just smiled and nodded cluelessly?

Michelle is so socially awkward. All she knows how to do is talk about babies, babies, BABIES in her preschool teacher whisper-talk. Ask her to comment on anything thats not BABIES or MODESTY or some shit, and she looks visibly awkward and out of her comfort zone.

I thought the girls were being big fat babies about the dresses. They look just fine and they were being rude to Jessa. I've been in several weddings and wasn't asked for input for most of them. In one we got to pick different styles in the same color, but I mostly hated the others. But I have manners and would have never spoken that way to the bride.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Every wedding around here that I've known about for decades, the bridesmaids get at least some input into the dress--at least to choose or vote among themselves among X number the bride has chosen. And they got to, if they got to go to the store and have them tailored. Not that everyone doesn't have a closet full of stuff they never have actually worn again :)

But Jessa was a bitch about this. Her only qualifications were that it be coral and it be cheap (even grandma politely suggested that $100 isn't out of line for a nice dress, but Jessa said she wanted cheap and J'Chelle applauded her for wanting cheap).

So basically Jana, who had to "alter" (lots more than a standard alteration) all the dresses for the other mega-wedding, plus have to make even the ties for the guys, gets told to put on a cheap coral dress that was ordered online by someone who came right out and said she didn't care how the other women felt, and then asked to be "sweet" while she paraded herself in the cheap coral shit on national TV. I'm kind of proud of her for saying something that wasn't "sweet." Although I suspect another trip to Journeys ... Heart may be in her future.

Also, who decides on no jackets for men for what is supposed to be a big formal wedding? Women have to put up or shut up but don't make men wear a jacket?

Maybe it's a regional thing. Every wedding around here that I've known about for decades, the bridesmaids get at least some input into the dress--at least to choose or vote among themselves among X number the bride has chosen. And they got to, if they got to go to the store and have them tailored. Not that everyone doesn't have a closet full of stuff they never have actually worn again :)

But Jessa was a bitch about this. Her only qualifications were that it be coral and it be cheap (even grandma politely suggested that $100 isn't out of line for a nice dress, but Jessa said she wanted cheap and J'Chelle applauded her for wanting cheap).

So basically Jana, who had to "alter" (lots more than a standard alteration) all the dresses for the other mega-wedding, plus have to make even the ties for the guys, gets told to put on a cheap coral dress that was ordered online by someone who came right out and said she didn't care how the other women felt, and then asked to be "sweet" while she paraded herself in the cheap coral shit on national TV. I'm kind of proud of her for saying something that wasn't "sweet." Although I suspect another trip to Journeys ... Heart may be in her future.

Also, who decides on no jackets for men for what is supposed to be a big formal wedding? Women have to put up or shut up but don't make men wear a jacket?

Re: the bolded. This is exactly where I was coming from when I commented that Jessa was rude (in my opinion). When my daughter chose her bridesmaids' dresses she took two of the bridesmaids with her. The others were out of state but they texted photos throughout the appointment and got input from everybody. It actually got a little comical as the bride would say "whatever you all like," and the bridesmaids would say "No, it's whatever YOU like," back and forth, back and forth. It was nice, though, to see all parties be considerate of each other.

The scene just struck a chord with me since we'd just gone through that whole thing. If my daughter had spoken to her friends the way Jessa spoke to her sisters, we'd have had a private little chat about the evils of bridezilla.

Re: the bolded. This is exactly where I was coming from when I commented that Jessa was rude (in my opinion). When my daughter chose her bridesmaids' dresses she took two of the bridesmaids with her. The others were out of state but they texted photos throughout the appointment and got input from everybody. It actually got a little comical as the bride would say "whatever you all like," and the bridesmaids would say "No, it's whatever YOU like," back and forth, back and forth. It was nice, though, to see all parties be considerate of each other.

The scene just struck a chord with me since we'd just gone through that whole thing. If my daughter had spoken to her friends the way Jessa spoke to her sisters, we'd have had a private little chat about the evils of bridezilla.

I'm from Missouri and have friends from SW MO, very close to NW Arkansas, and none of them would ever act picky about a dress even if they had to pay for it(Jessa's bridesmaids didn't) so I can't imagine it being regional but rather just sisterly behavior.

A friend of mine is getting married outdoors this summer and she showed the bridesmaids the dresses she liked and we all told her our preferences. She picked a dark red floor length dress. I actually think her choice is pretty terrible for the season and venue, but I won't say anything because its not my day.

I thought the girls were being big fat babies about the dresses. They look just fine and they were being rude to Jessa. I've been in several weddings and wasn't asked for input for most of them. In one we got to pick different styles in the same color, but I mostly hated the others. But I have manners and would have never spoken that way to the bride.

You know, I had totally different take on that. Personally I felt that scene was one of the more spontaneous scenes we have had in a long time from them. It was nice to see the banter between the girls. I saw Jessa more as gently teasing when she kept telling Jana to Come on Out.

And I thought the dresses looked fine on Jana and Jinger. I don't care for the ruffle off center in front, but otherwise they were ok.

I would much rather see scenes like this one where we see some spark of life with these girls than the robotic stuff we typically see.

And, I have to say it again. TLC is trying to rehabilitate Michele to the audience who have all noticed she barely parents her children. They are definitely trying to put her in a more positive light. And Jimbob has been practically invisible with the first 3 episodes. Looks like we will see more of him next week.

Oh, and seriously, Michele had the worst case of Crazy Eyes I have seen when she was talking to poor Guinn about having grandbabies. I really can't believe someone didn't edit that part out as it really made her look like a baby crazed maniac.... oh right.....

You know, I had totally different take on that. Personally I felt that scene was one of the more spontaneous scenes we have had in a long time from them. It was nice to see the banter between the girls. I saw Jessa more as gently teasing when she kept telling Jana to Come on Out.

And I thought the dresses looked fine on Jana and Jinger. I don't care for the ruffle off center in front, but otherwise they were ok.

I would much rather see scenes like this one where we see some spark of life with these girls than the robotic stuff we typically see.

And, I have to say it again. TLC is trying to rehabilitate Michele to the audience who have all noticed she barely parents her children. They are definitely trying to put her in a more positive light. And Jimbob has been practically invisible with the first 3 episodes. Looks like we will see more of him next week.

Oh, and seriously, Michele had the worst case of Crazy Eyes I have seen when she was talking to poor Guinn about having grandbabies. I really can't believe someone didn't edit that part out as it really made her look like a baby crazed maniac.... oh right.....

I feel so ripped off- I hate it that the timeline isn't accurate, and TLC doesn't even put in a good effort to cover it up. grr.

I have to agree, the scene with Jana trying on the dress seemed the most natural, real scene in ages. I loved seeing Jana talk, her natural reaction ertc,.

As for Michelle, She's old school now- I"m over her (all she was good at was babies. Babies are done. She has absolutely no relationship with her kids) Just MOVE ON TLC.

Does anybody else get that creeping feeling that James actually LIVES with Jill and Derick? It looks like parents and son and not just because of the age difference. There is definitely a maternal bond there from her raising him. Did they take him in?

Does anybody else get that creeping feeling that James actually LIVES with Jill and Derick? It looks like parents and son and not just because of the age difference. There is definitely a maternal bond there from her raising him. Did they take him in?

Hmm, don't know if he lives with J & D but he does seem much more comfortable with them and probably spends a lot of time there. I suspect he'll be more like an older brother to Baby Dilly than an uncle.

Hmm, don't know if he lives with J & D but he does seem much more comfortable with them and probably spends a lot of time there. I suspect he'll be more like an older brother to Baby Dilly than an uncle.

I wouldn't be surprised if, over time, more and more of the littles end up "spending most of their time" with their mom buddy leader. They won't officially live there, of course, but they'll spend five nights a week there and have a room and clothes and toys and everything. I imagine Jill would almost prefer it that way anyway. As the above poster said, there's definitely that maternal bond there with Jill and her buddies.

Ouch, the ratings dropped this week. Apparently all the hype from Ben and Jessa's People Magazine cover did nothing to increase viewership. Last night's two episodes averaged around 2 million viewers and a 0.7 & 0.9 adults 18-49 ratings, down from last week's 3.3 mil & 1.2 adults 18-49. Weirdly, the ratings for the first episode with Jessa shopping for her wedding dress did WORSE than the second episode with Jill and Derick visiting their midwife. I thought it would be the other way around? I guess people weren't interested this time to see Jessa pick out her dress because if I recall, Jill's wedding dress episode last season got one of the highest ratings ever for the show.

Wow people magazine said that last episode was the number one show on Tuesday

You can't glean much reality from the show, but it is a little odd that James pops up so often in scenes with them, especially when there are so many random howlers and little sisters.

If I'm recalling correctly, James was on Jill's buddy team and considering that he's 13, he'd probably been on it for a long time. 13 is a tough age for a boy to lose his mother. If he does have some behavioral issues, and is unhappy with the fact that Jill is out of the house, I can see JB and Michelle agreeing to let him stay with the Dillards. Win for them, win for James and possibly a win for Jill who must be lonely when Derick is off at work all day. James can help Jill with things around the house and learn a time table or two in the process.

Saw the show. I thought Jessa was a bitch, but I agree it was SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING to see them being real rather than re-enacting something badly the way they usually do. Jana DID make me wonder just WHAT they've done to her and for what reason. She just seems so guarded? watchful? afraid? Not sure the word. Even though she spoke out I really didn't feel she felt confident to do so.

James--I think as the older ones marry [at least those who live nearby] favorite siblings WILL gravitate to the other homes and be welcomed. I think, in a way, it shows something has gone RIGHT--they want to still be close and not in some schmarmy, fake Gothard "we all want to share the same room" way, but genuine love and friendship between siblings and in-laws as well.

So still nothing on Josie's seizure--what do you bet it's the season finale? And John David will be shown as a glorified Mall Cop so we can see how "free" they are to choose their own careers. So is Blessa/Bin's Paris honeymoon NEXT season? I predict, as I wrote elsewhere, that Jessa's womb will be miraculously opened only after Jill's baby arrives. Isn't that great of God to work that out!

James--I think as the older ones marry [at least those who live nearby] favorite siblings WILL gravitate to the other homes and be welcomed. I think, in a way, it shows something has gone RIGHT--they want to still be close and not in some schmarmy, fake Gothard "we all want to share the same room" way, but genuine love and friendship between siblings and in-laws as well.

The relationship between James and Jill isn't really a normal sibling relationship. She's much older and played a primary role in raising him. It's nice that she's there for him now, but if she's hellbent on having 10 or 20 kids herself, her buddy relationships will eventually take a back seat way at the end of the bus.

My own guess is that in 10 or 20 years, the Duggar offspring will for the most part not be close to each other. They have not been allowed normal relations with their siblings (Jana, Jessa and the jewelry box, case in point) and this will adversely impact their adult relationships.

I just watched a documentary about the Cowsills, a family band from the 60's, and I can see the Duggar kids ending up sort of like them. Scattered all over, major issues still festering, sporadic contact. But when they do get together every few years, they'll laugh and cry over the incredibly crazy experience they had being fundie reality stars way back during the early part of the century.

Oh, I completely agree. But we know that's never going to happen. Unfortunately, the best that kid's going to get is some tutoring from Jill-Totally!-Buddy.

Was it James who was shown several seasons ago running around the house and doing his utmost to avoid any schooling whatsoever? I believe it was on the wtffundiefamilies tumblr. There were some amazing screenshots of Mullet's crazy eyes. Those gave the distinct impression that if not for the cameras, some kind of biblical chastisement would have occurred. Then again, it could have been Justin who had been lying about finishing his reading and hiding his workbook (sometimes the Howlers just seem like this undifferentiated mass of male energy -- except Jackson, and that's due to his THs with Hannie). It seems like all the Howlers have very effective strategies for avoiding educational situations... Not that the SOTDRT offers much, but they sure know how to evade even that.

When Ben made that comment about Jessa needing a modest dress because he gets jealous, and she is HIS, DAMMIT...I wanted to smack him in his smug face (as usual). I keep trying to remember that he's pretty young, but the more time he spends drowning in patriarchal culture, the worse it's going to get :x

Guinn seemed way more into Jessa's dress shopping than Michelle was. Maybe because she really hasn't been involved with a child's wedding before? Or just more typical MOTY behavior from J'chelle. She was trying really hard to make it seem like she had unique feelings about two different daughters getting married but she wasn't really succeeding. Michelle made the comment about how "she blinked" and it was time for Jessa's wedding...which is exactly the same thing she said with Jill. Plus her response of "ohhh, Blesssaaa" whenever Jessa came out with a new dress on was identical to Jill's too.

I really liked the dress Jessa picked. It's by far the best fundie dress we've seen on here. But I actually really liked the first one she tried on too, the more form-fitting lace one. I just thought it was sad that she didn't like that one as much because OMG MODESTY!! Not that there's anything wrong with choosing whatever wedding dress you like best, but it made me wish the Duggar girls weren't taught that being completely covered from shoulders to toes is not modest enough :|

My own guess is that in 10 or 20 years, the Duggar offspring will for the most part not be close to each other. They have not been allowed normal relations with their siblings (Jana, Jessa and the jewelry box, case in point) and this will adversely impact their adult relationships.

I just watched a documentary about the Cowsills, a family band from the 60's, and I can see the Duggar kids ending up sort of like them. Scattered all over, major issues still festering, sporadic contact. But when they do get together every few years, they'll laugh and cry over the incredibly crazy experience they had being fundie reality stars way back during the early part of the century.

I can see that they won't be very close. My grandmother was the oldest of 10 kids which were spread out about 20 years - much like the Duggars just 1/2 as many. Grandma and Great-grandma were pregnant with a child at the same time, Grandma's 1st and Great-Grandma's last. We used to do the family reunions about 30 years ago when my generation (3rd generation) were kids. Each of the 10 kids had 4 or 5 kids (IIRC). 8 of Grandma's siblings still lived in the same state roughly in the a 100 mile radius of each other 30 years ago. Even at that time many of the 2nd generation had moved away- some fought in Vietnam and stayed in the military-thus moving around, some moved for the spouse, warmer weather, etc. As 3rd generation - I can barely keep the great aunts/uncles (with spouses) correct let alone their children (my parents age) and then no way I know their children (my generation) plus then the 4th generation has begun- I think the oldest in the 4th generation is 15 or so. Granted I know some- the one cousin I met in VA for the first time when we were in middle school and we are still close to this day and my own first cousins but when it extends beyond it becomes hit and miss on who I know (if they came to reunions, I know them, if they didn't- no idea who they are). At funerals, I stand back with my mom, aunt or uncle and ask who everyone is - we are all getting older and we are all changing.

My point- the family is too big to be close knit to everyone and I bet several will scatter - especially when the lights turn off from TLC.

When Ben made that comment about Jessa needing a modest dress because he gets jealous, and she is HIS, DAMMIT...I wanted to smack him in his smug face (as usual). I keep trying to remember that he's pretty young, but the more time he spends drowning in patriarchal culture, the worse it's going to get :x

Guinn seemed way more into Jessa's dress shopping than Michelle was. Maybe because she really hasn't been involved with a child's wedding before? Or just more typical MOTY behavior from J'chelle. She was trying really hard to make it seem like she had unique feelings about two different daughters getting married but she wasn't really succeeding. Michelle made the comment about how "she blinked" and it was time for Jessa's wedding...which is exactly the same thing she said with Jill. Plus her response of "ohhh, Blesssaaa" whenever Jessa came out with a new dress on was identical to Jill's too.

I really liked the dress Jessa picked. It's by far the best fundie dress we've seen on here. But I actually really liked the first one she tried on too, the more form-fitting lace one. I just thought it was sad that she didn't like that one as much because OMG MODESTY!! Not that there's anything wrong with choosing whatever wedding dress you like best, but it made me wish the Duggar girls weren't taught that being completely covered from shoulders to toes is not modest enough :|

What is with Michelle and her phone? First, at Jill's dress shopping bonanza, she read a statement off of it. Then, at Jessa's, she was checking that phone in her hand and barely tore herself away to look up at Jessa.

I agree that the blush dress was GORGEOUS!! Good for Jessa.

I can see that they won't be very close. My grandmother was the oldest of 10 kids which were spread out about 20 years - much like the Duggars just 1/2 as many. Grandma and Great-grandma were pregnant with a child at the same time, Grandma's 1st and Great-Grandma's last. We used to do the family reunions about 30 years ago when my generation (3rd generation) were kids. Each of the 10 kids had 4 or 5 kids (IIRC). 8 of Grandma's siblings still lived in the same state roughly in the a 100 mile radius of each other 30 years ago. Even at that time many of the 2nd generation had moved away- some fought in Vietnam and stayed in the military-thus moving around, some moved for the spouse, warmer weather, etc. As 3rd generation - I can barely keep the great aunts/uncles (with spouses) correct let alone their children (my parents age) and then no way I know their children (my generation) plus then the 4th generation has begun- I think the oldest in the 4th generation is 15 or so. Granted I know some- the one cousin I met in VA for the first time when we were in middle school and we are still close to this day and my own first cousins but when it extends beyond it becomes hit and miss on who I know (if they came to reunions, I know them, if they didn't- no idea who they are). At funerals, I stand back with my mom, aunt or uncle and ask who everyone is - we are all getting older and we are all changing.

My point- the family is too big to be close knit to everyone and I bet several will scatter - especially when the lights turn off from TLC.

My brother and I are the entire family. We see each other....almost never. Just very different people.

I think folks interested in huge families should read Fourteen: Growing Up Alone in a Crowd by Stephen Zanichkowsky . A 50s/60s Catholic family--the original Quiverfull religion--and how awful it was. Hunger was a big problem. I look at Josh and Zack Bates and think "they never had enough to eat"

Another good read--though I had to buy it from Vision Forum [probably online used now] is 10 Ps in a Pod by Arnold Pent--touted as the "original homeschool family". Some wackadoodledoo stuff in there to be sure.

But on the Duggar kids? I do think some will stay close, but I agree that they won't all. Obviously what Josh really knows about Josie is next to nothing. And as has been pointed out the relationships between the siblings in this family are not typical. But I think some will stay friends--maybe more like Mother/Child but also just siblings. I grew up close with a big family (1/2 size of the Duggars) and #2 and the baby are very close still. It happens.

On James and school--yes, James was the one shown trying to avoid school years back.

Yes, I remember that scene where James was supposed to go get his workbook in another room, got distracted a half-dozen times along the way, and then finally remembered, "Oh, yeah! I need to go find that book." The way it played out on TV was cute and funny, like something the Beaver or one of the Little Rascals would do. But if this is what happens on a regular basis, it really isn't funny. Even then, James would have been in the 3rd or 4th grade and it looked as if he was doing first-grade work.

I don't think the massive size of the family would necessarily be the reason why they won't be close as adults, although that's a part of it.

It's the extraordinary dysfunction. And it's not just the Gothard dysfunction that has forced them to cheerfully be "best friends" at all times. It's also the dysfunction of growing up on a reality show and spending much of the rest of their time traveling to far-flung places to sing the Blood song to audiences who gawk at them like they were zoo creatures.

The middle and younger kids will almost certainly suffer from such an all around bizarre upbringing. And I just don't see them binding together over it when they are adults. I think it will be just the opposite.

I'm on episode 2 and I have to say, I'm still (STILL) shocked that they let Jessa get a blush colored dress. That seems like the biggest rebellion against their traditions IMO.

I think you were pretty lucky. I was down for the count for a good three days afterwards and still in a lot of pain and a drug haze for a while after that. My cheeks were also incredibly bruised and swollen- I think my boss would have sent me home if she saw me the next day!

I think you were pretty lucky. I was down for the count for a good three days afterwards and still in a lot of pain and a drug haze for a while after that. My cheeks were also incredibly bruised and swollen- I think my boss would have sent me home if she saw me the next day!

Maybe age has something to do with that. Joy is 17 I believe. I was 19 when mine were removed and they were impacted which meant drilling in the bone. I got dry sockets and suffered greatly for several days. Lost 5 pounds that first week (nice side effect). On the other hand my sister who is 18 months older and had them removed the same day as me went to cape cod with friends the next day and had herself a nice w'end. If they're removed when you're older then chances are they were closer to the surface already and it becomes a much easier recovery.

Archived