IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

The whole 15 minute seizure thing makes me wonder what else is wrong with this child, and how severe are her seizures?

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, let's reinforce the extremely unrealistic and misogynistic idea that if anything goes wrong it's become the mother isn't home. good plan!

Because all women should have to explain why they weren't home where they belong with their child when they fell ill/ had an accident/ had absolutely anything go wrong in their lives ever.

Do Michelle and Jim Bob ( cause they actually have two parents ) push too many of their responsibilities on to older siblings? IMHO, absolutely. Should the mom be shamed because her vchild was in the care of a responsible adult when a medical emergency arose? No.

Thank you! I was just about to go into meltdown over this! I almost never leave my children with anyone. However, once while I happened to be in surgery, my severely asthmatic (now) 13 y/o had a horrible attack that left him placed in a drug induced coma for 3 days. And by god just let someone even try to criticize me for not being home. Where Michelle and Jim Bob were is no one's damn business!

Ok so I had a thought about why one of the girls is filming the thing on her phone, and I wondered if perhs it was a request of a health professional or doctor? I know of people who started to have seizures and the health professional suggested recording one so they could examine what was going on if it wasn't clear from scans or description? So maybe they had to film it (not for TV) and then things just went outta control when she didn't stop?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying I condone the footage being shown on TV, I'm just trying to think out side the box lol

Thank you! I was just about to go into meltdown over this! I almost never leave my children with anyone. However, once while I happened to be in surgery, my severely asthmatic (now) 13 y/o had a horrible attack that left him placed in a drug induced coma for 3 days. And by god just let someone even try to criticize me for not being home. Where Michelle and Jim Bob were is no one's damn business!

Except that they disparage working women for not being home with their kids. Their whole schtick is that women should always be at home.

They can't have it both ways.

Except that they disparage working women for not being home with their kids. Their whole schtick is that women should always be at home.

They can't have it both ways.

Exactly-- anjulibai is right.

Also, Michelle and JimBob take accolades for their parenting and promote having large amounts of children-- hiding the fact that their older daughters are often the ones doing the actual parenting (like caring for Josie when she had this medical emergency). This is not an exception; it is the rule that the Duggar daughters are regularly left in charge of their siblings in lieu of their parents.

I'd like to know what Jana's feelings are about airing this. I can't imagine for one minute she would want the world to see her in a panic over Josie's condition. From the brief clip they showed of Jana crying it occurred to me that it's the most 'natural' and, therefore, the most vulnerable that we've ever seen her. She always presents herself in a cautious manner. Remember she didn't want to come out of the closet in that God-awful bridesmaid's dress, I'm sure because it was being filmed. I'd love to know if she has had a voice at all in this decision.

Yes, let's reinforce the extremely unrealistic and misogynistic idea that if anything goes wrong it's become the mother isn't home. good plan!

Because all women should have to explain why they weren't home where they belong with their child when they fell ill/ had an accident/ had absolutely anything go wrong in their lives ever.

Do Michelle and Jim Bob ( cause they actually have two parents ) push too many of their responsibilities on to older siblings? IMHO, absolutely. Should the mom be shamed because her vchild was in the care of a responsible adult when a medical emergency arose? No.

I have to agree with this. The seizure could have easily have happened at pre-school if she was being mainstream schooled and plenty of parents leave the kids with responsible babysitters but they don't outsource their parenting to other people.

But my reaction when I heard this was 'of course it was poor Jana who had to deal with this' because of the ongoing pattern of Boob and J'Uterus when it comes to making their older daughters parent their children for them.

If they did air some sort of PSA, I do not want to see Boob and Mullet with their fake concerned faces giving it. It should be Jana, she's the one doing most of the raising in that house.

Showing Josie having a seizure is a new low for the show. Its right up there with them wheeling around JB's dad when he was near death. And this show has had quite a few lows (toilet birth anyone?!) but this is another level. I don't know a ton about seizures but it seems like the one she had was serious enough to possibly kill her. They hardly show the production staff and to have it showing them freaking out too, you know it was very bad.

Alright, I actually went to change.org and signed the damn thing. I never do that. I also posted it to my Facebook, and again, I NEVER do that. On principle, I don't link my Facebook to outside accounts, but this one is worth it to me. The lack of privacy and common sense the Duggars and TLC demonstrate by airing crap like that--Jubilee's miscarriage, Anna's toilet birth, Josie's seizure, even Jenni's eye appointments-absolutely incenses me. They really need to show more common sense, respect, and discretion about when they film and what they do with the footage.

The whole 15 minute seizure thing makes me wonder what else is wrong with this child, and how severe are her seizures?

Agreed - that's not normal even for someone who is known to have seizures. Something that long could easily result in major brain damage. Though if she's regularly having shorter seizures - or less prominent ones, some seizures (eg absence) are super easy to miss - that could still result in some developmental problems.

Oh lord... I just saw the promo and... speechless. Shame on everyone involved for airing this!

That kid was not ok. I'm not one to jump on the "Josie conspiracy theory" bandwagon, but having witnessed small children having seizures, she did not seem like she was having a "typical childhood episode".

Petition to send Jana to a spa for a month for dealing with that. That's scary even when you're not in charge... let alone when you are...

Oh lord... I just saw the promo and... speechless. Shame on everyone involved for airing this!

That kid was not ok. I'm not one to jump on the "Josie conspiracy theory" bandwagon, but having witnessed small children having seizures, she did not seem like she was having a "typical childhood episode".

Petition to send Jana to a spa for a month for dealing with that. That's scary even when you're not in charge... let alone when you are...

I'll sign that. A good one, where she can have privacy and whatever level of spa activity she's comfortable with. (And her "chaperone"/"buddy" will also get said spa activity -- how about Jinger AND Joy?)

I finally saw those last few seconds in the promo. That's horrifying. Fifteen minutes is a LONG time to seize. That poor girl, and poor Jana. If JB and Mullet had an ounce of self-awareness, they would be ashamed of themselves...but we know they are incapable of self-reflection or awareness. I wonder what else is going on with Josie. I know that survival rates are improving all the time for micro preemies, but there are obviously still issues.

I also think it's disturbing how they trot her out as their special miracle child. I am glad she is as healthy as she is and that her family loves her (she even got Mullet's attention, and we know that hadn't happened with one of her kids in YEARS). On a related side note -- there are also kids who are born early and live painful, short lives. Survival shouldn't be the only goal; quality of life should count for something, too. This mom shared her experience with the Guardian, and it is just heart breaking: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011 ... life-death Just to clarify: I'm NOT saying Josie shouldn't have received all the care she did. But I think the Duggars are doing everyone a disservice by pretending everything has been fine with her after the rocky beginning. I DON'T think they should disclose nearly as much as they do with other medical issues, but it seems disingenuous to not at least mention that she has some special needs as a result of her unexpectedly early entrance into the world...and that those needs are being attended to. The way it's presently portrayed makes them look even more neglectful and ignorant than their usual parenting methods do.

Hi there! I've been lurking for quite some time and have finally decided to come out of hiding.

I'm a guilty-as-charged Duggar hate-watcher, but after seeing the preview for this episode, I just don't know if I can do it this week. It won't be the first time. I couldn't watch the Jubilee episode and skipped a lot while Josie was in the hospital -- it's just too much. Seizures are terrifying to witness when they happen to adults. I can't even wrap my head around watching the same thing happen to a child, keeping the cameras rolling, and then choosing to let such a massive audience access it.

Agreed - that's not normal even for someone who is known to have seizures. Something that long could easily result in major brain damage. Though if she's regularly having shorter seizures - or less prominent ones, some seizures (eg absence) are super easy to miss - that could still result in some developmental problems.

From what I've read, any seizure that lasts longer than 5 minutes has a very, very high risk of brain damage and is very much a medical emergency, and if she doesn't already have epilepsy, a seizure that goes on for that long may indicate that something is very, very wrong (it could also be a febrile seizure, which affects 2-4% of the population, and I hope to God it's just that).

Whatever it is, I hope she gets the care she needs and recovers and this can all be just a scary childhood story in a few years' time, or if that's not going to happen, gets the care she needs and that she and her family learn to adapt to her condition so she can still be the spunky little girl we've seen her be on TV, but safer and able to manage her seizures or whatever her problem is. I really do think she's a cute kid (spoiled as all hell, but cute and obviously has a lively personality that I hope doesn't get beaten out of her like her sisters), and I really want the best for her.

How many episodes are left in the season? Is Josie's seizure the season fucking finale? When we know they play fast and loose with timelines and they could have easily made Jessa's wedding the finale and her honeymoon the opener next season, for instance?

How many episodes are left in the season? Is Josie's seizure the season fucking finale? When we know they play fast and loose with timelines and they could have easily made Jessa's wedding the finale and her honeymoon the opener next season, for instance?

I think JIll delivering IDDY is the season finale

I think JIll delivering IDDY is the season finale

That makes sense. I didn't realize May 5 is around the corner.

This season has been extraordinarily long. Don't most TLC shows get about six weeks. This season of 19 Kids started in February and will be going on into May. Favoritism much? Maybe overexposure will start to have an effect.

I've only seen the promo a few times, but I can't get J'chelle's voice describing it out of my head. She sounds almost excited, like she does about everything. There's no grief or worry or concern at all. She's like a robot.

Wouldn't it be horrible if it turns out Josie has some kind of condition and they're keeping it secret until the day the episode airs, just like they do with pregnancy shit? :nenner:

Wouldn't it be horrible if it turns out Josie has some kind of condition and they're keeping it secret until the day the episode airs, just like they do with pregnancy shit? :nenner:

I feel like that would be crossing just about every possible boundary of bad taste bar filming the consummation of the marriages. If they chose to keep Josie's condition private (ideally by ending the show with a statement like "we have enjoyed sharing our family's life over the years, but now we realize that the time has come for us to focus on raising our family and enjoying our time with our children and grandchildren, especially our littlest ones, away from the glare of the media. We will continue to update our social media and pop up every now and then, but we will appreciate a more private, quiet life from here on out"), that would be fine, and if they chose to be open about it and talk candidly about the experience of raising a child with special medical challenges, that could be wonderful and show a more human side of the family, but this exploitation of her condition for ~suspense~ and ratings is frankly sickening. Screw you, TLC (and the Duggars), for profiting off an innocent child's illness and treating it like a plot point in a soap opera instead of a serious and traumatic event for both Josie and her siblings.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to remember, but Josie was alone with the older girls during another major medical scare, wasn't she? Weren't JB and Mullet in El Salvador or another country when the girls had to call 911? Was it seizures that time, too, or another problem?

Archived