IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

My two year old SCREAMS if you try to feed her unless she wants what you are eating and says "bite?"

I can't imagine spoon feeding a five year old. I'd make her eat and THEN get dressed. Besides, Jordyn is six and doesn't need to be spoon fed.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am sure there are some but i have never seen a micro preemie who didn't have a brain bleed. My son still has a blood clot embedded in brain tissue that will always be there from his and he's 17 now. Considering what could be wrong with Josie, she seems normal. I see 5 year olds all the time that are at least as immature as her if not more so that are considered normal because no-one is picking them apart looking for something to be wrong. Yes, she's immature, but she also has super shitty parents. As for the way she looks, the preemie look does make a child have a similar look to children with chromosomal issues for some reason. It was really the biggest shock to me with my micro preemie. Maybe because everyone tells you all these things to expect But no-one ever says' oh yeah, and they are going to look different from other kids for years' . She looks like a typical former micro preemie. It will go away eventually.

My daughter was born at 26 weeks and did not have a brain bleed or a "preemie" look. She is 4 now.

Here is an interesting bit of info on that:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/ ... rics/37681

So let me get this straight :

Each year there are about 30 half hour episodes of 19 kids and counting. 22 minutes if you take out commercials. 20 minutes, to be generous, if you take out the intro and recap/ preview. There are also, usually, a few hour long ( 40 minute) episodes on a specific theme. Plus various interviews, appearances, fan photos that show up on the web.

So to be very, very generous, we are seeing a grand total of 15 hours of highly edited, story line driven , activity/ event / theme oriented footage of this ENTIRE family of 29 lives. ( parents, 19 kids, grandma, Anna, m-kids, Amy, Derrik, Ben ) . So at absolute maximum, if it was divided equally, half an hour per person, per year.

But it of course isn't divided equally. There is a storyline. Different family members are the focus of different episodes and seasons. The focus was on Josie and the drama and intensity of her birth the first year or so after she was born. Since then the focus has been on various other family members and life events. Currently almost entirely on courtships / weddings.

So each episode has a scene of " last week", " coming up" and then the intro. Commercials. Some sort of episode set up. Multiple talking heads. Actual shots of whatever they are doing this week. Generally two things are featured each episode - the main season focus and a side activity/ event. So maybe dress shopping and misc. kid activity. The past couple of seasons these are often focused on an individual kid instead of a group event. So either scenes of Michelle showcasing random Howler interests ( IMHO these are to see which kids screen as most interesting/ comfortable on camera. Because with the more camera happy adult kids leaving they need to find younger ones for the home focus) . Or participating in some event / going on a trip/ showing how they manage with a huge group. More talking heads.

So out of this incredibly small look at the little girls lives we apparently know that Josie is favored and spoiled. That Jordyn has never been spoon fed on the way out the door, but Josie routinely is. That Jordyn and Jennifer must just hate or resent Josie. And on and on and on. That if this group of 4-7 year olds ever pout or squabble or want to be babied or act obstinate or sullen or aren't paying attention or are hyper or don't want to share that it has some deeper meaning. Alrighty then. :roll:

We know, from what Jennifer has actually SAID, that she is really, really sad about Jill leaving. We can certainly make an educated assumption that there is something off in their family dynamic of buddies when Jennifer is shown crying for Jill, not her mom or dad, whenever she is scared or upset.

But to the rest of it ? Good Lord, how on earth can people have such strong assumptions of little kids entire lives and how they feel about each other based on such a tiny bit of a window into little kids acting like little kids?

Why the hell is this child always being fed with a huge tablespoon? Don't any of these Duggar household own teaspoons FFS?

Josie's face i that picture is exactly the face my niece had earlier tlday while i was feeding her. She is 9 months old

My daughter was born at 26 weeks and did not have a brain bleed or a "preemie" look. She is 4 now.

Here is an interesting bit of info on that:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/ ... rics/37681

That's an interesting article. I got very lucky. My son had a high grade 3, almost grade 4, bleed. He had no cognitive or language issues at all. I said I am sure some micro preemies don't have bleeds and you are fortunate your daughter did not. Especially if she also avoided the preemie look. Josie definitely got that, as did my son and every single micro preemie I have seen, in person or pictures. So yes, you were very lucky, indeed. My son was born in 1997 with no prior indication he would be early so I am certain things would be different today or even then with added time to administer steroids prior to his birth.

Each year there are about 30 half hour episodes of 19 kids and counting. 22 minutes if you take out commercials. 20 minutes, to be generous, if you take out the intro and recap/ preview. There are also, usually, a few hour long ( 40 minute) episodes on a specific theme. Plus various interviews, appearances, fan photos that show up on the web.

So to be very, very generous, we are seeing a grand total of 15 hours of highly edited, story line driven , activity/ event / theme oriented footage of this ENTIRE family of 29 lives. ( parents, 19 kids, grandma, Anna, m-kids, Amy, Derrik, Ben ) . So at absolute maximum, if it was divided equally, half an hour per person, per year.

But it of course isn't divided equally. There is a storyline. Different family members are the focus of different episodes and seasons. The focus was on Josie and the drama and intensity of her birth the first year or so after she was born. Since then the focus has been on various other family members and life events. Currently almost entirely on courtships / weddings.

So each episode has a scene of " last week", " coming up" and then the intro. Commercials. Some sort of episode set up. Multiple talking heads. Actual shots of whatever they are doing this week. Generally two things are featured each episode - the main season focus and a side activity/ event. So maybe dress shopping and misc. kid activity. The past couple of seasons these are often focused on an individual kid instead of a group event. So either scenes of Michelle showcasing random Howler interests ( IMHO these are to see which kids screen as most interesting/ comfortable on camera. Because with the more camera happy adult kids leaving they need to find younger ones for the home focus) . Or participating in some event / going on a trip/ showing how they manage with a huge group. More talking heads.

So out of this incredibly small look at the little girls lives we apparently know that Josie is favored and spoiled. That Jordyn has never been spoon fed on the way out the door, but Josie routinely is. That Jordyn and Jennifer must just hate or resent Josie. And on and on and on. That if this group of 4-7 year olds ever pout or squabble or want to be babied or act obstinate or sullen or aren't paying attention or are hyper or don't want to share that it has some deeper meaning. Alrighty then. :roll:

We know, from what Jennifer has actually SAID, that she is really, really sad about Jill leaving. We can certainly make an educated assumption that there is something off in their family dynamic of buddies when Jennifer is shown crying for Jill, not her mom or dad, whenever she is scared or upset.

But to the rest of it ? Good Lord, how on earth can people have such strong assumptions of little kids entire lives and how they feel about each other based on such a tiny bit of a window into little kids acting like little kids?

To which I must add, WTH are these people doing the rest of the time????? 18-25 yos- what are they productively doing with all that free time?

"Older kids" and strollers.

When we had my granddaughters, we had season's passes to a local theme park. It was HUGE! I would take the dual stroller I had for them when we went, until they were probably 6 and 4. They would get tired, they would get cranky and hot at times. It was easier to take the stroller so they could sit, have a snack, have a drink while we walked around the park. One or the other or both would doze off at times too. Sometimes we'd get goofy looks and I'd just ignore them. After the 6 year old sort of outgrew the stroller, I still had a single stroller for the little one. They'd get tired out riding rides and stuff. Sometimes they'd want to get out and walk (run) and then when they got tired, they'd get back in.

I don't think there's really an age limit for kids in strollers (well...maybe by the time they're 6 or 7), depending on what activity. My 2 year old grandson HATES the stroller, but if we're going somewhere that we're going to be doing a lot of walking, you can be sure that we'll have it anyway. We're planning a trip to Disneyland for later this year, he'll be about 3 and you bet your bippy I'm taking a stroller!

According to the Bates Family official Instagram, Jim Bob and Michelle took Josie with them to Guadalajara for their speaking engagement yesterday: instagram.com/p/zp64b9Mbt0/?modal=true

Because props are important in speeches, and special miracle snowflake Josie is the best prop of all.

15 year old Josie Bates, according to the photos, got stuck with being temporary sistermom to Josie Duggar (because you can't expect Michelle to take care of her kids, can you???) & carrying her around.

That's right--a 15 year old girl carrying around a 5 year old girl.

At 15, I'm pretty sure I carried every child who let me. And when I was in middle school, I attended a k-8 school. I routinely carried the 3rd graders and under. Why? Because I thought it was fun.

Plus it was like a handful of pictures. That was HARDLY proof that's all she did the whole time. Or that she even saw Josie for a more than a few minutes. I think you're jumping to conclusions over nothing.

So let me get this straight...

I know can you imagine the really bad behavior they are leaving out??? If this is only a glimpse these kids must be absolute nightmares.

At 15, I'm pretty sure I carried every child who let me. And when I was in middle school, I attended a k-8 school. I routinely carried the 3rd graders and under. Why? Because I thought it was fun.

Plus it was like a handful of pictures. That was HARDLY proof that's all she did the whole time. Or that she even saw Josie for a more than a few minutes. I think you're jumping to conclusions over nothing.

I'm pretty sure that I am not the only Fjer who, after years of observation of tv shows+pictures+social media, "jumps to the conclusion" that Michelle spends little time with her small children, and routinely expects whatever sistermom is around (even if its a Bates sistermom) to take care of them. And I also do not think that I am "jumping to the conclusion" that the Duggars often bring Josie along as a prop for their anti-choice, quiverfull speeches--because they DO, over and over again.

I'm pretty sure that I am not the only Fjer who, after years of observation of tv shows+pictures+social media, "jumps to the conclusion" that Michelle spends little time with her small children, and routinely expects whatever sistermom is around (even if its a Bates sistermom) to take care of them. And I also do not think that I am "jumping to the conclusion" that the Duggars often bring Josie along as a prop for their anti-choice, quiverfull speeches--because they DO, over and over again.

The conclusion I was attacking was the one that Josie Bates was being forced into the role of a sister mom based on a handful of pictures of the two of them.

The conclusion I was attacking was the one that Josie Bates was being forced into the role of a sister mom based on a handful of pictures of the two of them.

Seriously. It's really pretty funny. And what I think is extra strange is that in this same thread the Duggar parents are being called bad parents for leaving Josie at home with a perfectly competent adult AND for bringing Josie along on a trip. They can't leave her home because she's high needs. And apparently a 25 year old woman is incapable of caring for her. But they can't bring her along, because then she is the favored spoiled baby.

The Duggar parents have very obviously put far too much of the child rearing responsibility on their older daughters. Michelle, in my opinion relates to the smaller children more like a dad who has a long commute and the older daughters functioned and related to their siblings like SAHM who provide the primary care and nurturing. Jim Bob seems somewhat more affectionate wiith the little kids. And he and Jordyn seem close.

But the parents pushing their responsibilities onto the sister- moms really has nothing to do with some photos of a teen friend carrying Josie in some photos. It is such a HUGE stretch to assume anything from those pictures . She could have been forced into watching her the entire event. She could of earned a little spending money watching Josie for a few hours. She could have voluntarily wanted to hang out with her. She could have spent ten minutes with her posing for photos and not even seen her the rest of the trip. How could anyone possibly know?

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I just came from an afternoon with my family at the park. While there parents were packing everything up the two six year olds were asked to play with their toddler siblings to keep them busy. One of them said to the other , in a fake long suffering voice " come on, we need to babysit the kids " they weren't really babysitting. They had fun pretending they were. Well one of them. The other one was wound up and was bugging her parent more than the toddler sibling. But anyway, the point is even kids who aren't sister-moms or little buddies will have fun playing baby or grown-up sometimes. And many teens like carrying little kids around.

do we see Jana doing much with the kids? I have seen her holding kids in the background, but I can't say I have ever seen her really interacting with the kids.

"She could of earned a little spending money watching Josie for a few hours."

I'm sorry, but if Michelle Duggar has ever PAID anyone to take care of (including educating) any of her children, I will eat my keyboard.

I'm sorry, but if Michelle Duggar has ever PAID anyone to take care of (including educating) any of her children, I will eat my keyboard.

If the Duggars paid the olders for babysitting, we would have repeatedly heard about it during THs. "Yes, our older kids enjoying watching their younger siblings and Michelle and I like to financially reward them when they do so. They have such servants' hearts."

Please, tell me that could of was an autocorrect thing

If the Duggars paid the olders for babysitting, we would have repeatedly heard about it during THs. "Yes, our older kids enjoying watching their younger siblings and Michelle and I like to financially reward them when they do so. They have such servants' hearts."

I think when the Duggars, Bates and all their grifting pals refer to the "servants' hearts" of others, they mean "these nice people give us stuff, like child care & harps, for free because they are rewarding us for our super holiness."

Obviously I wasn't talking about the older Duggar daughter's and their siblings.

I actually had less of an issue with the Duggars leaving Josie at home this time around, as she is 5 and I don't believe anyone had a reason to suspect this seizure was coming.

What I can't believe is that afterward Michelle took her to.... Is Guadalajara a third world country? If Josie has another emergency are they near a good hospital? It just seems like having her travel so soon afterwards is potentially not a good idea.

I actually had less of an issue with the Duggars leaving Josie at home this time around, as she is 5 and I don't believe anyone had a reason to suspect this seizure was coming.

What I can't believe is that afterward Michelle took her to.... Is Guadalajara a third world country? If Josie has another emergency are they near a good hospital? It just seems like having her travel so soon afterwards is potentially not a good idea.

OH my god, it's just in Mexico, they are not going to rural congo :angry-banghead:

Guadalajara is a large city in Mexico, they have more than adequate medical facilities in case something were to go wrong.

Guadalajara is a large city in Mexico, they have more than adequate medical facilities in case something were to go wrong.

Not to mention, it's a 2 hour commercial flight from Guadalajara to Houston. So, if there was really an emergency they couldn't handle, Josie could be airlifted back to a major US city.

In addition to Guadalajara being a large city, it's also a popular spot for medical tourism. Meaning people from the United States go there specifically for medical procedures. Because you get more for your money, of course. But people can get some really quality work done with advanced techniques. GuadLajara, or any major city in any country, would be a lot safer than remote, rural homeschool conference in any state or country.

In any case, remember the seizure is only recent to us. The season was filmed last fall. So at least a few months ago.

Here's just a quick breakdown of the medical facilities from a service that caters to medical tourists.

/avionmedicaltourism.com/destinations/guadalajara.php

The seizure likely happened between the weddings, and as scary as it was, and as scary as we see it, they obviously weren't that concerned about it if they never made any sort public announcement about it until they started promoting their new season.

I completely disagree with them taking Josie to Mexico bc they're only using her a prop. And if she really does have some sort of problem with seizures, then she probably shouldn't be flying and leaving her doctors. Yes, she's still has access to great medical care, but it's still not her personal doctors, assuming she has/needs any.

I think I love you for this.

Seriously, thank you for taking the time to break things down like that. I never understood how people could form such firm opinions about the kids in this family when we see so little of their actual lives - I had no idea just how little the time we see actually is!

Everything you said is correct. It also applies to the older kids as well. We really have no clue whether Jana is miserable or not, whether Jill is as obnoxious as people seem to think, whether Jessa actually does anything to help or not, etc. I find it very difficult to try and form firm judgements of these kids based off those few tiny little glimpses we get, even when you add in the social media and magazine coverage as well.

Archived