IGNORED

Joseph Duggar starts College

luv2laugh

Josh had oodles of time at the car lot to do an online degree. Still, I can't imagine there are many working for FRC without a B.A./B.S. and I imagine some have a J.D. I think he's likely jealous of the greater freedom the younger ones have--they MUST watch movies for crowd control on that bus, they get to dress like [Conservative] teens--no tucked in woven shirt with a collar and old man's khakis with a phone in a holster for the younger guys. He had to actually HELP with little kids, I'm sure. I doubt the other boys have very much. He was kind of wistful in the Christmas Parade episode years back when he said he remembered getting a few gifts from Santa when he was little [i.e. before the 'rents went batshitcrazy into ATI/IBLP]. He's the only one who might remember having normal parents, too.

I'm not sure is Josh remembers much of when his parents were semi normal people. (I say semi bc normal people don't get engaged at 17 while still in high school and then get married six months later - still 17 - to their 19 year old fiancé bc mommy and daddy are moving and this is the only way to stay together :roll: because staying local for college wouldn't do the trick) J'chelle went nuts after j'caleb. The twins are only 22 months younger than Josh. J'chelle had seven children in the house when she had her breakdown. Josh was only seven at that point. How much could he really remember of that time? He was seven years old and the eldest of six children and depending on when exactly the breakdown happened, mommy was already pregnant again. He may remember a little bit, but sadly I don't think he remembers much of them being sane. If anything, he remembers his grandparents and his aunt being around a lot trying to save him from the craziness of his parents. Didn't one of them say Amy and Josh were close as children? JB and J'chelle lived near the school and Amy would sneak over during recess. He may not remember his parents being semi-normal, but he definitely remembers when everything turned and they went from crazy jesus freaks to fucking lunatics. (J'chelle said someone at church told them about homeschool when Josh was like four and that's what gave them the idea. I would think they were already into ATI at that point or pretty much there.)

And Josh definitely had to help with the younger kids for a while. Just in that first 14kids special, he had to help with James ("number 13") because he didn't want to take a nap while all the older kids went to the grocery store with mom. It wasn't J'chelle who stepped in, it was Josh. Because "this looks like a job for buddy". Only after Josh had him somewhat calmed down did J'chelle finally come over. Or how about when Josie was being born? He had to come over and help out there, too. I don't think he was really needed, so much as the older girls (mainly Jana) wanted Anna's help, but he was still there trying to control the little ones, even if he was being a pompous ass about it.

Sigh. Sometimes I wonder if he took on that burden - and later taking a few of the littles to the light show with just himself and Anna - as a way of trying to prove to Anna that it's not all roses and sunshine. I really want to believe that he doesn't want to have babies back to back for the simple reason that he doesn't want Mac having the same memories and later resentment that he has. Thankfully Anna's body is spacing her pregnancies a lot better than J'chelle. Maybe that's why he looks so overwhelmed and exhausted most of the time. He's not miserable, he's just terrified of what the future holds for his daughter, because he's finally seeing what this lifestyle does to people. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking …

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in a large metro area. There are many colleges in this area. Some of them are "junior" or "community" colleges, and they take everybody. They have to. The first semester, sometimes spilling into the second, fill the student's time with all the "remedial" courses they SHOULD have learned in first through fifth grade: you know, things like spelling, mathematics, grammar. THAT is why Joseph enrolled for spring semester, to take these courses, so he'd be caught up in time to start his "real, manly" work at college.

I just realized that throughout my entire time here at FJ, I've been looking at the wrong Crown College. :embarrassed:

I googled and clicked the first link which is a private Christian college (in Minnesota, apparently). I was wondering what I was missing because my (obviously not very thorough) look through the Minnesota Crown College revealed a very conservative, Christian school, but certainly not "parental permission for interracial dating" crazy.

:doh:

I'm an adjunct at Crown College in MN, and our students get really upset when people think we're the one in TN, because they have a reputation for being more fundie than us and kind of nuts. We do have fundie students, but most just want to learn in a Christian environment and are open to other viewpoints. The admin isn't bad either, though I wish I made more money. They did hire me, and I self-identify as a feminist in the classroom and everything. So yeah, it's a fairly conservative environment generally, but not as much as Crown College of the Bible.

Well this is a new surprise benefit of being a Dug if u have a penis that is..Attending a unaccredited, fundie college far away from home. Better than nothing..

Is there a dress code at this school? Seems like everyone in the promo video wears the same thing... Duggar uniform.

2014-2015 student handbook is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/409 ... 014-15.pdf

(dropbox doesn't show referers to their customer so there's no need to break this link)

Yes, there is a dress code.

The parental approval for interracial dating has been dropped.

Overall, my impression is that the rules around conduct, dress, and dating are equally oppressive to men and women.

This is my absolute favorite rule, which is about acceptable conduct in the dining room:

Any student dressed in work apparel will only be served if he is on his way to or from work. He may be required to sit at a designated table for workers.

I have to wonder how Josh (who wanted to be a lawyer) and Jill (who wanted to be a nurse) privately feel about Joe getting to go to college. Ah, it's great to be seventh born. :D And poor Jessa, marrying young and just missing out on CC's future cosmetology program!

Also, keep in mind that most super-fundie colleges have an underground of dissenting, dissatisfied students who, over the course of their time in college, become vehemently opposed to everything it stands for. Joseph could run into them and actually be introduced to a different viewpoint.

I so hope this will be the case fore Joseph.

I have to wonder how Josh (who wanted to be a lawyer) and Jill (who wanted to be a nurse) privately feel about Joe getting to go to college. Ah, it's great to be seventh born. :D And poor Jessa, marrying young and just missing out on CC's future cosmetology program!

I think Jill IS really happy....she is lucky that her goalsmeshes with Gothrad's position on women. Josh, Jessa, not so sure. They seem like people who would have liked more options, like most young people.

Probably living with the Bates for "accountability"
because Jim Bob is too cheap to pay room & board.

2014-2015 student handbook is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/409 ... 014-15.pdf

(dropbox doesn't show referers to their customer so there's no need to break this link)

Yes, there is a dress code.

The parental approval for interracial dating has been dropped.

Overall, my impression is that the rules around conduct, dress, and dating are equally oppressive to men and women.

This is my absolute favorite rule, which is about acceptable conduct in the dining room:

Of course it's HE because women folk shouldn't be able to work :doh:

Like some other posters here, I also wondered about Joshua and what's his take on this. I doubt he regrets marrying and having children. In my mind, he could have been the one Duggar who actually could have gone in a more ''academic'' route (hmhm quotation marks because I doubt the Duggars will ever choose a true academic field). At least, he was the most vocal about it, especially when he said very young that he wanted to be a lawyer. Josh acts like an idiot but I think he could get his things together and attend college. I wonder if he feels a bit like the ''testing subject'' of the Duggar family. He was the first one to leave, so he had to do it everything in a strict way, just to prove the courting/car lot owner system works.

Amongst all the Jslaves, I never thought Joseph would be the one going to college but then again, he was never very outspoken. So maybe he was thinking about it for a while but didn't say it out loud. I do hope he's there because he wants to.

Edit: Spelling.

For all the negative aspects of Crown College O' the Bible, I hope Joseph is attending in person, because all these Duggarlings need some sort of SCHEDULE that gets their LAZY asses out of bed!! :lol: [except Josiah, he got plenty of that at ALERT]

PS Props to the person who mentioned Johnson Bible College. I'm from across the state line in Western NC, and we used to make fun of that school for being so bible-thumpy!

By the way, Crown also offers a 1 year (2 semester) "Certificate of Christian Life" http://thecrowncollege.com/academics/ch ... rtificate/

So Joseph, or any Duggar, could go do that. Take some bible classes, meet some appropriate students of the opposite sex...

Think of it as fundy "finishing school" !

Yep Im from Johnson City, TN my school defiantly got some strange colleges recruiting us lol

A big part of me wants to take him to Milligan, Lipscomb, Belmont, or Tennessee Wesleyan instead All are Christian schools where he could learn so much more and have more relaxed rules.

Curious question: I'm a college student and my major and most other degrees require a math level of at least college algebra. Does Clown college have any mandatory math level required before a student is able graduate? I'm also curious what the Duggar kids math levels would be due to their Gothard schooling.

It's been quite some time since I looked at their course list, but IIRC, they don't teach higher math (beyond algebra). Who needs Physics if you're studying music, ministry, or even "education?" It's not as if Tori Bates will ever become a licensed teacher. I also remember a very remedial English requirement as well. Why bother when all your "lit" is the bible?

A big part of me wants to take him to Milligan, Lipscomb, Belmont, or Tennessee Wesleyan instead All are Christian schools where he could learn so much more and have more relaxed rules.

Or Mars Hill.

(PS -- I'm from around the Tri-Cities. PM me if you want a meetup.)

Color me impressed when he graduates.

I will actually be impressed if he manages to stop living on Duggar time, get himself up dressed, fed, and to class.

I will actually be impressed if he manages to stop living on Duggar time, get himself up dressed, fed, and to class.

I've always felt that "Duggar time" was more on Jim Bob and Michelle than the kids. I have never really known a child who did not respond to the parental wake up time. What those kids never had, as most kids in the world have had their entire lives, is a schedule, because the PARENTS never had a schedule. Michelle never had to get up and make her headship breakfast because JimBob never went anywhere.

I'm sure that all the boys who went to ALERT responded well to the schedule and were on time because they were expected to do that. College shouldn't be any different, especially since it sounds as if there will be "consequences" if he is late or does not attend some classes.

The girls, well, Jill, get up on time to take their darlings to work.... so it CAN be done, attending to a schedule. Even if you're a Duggar.

I've always felt that "Duggar time" was more on Jim Bob and Michelle than the kids. I have never really known a child who did not respond to the parental wake up time. What those kids never had, as most kids in the world have had their entire lives, is a schedule, because the PARENTS never had a schedule. Michelle never had to get up and make her headship breakfast because JimBob never went anywhere.

I'm sure that all the boys who went to ALERT responded well to the schedule and were on time because they were expected to do that. College shouldn't be any different, especially since it sounds as if there will be "consequences" if he is late or does not attend some classes.

The girls, well, Jill, get up on time to take their darlings to work.... so it CAN be done, attending to a schedule. Even if you're a Duggar.

I totally forgot that Joseph has already experienced this at ALERT.

I would guess that at ALERT they are awakened and not on their own to get up but given all that I've read about this college, I bet they have something in place to rouse the students up, no slug-a-bed-class-skippers at CCotB!

As my husband always says, 90% of work is showing up and being on time-

I agree that DT is all about JB and Michelle. Quite frankly, JB and M are stuck in perpetual teenage dome. It's part of the brainwashing.

To have and keep to a schedule is hard work- especially when every 15 months you're adding a new member to the schedule and routine.

As my husband always says, 90% of work is showing up and being on time-

I agree that DT is all about JB and Michelle. Quite frankly, JB and M are stuck in perpetual teenage dome. It's part of the brainwashing.

To have and keep to a schedule is hard work- especially when every 15 months you're adding a new member to the schedule and routine.

It has not escaped my notice at how having this "abnormal" lifestyle has permitted such things as Duggar time and even having endless babies.

Neither parents have to get up and be at work and accountable to someone else. Hell, they don't even do that for church.

No school or normal activities like sports, dance, music also mean not only not having to be somewhere on a schedule that someone else determined, but not having the expenses either. If Jill, Jessa, Jana, Jinger had gone to high school and been in cheer, drill or band - huge hit to the Duggar bottom line plus coordinating getting everyone to all the places they would need to be.

It has not escaped my notice at how having this "abnormal" lifestyle has permitted such things as Duggar time and even having endless babies.

Neither parents have to get up and be at work and accountable to someone else. Hell, they don't even do that for church.

No school or normal activities like sports, dance, music also mean not only not having to be somewhere on a schedule that someone else determined, but not having the expenses either. If Jill, Jessa, Jana, Jinger had gone to high school and been in cheer, drill or band - huge hit to the Duggar bottom line plus coordinating getting everyone to all the places they would need to be.

I'm telling you the cult mentality must have a special attraction for the lazy. I've said it many times, these folks are as lazy as they come.

My daughter and her husband are frugal, very frugal. They live in So America. They both work and tutor on the side for extra money. They have an infant and they do clothe diapers. At the beginning, they only had a manual washer and no dryer...now they have a real washer, but still no dryer. They hang all their laundry. No maids, housekeepers, nannies or J'slaves.

If JB and M were really about buying used and saving the difference {AKA frugality} they'd have clothe diapered all those kids. What a waste of money, plus an environmental refuse overload.

Open many cans, dump in pot, scoop onto paper plate- 3Xs a day- lazy.

I wish they'd just be honest and admit that most of their behaviors are driven by their own laziness. JB should have gotten his own ass out there and gotten multiple jobs to feed his family. Needs be, Michelle too. Lazy MOFOs.

Of course it's HE because women folk shouldn't be able to work :doh:

Actually, female students ARE permitted to work. They may be using "he" because they don't believe in singular "they".

All students are held to a bunch of restrictions including needing to get permission, a work pass, and not being allowed to work overnight or on Sundays. There are a few additional rules for women who live on campus, but one of them actually appears to be a leniency that men don't have.

* Dormitory ladies may not work a job during the Wednesday evening church service without administrative approval.

* Dormitory ladies may not work at a mall or fast-food restaurant. Some exceptions may be made by the administration on a case-by-case basis.

* Arrangements for dormitory students traveling to and from work must be indicated on the work pass and approved by the Director of Student Employment. Ladies may be permitted to travel alone to work if necessary.

Archived