IGNORED

Joseph Duggar starts College

luv2laugh

2014-2015 student handbook is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/409 ... 014-15.pdf

(dropbox doesn't show referers to their customer so there's no need to break this link)

Yes, there is a dress code.

The parental approval for interracial dating has been dropped.

Overall, my impression is that the rules around conduct, dress, and dating are equally oppressive to men and women.

This is my absolute favorite rule, which is about acceptable conduct in the dining room:

Holy shit! These rules are insane!! Who would want to go to this place? There are more rules at this school than at a children's summer camp or even my Catholic elementary school.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pensacola Christian College (the home of the A Beka homeschooling empire) also has extremely strict rules. They even have a goon squad that goes through everybody's stuff to make sure there are no forbidden books/music/magazines/electronics.

Yep, and gender-segregated sidewalks on some parts of campus! Two of my current colleagues used to teach at PCC, and they have some craaaaazy stories.

I wonder why he picked this place instead of College of the Ozarks... wouldn't that be closer to home and focus more on saving money?

Maybe College of the Ozarks wouldn't allow him to film while attending?

I'm sure we will see at least some of the decision making on 19KAC

Maybe College of the Ozarks wouldn't allow him to film while attending?

I'm sure we will see at least some of the decision making on 19KAC

I would bet money on that. Crown probably offered a bigger scholarship - or hell even free tuition plus room and board - in exchange for filming and free publicity. Just the fact that they mentioned he's going there, I bet their website is getting a ton of traffic, not just from us, but from leghumpers who think it would be a fantastic school to attend. (OMG if I go there I might see a Duggar and get filmed and maybe we could court and ohmigod ohmigod … ) Ozarks either didn't offer enough of a tuition discount or wouldn't allow for filming. And judging by some of the rules I've read here about that school, I'm going to go with the latter. They probably put such restrictions on who was allowed to film and what they could wear that TLC said no. I can't imagine either school is okay with the fact that the president of the company is not only a woman but a dirty homosexual as well. :roll:

I know College of the Ozark's is free but you have to work so many hours a week in exchange. For those that can handle that lifestyle it's not bad, you work and get a free education. So I'm surprised he didn't pick that school.

Holy shit! These rules are insane!! Who would want to go to this place? There are more rules at this school than at a children's summer camp or even my Catholic elementary school.

I went to a Catholic school (K to 8) for a couple years, and they had *less* rules than the public/secular grade and middle schools I attended! :shrug:

I went to a Catholic school (K to 8) for a couple years, and they had *less* rules than the public/secular grade and middle schools I attended! :shrug:

I'll agree with that. Except uniform rules (which may not apply anymore since a lot of the public schools near where I went to private schools have uniforms now), the rules at my catholic schools (I went to 2 different k-8 and one high school) were a lot more relaxed than the rules at the public schools my friends attended and the public schools I attended (I went to 3 elementary schools and 1 middle school).

edited because I failed at finishing an idea

I know College of the Ozark's is free but you have to work so many hours a week in exchange. For those that can handle that lifestyle it's not bad, you work and get a free education. So I'm surprised he didn't pick that school.

Seriously?? That sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Outside of the crazy christianity part.

I assume it had something to do with the work part...

I assume it had something to do with the work part...

That's probably it plus you have to show financial need which they might not be able to

Maybe they chose Crown because a bunch of the Bateses have attended, obviously approve, and Joseph has a place to visit/stay/whatever while he's there. Or he really wants the bible + auto mechanics program they offer. It also makes sense that he'd attend a college that will allow filming.

I bet Crown is going to get a lot more applications than they did pre-Joseph. And that the better Joseph likes it, and succeeds, the more success Crown will continue to have attracting the fundie hordes.

Anny, you may interested in a recent development in my community.

I used to see a doctor who was partnered with another GP. The other doctor ended up taking me as his patient.

Now they have apparently split up. Last time I went, there was a huge notice in their lobby that they were no longer taking Medicare, they would only take certain insurance plans, and the rest were paying cash. Now.. you can pay cash and then file a claim with your insurance on your own. Normally the dr office will file on your behalf and you pay the co-pay up fromt, something like $25 although the last year I was there it had jumped up to $45.

Ok so I have not been back, I don't care for that second doctor. A few months ago I got a letter from him. He is moving to a new office. He is no longer taking insurance but he is taking applications for new patients. He has developed some kind of system where the patient pays either a hefty annual fee or an even more expensive monthly fee, no matter how often or how little you see the dr.

If you are accepted into his office, in exchange for this fee you get nearly instant access to him, he might even come to your home or office. That is unheard of.

I have no idea how this is working out for him. This is a new way of doctoring but I can just about guarantee you his patients are now limited to people with enough DI to pay his annual fee. No idea how test or anything work but I was really blown away at the exclusivity of his program.

Have to go. work.

Sorry if this has been responded too, I haven't read through the whole thread yet!

This is "concierge medicine," only worth it if you're dirty rich and loooove the doc! Also, most of us medical peeps HATE when patients google their symptoms. WebMD is usually wrong. Ask around for a good PCP who takes your insurance.

Computer is too slow for me to type any more. :angry-banghead:

When I was a junior or senior in high school I went on an overnight trip to a Christian college (Taylor University in Ft. Wayne, IN. There's a larger campus in Upland that I've heard is more lenient) with my best friend because she was really interested but didn't want to go alone. I knew I'd never go there, but still went in open-minded. I sat in on a law class, and Oh My God. I sat there open-mouthed wondering what good debating and referencing the Bible was going to do for anyone who wanted to spend time in a courtroom. Every sentence spoken by instructor and students was all about the Bible.

And our dorm experience was insane. Rules, rules, rules. The girl who was letting us sleep on her floor treated us like we were 5. We definitely had far more freedoms living at home at the age of 17 than these kids did off at school.

When we left we blasted Nine Inch Nails and laughed the whole way home.

When I was a junior or senior in high school I went on an overnight trip to a Christian college (Taylor University in Ft. Wayne, IN. There's a larger campus in Upland that I've heard is more lenient) with my best friend because she was really interested but didn't want to go alone. I knew I'd never go there, but still went in open-minded. I sat in on a law class, and Oh My God. I sat there open-mouthed wondering what good debating and referencing the Bible was going to do for anyone who wanted to spend time in a courtroom. Every sentence spoken by instructor and students was all about the Bible.

And our dorm experience was insane. Rules, rules, rules. The girl who was letting us sleep on her floor treated us like we were 5. We definitely had far more freedoms living at home at the age of 17 than these kids did off at school.

When I was in high school, my one friend got me to go to her church with her and join their choir. I liked choir so I stayed for a while. They were planning this trip for some competition and the rules were absolutely ridiculous. A girl could not be in a boys room, or the other way around. No exceptions. I had been on school trips before and the deal was always they could be in each others rooms but the doors had to stay open and the windows (if they were any opening to the lobby area) had to be open as well. And it couldn't be just one on one. But that wasn't the rule that annoyed me. It was the pajama rule. You could not be seen outside of your room in your pajamas. You couldn't go get changed and come hang out in the lobby with a group of people, or go to the shop inside the hotel, or go to breakfast or anything. You could not leave your room if you were in pajamas. It completely blew my mind. Why does it matter if I walk in the hallway wearing pants made of denim instead of flannel? Weird.

Of course, when I was at my very liberal college, we had a tour weekend where a bunch of kids from the closest cities would come and spend the weekend with us. This one weekend in particular happen to coincide with our cross country team's naked run around campus. The entire mens cross country team started running all over campus, completely naked, running into the one of the main gathering areas where students always sat at night and only realized after the fact that they were doing this in front of high schoolers .. It was fucking hilarious.

When I was in high school, my one friend got me to go to her church with her and join their choir. I liked choir so I stayed for a while. They were planning this trip for some competition and the rules were absolutely ridiculous. A girl could not be in a boys room, or the other way around. No exceptions. I had been on school trips before and the deal was always they could be in each others rooms but the doors had to stay open and the windows (if they were any opening to the lobby area) had to be open as well. And it couldn't be just one on one. But that wasn't the rule that annoyed me. It was the pajama rule. You could not be seen outside of your room in your pajamas. You couldn't go get changed and come hang out in the lobby with a group of people, or go to the shop inside the hotel, or go to breakfast or anything. You could not leave your room if you were in pajamas. It completely blew my mind. Why does it matter if I walk in the hallway wearing pants made of denim instead of flannel? Weird.

Of course, when I was at my very liberal college, we had a tour weekend where a bunch of kids from the closest cities would come and spend the weekend with us. This one weekend in particular happen to coincide with our cross country team's naked run around campus. The entire mens cross country team started running all over campus, completely naked, running into the one of the main gathering areas where students always sat at night and only realized after the fact that they were doing this in front of high schoolers .. It was fucking hilarious.

The pj rule might have had to do with what kinds of clothes girls call pjs. I had a lot of friends in high school who would have been walking the halls in teddies and such, if given the opportunity.

"Also, destructive criticism of others or of authority is not acceptable."...um, what?

Disciplinary action from the college if you receive a speeding ticket from local authorities.

If one is dressed for work and tries to eat in the dining hall, he or she will be forced to sit at a special table for "workers"

No "capped sleeves", ladies. Even the Duggar and Bates ladies would need some wardrobe adjustment there!

There was no way Joseph was ever going to the College of the Ozarks. It's a real, accredited college that has actual standards for admission that the Duggar kids most likely couldn't meet. Besides it's way too liberal. There is a picture on the website of girls in jeans and one of a girl with her arm around a guy's shoulder! :shock: No way they were going allow Joseph to be exposed to stuff like that!

Some of the rules in these colleges are truly insane.

I mean, I do get that it is a difficult transition for some people who grew up with very strict and sheltering parents when they leave home. But if those colleges were truly interested in giving them a good education and preparing them for adult life, they could handle it a lot better.

Like this Crown College could at first scrap the idiotic rules (like no interracial dating without parental permission) and then try to lessen the rules with each year a student spends there. So while there could be stricter rules for freshmen, senior should be given a lot more freedom and self-responsibilty.

But that of course could lead to students making free choices and forming their own opinions on things, so fundies can't let that happen.

"Also, destructive criticism of others or of authority is not acceptable."...um, what?

Disciplinary action from the college if you receive a speeding ticket from local authorities.

If one is dressed for work and tries to eat in the dining hall, he or she will be forced to sit at a special table for "workers"

No "capped sleeves", ladies. Even the Duggar and Bates ladies would need some wardrobe adjustment there!

I take the "destructive criticism of...authority is not acceptable" to mean don't question the rules or the makers of the rules. Evar.

It's just couched in "destructive criticism of others" to make it seem palatable.

I take the "destructive criticism of...authority is not acceptable" to mean don't question the rules or the makers of the rules. Evar.

It's just couched in "destructive criticism of others" to make it seem palatable.

I think they meant the opposite of constructive criticism, rather than questioning. Since constructive criticism is "criticism performed with a compassionate attitude towards the person qualified for criticism," I think they meant criticism that is rude, obscene, unhelpful, unproductive, hurtful, etc.

:lol: I live in a college town and that sounds more like what I'm used to. I think that was part of what was so mind-boggling about the xtian school. I had been to plenty of parties on campus before being subjected to that place and it was impossible for me to understand why anyone would want to subject themselves to that. And it wasn't near as bad as Crown.

Like this Crown College could at first scrap the idiotic rules (like no interracial dating without parental permission) and then try to lessen the rules with each year a student spends there.

They actually did scrap that one, or at least remove it from the handbook. The image of the handbook that went around is from 2009; the 2014 one I posted does not contain that ridiculous and backwards rule.

Archived