IGNORED

Alyssa Bates/Webster is wearing PANTS!!

jinseng

I predict the tank tops/modesty panels will be ditched as summer approaches and Florida becomes a sweltering wasteland of gross humidity and 35+ degrees temperatures at night (that's temperatures in C so whatever the F equivalent is, it's FUCKING HOT)

However, I don't think she will post pictures of herself in those outfits on social media nor wear them around her parents. Don't forget that the first pictures found of her in jeans were not posted by her to her own social media accounts. Even the photo she shared from her maternity shoot was one where she was in a dress, not one of the (many!) photos of her and John where she was wearing jeans and a cute blue sleeveless top. She faced a bit of backlash from some uppity prudish cunts when it was discovered she had started to wear WHORE PANTS.

So, while I hope she DGAF and wears whatever the hell she wants most of the time, I think she'll continue to be careful about what is posted online and what she wears around her family.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She sure didn't waste any time. But really what's so defrauding about being sleeveless? That's nothing, IMHO, compared to the other ways one can be really, truly defrauding that seriously screams NIKE!

You don't want to defraud guys by causing them to imagine armpit sex. :naughty:

Thank you for that image, now my breakfast is all over my laptop :oops:

same here :o :lol:

where and when did Kelly mention that sleeves are the most important thing to her when it comes to modest clothing?

BTW - Alyssa looks great and I really like that she seems to follow her own path. Or John's.. but anyway it is not her parents! She could be a great rolemodel to her younger siblings.

I really don't get much of a headship vibe from John. I can see Alyssa mentioning she wanted to wear pants and sleeveless tops/dresses after moving away from home and him just be all "Sure, whatever makes you happy." I doubt he or she felt she had to ask permission to do it.

same here :o :lol:

where and when did Kelly mention that sleeves are the most important thing to her when it comes to modest clothing?

BTW - Alyssa looks great and I really like that she seems to follow her own path. Or John's.. but anyway it is not her parents! She could be a great rolemodel to her younger siblings.

it was a comment on the blog aaaaaaages ago. like, before the kids moved out and someone asked about their modesty standards. kelly said she doesn't mind about pants, all she asks of her girls is that they are covered with some sort of sleeve.

thank you @actuallyjessica

And I also don't get the headship-vibe from John, but since he was raised ATI people probably expect him to be the godly leader from now and then.

thank you @actuallyjessica

And I also don't get the headship-vibe from John, but since he was raised ATI people probably expect him to be the godly leader from now and then.

I don't get the headship vibe from him either but being ATI no doubt got him the seal of approval from Gil not to mention that he's a politician's son. I think that he was a son of a plumber it would have been harder for him. Though Gil might try to grift plumbing services, the plumbing in Gil and Kelly's house no doubt gets a workout. He's certainly taking advantage of Chad's being handy, IMHO.

nice find, jinseng!

In the Nightline special about her wedding, isn't there a scene where some of her visiting sisters gasp when they look in her closet in Florida? I'm convinced now that they were gasping at multiple pairs of pants.

Finally, here she is with a sundress without a t-shirt underneath!!!!! :shock: :pink-shock:

Okay, she does have a tank top on underneath, but it's hardly noticeable. :D

10384902_381204118734173_5780541751770106552_n.jpg?oh=546964ea9b6108ea613e970d8ab1bd8c&oe=55B901DE

I can't fault her for this tank at all because if she didn't have it she would be showing a good amount of cleavage. I wouldn't be comfortable in that much cleavage either- especially with pregnancy boobs. And you are right- it's hardly noticeable and still low cut to make it part of the outfit.

I don't get the headship vibe from him either but being ATI no doubt got him the seal of approval from Gil not to mention that he's a politician's son. I think that he was a son of a plumber it would have been harder for him. Though Gil might try to grift plumbing services, the plumbing in Gil and Kelly's house no doubt gets a workout. He's certainly taking advantage of Chad's being handy, IMHO.

Ha! If Gil could get free plumbing services, he probably wouldn't be too picky about one of his kids marrying one. I wouldn't be surprised if Gil has John Webster fix their heating and air every time he visits, though. When the Bates need a new unit, I'm sure Gil will try to get a free one through him too

I'm glad she chose the tank top in a coordinating color that makes it look like it blends in.

I'm as far from fundie as they come and I still wear tank tops/bralettes/bandeaus as modesty panels. Personal preference. AS someone who's far from well endowed (a solid B at my heaviest) I find low cut shirts show too much. (I also have a problem with the misses department as they're cut for better endowed women). Faulting her (or any other fundie) for wearing modesty panels/tank tops under things would be an act of hypocrisy for me.

(In the winter the tanks are for warmth and often the first of 3-4 layers. In the summer more for modesty).

I'm glad she chose the tank top in a coordinating color that makes it look like it blends in.

I'm as far from fundie as they come and I still wear tank tops/bralettes/bandeaus as modesty panels. Personal preference. AS someone who's far from well endowed (a solid B at my heaviest) I find low cut shirts show too much. (I also have a problem with the misses department as they're cut for better endowed women). Faulting her (or any other fundie) for wearing modesty panels/tank tops under things would be an act of hypocrisy for me.

(In the winter the tanks are for warmth and often the first of 3-4 layers. In the summer more for modesty).

I agree with this completely, especially the part in parentheses, 19 cats. It sounds like we have very similar clothing issues going on. I literally live in bralettes and tanks. And, I would wear that outfit the same as Alyssa. I would feel uncomfortable without a tank underneath. We all have our own modesty codes. She actually has a really adorable style for being raised with such close minded standards. Most of the time I'm like "yup, I'd wear that".

I really don't get much of a headship vibe from John. I can see Alyssa mentioning she wanted to wear pants and sleeveless tops/dresses after moving away from home and him just be all "Sure, whatever makes you happy." I doubt he or she felt she had to ask permission to do it.

John's family is from an ATI family with different standards that the Bates family. The women in his family wear shorts and pants. There was no reason for permission because she knew his family standard when she chose him and her parents knew it as well. It might have even been part of the appeal of John.

I agree with this completely, especially the part in parentheses, 19 cats. It sounds like we have very similar clothing issues going on. I literally live in bralettes and tanks. And, I would wear that outfit the same as Alyssa. I would feel uncomfortable without a tank underneath. We all have our own modesty codes. She actually has a really adorable style for being raised with such close minded standards. Most of the time I'm like "yup, I'd wear that".

She's come a long way since those matching frumpers on 17 Kids. I think she and Erin have evolved into a pretty modern style, but I would give Alyssa the edge because she took it 1 step further and wears pants and (uncovered) tank tops. Ok that and Alyssa's wedding dress did not have awful alterations like Erin's did. But if I were the same size as Alyssa, I'd shop from her closet (she's much skinnier than me, and I'm guessing she's not very tall either).

Something tells me she's not the last Bates girl that is going to be wearing pants. I highly doubt Michaella will (she's the most conservative of the older girls) or Erin for that matter, but I can see Tori and Carlin turning to Alyssa for advice on wearing pants once they're married (I can't tell with any of the younger ones). (I would love to see whoever Joseph Duggar is pursuing wear pants-- just to be a fly on the wall when JB/M walks in).

Erin, Carlin and Tori are built a bit thicker through the hips and thighs than Alyssa is. I wonder if they are comfortable in skirts because it sort of camouflages that. No, I don't think any of those girls are heavy, but given how many young women are sensitive about their weight, even when there is no reason, I wondered that. I know for myself, I will tend to wear skirts/dresses more when I am not fitting into my pants very well. All of the Bates girls are so damn pretty. I think the younger ones are going to be real beauties.

Kelly is a big gal, and quite thick through hips and thighs and I think some of the girls take after her basic body shape.

Just like I think Lawson's body shape is exactly like his dads, minus about 50 or so pounds. Trace and Nathan must take after Kelly's side as they are longer and leaner.

Last nights Q and A was very telling in that both Zach and Erin (and the others) refused to stray from the party line and admit they wanted to limit their family size. Same with the other questions about courting. They're still the Borg.

Does anyone else get the impression from the show Bringing up Bates that Alyssa kinda resents her family, and is a bit embarrassed by them? Its like she's trying really hard not to roll her eyes every time she talks about them. I also found it really unusual (at least in their world) that she waited the full 12 weeks before informing her family she was pregnant. The whole family seemed really hurt by her secrecy. Although I sympathise with her situation, I find her demeanour around them really off and it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

I think you mean you don't want those boys to see any side boob ;)

I almost always wear a shirt underneath other , though it's never about the boobs for me. I need a "modesty panel" for the bottom because clothing designers don't understand that women can be above a size A/B and that larger boobs means less coverage. I always end up with my shirts ending above my pants. I look ridiculous.

So the tank tops/other shirts afford me a feeling of security from people totally judging my love handles.

Does anyone else get the impression from the show Bringing up Bates that Alyssa kinda resents her family, and is a bit embarrassed by them? Its like she's trying really hard not to roll her eyes every time she talks about them. I also found it really unusual (at least in their world) that she waited the full 12 weeks before informing her family she was pregnant. The whole family seemed really hurt by her secrecy. Although I sympathise with her situation, I find her demeanour around them really off and it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

Kelly must have been hurt by that but I guess with so many kids you never get a chance to develop a confidante/friend relationship.

Kelly must have been hurt by that but I guess with so many kids you never get a chance to develop a confidante/friend relationship.

Also, with that many kids in the family there's no guarantees that all of them will agree with Mommy and Daddy and end up all being a mini-me towing the parental line.

Alyssa seems to be reveling in her freedom. Now maybe she held off announcing for other reasons than it being an exercise of her freedom after years of living in an over-involved family. Might have been because Zach and Whit's baby was due and also Erin's miscarriages might have made Alyssa hyper aware that things could go wrong. Whatever the reason, I hardly see her holding off on telling her family a matter of "secrecy" though they won't see it that way. It's her and John's business when and how to tell her family, whatever the underlying reasons.

It could be her demeanour could stem from a healthier set of boundaries, but I am looking for clips to see her and get a better feel for myself.

And it's possible that Gil's grifting is a matter of embarrassment for some of the kids now that they are older. I don't think everyone is oh so willing to continue to hand out to the family, in fact, I suspect a lot of folks are tired of it. It's possible that some of the kids have run into that attitude. Alyssa worked at a flower shop, so she would be dealing with the local public. Wonder if she was subjected to this attitude or comments about her family, which might explain any embarassment.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived