IGNORED

Alyssa Bates/Webster is wearing PANTS!!

jinseng

Ironic, most people walk around without anyone even noticing if they have upper arms or knees showing and most of us could not care less or even notice whose upper arms or knees are showing.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ironic, most people walk around without anyone even noticing if they have upper arms or knees showing and most of us could not care less or even notice whose upper arms or knees are showing.

exactly! like on the last episode of 19kac, the birth special. jill's knees were blurred while she was getting a pedicure. would anyone in that salon have raised an eyebrow at anyone else's knees showing? no. they make it a big deal... and now that alyssa is stepping away from making it a big deal, the big deal makers can't seem to get past it...

Fun story! because, oh the irony...

The other day, I was wearing a dress that just so happened to be fundie approved

(like, it comes right to my knee and can button up above my chest, and has long sleeves, it's loose... actually it's a jean dress, but it's cute. i promise i'm not a secret fundie.)

it's a fundie dream dress kinda

and guess what- i had a major wardrobe malfunction!

i was picking up a package and some sort of combination of a large box and my water bottle somehow managed to lift my dress up above my crotch before i knew what was happening :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

if i had been wearing shorts and a tank top i would have been more "modest" :ew:

just sayin'

something for the frumper lovers to think about

covering more does not equal "modest"

also Alyssa can wear whatever she wants and post it wherever she wants and i like her taste in clothes

The other day, I was wearing a dress that just so happened to be fundie approved

(like, it comes right to my knee and can button up above my chest, and has long sleeves, it's loose... actually it's a jean dress, but it's cute. i promise i'm not a secret fundie.)

i was picking up a package and some sort of combination of a large box and my water bottle somehow managed to lift my dress up above my crotch before i knew what was happening :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

if i had been wearing shorts and a tank top i would have been more "modest" :ew:

just sayin'

also Alyssa can wear whatever she wants and post it wherever she wants and i like her taste in clothes

I wear lots of skirts because I hate pants and clothes (other than spandex) that rub or constrict...anyhoo, I always wear bike or running shorts underneath (old Catholic school training). I have been known to get my skirt tucked up in the back when using the facilities. Yep, indeed.

I wear lots of skirts because I hate pants and clothes (other than spandex) that rub or constrict...anyhoo, I always wear bike or running shorts underneath (old Catholic school training). I have been known to get my skirt tucked up in the back when using the facilities. Yep, indeed.

I wear spandex shorts when I'm worried about chub rub (when I'm gonna be walking for a distance) but otherwise tend to not unless the dress/skirt is see thru. Also it is TOO HOT here for any extra clothing right now.

Same, though. I never ever wear jeans because I feel so constricted. Leggings (and sweatpants) are the only pants I feel comfortable in.

I hate pants with the white hot passion of a thousand blazing suns, so I guess that pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole pants-issue. :? :lol:

she'll be damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. people will say she's reverted back to her parents rules if she's only seen wearing sleeves and skirts. and if she decides to wear jeans and sleeveless tops she's pretty much branded a harlot by the fanatics.

i don't think she should have to censor herself, there is nothing to censor. she's not walking around naked. by having this kind of viewpoint is basically shaming her choices to wear pants and show her *gasp* upper arms.

I was thinking more along the lines of shorts, tank tops, normal swimsuits at the pool and beach, that sort of thing. I hope very much that she wears sportswear appropriate for the hot climate and that she goes swimming in a normal swimsuit.

That's what I was referring to. I probably would not post photos in a swimsuit if I had all the baggage a Bates daughter has... but maybe that's just me, or maybe she never thinks about a swimsuit. IDK what her opinion is on genuine sportswear for Florida weather. I know what mine was, and I wore a string bikini when I felt like it, and shorts most of the rest of the time when I was off work. My husband and I had a fabulous time when we lived there, and I have great memories of that time when I was young :).

Alyssa has posted pics of her at the beach with John. He wears board shorts and a t-shirt, she wears what looks like a short sleeved t-shirt (not sure what she wears on the bottom, but on Bringing Up Bates her knees were showing but it was hard to see if it was shorts or a short skirt/swim skirt due to the distance she was from the camera). You can see them here: instagram.com/p/wHV9YlpAmW

Alyssa has posted pics of her at the beach with John. He wears board shorts and a t-shirt, she wears what looks like a short sleeved t-shirt (not sure what she wears on the bottom, but on Bringing Up Bates her knees were showing but it was hard to see if it was shorts or a short skirt/swim skirt due to the distance she was from the camera). You can see them here: instagram.com/p/wHV9YlpAmW

Yes, but my point is that I think Alyssa's style and adult sense of self is still evolving. I've seen past photos, but I'm hoping she keeps on loosening the chains of her fundy upbringing and becomes the rebel role model for the rest of the young adult female fundies like the Duggars and the rest of the Bates girls. ( I know there are some families who are hopeless, like the Maxwells).

Nobody should have to wear pitiful swim skirts or dresses and long legging things to a lovely beach or pool unless it's their own personal choice.

I consider a one piece swimsuit to be very modest. I'm all about beauty, style and comfort, too, and I'm older in years, but not attitude, than Alyssa's mother

I feel that Alyssa's self-confidence and her comments that she is not responsible for men's feelings about her body are much more encouraging regarding her leaving fundiedom - you can be a fundie in more revealing clothes but I feel like Alyssa as a person is moving towards conservative Christianity.

I LOVE that she can acknowledge that it's not her f*cking problem if some random person she does not even know looks at her and imagines her naked in Playboy. It doesn't matter if you're wearing a bikini or a frumper, you can't control someone else's imagination. And good luck trying. Not. Her. Problem. Hope her siblings can pick up on that.

Florida is no place for floorlength denim skirts and cardigans. She looks great, happy, healthy, radiant. Go Alyssa.

Especially when she has been taught her whole life that women's clothing choices have EVERYTHING to do with "defrauding" men and men are not responsible in any way. Kelly must be shitting bricks.

Especially when she has been taught her whole life that women's clothing choices have EVERYTHING to do with "defrauding" men and men are not responsible in any way. Kelly must be shitting bricks.

oh, but according to people here the "small" changes we've seen from alyssa mean nothing because her in-laws are sinner-hating fundies and they wear pants. :roll:

oh, but according to people here the "small" changes we've seen from alyssa mean nothing because her in-laws are sinner-hating fundies and they wear pants. :roll:

To be fair, a lot of that reaction was to the fact that Alyssa wore a shirt without sleeves and there was a reaction of "She's broken free! I think she'll use birth control and let her kids go to college!".

While Alyssa has shown that she intends to live her own life especially in regards to fashion, I don't think that means that she will completely leave her parents' values behind. Certainly she disagrees with them on modesty issues, but it does not follow that she must disagree with them on anything else. She married into a conservative and political family, so it stands to reason that she did not intend to leave conservative Christianity all together, just that she wanted to go more mainstream.

I think what we can tell is that Alyssa thinks for herself, has her own values, and is strong enough to follow them in spite of differences with her parents. Will she disagree with her parents on other things? Most likely. But only time will tell WHAT those differences will be and how far she will differ from them.

I still don't think that the changes in Alyssa's wardrobe mean that she'll use NFP/birth control, encourage Allie Jane to go to an accredited college away from home, or encourage Allie to have a career other than being a SAHM. She might. But sleeveless tops don't have much to do with that.

Parents who send their daughters on trips with Gothard are not decent people. People who make it their mission to strip away our rights and turn America into a Fundamentalist Christian nation aren't decent people.

Also people who are pro-choice, birth control, etc. aren't forcing people to do anything. We simply believe these are rights that should be available, not forced upon anyone. The same cannot be said about fundies. They want what they believe forced on the entire country.

Oh, BTW, wearing pants isn't an indicator that Alyssa is detoxing from the kool-aid. More and more fundie women are ditching skirts as a way to lure people in. It's a facade plain and simple.

I agree. And, let's say that they all stopped interfering in others lives via politics...they'd still be teaching these horrible things to their children. Their kids would be brainwashed into a religion that polices thought, as well as deed. That's just horrible.

just sayin'

Ha! I had a similar experience over the weekend. I tried on a cute, floor length summer skirt. Then I turned around in the mirror, and realized it was so sheer you could see my underwear. That one went back on the rack.

Agree with everyone else, Alyssa can wear whatever she pleases. She's probably more stylish than I am.

Does anyone think that any of the Duggar girls see that she is wearing non-Gothard approved clothes and think,, "I'm doing that as soon as I can."? I can see Jinger loosening up a bit. Honestly I really still can see Jessa in 5 years with a baby on her hip and rocking short shorts and high heels. :lol:

I think it's also important to note that she is just 20 still. Most young adults her age are getting some form of education, or living on their own, and are usually single - not married with a new baby. Even her parents didn't get steeped into the ATI way until after they finished college, had a few kids, and were solidly into their 20s. So what she is doing at this moment, just a year out of her family home, doesn't mean she'll be going in one direction or the other in five years. Hopefully these incremental steps with fashion mean there is the possibility she will not go the ATI "education" route with her own kids, especially since it's on the downslide (there is hope!), but only time will tell.

Good for Alyssa to sling it right back onto the people criticizing her. This does give me a bit of hope that she will continue to make small changes and find some sort of middle ground between the batspit craziness of ATI and mainstream life.

Don't know if anyone's noticed so far or if it's been discussed, but Alyssa is friends on Facebook with Suze Keller.

No other Duggars, Kellers, Wallers etc. among her friends, but Suze.

Suze, Alyssa, if you girls ever pass by my house (the likelihood of which is pretty low, though) please stop by so we can have coffee, cake and lotsa lotsa girl talk. :dance:

Ha! I had a similar experience over the weekend. I tried on a cute, floor length summer skirt. Then I turned around in the mirror, and realized it was so sheer you could see my underwear. That one went back on the rack.

Agree with everyone else, Alyssa can wear whatever she pleases. She's probably more stylish than I am.

Boooo :(

I love the look of light summer maxi dresses and skirts but most of them are so thin that they constantly get stuck in my butt crack!

Don't know if anyone's noticed so far or if it's been discussed, but Alyssa is friends on Facebook with Suze Keller. No other Duggars, Kellers, Wallers etc. among her friends, but Suze.

I find it interesting that Dakota Paine's job is listed as at "Royal Beach Tan." Would not have expected a wife of a fundie to list she has a job, much less one where people might wear next to nothing (while tanning). Yes, they are less strict as fundies than many of the other ATI lot, but it's still a bit surprising. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall if they ever start a "Fundie Fringe" club (Alyssa, Dakota, Suze, and others like them).

I love the look of light summer maxi dresses and skirts but most of them are so thin that they constantly get stuck in my butt crack!

You could solve this problem by sewing (or buying) 2 - 3 underskirts, they are made of a kind of silky material and very comfy. I don´t sew them to a certain skirt, I wear them just underneath and wash them, so I can wear them more often and with every skirt I want to.

Don't know if anyone's noticed so far or if it's been discussed, but Alyssa is friends on Facebook with Suze Keller.

Suze, Alyssa, if you girls ever pass by my house (the likelihood of which is pretty low, though) please stop by so we can have coffee, cake and lotsa lotsa girl talk. :dance:

The reason for this is that Suze Keller is friends with almost all fundies she knows. She befriended Alyssa and Alyssa accepted.

:shock:

Great for Alyssa! she's friend with the bad girls hahaha :lol: :nenner:

I think it's a beautiful sign of Alyssas maturity. A maturity that she also showed in her comments on instagram. She can see beyond the fundie brainwashing machinery of ATI/IBLP.

Go Alyssa! :clap: :clap:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived