IGNORED

Alyssa Bates/Webster is wearing PANTS!!

jinseng

Notable reply from Kelly on instagram:

"Alyssa, I'm counting the days to see y'all!!! Missing your beautiful smile so much! I'm grateful you have a sweet response in the midst of criticism. Keep your eyes on Jesus for comfort and direction! I love you! MomB"

+1 for defending Alyssa, even though it was for her "sweet response" :roll:

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember living in Florida and it being in the 60s, but my classmates and I were all dressed in snow suits because we were adamant that it was so cold we would freeze to death otherwise.

But now that I live in CT, it can be 16-30* outside and I'm fine in just a long sleeve shirt (provided it's not windy).

My daughter went to college in Vermont. She didn't put on pants unless it was below 0.

'Year of Living Biblically' is awesome and most definitely worth full price. It's hilarious, informative and insightful. A.J. Jacobs is a great writer so check out his other books as well - he wrote one about reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica (I think that was it) and one about trying to follow every bit of health advice.

Yep, The Know-It-All is about his effort to read through the Brittanica. I got that one for Christmas a few years ago, but I don't know which family member was the giver. I do like to be surrounded by open volumes of the encyclopedia.

I thought that was the case but I wasn't sure and I didn't want to make the accusations without being 100%. But I'm remembering that now that you mention it. Thanks for clearing that up.

What was Whitney's situation exactly? What sort of abuse did she experience?

What was Whitney's situation exactly? What sort of abuse did she experience?

We don't know. Only that she was accused of stealing from a foster mom and she was in foster care "after the beating that her parents gave her" according to her towns online message board

Whitney was living with adopted parents, or her friends parents who were her guardians. Weren't her biological parents killed in a car crash? Or was that the friend who died and she then went to live with the friends parents? Either way, she wasn't living with her parents and had a difficult childhood. I think her family - the people who were caring for her when she met Zach - were just happy that she found someone who loved her and wanted to care for her. Plus, this is TN we're talking about. That's practically the christian headquarters outside of TX.

I was just commenting pants were that big of a deal to them.

And I live in TN, so I am pretty aware of our culture here.

Whitney very well could just be wearing skirts to make an effort to fit in with and respect Zach's parents. Since there are so many rumors (and, well, they are probably true) of her being, uh, not Kelly's first choice, she may really be attempting to go the extra mile to show them that she respects their wishes and is willing to make some changes for them.

She wouldn't be the first person to have to go through all sorts of stupid acrobatics just to please their in laws!

I suspect that is the case....which demonstrates that pants are in fact a big deal

I like the maternity photo collage in their future nursery. At the very least, this means that little Allie's shoulders and legs won't be sexualized or shamed, like some other poor fundie children.

instagram.com/p/y0HrXYpAvc/?modal=true

I don't remember the original source, but I remember reading here that Whitney became "convicted" to wear skirts after talking with with Kelly and the other Bates ladies.

I don't remember the original source, but I remember reading here that Whitney became "convicted" to wear skirts after talking with with Kelly and the other Bates ladies.

I wonder if she just said that so as to not "rock the boat". There were pictures on their honeymoon that showed that she was clearly wearing pants for some of their activities. I mean, sure, they were active things like hiking, but only means only....and we've seen the Bates girls in skirts on hikes.

Anyways, my point is that she was never as strict as the Bates on it. I wouldn't be surprised if she starts wearing pants again after the criticism of Alyssa (from others) dies down.

Kelly mentioned that in one of her comments on the blog while Whitney and Zach were engaged. I'm way too tired/lazy to look it up right now because I can't for the life of me remember what post it was under, but, yeah I also remember Kelly saying something along the lines of Whitney spending time with their family and becoming "convicted" that it was the right thing to do.

I wonder if she just said that so as to not "rock the boat". There were pictures on their honeymoon that showed that she was clearly wearing pants for some of their activities. I mean, sure, they were active things like hiking, but only means only....and we've seen the Bates girls in skirts on hikes.

Anyways, my point is that she was never as strict as the Bates on it. I wouldn't be surprised if she starts wearing pants again after the criticism of Alyssa (from others) dies down.

Hmmm.... I thought it was speculation about the pants. I recall that because some of the shots were hiding the body and some of the shadows seemed to reflect not-skirts easily that it was only speculation.

Hmmm.... I thought it was speculation about the pants. I recall that because some of the shots were hiding the body and some of the shadows seemed to reflect not-skirts easily that it was only speculation.

You could be right. It's been so long I might be remembering wrong.

I believe the first picture from this blog post:

zachandwhitney.blogspot.ca/2013/12/more-from-our-hikes-in-waimea.html

is the one where it's pretty clear Whitney is wearing yoga pants/biking shorts during their hike. That or the WORLD'S TIGHTEST SKIRT, but most likely pants/shorts of some kind. It even looks like the fabric on Zach's lap is her skirt as you can sort of see the fly/button up area and it's the same colour as the skirt she's wearing in full body shots. She most likely wore the shorts during their entire honeymoon and only threw on the skirts when they knew full body shots were going to be taken. Hell, I suspect she's still wearing pants at home with Zach and around her family and goes skirts/dresses only around her crazy in-laws. If it keeps the peace it's probably more than worth it to her.

Also, +1 to her for wearing proper shoes for hiking.

There were clothes I wouldn't wear, things I wouldn't say or do around my MIL for a long time...until the crazy really showed and I told her to get the fuck out of my house and my life. And yes, I did it to keep the peace. I've not seen nor spoken to her now for almost 2 years and I feel MUCH better (being on the other side of the country doesn't hurt any either).

If Whitney specifically packed pants to wear on their honeymoon, I am pretty sure she was never 'convicted' to wear skirts-only in the first place. I think Kelly is really starting to realise just how stupid and unnecessary and fickle these rules are. Zac was forced to confront his belief system head on after the failed courtship with Sarah. He realised how retarded he was with women, and how stupid it is to expect you can forge a genuine connection with someone who lives inter-state when you are constantly monitored via text and chaperoned everywhere and forbidden to touch etc... He and Whitney didn't follow those stupid rules. He made a point to enjoy dates with her alone, and keep their text messages and phone calls private. Now that it's out in the open that Alyssa is wearing pants and Gil and Kelly are being forced to get the f**k over it, it really won't be long until Whitney reverts back to pants in public. Its too bad they had a baby boy, or we could have enjoyed watching whitney bring her baby girl over in a pair of frilly pink floral pants (gasp!!). how unfeminine.... god would have been so pissed.

If Whitney specifically packed pants to wear on their honeymoon, I am pretty sure she was never 'convicted' to wear skirts-only in the first place. I think Kelly is really starting to realise just how stupid and unnecessary and fickle these rules are. Zac was forced to confront his belief system head on after the failed courtship with Sarah. He realised how retarded he was with women, and how stupid it is to expect you can forge a genuine connection with someone who lives inter-state when you are constantly monitored via text and chaperoned everywhere and forbidden to touch etc... He and Whitney didn't follow those stupid rules. He made a point to enjoy dates with her alone, and keep their text messages and phone calls private. Now that it's out in the open that Alyssa is wearing pants and Gil and Kelly are being forced to get the f**k over it, it really won't be long until Whitney reverts back to pants in public. Its too bad they had a baby boy, or we could have enjoyed watching whitney bring her baby girl over in a pair of frilly pink floral pants (gasp!!). how unfeminine.... god would have been so pissed.

Maybe. Or Whitney will continue to wear the skirts around her in-laws out of a courtesy. Also I wouldn't say Gil and Kelly are really forced to accept Alyssa's choices until Alyssa is shown at their house wearing pants. as far as we know, she's still respecting her parents' wishes by wearing skirts at their house.

When I heard of Whitney being "convicted to wear skirts" I took it as her placating her future in-law family at least for a time. I don't think that Zach has any problem with her wearing pants and she probably wears them at home and wears skirts around her in-laws or in public since she and Zach live near her in-laws she might not want to run into them wearing pants and the ensuing stupid accusations of defrauding if she does. If Zach and Whitney ever move further away, such as another state, she will do another Alyssa.

I suspect that Gil and Kelly were probably upset when they found out that Zach had met someone outside of their circle and was seeing her outside the confines of courtship/dating with a purpose with no chaperone. Even with lessons learned from the prior failed courtship, these particular circumstances would still be challenging to them. Therefore Whit might have been smart enough to along with the whole skirts business rather than make a big deal because once she was under her and Zach's own roof, who cares.

Maybe. Or Whitney will continue to wear the skirts around her in-laws out of a courtesy. Also I wouldn't say Gil and Kelly are really forced to accept Alyssa's choices until Alyssa is shown at their house wearing pants. as far as we know, she's still respecting her parents' wishes by wearing skirts at their house.

I could see the married women continuing to always wear skirts when they visit their parents. It's not like going from full- on Amish plain dressing to an average 20 something wardrobe. They will likely always have skirts and dresses they wear anyway that they can plan on wearing for visits. Just like many grown adults - even middle aged adults! -- will refrain from smoking or drinking or swearing around their parents if those are things their parents object to.

Also I think the Bates, both Junior and Senior, might have an easier time adjusting to pants wearing women since they seem very close to Kelly's mom and family, and those women all wear pants. I would think the super isolationist types who cut off any family they don't approve of have a harder time with any of these sorts of changes. I would assume Kelly is still dissappointed, like most parents are if their kid chooses to disregard something they felt was an important part of their family philosophy --- like when one of my kids considered voting for Ron Paul :shock:

But disappointed or disapproving of an individual choice doesn't necessarily need to reach the level of hand wringing over where they went wrong, or losing sleep pondering the choice. It can just be -- disappointed in that one choice, and not at all impact the relationship.

Zach couldn't have had too much of an issue with pants. I believe that Sonic requires servers wear pants as part of the uniform, so it's almost certain Whit was wearing pants when they met and got to know each other.

I believe the first picture from this blog post:

zachandwhitney.blogspot.ca/2013/12/more-from-our-hikes-in-waimea.html

is the one where it's pretty clear Whitney is wearing yoga pants/biking shorts during their hike. That or the WORLD'S TIGHTEST SKIRT, but most likely pants/shorts of some kind. It even looks like the fabric on Zach's lap is her skirt as you can sort of see the fly/button up area and it's the same colour as the skirt she's wearing in full body shots. She most likely wore the shorts during their entire honeymoon and only threw on the skirts when they knew full body shots were going to be taken. Hell, I suspect she's still wearing pants at home with Zach and around her family and goes skirts/dresses only around her crazy in-laws. If it keeps the peace it's probably more than worth it to her.

Also, +1 to her for wearing proper shoes for hiking.

It just shows how people see things differently! See, that looks like a lycra-type skirt draped between her legs and makes me think that if she is wearing yoga pants, her legs are the size of a toothpick! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zach couldn't have had too much of an issue with pants. I believe that Sonic requires servers wear pants as part of the uniform, so it's almost certain Whit was wearing pants when they met and got to know each other.

I don't know about Sonic, but I know a lot of places with uniforms will have a long skirt option for employees whose religious beliefs require it. Or maybe even if they just choose to? Not sure about that part. I have seen grocery clerks and fast food workers in my area wear them. These particular workers also wear hair coverings and, I believe, are Muslim. But I would assume it would apply to any religion.

I don't know about Sonic, but I know a lot of places with uniforms will have a long skirt option for employees whose religious beliefs require it. Or maybe even if they just choose to? Not sure about that part. I have seen grocery clerks and fast food workers in my area wear them. These particular workers also wear hair coverings and, I believe, are Muslim. But I would assume it would apply to any religion.

Since discrimination based on religion is illegal they would have to allow skirts. A friend of mine is an RN and used to work at a Mennonite nursing home. She had to wear scrubs skirts. Every female there did regardless of their religion. Scrubs skirts are just creepy!

The Bates female cousins (who live near the beloved Bates grandparents shown at Whitney's baby shower on their show) from South Carolina wear pants, and even leggings and regular bathing suits as well, so both sides of the family have women and girls in pants. They'd have to cut off a lot of people if they were going to shun females who wear pants. And that branch of the Bates are definitely fundie lite, or are at least are Christian homeschoolers, depending on your definition.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived