IGNORED

Jill Duggar Pregnant! CONFIRMED! MERGED

actuallyjessica

J'Chelle always claimed she had massive systemic yeast issues and was only able to nurse for six months. I used to know an IBCLC who had done some consultation with her and said it was rare but legit. J'Chelle introduced solids early to avoid some of the formula usage when that six month tanking always occurred. Jill's midwifery training ought to have exposed her to the evidence based concept that nursing should be exclusive for six months and as long after as mother and child both want. She should know AAP says a minimum of 12 months but AAFP and WHO both say a minimum of two years is better.

You have got to be kidding me!?!?!?!

Giving solids to save on formula is criminal and child abuse. Solids won't chnage the gut flora for a formula fed baby the way they would for a breastfed baby, but they don't have the mix of nutrients and calories a young baby needs. If they're introduced before six mnths they are for play and tasting only, and formula/breastmilk remains the bulk of their nutrition for almost all of that first year. Feeding cheap solids to avoid expensive formula is like putting your baby on a diet. A nutrient deficient diet, at that.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So cute, from Jill's instagram:

According to tumblr, apparently derick's brother has been commenting on that post about his nephew and people are speculating that they DO know the gender of the baby. I think the comments have since been deleted but they said something about being the best post he'd seen that was nephew related. Personally I reckon he's just looking at the football jersey and assuming it's for a boy, I don't think they actually know.

I wondered if Jill and Derick were expecting a girl, based on some of the pictures they took announcing their pregnancy that had girl's baby shoes in them. It might just be too early to tell, and girl shoes were all they had at the moment to set up the shot.

I wondered if Jill and Derick were expecting a girl, based on some of the pictures they took announcing their pregnancy that had girl's baby shoes in them. It might just be too early to tell, and girl shoes were all they had at the moment to set up the shot.

Honestly I just figured the found a pair of the little girls' shoes and used them--I don't think it was meant to indicate "gin-dur"

You have got to be kidding me!?!?!?!

Giving solids to save on formula is criminal and child abuse. Solids won't chnage the gut flora for a formula fed baby the way they would for a breastfed baby, but they don't have the mix of nutrients and calories a young baby needs. If they're introduced before six mnths they are for play and tasting only, and formula/breastmilk remains the bulk of their nutrition for almost all of that first year. Feeding cheap solids to avoid expensive formula is like putting your baby on a diet. A nutrient deficient diet, at that.

I don't think anyone said Michelle was feeding the babies solids exclusively. Just that she switched from breast to formula about that time, and we saw on TV she had introduced solids. Her kids may be heathens, but I haven't seen any malnourished babies coming out of the TTH. Not until the girls are hitting their teens and picking up some of Michelle's eating disorder tendencies.

Honestly, I'm amazed anyone from my generation lived at all with the way people go on about what to feed a baby. Not saying its wrong, or right. I was born in the 70s, exclusively formula fed for two months, with cereal added at 3 mos, and solids a month later. I was still on formula. (I have my baby book). And I'm sitting here today. Same for riding my bike without a helmet, rollerskating with medal skates and no pads, and drinking straigth from the garden hose. LOL

Theres no way that anyone would know whether they are having a boy or a girl. Jill only just found out.

I think the baby shoes were originally Josie's-they wouldn't have any of Marcus's shoes around as he has lived in DC since he was a newborn. Or maybe they borrowed some from a friend, and that friend happened to have a baby girl.

The comment about the nephew was probably because the outfit looked like a boy would wear it (especially with rigid fundie gender roles). I hope if Jill and Derick have a girl, they will put her in it with pride, even if it isn't pink.

It's too early for them to know the sex of the baby. There may be certain blood tests that could possibly tell them just about now, but they would be expensive and also pointless.

If she exclusively breastfeeds and feeds on demand, this is true. Once substitutions (formula, water, or solids) are made or a schedule is developed, the ability to use breastfeeding as a form of birth control is gone. And, both Michelle and Anna (if I remember correctly, at least Michelle) introduced solids to their babies at 4 months. So, I would expect that Jill will, too. Hopefully without the baby laying down while eating, though. I still hate that clip of, I think, Jordyn being fed.

Oh I understand but I think even if she's not breastfeeding ideally it may still slow down things a little bit compared to not breastfeeding at all. Since it's not like they will be using another reliable form of contraception. And of course it might not even matter. I mean we saw Jordyn constantly underneath the tent on the breastfriend with her little feet sticking out yet Michelle still became pregnant when Jordyn was around six months (Jordyn's birthday is in December and Josie's due date was 3/18). I just really hope Jilly doesn't have Irish twins.

J'Chelle always claimed she had massive systemic yeast issues and was only able to nurse for six months. I used to know an IBCLC who had done some consultation with her and said it was rare but legit. J'Chelle introduced solids early to avoid some of the formula usage when that six month tanking always occurred. Jill's midwifery training ought to have exposed her to the evidence based concept that nursing should be exclusive for six months and as long after as mother and child both want. She should know AAP says a minimum of 12 months but AAFP and WHO both say a minimum of two years is better.

Wow. That's something that I never wanted to know about: Moochelle's systematic yeast issue. :shakehead2:

Wow. That's something that I never wanted to know about: Moochelle's systematic yeast issue. :shakehead2:

I read somewhere that breastfeeding is actually painful to her because of her nipples or whatever (ew, I know) and even Jimboob would tell her she didn't need to do that, and she kept doing it, because #duty and #martyr.

If she exclusively breastfeeds and feeds on demand, this is true. Once substitutions (formula, water, or solids) are made or a schedule is developed, the ability to use breastfeeding as a form of birth control is gone. And, both Michelle and Anna (if I remember correctly, at least Michelle) introduced solids to their babies at 4 months. So, I would expect that Jill will, too. Hopefully without the baby laying down while eating, though. I still hate that clip of, I think, Jordyn being fed.

I'd change this to "If she exclusively breastfeeds on demand AND has not yet gotten her period, this is true."

From the LLL: "Three main criteria must be met in order for LAM to be effective: 1) the baby should not be receiving any supplemental foods or artificial infant formula, 2) the baby must be less than 6 months old, and 3) the mother must not have resumed her menstrual cycle."

Exhibit A: Me, who ecologically breastfed three kids and still got pregnant bam-bam-bam. In fact, I got pregnant with the third one while tandem nursing the first two. My period came back six weeks post-partum with each kid even though I was nursing about every 90 minutes around the clock, NO formula, NO solids. Some women start ovulating early, and it's not because they're not breastfeeding or breastfeeding wrong but just because like anything else, it's a crap shoot. If a woman starts her period, she should NOT rely on breastfeeding as birth control

http://www.etonline.com/tv/150526_jill_dillard_reveals_whether_her_kids_will_have_initial_names/index.html

New article. Jill's not quitting midwifery after all. Her plan to is to go back to once her morning sickness gets better (hopefully her morning sickness isn't one that last all throughout her pregnancy). I wouldn't be surprised if that was her plan all along, to take a temporary break from midwifery while she settled into newlywed life. Her unexpected pregnancy might delay things for a while longer but I've always felt that Jill had invested too much time already into her studies for her to just give it up once she got married. I think she'd at least want to finish her training even if she decides not to practice midwifery in the long run.

I guess we will see if it happens. I don't hold out much hope for someone who had to take a break to get married and adjust to being married....

But maybe she'll be a working mom after all

I guess we will see if it happens. I don't hold out much hope for someone who had to take a break to get married and adjust to being married....

But maybe she'll be a working mom after all

Really? Getting married tends to be a big adjustment for most people. I've heard psychologists say that it's one of the most stress-inducing events in a person's life, even if it is a happy one. Not only did she get married, she moved out and suddenly became responsible for her own house for the first time in her life, moved half an hour away from her family, went from no kissing to having sex in the space of probably a single night, her role in her society suddenly changed from single daughter to wife - I don't blame her for needing some time to process it all before she goes back to work.

Yes marriage is life changing even ones living together too.

Yes it's all life changing but if she was serious about her midwifery she'd of went back after a fortnight not 2 months later.

I for one don't see her doing this full time if at all.

My cousin had a nasty yeast infection that forced her to quit breastfeeding at four months. I'll spare you the description of what her nipples looked like except to say that if I had been the type to care if women nursed or formula fed that sight of her breasts would have cured me of that immediately. I'm all for women doing what's best for their babies, but NOT at the expense of themselves. Screw martyrdom.

Most people don't have the financial luxury to take time off from work or school because they got married. Jill is fortunate enough to have that luxury. I don't see any reason to condemn her for wanting to take some time off to set up a new home and spend as much time with her husband as possible. Midwifery isn't just some 9-5 job that she could coordinate with Derick's work schedule. Besides, I suspect that Jill completing her studies is more in preparation for future missionary trips and I don't really foresee her having a full-time career stateside. Nothing wrong with that and it's her choice. So far, she has been the only one of the Duggar girls to take any real initiative in getting an education and make another name for herself besides houseslave/wife/mother. (Poor Jana doesn't count, she seems so half-hearted into the doula thing). So for that I applaud her. GO JILL!

Really? Getting married tends to be a big adjustment for most people. I've heard psychologists say that it's one of the most stress-inducing events in a person's life, even if it is a happy one. Not only did she get married, she moved out and suddenly became responsible for her own house for the first time in her life, moved half an hour away from her family, went from no kissing to having sex in the space of probably a single night, her role in her society suddenly changed from single daughter to wife - I don't blame her for needing some time to process it all before she goes back to work.

Yes really ! I can't think of anyone in real life or that is serious about a career that takes two months off to being married, having sex, and moving out.

Is their stress involved? Yep, but that's life.

I'll go a step further and say I wouldn't feel to confident hiring her as my midwife knowing she could suddenly need months of time off to adjust to whatever.

My gut says this is just more PR spin because they've received negative attention for her ditching her studies.

I'll happily eat a huge slice of humble pie if Jill actually becomes a fully practicing midwife , with regular clients, and patients that are not just her sisters, sister-in-laws, and women involved with the cult.

http://www.etonline.com/tv/150526_jill_dillard_reveals_whether_her_kids_will_have_initial_names/index.html

New article. Jill's not quitting midwifery after all. Her plan to is to go back to once her morning sickness gets better (hopefully her morning sickness isn't one that last all throughout her pregnancy). I wouldn't be surprised if that was her plan all along, to take a temporary break from midwifery while she settled into newlywed life. Her unexpected pregnancy might delay things for a while longer but I've always felt that Jill had invested too much time already into her studies for her to just give it up once she got married. I think she'd at least want to finish her training even if she decides not to practice midwifery in the long run.

Thats a bit of a relief to hear, honestly. I had honestly expected the worst case scenario here. I just want her to finish her hours and write that exam! See it through, Jill! It's not much but it's SOMETHING.

Considering the massive life changes she went through in next to no time, I can see taking some time off...I would have loved to have taken some time off after some major life changes but couldn't. I will say that I am glad I was able to take time after my mother died, I needed a couple of months just to get myself together again after the hell of the last 6 months of her life. So...I guess I'm saying that taking time off after a major life change isn't something that concerns me a whole lot. I just hope she goes back and finishes her training. She looks like she really loves it and that's good for her!

Yes really ! I can't think of anyone in real life or that is serious about a career that takes two months off to being married, having sex, and moving out.

So what? Who cares if she wants to take time off? If they don't need the income and that's what she wants to do, what's the issue? People take time off work or school for all sorts of reasons, and it's kind of bizarre to judge someone for that. Taking time off something doesn't mean you're not serious about it. Do you really think there's only one 'right' way to do these things? I'm surprised you literally can't think of anyone who has ever taken time off their career or schooling to focus on something else in their life, because I know all sorts of people who have, including myself.

I'm also going to assume Jill is not irresponsible enough to leave her current clients hanging. Maybe she waited till all of them had given birth before taking time off. I mean, what, are midwives just NEVER allowed any time off?

Even if she does finish her "studies" (I'm predicting 9 months of morning sickness), she's never going to actually do anything with it.

And yeah, I'm judging anyone who needs several months off from an extremely easy life. I mean, really, what stress does Jill have? Going from stay at home daughter to stay at home life is such a huge adjustment? Please. She has every right to do it, and if I had the money I'd take months off at a time for the hell out of it. It's this pretense that there's any legitimate reason to do it. If she really needed the time off to adjust to being married then she's a weak person who shouldn't ever attempt a job with any serious responsibilities.

Let's be real--she's not going to finish her training; she's not going to have a career; she's not going to do anything but pop out the next generation of dangerously crazy fundies. Claiming that she needed time off to adjust and she plans to continue studying are more Duggar lies in response to online criticism. She took time off because she wants to and she can (good for her) and she plans to stay home for the rest of her life. She just won't admit that.

Surprising and i suspect the announcement is in response to criticism as well, but wow that's cool if she is going to go for it.

As far as her taking time off even though her life is easy.... most of the fundie wives i know make a full time job (including the stress of work) out of being at home and parenting 24/7. They put too much of a burden of perfection on themselves, like the Maxwells. And it can truly be stressful, with a hubby that expects to have nothing to do at home, and most fundie guys are like that. In a way it does suck energy out of a wife because then she doesn't have anyone to complain about working for since it's her headship :gag: lol or vent to like most working moms can vent about an outside job, which is totally understandable. Some wives won't even let themselves vent to other wives about their duties. :roll: That might explain why she took such a long break from school. I don't see Derrick being a jerk like that at all but if it's the social norm for wives in their circles to do pretty much nothing beyond housewife duties then Jill probably feels justified in just being at home and pregnant.

For her sake I hope it's true that's she's going to keep midwifing, and maybe it is, if she's thinking missionary work. Doubt it will ever be professional though. Probably just for the family/church ladies and then as a missionary wife years down the line.

I really hope she is going for it! Good for her!

ANd Mar 24th is the due date, so not a Wedding night baby :) She must have JUST finished her cycle on the wedding night, or hadn't and they waited a day or two :)

ETA: her cycle (based on teh 14 days from conception day) should have started June 17...so maybe there wasn't any hanky panky on the night of! (unless she has really short cycles) OR...ovulated late, but would she actually know that?

Archived