IGNORED

Let's celebrate Jill's wedding!/Jill Married MERGE

Ella

Love the optimism, but no. Jill has already said that they both want a big family. She's been talking about babies, not her career. I don't see her going to college or delaying pregnancy. Remember, using birth control to her is tantamount to doing drugs or sleeping around, enormously sinful and shameful. Derick I think is in actuality much less fundie than Jill but he likes her so much that he doesn't care right now. As one of only two children who had the opportunity to go to college and so on the realities of the fundamentalist Quiverfull lifestyle probably have not hit him yet. I anticipate some issues for them down the road when he expresses his concern that they've had five blessings in as many years and Jill, baffled, says, "What do you mean, Derick? We're just trusting God!" And he realizes he's in for 15, 16, 17 kids if he can't convince her to give it up...

That could just be for the show though... she has to toe the party line.

I'm interested to see how it plays out. I don't know how far she will go from Gothardism but I do think Jill gamed the system a little bit already. She's the only girl who has worked towards a career, and she's broken some of the rules with courtship (front hugs).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Derick will be "easy going" right up until he puts the ring on her finger. From reading his Pistol Pete interview, it seems that while he is polite, he is also very good at defining and deciding what HE wants and it doesn't seem that anyone is going to push him around. He's playing the game and kissing JimBlob's ass but the minute the preacher says "I now pronounce you man and wife" I think he's going to give JimBlob and Bitchelle the big old fuck you and they're off to live their own lives. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jill enrolled in college this fall to complete an RN/CNM sort of program. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them delay the little blessings for a couple of years.

Did you mean to post this in the Duggar Dreams thread?

The coloured streaks in my hair are their wedding colours :)

I wish Jill the best, I think shes lucky to have Derick, he is a nice worldly guy who might show her the fun in life. I think Ben is a douche.

Mike Keller?

Or maybe Derick's family has a home church and want to use that person

Don't yell but I actually like Mike Keller. He isn't " PTL ish TV ish" like the Duggars are. His and Mrs. Kellers Stchick doesn't seem to be in the limelight. That I can respect.

I think I will make me some of those party snacks of Bologna Coins on Ritz Crackers with the Cheese Whiz Happy Faces to snack on while waiting for the first online photos to appear of the wedding. Wardrobe attire will be Purple and Pink below the knee culottes with a crimson polka dotted shirt, Green Flip Flops with oversized Sunflowers to dress up my feet and a big sunflower smack dab in the middle of my head to complete the wedding guest attire.

I think Derick will be "easy going" right up until he puts the ring on her finger. From reading his Pistol Pete interview, it seems that while he is polite, he is also very good at defining and deciding what HE wants and it doesn't seem that anyone is going to push him around. He's playing the game and kissing JimBlob's ass but the minute the preacher says "I now pronounce you man and wife" I think he's going to give JimBlob and Bitchelle the big old fuck you and they're off to live their own lives. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jill enrolled in college this fall to complete an RN/CNM sort of program. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them delay the little blessings for a couple of years.

It is often the child who seems to have truly gotten drunk on the Kool-Aid who gives the middle finger to all of it the minute they can get out of the house. Jill has gotten the most independence because they THINK she's the "obedient" one...oh hell no...you talk a good game, get the 'rents snowed and go off and do your own thing.

Just watch...

I genuinely hope it happens, but IF it does, I don't think it will be right away. I grew up in a controlling household - not fundie, though - and it took me a good decade and having my own kids before I began to see how off it was. I'm not saying it will take Jill that long, but if she hasn't rebelled yet, it will take something to trigger the "that wasn't right" feelings.

If she had been kind of pushing back in her teen years, I would think she might embrace freedom right away, but it's pretty engrained in her. The "it would be a bad testimony" comment after the proposal made me lose all hope. Because it isn't just that her parents are watching, it's that GOD and EVERYONE ELSE are, too. And that won't change after she gets married.

I think that for fundies to break free there has to be a crisis that pushes them past their coping skills or a faith crisis, and then they have a decision - 1. Break free and save themselves or 2. Go deeper in and lose all personhood. I hope all of those kids BREAK FREE.

I read a great deal of Derick's interview about being Pistol Pete and I am making the call that Pistol Pete makes an appearance at the wedding reception. (Not Derick as Pistol Pete but the current Pistol Pete.) It would be a way to honor his Dad and himself on his wedding day.

I have no idea what kind of marriage Derick and Jill have but I pray that Derick can help balance out Jill's beliefs to help her realize she has more options.

I read a great deal of Derick's interview about being Pistol Pete and I am making the call that Pistol Pete makes an appearance at the wedding reception. (Not Derick as Pistol Pete but the current Pistol Pete.) It would be a way to honor his Dad and himself on his wedding day.

I have no idea what kind of marriage Derick and Jill have but I pray that Derick can help balance out Jill's beliefs to help her realize she has more options.

I totally agree about the Pistol Pete observation. She posted a picture to her IG yesterday of Derik in his costume indicating it was one of her favorite pictures of him. He was looking rather "smoldering" in it, except for the whole Pistol Pete outfit, of course.

I totally agree about the Pistol Pete observation. She posted a picture to her IG yesterday of Derik in his costume indicating it was one of her favorite pictures of him. He was looking rather "smoldering" in it, except for the whole Pistol Pete outfit, of course.

Not snarking here, but can someone explain the enthusiasm over DD dressing up as PP/a Uni mascot? I never attended a Uni with such a tradition, so I don't have a real reference for this. Is this something a lot of people want to do? Is it a popularity symbol? Does he get to keep the massive head as a keepsake?

Not snarking here, but can someone explain the enthusiasm over DD dressing up as PP/a Uni mascot? I never attended a Uni with such a tradition, so I don't have a real reference for this. Is this something a lot of people want to do? Is it a popularity symbol? Does he get to keep the massive head as a keepsake?

I attended a Mid-Atlantic University, so football isn't a religion here as it is more in the South. I think that is the big deal...Football in the south (both highschool level and college level) is a "big deal" and hence, I think that makes the Mascots big deals.

And now I have a mental image of Jill and Derik's wedding night...and he's wearing nothing but the big giant Pistol Pete head. Can. Not. Stop. Laughing!

Being mascot at a school with a Division 1 (think huge) athletic program is a very big deal. This video explains https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36uIhsjA7K0."

JBoob, Jichelle and JillyDilly must know that Pistol Pete hangs out with the cheerleaders..

June 21 2014... and at 1pm I'll be flipping the proverbial bird to Jill because I'll be marrying my DF.

Congratulations!!! :D

Thanks, Ralar and BeaSnarky.

And [emoji15]. That's a heavy head. I hope the Dillard babies don't inherent Pistol Pete's head size. ;)

It is often the child who seems to have truly gotten drunk on the Kool-Aid who gives the middle finger to all of it the minute they can get out of the house. Jill has gotten the most independence because they THINK she's the "obedient" one...oh hell no...you talk a good game, get the 'rents snowed and go off and do your own thing. Just watch...

I totally agree. Derick has grown up and experienced a more normal life and seen the benefits of that. I think he's going along with things now because it's not that long to wait until they are married, but once that happens, I think he'll have a big influence on Jill and we'll see a lot of changes. I can't wait to see her mind start expanding, and I think he'll be so good for her.

I noticed an article in one of the tabloids recently (http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/ ... up-family/) where Jim Bob was lamenting how Jill getting married is going to tear the family apart. I suspect that he's probably a little worried since Derick hasn't grown up drinking the koolaid and is a more mature man with a mind of his own and I don't think JB will be able to push him around or control him the way he can Ben.

I wonder how Derick's family feels about the wedding. I'm assuming there will be no alcohol or dancing, etc.? I wonder if his Mom is okay with that since they seem a little more "normal" and this is her son getting married,... it's not all about the Duggars. I wonder if he'll convince her to go on a honeymoon somewhere tropical and wear an actual 21st century bathing suit!

Derick is just the friendlier face of their fundie movement. Even Kirk Cameron's wife wears pants and drives around alone. Doesn't mean their beliefs are any better, and I seriously doubt they will limit family size.

I hope you all are right about Jill slowing escaping Gothardism.

I don't see evidence of that happening or Derick being the one encouraging it. but who knows.

My greatest concern for them especially Jill is how she's going to feel once she's out of the crush phase.

4 days away though they must be so excited.

Will this air as a TLC summer special?

Wow, I'm more excited about this wedding than anything in my own life! I've been counting down the days. (sad...just sad...)

I have another way flipping the proverbial bird as I'll be on a cruise ship somewhere in the Pacific between Ensenada and the port of Long Beach, CA.

I will be celebrating my wedding anniversary with my husband. It seems to be a popular wedding/anniversary date.

I'm having major surgery on Thurs, so hopefully, by Sat night/Sunday, I'll be able to lounge with the computer in bed & find some snarkilicious details!

I'm looking forward to pictures. I suspect there's going to be a huge number of people and am curious which fundie families will attend and whether any politicians will. Then there's the dress, the cake, and the food in general - will they splurge or not?

I'll probably be on Free Jinger most of the day, lol. Plus going to a friend's kids' birthday party.

For those who want details, I think Jill has a wedding board on Pinterest. So does her midwife mentor/wedding coordinator. Her wedding colors are mint and peach. She's going for a rustic theme (shocking). I expect a ton of mason jars, burlap, and pictures in fields.

I'm happy for JIll and Derick, but am looking forward to the crazy.

I'll be in Chincoteauge, poolside with a stash of coronas, limes, and no internet access. Believe it or not, I'm conflicted...on one hand, pool and beer...on the other hand, Duggar Snark....

Sigh...

Archived