IGNORED

Shades of Malibu Blue: Alyssa Bates & John Webster Wedding

freethemall

Ding. Ding. This is why I'm cutting no slack on the homemade cake. Those girls are supposed to be domestic goddesses. It's not like they're usually allowed any activities outside of practicing homemaking. When I was a small girl, I remember homemade cakes that put a lot of today's pro cakes to shame. Our mothers used to practice that stuff. Being able to make one of those princess doll cakes was the amazingest of amazing. So why are those girls and women, who are only supposed to practice homemaking skills, unable to make a cake that doesn't look like a first-try?

I don't know where everyone keeps getting that this was a homemade cake - isn't Kelly's sister Kay an actual baker in Georgia? She also did Chad/Erin and Whitney/Zach's cakes, and they were all fine. And honestly, it doesn't look THAT bad - the tacky accessories are worse than the actual cake itself. The whole un-smoothed look is really popular right now, I actually did it for mine because I liked it more than the polished look (I believe they called it "spatula" texture). My only other issue with it is the other little cakes just sitting there on the table with no stands and really plain looking. And dear lord who needs that much dessert at a wedding and no real food!

I wonder if there's any chance that they're going to do some roadtripping on their honeymoon, maybe travel down to Yosemite?

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where everyone keeps getting that this was a homemade cake - isn't Kelly's sister Kay an actual baker in Georgia? She also did Chad/Erin and Whitney/Zach's cakes, and they were all fine. And honestly, it doesn't look THAT bad - the tacky accessories are worse than the actual cake itself. The whole un-smoothed look is really popular right now, I actually did it for mine because I liked it more than the polished look (I believe they called it "spatula" texture). My only other issue with it is the other little cakes just sitting there on the table with no stands and really plain looking. And dear lord who needs that much dessert at a wedding and no real food!

I wonder if there's any chance that they're going to do some roadtripping on their honeymoon, maybe travel down to Yosemite?

It's the crookedness of those lines that is killing it for me. Otherwise, I think the only thing that would bother me would be the crap stuck on it. But the lines look really crooked even from a photo.

Aren't they supposed to be wavy/crooked as part of the supposed artistry of it?

blog.birdsparty.com/2013/05/cake-it-pretty-how-to-create-four.html#undefined

Oh dear, it seems the blue and pink bridesmaid dresses contributed to a musician flub...

greghowlett.com/blog/thoughts/my-weekend-wedding-story.aspx

It doesn't matter what we think, if this is what they chose for their honeymoon (because yes the husband should get a say too) then more power to them. Tahoe is gorgeous any time of the year, and there's plenty to see and do right now too. It's hilarious because I'm sure everybody would pick apart wherever they went, but let's not forget that the other two couples were housed by church members for a good portion of their honeymoons, thus making it a lot cheaper. If they didn't have that option, Tahoe is lovely and pretty affordable this time of the year.

I'm confused--who is picking apart where they went on their honeymoon? I expressed some surprise at where they went since the two previous married Bates children went farther away, but I certainly don't have an issue with it, and even complimented them on having the maturity to be more budget-conscious, if that were their reasoning.

Pretty much everyone else has been very positive, and everyone who has been to Lake Tahoe has given a glowing review.

Aren't they supposed to be wavy/crooked as part of the supposed artistry of it?

blog.birdsparty.com/2013/05/cake-it-pretty-how-to-create-four.html#undefined

I've never seen it done this way but her kind of wibbly one looks like it is purposefully done and has a consisten spiral (if any). I don't think Alyssa's pulled this off (cause it looks to me like they were trying do the straight horizontal but slipped??). It looks like a hard design to pull off well and make it not look like an accident/poor leveling.

I've never seen it done this way but her kind of wibbly one looks like it is purposefully done and has a consisten spiral (if any). I don't think Alyssa's pulled this off (cause it looks to me like they were trying do the straight horizontal but slipped??). It looks like a hard design to pull off well and make it not look like an accident/poor leveling.

how-to-make-textured-buttercream-finish-cake-decorating-classes-online-free.png

Those are really beautiful. It's one of those so-effortless-it-took-forever things. Maybe that was the intention and they just got in a hurry. Making cakes is a PITA, they have to be fresh so you're working all hours right before they're needed. Not a fun job. Plus it looks like the icing was too stiff, with all the cake blobs. If whoever made it ever reads this, please don't feel bad! I know the pain! :lol:

post-10046-14451998968359_thumb.jpg

Oh dear, it seems the blue and pink bridesmaid dresses contributed to a musician flub...

greghowlett.com/blog/thoughts/my-weekend-wedding-story.aspx

lol!

This particular wedding was very organized and the practice was sufficient. The director was good. I knew the songs well ahead of time and the other musicians were great. That makes what happened a bit harder to take…

There were the usual plethora of little things–misinterpreted cues and such. We had to play one song twice because of a cue that was apparently misread. Another song had a problem too and then at the end of it, I could not get a cue at all because all I could see in front of me was a wall of pink and blue dresses and had no idea what was happening. (I missed noticing that potential problem because in practice, the women were dressed in less “poofy†dresses and I could see through them easily.)

The missed cue was to start the traditional Bridal March. So I started it flustered. And halfway through, I got “creative†on a chord. When I say “creative,†I don’t mean I played a cool half diminished chord substitution or something. I mean I played a chord that nobody in that church would consider cool at all. It was out of place by any standard which means it was just the wrong chord. Yes, it happened right in the middle of a bride’s biggest moment.

I am not making more of this than it was. It was bad and I was mortified.

Yeah that does look a little bit impossible :lol: they'd have to cue with a church banner on a pole to get over the puffs.

post-10046-14451998968657_thumb.jpg

As ugly as the wedding was, the professional pictures released so far are lovely. It helps that the location was gorgeous, but at least they will have some more timeless photos.

Although the decoration on the cake isn't my style, I don't think it looks bad. Someone obviously worked hard to make it as nice as they could and bake what the bride and groom wanted. I prefer homemade baked goods anyway so I would have been happy to try the cake.

Although the decoration on the cake isn't my style, I don't think it looks bad. Someone obviously worked hard to make it as nice as they could and bake what the bride and groom wanted. I prefer homemade baked goods anyway so I would have been happy to try the cake.

It looks delicious and honestly that's all that matters.

I don't know where everyone keeps getting that this was a homemade cake - isn't Kelly's sister Kay an actual baker in Georgia? She also did Chad/Erin and Whitney/Zach's cakes, and they were all fine. And honestly, it doesn't look THAT bad - the tacky accessories are worse than the actual cake itself. The whole un-smoothed look is really popular right now, I actually did it for mine because I liked it more than the polished look (I believe they called it "spatula" texture).

This! I would want a cake that looks edible and tastes good....not some fondant plastered thing that looks like a statue. That would be a waste of money. Having said that Kelly's sister probably made the cake for free (I would for my nieces).

I know you can't really tell here because it's their shadows, but I think Alyssa's skirt might be above the knee!

http://instagram.com/p/ohlTLeJAhk/

I don't think the proportions are right for that, but it does look to me like she's wearing pants under the dress -- as odd as that might seem -- look at the width of her shadow and think about how skinny her legs are. Given how thin the shadows of her arms and his neck looks in that photo, I can't figure out any "natural" way her bare legs could look like that. Hmm… :think:

One of my friends just asked me to make a cake for her wedding, who is blue & pink & violet themed... I was thinking about a cinnamon-hazelnut paste - pepper, nutmeg, clove (just a little for the last three), then icing sugar and place blueberries, currants, raspberries, and strawberries on it ... This is the first time I have to cook something that must be pretty AND tastes good :?

Maybe whip up a sample for her to try, just to be sure. I personally think that cake sounds devine. I'm sure it'll be great!

I think it looks like Alyssa is wearing leggings under a knee length (or shorter skirt).

I love that her bridesmaid's dresses were so loud that they distracted a professional pianist :lol:

Thank god they weren't bedazzled as well.

While pastel pinks and blues can be lovely together, this was a hot mess.

I like a look like this, though:

tiffany-blue-baby-pink-wedding-inspiration-board-600x561.jpg

I went to a wedding about a week ago that had one of the very expensive and beautiful fondant "statues". It was DELICIOUS. Seriously. Yeah, fondant normally tastes non-edible, but this stuff was amazing. I have no clue what the cakemaker did, but the fondant was actually the part you wanted to eat. The cake almost got more attention from the guests than the bride. :lol:

So, long story short, fondant cakes CAN taste as delicious as homemade. Not often, but it is possible.

I went to a wedding about a week ago that had one of the very expensive and beautiful fondant "statues". It was DELICIOUS. Seriously. Yeah, fondant normally tastes non-edible, but this stuff was amazing. I have no clue what the cakemaker did, but the fondant was actually the part you wanted to eat. The cake almost got more attention from the guests than the bride. :lol:

So, long story short, fondant cakes CAN taste as delicious as homemade. Not often, but it is possible.

Could the fondant have been made from marzipan? Marzipan has a delicious, unique flavor to it (although I find people either love it or hate it).

All the fondant cakes I've had -- including our wedding cake -- have been like that. And they weren't marzipan (which I also like) because they lacked that almond flavor.

Seconded! I've even known folks who had totally useless things like a pickle/relish tray at every guest meal. Candied Beets! yum lol 

Oh my gosh, the useless dinnerware...My grandmother left me an ENORMOUS dish that was specifically made JUST for chicken tetrazzini. It's from the 1920s and absolutely breathtaking, so I break the rules and put some things other than chicken tetrazzini in it...I know, damn it feels good to be a gangsta! :lol:

I'm way behind on this thread, but I wanted to ask. I'm not familiar with chicken tetrazzini, go I googled it. Is it just me, or does anyone else think Anna Duggar's Chickenetti is a corruption of this dish? Sorry for off topic.

One of my friends just asked me to make a cake for her wedding, who is blue & pink & violet themed... I was thinking about a cinnamon-hazelnut paste - pepper, nutmeg, clove (just a little for the last three), then icing sugar and place blueberries, currants, raspberries, and strawberries on it ... This is the first time I have to cook something that must be pretty AND tastes good :?

I've never been a big fan of cakes but PLEASE ask your friend to invite me, too - your cake has all the ingredients I love *drooling*

I'm way behind on this thread, but I wanted to ask. I'm not familiar with chicken tetrazzini, go I googled it. Is it just me, or does anyone else think Anna Duggar's Chickenetti is a corruption of this dish? Sorry for off topic.

I don't know about Anna's recipe, but I had to google Chicken Tetrazinni too, and the recipe I looked at from The Food Network had 9 TABLEspoons of butter in it. :ew: plus several spoons of oil... Is that right? Cos OMG, that's a lot.

I don't know if it's an Arkansas thang or a South thing but my husband makes a mean Chicken Spaghetti. It has rotel and velveeta, a can of cream of something and chicken and noodles. It is a staple at church pot lucks. It kinda ticks me off that Anna acts as if she thought of that on her own. Of course Smuggerette probably invented it and we are all copying her. :angry-banghead:

Archived