IGNORED

Shades of Malibu Blue: Alyssa Bates & John Webster Wedding

freethemall

United States of Bates was on TLC. ABC would probably have to develop their own show, but a special is more likely if they did opt to film the wedding.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that ABC will give the Bates the regular show. The ratings would be awful. Very few cables shows have ratings that would keep them on the air if they were on network. Breaking Bad is probably the only one that could have survived on a network. Even the Kardashians were averaging something like 5 million on cable, which is nothing compared to shows like Big Bang Theory that get tens of millions. Shows thrive on cable because so little is expected. Besides, we find the fundie shows facinating because we have outside information that makes it more fun to snark on them. I think most people would find them boring hicks, living in a backwards town, with strange beliefs.

Those are some beautiful cakes! I wonder who made them.

Go to the Bates' blog. I think the name of the baker is on the original picture.

Glad I'm not the only one who got excited when Alyssa was wearing what looks like a tank top in that instagram picture! Are they still at Lake Tahoe?

Glad I'm not the only one who got excited when Alyssa was wearing what looks like a tank top in that instagram picture! Are they still at Lake Tahoe?

Per her instagram (Webster4Ever) they are back home in Florida.

I doubt that ABC will give the Bates the regular show. The ratings would be awful. Very few cables shows have ratings that would keep them on the air if they were on network. Breaking Bad is probably the only one that could have survived on a network. Even the Kardashians were averaging something like 5 million on cable, which is nothing compared to shows like Big Bang Theory that get tens of millions. Shows thrive on cable because so little is expected. Besides, we find the fundie shows facinating because we have outside information that makes it more fun to snark on them. I think most people would find them boring hicks, living in a backwards town, with strange beliefs.

There is always ABC Family.

Per her instagram (Webster4Ever) they are back home in Florida.

Let the housetour begin.. the amount of pictures that girl posts it can't take long before we can see.. well.. everything (in their home)

And Kelly said their are renting, just like Erin & Chad. Bill Gothard weeps.

I see hope. How many more Gothard rules will they break?

I see hope. How many more Gothard rules will they break?

Is renting against Gothardism? I thought you just couldn't have a mortgage, but renting until you had saved up enough to buy a house in cash was okay?

Renting is against the God called Steven Maxwell.

If they needed to purchase a house before marriage, they'd average marriage at age 42. Not that it's a bad thing, they'd die out pretty quickly.

Let the housetour begin.. the amount of pictures that girl posts it can't take long before we can see.. well.. everything (in their home)

...Judging by the amount of SELFIES that girl makes, we'll only see whatever snippets of their house are in the background of her and John smiling into the camera. Every.single.picture

But I do want to see the Hot Mess Pink Barbie Malibu Blue house, especially after everyone dissed Erin's and thought Alyssa's taste seemed so much more mature, until they saw the wedding pictures...

I'm surprised the ABC article did not mention the groom's name, or that fact that his father is a member of Congress.

Me too. I'm actually surprised how much John's father's position has been downplayed throughout everything.

Me too. I'm actually surprised how much John's father's position has been downplayed throughout everything.

I keep seeing comments like this, and maybe I am weird, but I don't see a congressman's kid getting married as being as big a deal as other people seem to think it is.

I mean, there are 535 (or so) congress people in the country. That means there's probably 1,000+ congress-children running about. They do normal stuff. Not sure why that's big news? My congressman tends to ride around the city on his bike while wearing tweed and a bow tie. People doing normal people stuff doesn't really seem newsworthy. Plus, how precarious would his office have to be if he's trying to make a his son's wedding into some sort of publicity campaign?

Maybe despite know the Duggars, the Websters practice tact and class?

lol! :handgestures-thumbup:

Though i wonder if they put an ad in the paper with "groom is son of..." etc. That would be a traditional way of acknowledging it.

I keep seeing comments like this, and maybe I am weird, but I don't see a congressman's kid getting married as being as big a deal as other people seem to think it is.

I mean, there are 535 (or so) congress people in the country. That means there's probably 1,000+ congress-children running about. They do normal stuff. Not sure why that's big news? My congressman tends to ride around the city on his bike while wearing tweed and a bow tie. People doing normal people stuff doesn't really seem newsworthy. Plus, how precarious would his office have to be if he's trying to make a his son's wedding into some sort of publicity campaign?

I ddn't mean that I expectedit to be big new

I ddn't mean that I expected it to be big news for the general population, just that it would be big news for ATI ( a Congressman is a pretty big "get" for them and I assumed the Websters would be pretty high ATI royalty) and the organization would use the wedding between their most politically powerful family and one of their most prominent families for more publicity.

I thought it would have more of a "wedding of the year" feel to it, like Chad and Erin's did. I certainly don't think it's a bad thing that a bigger deal wasn't made out of it, I'm just surprised, that's all.

In general I agree with you, but in this instance ABC News ran an article about the wedding. One would normally expect the groom's name to be mentioned in a story about his wedding, even if his parents are not mentioned. Also, when one of the celebrants is the child of a celebrity or public figure, the parents are normally mentioned.

Archived