IGNORED

Erin miscarried

hollyandivy

Here in the UK, you don't see a medical professional until about 10-12 weeks, and your first scan is 12-14 weeks. Unless something is going wrong, of course.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found that fundies are encouraged to share immediately in case there is a miscarriage. In the event they miscarry they will have the support and prayers of their community. Its the complete opposite of the mainstream norm, which is to wait to announce so that a miscarriage is only shared between close family/friends.

If interested in seeing this logic in action, check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfdtt1UqNZE. skip to about 2:40 Its made by 3 quiverfull mothers, who are trying to modernize the view of the quiverfull community on YouTube.

I'm guessing everyone also wants to know if the couple is at least trying,like in Erin's case,the families know the couple is already committed and isn't trying to put off the baby bearing.

I'll throw my two cents in on the empty sac thing. I had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks because I had been spotting. I'd actually only known I was pregnant for a few days. All that showed up was the egg sac because it was so early. Things ended up turning out ok and I had a healthy baby at 39 weeks. If not for the spotting though they would not have seen me until I was 10 weeks along

I'll throw my two cents in on the empty sac thing. I had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks because I had been spotting. I'd actually only known I was pregnant for a few days. All that showed up was the egg sac because it was so early. Things ended up turning out ok and I had a healthy baby at 39 weeks. If not for the spotting though they would not have seen me until I was 10 weeks along

This story and similar others I have heard is why Erin's D&C surprises me. I understand having one after a miscarriage has started, to make sure everything is cleaned and make sure there is no risk of infection. In Erin's situation I would expect the advice to be "Go home and wait for the miscarriage to happen."

Can anybody offer information as to why doctors would have acted rather than wait for nature to take its course?

I am presuming that Erin did exactly what doctors told her, without questioning their decisions. It took me until I was mid 20s or later to question the things my doctor told me to do and I was brought up to question everything.

If it's been over a couple of weeks since the pregnancy stopped progressing, some doctors offer the D&C just to be over it especially if the mother is bothered by it. One of my relatives had gone they believed three or four weeks since the embryo died and with her job the OB suggested scheduling the D&C rather than waiting and having it interfere with her professional life. If the couple wants to try again quickly would be another reason to go ahead with the D&C. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons.

I'm thinking erin probably didn't want to wait it out,and wants to get pregnant again asap.so the sooner this miscarriage is over,the sooner they can start trying again.this is just a presumption,of course.

It could also be that Chad is not giving us all the gory details, to spare Erin's dignity! He doesn't mention how long ago they had the 9 week scan: it may be that they did let things happen naturally for a while, but the bleeding did not completely empty her uterus, so she needed the d&c. That would definitely be a situation where doctor's would intervene, due to infection risk. Or it could have also been for emotional reasons, i.e. It's hard on Erin to carry a dead embryo around. I feel that the comments that she would have a d&c so she could get pregnant again faster are a little cynical... For starters, iirc you often have to wait longer after a d&c often than you would after a natural miscarriage. Moreover, I can't imagine our recently-a-virgin fundie girl electing to have a procedure that is performed through her vagina unless it was absolutely necessary.

well,I mean it in the context that some women carry around a miscarriage for weeks,while going ahead and having a d and c gets if over with asap.I think I would rather do the latter as well,just to be able to move on.

Bontrager Family March 21, 2014 at 2:35 pm

We are so sorry! Y’all are in our prayers. We know what Chad & Erin are going through, having six babies in heaven ourselves.

I was not aware that the Bontragers had had 6 miscarriages over the years...

It really varies by area. Where I am they really, really stress early prenatal care, and treat moms badly if they don't get in the first couple months...the earlier the better. I have no idea why, it makes no logical sense that I can see.

It makes perfect sense if you are paying for healthcare. Money :think:

Other than that, no. Unless as others have said there is a medical or psychological reason.

It makes perfect sense if you are paying for healthcare. Money :think:

Other than that, no. Unless as others have said there is a medical or psychological reason.

that is so true.ppl are over-doctored these days,imo.they wanted my son to come back for a reexam,even though his arm wasn't broken,after he fell.we didn't go.he's fine.and still is,several years later.

Can anybody offer information as to why doctors would have acted rather than wait for nature to take its course?

One scenario that I have seen many times is: The woman has persistent and significant bleeding. She has an ultrasound which shows retained products of conception. The bleeding is so severe they proceed to immediate D/C or the issue is initially treated medically and with follow up but the bleeding persists. So, they proceed to D/C.

As an aside: Even first trimester failed pregnancies can lead to significant retained products and bleeding.

that is so true.ppl are over-doctored these days,imo.they wanted my son to come back for a reexam,even though his arm wasn't broken,after he fell.we didn't go.he's fine.and still is,several years later.

I agree people are often "over-doctored", but I can also see the wisdom in early checks for certain reasons. For instance, if you have problems with low progesterone, getting in early, getting tested, and getting your progesterone supplements can mean all the difference in a viable pregnancy.

I agree people are often "over-doctored", but I can also see the wisdom in early checks for certain reasons. For instance, if you have problems with low progesterone, getting in early, getting tested, and getting your progesterone supplements can mean all the difference in a viable pregnancy.

No problems with that. Going to your GP or for advice or pre-natal vitamins are all prudent, especially for first time Mum's or those with existing health problems.

It's the early ultrasounds that are of no benefit in general.

No problems with that. Going to your GP or for advice or pre-natal vitamins are all prudent, especially for first time Mum's or those with existing health problems.

It's the early ultrasounds that are of no benefit in general.

My early ultrasound was of great benefit to me... It uncovered mine (and my sister's) multiples early so we had plenty of opportunity to research new practioners (I had to switch, mine was not capable of handling them, being a CNM) and get additional monitoring for hormone levels, iron, etc (my sister needed help to sustain her own pregnancy through that first trimester, poor girl was really ill for awhile). Where I live, a viability scan is typically given at 6-8 weeks, and care pathways are developed from there.

Kelly mentioned in comments yesterday on the Bates blog that Erin and Chad recently joined Temple Baptist Church, the home of Crown College.

templebaptistchurch.com/

I wonder if this is an indicator that they plan to stay in East Tennessee after this spring (although who knows if Erin will graduate in May as planned).

Its interesting that they aren't going to Gil's church!

Kelly mentioned in comments yesterday on the Bates blog that Erin and Chad recently joined Temple Baptist Church, the home of Crown College.

templebaptistchurch.com/

I wonder if this is an indicator that they plan to stay in East Tennessee after this spring (although who knows if Erin will graduate in May as planned).

Its interesting that they aren't going to Gil's church!

Maybe they want to create their own life separate from both families?

Baby steps. I think going to a church that has a college is a step above going to daddy's church and I hope the rest of the married family takes note.

And this church has a Christian day school templebaptistacademy.com/ Their curriculum includes Abeka materials like what Kelly uses. Maybe this is an actual possibility for the future Paine children? It's still fundy, but at least they would be with other students, have sports, music, etc.

During my first ultrasound on my 3rd pregnancy (9 weeks) the lady doing it thought I may have the dates wrong and said I had to go back to my GP for more tests. I was a bit worried but not much, when I left the receiptionist doing the bill and sending report back to GP said ( in an upbeat voice) " oh are you sad? Don't worry these things happen"

Plus my partner had already told most of our small town I was pregnant so I had people asking all the ' happy' questions for awhile after, having it on the internet would have been torture.

I had to have a D&C because it was a missed abortion ( medical term) the hospital put me and two others who had the same in the maternity ward and we had to listen to babies crying all day.

It's a sad time for anyone.

I have had four miscarriages. I had two D&C's and two natural. The reason I had the D&C's is because both of those times I was bleeding profusely and I didn't pass everything. Both times I went about 2 weeks before the decision was made. Finally on my 4th miscarriage it was found that I had low progesterone. So when I got pregnant with the last child I started on progesterone right away.

Luvmyskinnyjeanz the exact same thing happened to me with one of my D&C's I was put in the maternity ward and had to listen to women giving birth and the babies crying. I still remember a women whose baby had died close to the due date and they were inducing her labor. That was truly sad.

I imagine erin has friends she has met in college that go there as well.so I think it's good for them to be able to get away from all things daddy.and at least no one will have green hair there,either! lol :)

So sorry this happened. Hope she is recovering as best she can. Sounded like they were really looking forward to it. I regret saying she might not be ready for motherhood so soon and it looks like she had no problem getting pregnant. No one is talking about Whitney's pregnancy at the moment. Wonder are they deciding to wait for things to progress further.

I had a D&C and I can't even imagine my mom posting my medical details on her blog. Ugh. I was pissed enough mom told everyone I was pregnant even though I told her not to, which is how I ended up having a public-ish miscarriage.

I can see how posting this would prevent the BILLION calls/texts I just didn't even want to answer. I wouldn't have done it, but I can see how putting it on a blog might actually make it easier on her with the giant families involved. Her husband actually sounds very caring and emotionally mature about it.

Archived