IGNORED

Erin miscarried

hollyandivy

Curlykate,

Also sorry that you are going through this. I had a miscarriage in December at about 5 weeks. I elected to let it occur naturally and it was no different than having a period. Moderate bleeding for about 10 days then tapered to spotting for about 7 more days. Cervix closed and because I was leaving to go to a third world country, I had a trans vaginal ultrasound done to be sure all material was expelled (it was). HCG levels did remain high for a while, so I had routine blood work to monitor the decline. Took forever (to me) for the HCG levels to come down (30 days from onset of bleeding). Normal period resumed about 35 days after onset of miscarriage. I'm sorry for your loss. Been there and know it sucks.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Erin needs all of the love and support she can get. I hope she's able to get whatever help she needs. As sad as it may sound, Erin's life is all about having babies. I wonder if she feels like a failure, because she miscarried. She shouldn't! Don't Fundies know how common miscarriage is? Not everyone can breed like rabbits like they can.

I don't think she's entirely unsupported here. I mean, pretty much every fundie multipara I can think of has had at least one miscarriage, including Kelly. I think there are probably a lot of women in her community that know what she's going through and are ready to support her.

Chad had commented that she was nine weeks when it was confirmed that they had lost the baby. Based on my work experiences, it could mean that she went in at 6-7 weeks for initial visit, no heartbeat detected, went for follow up and still no heartbeat/measuring behind and her body had not begun the natural miscarriage process, therefore elected for the D&C.

I feel so very sorry for her. I've had 3 miscarriages and each one is just as painful as the last. It was discovered after my 2nd that I have a blood clotting disorder. I lost the last one at 11 weeks (the latest loss I've had). Honestly, I'm glad for her that she had a D&C. All of mine have been natural and the last one was the most awful experience of all. I wouldn't wish that pain (physical and emotional) on anyone.

I do find the picture odd and wonder why one would be a DSLR camera to the hospital for that sort of procedure but maybe they want to document everything in their life, good and bad? I just hope she was okay with it and it wasn't at his pushing that they took it.

I would hope too that she wouldn't have an underlying disorder/condition like myself that would cause her more pain in the future. Since she had a D&C I'm sure they were given the option to have genetic testing done on the fetus. Most insurance companies will not pay for this though if it is your first loss and I'm sure they probably don't have insurance anyway so they probably opted out of that.

Chad put up a post about it. I feel so sorry for them, miscarriages suck!

I'm very sorry for their loss. I hope for a quick and complete recovery from the D&C as well.

Chad said in the comments that they named the baby "Angel".

At least it's unisex...I'm a bit surprised they haven't assigned a sex to it, as the fundies are wont to do. (Male, of course...)

Chad had commented that she was nine weeks when it was confirmed that they had lost the baby. Based on my work experiences, it could mean that she went in at 6-7 weeks for initial visit, no heartbeat detected, went for follow up and still no heartbeat/measuring behind and her body had not begun the natural miscarriage process, therefore elected for the D&C.

Normal first time moms don't even go in for their first visit until 8-9w. At that point they usually do a dating ultrasound. It's highly unlikely they had any visits before hand unless she had bleeding/complications/some medical issue that hasn't been shared. Even then the only way to detect a heartbeat before 9ish-12weeks is via a transvaginal ultrasound which isn't routine care practices for normal FT healthy moms. I am 36w pregnant and high risk and had ultrasounds every two weeks at first. Even at my 6w one I was warned they might not see the heartbeat yet.

It's likely her 9w visit showed an empty sac/ ectopic/ or baby several weeks behind and the decision to have a D&C was made.

I must admit, I cried while Reading the blog post. However, I never should have opened this thread in the first place, as I'm going through this right now

I should be 12 weeks pregnant, however the ultrasound says I'm less than 6 weeks pregnant. While I'm sure each OB has their own methods/preferences, I've been encouraged to wait it out naturally. There are meds that can be taken to help move things along, however those aren't usually offered until later in the pregnancy, when it becomes much riskier to have a miscarriage. A D&C is usually reserved for cases that don't progress naturally, where not everything is expelled naturally, or when the women is having a hard time coping and just needs it to be over with. (usually after multiple miscarriages). Again, it could just be my OB, but a D&C isn't even on the table for me, with it being my first miscarriage and an early one.

All that being said, I hope Erin and Chad are able to find comfort in each other, and come out stronger on the other side. Losing a much wanted pregnancy is tough, and they need to give each other time to heal emotionally, and for her, physically.

I'm so very sorry for your loss and all you're going thru.

Normal first time moms don't even go in for their first visit until 8-9w. At that point they usually do a dating ultrasound. It's highly unlikely they had any visits before hand unless she had bleeding/complications/some medical issue that hasn't been shared. Even then the only way to detect a heartbeat before 9ish-12weeks is via a transvaginal ultrasound which isn't routine care practices for normal FT healthy moms. I am 36w pregnant and high risk and had ultrasounds every two weeks at first. Even at my 6w one I was warned they might not see the heartbeat yet.

It's likely her 9w visit showed an empty sac/ ectopic/ or baby several weeks behind and the decision to have a D&C was made.

I hope they would choose to end an ectopic pregnancy, but some fundies don't, Kim Coghlan being the most vocal about the sinfulness of it, cause some tiny percentage of ectopic pregnancies result in a live birth.

Didn't Chad say she had a D&C? You don't do that for an ectopic pregnancy so it would have been a molar pregnancy, missed miscarriage, or something like that.

Didn't Chad say she had a D&C? You don't do that for an ectopic pregnancy.

They most certainly do. Some doctors choose it as standard practice to clear all tissue. Sometimes it's because they can't find it on ultrasound and do it for precautions. Sometimes it's because the shot didnt work. -Someone who had an ectopic.

I feel so very sorry for her. I've had 3 miscarriages and each one is just as painful as the last. It was discovered after my 2nd that I have a blood clotting disorder. I lost the last one at 11 weeks (the latest loss I've had). Honestly, I'm glad for her that she had a D&C. All of mine have been natural and the last one was the most awful experience of all. I wouldn't wish that pain (physical and emotional) on anyone.

I do find the picture odd and wonder why one would be a DSLR camera to the hospital for that sort of procedure but maybe they want to document everything in their life, good and bad? I just hope she was okay with it and it wasn't at his pushing that they took it.

I would hope too that she wouldn't have an underlying disorder/condition like myself that would cause her more pain in the future. Since she had a D&C I'm sure they were given the option to have genetic testing done on the fetus. Most insurance companies will not pay for this though if it is your first loss and I'm sure they probably don't have insurance anyway so they probably opted out of that.

I doubt genetic testing would be offered. I asked about it after my D&C, since it was my second consecutive loss. I was told the hospital flat-out would not send the tissue for testing.

I too, think having the camera there was weird. I didn't want anyone but my fiance (now husband) to see me that day...

Otherwise, I can't really snark. Miscarriages are horrible, just horrible.

They most certainly do. Some doctors choose it as standard practice to clear all tissue. Sometimes it's because they can't find it on ultrasound and do it for precautions. Sometimes it's because the shot didnt work. -Someone who had an ectopic.

Interesting and educational. I had an ectopic removed but no D&C. No shot, I had to have it surgically removed.

I wish they had kept this to themselves. I don't see any reason to have to post about a miscarriage after a few months of marriage. I know she was the first married and Kelly is looking forward to grandbabies but even if a year went by without any pregnancy announcements especially since she is still in college I don't think people think Erin was sneaking birth control. I guess I see miscarriage as personal. I was starting at an new ob/gyn recently and saw a very close friend in the office who saw my form that had the number of miscarriages I had and she said is that number right? She was shocked she never knew(and my miscarriages were after 13 weeks). I guess I would never post it on a blog especially since I'm sure Erin feels pressure to have a baby. I hope making the news public was 100% her choice.

I get the sneaking feeling this was posted because Kelly wanted the world to know her genetic match conceived first, and Chad probably wanted the world to know his shooter works faster. Erin's been sucked into all of this. I think she wants out of fundyism.

I feel bad for Erin. Adjusting to married life and physical intimacy...and then a miscarriage. I hope Chad is taking good care of her.

While I do feel sad for them, I still think it's sad (& it sucks etc.) that both of them got pregnant so soon after marriage. Can't they even have just "a few" months (maybe 6 months) to be a married couple first? :angry-banghead:

Of course not. When a woman's value is on how many babies she can push out, why wait? Easier to get knocked up faster than to deal with dozens of relatives demanding to know why you're not expecting yet.

Not necessarily. I can think of at least one company that does prenatal screening which can determine gender around nine weeks.

That $30-gender test is about 50% accurate. No not at all.

Sad for them. I never believed the insinuations that they were having physical troubles, they struck me as very in love and physically comfortable with each other in their courtship photos.

I do think the sharing is appropriate in their culture because they view this loss as the death of a child. Look at the funeral the Duggars had for jubilee. They are partaking in a culture that believes the unborn are the equivalent of live people and deserve deep public mourning.

That $30-gender test is about 50% accurate. No not at all.

LOLf, doesn't say much for that test. I can be 50% accurate pulling a random guess out of my ass, given there are only two options.

Archived