IGNORED

Maxwell's lastest post

SPHASH

There was a member of FJ who went to a conference of Steve Maxwll this year (in October, maybe). I was looking for the subject with his testimony but impossible to find, can someone give me the link ?

Marianne, I think someone did go to a conference in the Fall -- but I can't remember who or find the thread either!

You may be thinking of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17324&start=380

Mr P and I went to a Conference in June. We only lasted an hour. I made several very long posts about it, and Mr P wrote up his own impression of Steve's session for men. Very creepy. The posts are the "Reports from Greenfield."

Also on that thread are many comments by other people who have attended Maxwell events and links to more threads describing other conferences.

I hope that helps.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It really isn't necessary to clean as much as they do, but what else are they going to do? None of the ladies has a job, and no one, period, has hobbies or friends. They don't spend time reading, watching TV or movies, trying new recipes or restaurants, or shopping just for f*n. Steve would never allow anyone to sit on the couch and chill for a change, or take a walk alone, or pop over to the fabric store just for kicks. They are the most constrained, repressed, boring people alive... so whyyyyy are they so fascinating?

They are fascinating because they voluntarily choose to live such dreary, boring lives; they have essentially condemned themselves to live in a prison of their own making. I don't know how Steve keeps such a tight hold over his family and I cannot understand why he thinks this lifestyle is so preferable. Why is endlessly cleaning the house better than serving in the community? It is as if he is stone deaf to the commands of his savior.

Let's clarify the question. I am going to politely ask you to be clearer and cite the source for your claim that Steve Maxwell served in Vietnam. I've never seen anywhere where he has talked about it and, while he was certainly in the Airforce, I personally doubt he was in Vietnam. Here is why, before you get all snotty:

1. Given Steve's age, his general canniness, and his degree in electrical engineering my educated guess is that he got college deferment from the draft and then volunteered for the Airforce as a commissioned officer. The people who did this generally got preferential treatment in their postings. US or Germany, perhaps. Vietnam, not very probable at all if he had already graduated. The last troops left in 1973.

2. Also, this is a reference by Steve to "Grandad's" service in Vietnam as a career officer. His father or Teri's father? blog.titus2.com/2011/06/11/what-do-you-think-grandad

"Grandad is a eighty-year-old, decorated, retired Army officer, and he was wounded in Vietnam." Had Stevo served in Vietnam his enormous ego would certainly have made reference to it in this post.

See, I cited my source there.

So, please prove me wrong. Where exactly has Steve talked about serving in Vietnam?

Thanks.

I'm currently reading through the entire blog--so far I've read from 2006 to 2010--and I don't see anything (yet) that talks about STEVE serving in Vietnam, only about Grandad. Steve does talk about being in Thailand but again, no mention of Vietnam so I also doubt he served there (he's the same age as Mr. S, who drew #18 in the draft lottery but received a student deferment). Even if he had served there, he may have never seen combat--a cousin of mine served two tours assigned to Army Intelligence (cue oxymoron jokes) but never left Saigon and never saw combat. I definitely agree that Steve would be shouting it from the rooftops, had he A. served in Vietnam (and not just flown there) and 2. seen combat. If I'm wrong, I'd also appreciate seeing the references.

Because they voluntarily choose to live such dreary, boring lives; they have essentially condemned themselves to live in a prison of their own making. I don't know how Steve keeps such a tight hold over his family and I cannot understand why he thinks this lifestyle is so preferable. Why is endlessly cleaning the house better than serving in the community? It is as if he is stone deaf to the commands of his savior.

Because their ministry is all done online except through their visits to "the elderly". It it far too dangerous to expose the (adult) children to the filth and evils of the real world to actually go out and minister to people who probably could really use some encouragement in their lives (visiting shelters and the like). They are so stifled by protecting themselves that their mission really ISN'T at all to help other people, it's to make themselves money.

Yep. Their number one thing (and product!) is this "sheltering" business, which pretty much rules out mixing too much in the world.

Still, as I said earlier, it boggles the mind that they can both live that way AND make the kids give "testimonies." Must be the most boring testimonies ever.

Yep. Their number one thing (and product!) is this "sheltering" business, which pretty much rules out mixing too much in the world.

Still, as I said earlier, it boggles the mind that they can both live that way AND make the kids give "testimonies." Must be the most boring testimonies ever.

The phrase "preaching to the choir" was tailor-made for the Maxwell ministry. Aside from their brief presence at the County Fair handing out soft drinks and million dollar bill tracts to the general public (eventually deemed to expose the family to too much evil), they only minister to the most vulnerable (the "elderly" and the down-and-out at the mission--also suspended from what I can tell, or those who already believe as they do, only not to their extremes, and random folks they encounter only briefly (cashiers, servers and the like--most of whose hearts are miraculously open to their message, if you've noticed). But never in circumstances or to people who might actually challenge or debate them. Cowardly, IMO.

The photo of Sarah by herself is probably one of the prettiest photos I've ever seen of her. The crazy isn't there, she just looks like a normal happy woman.

Those kids are all so cute. It's interesting that they kept mentioning that Abigail gave gifts she bought with her own money. So even though they never talk about how they pay their kids, obviously Nathan and Melanie have a system they are starting with their kids at a very young age.

I'm currently reading through the entire blog--so far I've read from 2006 to 2010--and I don't see anything (yet) that talks about STEVE serving in Vietnam, only about Grandad. Steve does talk about being in Thailand but again, no mention of Vietnam so I also doubt he served there (he's the same age as Mr. S, who drew #18 in the draft lottery but received a student deferment). Even if he had served there, he may have never seen combat--a cousin of mine served two tours assigned to Army Intelligence (cue oxymoron jokes) but never left Saigon and never saw combat. I definitely agree that Steve would be shouting it from the rooftops, had he A. served in Vietnam (and not just flown there) and 2. seen combat. If I'm wrong, I'd also appreciate seeing the references.

I have nothing to really add to this except a few facts (make of them what you will):

-Steve and Terri celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary in 2009, so they were married in 1974. He would have celebrated his 23rd birthday about a fortnight earlier.

-In the post that includes the pictures from his service in Thailand, he mentions that he wasn't 'saved' until about 3 years later.

-IIRC, Steve mentioned that he was 'saved' before he was married.

Therefore, Steve couldn't have been older than 20 in those pictures and the latest year they could have been taken was 1970.

How long is a student deferment? Would he have finished engineering college by the ripe old age of 20? (I have no idea how US higher ed worked back then.)

The other thing is that, according to the fount of knowledge that is wikipedia, 80% of USAF strikes on N Vietnam took off from Thai airbases. It is possible that, even if he was based in Thailand, he did fly there. Even if his role wasn't as up close and personal as the ground troops, it is possible that he saw (or later became more aware) of the effects of his service. Bombing and spraying campaigns during the war weren't exactly minor affairs (and I don't think anyone could accuse Steve of being particularly mentally balanced at the best of times. Even if his role had been minimal, it's very possible he's mentally magnified his role and the associated guilt ).

Thirdly, I'm not actually sure Steve would blow his own trumpet if he'd served in Vietnam. Don't get me wrong, he's an opinionated and arrogant ******** (fill in the insult, I can't think of anything strong enough), but he seems to base his 'authority' on the fact that he's the patriarch (the only patriarch who reads his Bible correctly), not on his own experience or professional expertise.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure, especially given how the Maxwells are notoriously light on details and specifics (FFS, in one old blog post, Sarah talked about a "family member" who stepped on a nail and instead of mentioning the name, she instead referred to "that person." He certainly could have been in Vietnam and/or seen combat but unless it serves his purposes, he'll never confirm it.

FTR, Mr. S. was called up in the lottery when he was 18 (18 for 18!), got his student deferment, ended up not completing college but was never called up again. He was 25 when the war ended in '75.

I wonder how they make arrangements for their seminars/conferences/talks. They are usually held at churches, aren't they? I would assume that the church representative who handles these could be either male or female. So does Teri actually get to handle the arrangements if the liaison is a female?

That made me imagine a conversation between a Maxwell and a stranger:

So, what is your family business?

We're in sheltering.

Oh -- you help to run homeless shelters? That's so wonderful!

Well, no . . .

Housing?

No.

Shelters for hurricanes or tornadoes? That's such a useful . . .

No.

Um . . .carports?

No.

Doghouses?

It also led to this -- Steve sings:

Oh, nothing is threat’ning

My very life today.

If I don’t sell some shelter

Oh yeah, I’m gonna fade away.

Hell, children, it’s just a breath away

It’s just a breath away.

Sin, children, It’s just a step away

Don’t dare go out today.

Ooh, gotta scare the sheep now

Tell them of hell today.

Burns like a red coal carpet

I've got to make it pay.

Hell, children, it’s just a breath away

It’s just a breath away

Sin, children, it’s just a step away

Don’t dare go out today.

Rape, murder!

It’s just a step away

It’s just a step away (3x)

False fear is filling

My bank account today.

Sell them, sell them shelter

Or I’m gonna fade away.

Rape, murder!

It’s just a step away

It’s just a step away . . .

Jb-JZPmiEOI

I wonder how they make arrangements for their seminars/conferences/talks. They are usually held at churches, aren't they? I would assume that the church representative who handles these could be either male or female. So does Teri actually get to handle the arrangements if the liaison is a female?

Based on a few blog posts (reading back through the blog is very illuminating) Sarah handles the scheduling. It appears that she, rather than Teri, is heavily involved in the administrative side of the family business. It's a shame really, because I do think the children are intelligent and well-educated with the narrow confines of their beliefs, and would do quite well in the real world. But they've been so constrained and made so fearful of the world outside of their bubble--and the women been brainwashed into thinking they can never be decision-makers--that it's pretty much an impossibility.

The phrase "preaching to the choir" was tailor-made for the Maxwell ministry. Aside from their brief presence at the County Fair handing out soft drinks and million dollar bill tracts to the general public (eventually deemed to expose the family to too much evil), they only minister to the most vulnerable (the "elderly" and the down-and-out at the mission--also suspended from what I can tell, or those who already believe as they do, only not to their extremes, and random folks they encounter only briefly (cashiers, servers and the like--most of whose hearts are miraculously open to their message, if you've noticed). But never in circumstances or to people who might actually challenge or debate them. Cowardly, IMO.

And I would like to bet that in these brief encounters with servers, cashiers, etc. these lucky random folk smile and say something affirmative simply to be polite to a paying customer. It's it. Be nice and get them out the door. It's not being miraculously "open to their message" but they either don't get that or they are playing it up to sound much bigger than it is. I spent years in retail and had a number of folks who tried to preach during the cashier transaction or while being waited on. You went along and just played nice because they were a customer. It wasn't the time or place to be challenging or do a debate.

So they are really picking and choosing the circumstances where/who they minister in order to protect themselves, and maintain their sheltered little bubble. By no means would they attempt a more "real world" outreach such as maybe a prison, or woman's shelter, or anything that would raise um, questions.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant in my post--not that these people really WERE open to the message, just that they played along.

I've noticed this same "open hearts" BS in just about every blog where they talk about ministering to the non-believers. No, it's just that the victims play along just so you'll STFU. Easier than arguing.

Thanks, Uberfrau. That clarifies matters.

Steve was born in 1951. I think the only way this works is for Steve to have volunteered for the Airforce as soon as he graduated High School rather than waiting to be drafted in the 1970 draft (the '69 draft only went up to 1950 birthdates). Then he probably got his college degree through the VEAP later.

If he was flying out of Thailand it is possible that he has some regrets. I do know other Vietnam vets of the era who were traumatized when they realized what Napalm actually did to civilians and so on.

I doubt that we will ever know for sure about Steve's combat experience unless someone turns up places that he actually discusses it. Mind you, it would have been nice if that other poster had explained rather than pretty much saying I'm right because I said so. :)

Either Steve or Teri mentioned in a Corner that Christopher tries to preach to people he speaks to on the phone for business.

What a shitty thing to do to put people you do business with in such an awkward position.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant in my post--not that these people really WERE open to the message, just that they played along.

I've noticed this same "open hearts" BS in just about every blog where they talk about ministering to the non-believers. No, it's just that the victims play along just so you'll STFU. Easier than arguing.

Yup, exactly.

I have in-law relatives who think every server, cashier, or store salesperson are their "friends" because they "listen" to them (they are demanding) and are "nice" to them. They really believe this and it's rather sad. Maybe Steve knows better on some level but the kids are probably like my relatives.

Thanks, Uberfrau. That clarifies matters.

Steve was born in 1951. I think the only way this works is for Steve to have volunteered for the Airforce as soon as he graduated High School rather than waiting to be drafted in the 1970 draft (the '69 draft only went up to 1950 birthdates). Then he probably got his college degree through the VEAP later.

If he was flying out of Thailand it is possible that he has some regrets. I do know other Vietnam vets of the era who were traumatized when they realized what Napalm actually did to civilians and so on.

I doubt that we will ever know for sure about Steve's combat experience unless someone turns up places that he actually discusses it. Mind you, it would have been nice if that other poster had explained rather than pretty much saying I'm right because I said so. :)

:handgestures-thumbup: Thanks Palimpsest for saying it much better than I did in my Steve and Vietnam question. I was fairly certain he had never actually said he was in Vietnam, but after being told "HE WAS. HE DISCUSSED IT. I CAN'T MAKE IT CLEARER", I figured maybe I'd missed it along the way.

I immediately figured - and still suspect - that Steve enjoyed some of the darker parts of Thailand while he was there, and has never gotten over the guilt of it. Just my reaction to what he's posted and how he lives now.

So in today's post about the Xmas festivities, Sarah refers to herself and her sisters as SAM Aunts? What would that stand for? Or is it just a typo for SAH?

So in today's post about the Xmas festivities, Sarah refers to herself and her sisters as SAM Aunts? What would that stand for? Or is it just a typo for SAH?

SarahAnnaMary. She sometimes calls them the SAM sisters too.

SarahAnnaMary. She sometimes calls them the SAM sisters too.

Thanks. Not suprisizing, why would a person need their own identity.

(maybe just jaded as I spent 18 years being referred to as "the twins")

Damn it all, everyone. I joined FJ for the dougie posts and now I keep coming back to read more about the Maxwells. So much :pink-shock: :pink-shock: :pink-shock:

New post up: solving a very deep mystery. Where on earth do they get their skirts?!? :roll:

Damn it all, everyone. I joined FJ for the dougie posts and now I keep coming back to read more about the Maxwells. So much :pink-shock: :pink-shock: :pink-shock:

New post up: solving a very deep mystery. Where on earth do they get their skirts?!? :roll:

Welcome to Planet FJ. There is much we can teach you! :lol:

Archived