IGNORED

Vision Forum Now Closing, Doug Phillips Still a Tool-Part 2

happy atheist

I want to know what happened in Greece.

Everyone keeps talking about the Greece trip and its lack of pictures. Do we have any proof the trip took place?

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly possible that there is a financial cover-up behind the "inappropriate relationship" story, but am I the only one who thinks that relationship could very well be the big sin? IOW, maybe it was an especially grievous or even illegal kind of relationship :( I really really hope this is not the case, but financial scandals in fundystan are a dime a dozen, and given the dominionist leanings of this group--anti-government, libertarian, what have you--could shady financial dealings really be the death knell of his ministry?

Everyone keeps talking about the Greece trip and its lack of pictures. Do we have any proof the trip took place?

I thought the same thing, but I was able to find some evidence that the Moorecrafts did in fact go to Greece. Nothing was mentioned about anyone else though, so Doug may very well have bailed out.

It's certainly possible that there is a financial cover-up behind the "inappropriate relationship" story, but am I the only one who thinks that relationship could very well be the big sin? IOW, maybe it was an especially grievous or even illegal kind of relationship :( I really really hope this is not the case, but financial scandals in fundystan are a dime a dozen, and given the dominionist leanings of this group--anti-government, libertarian, what have you--could shady financial dealings really be the death knell of his ministry?

It might be the big sin, but I don't think it is the only one. And I suspect financial misdeeds that will lead to legal

Nope, no blog posts or after-trip pics (at least none that anyone on FJ has unearthed thus far); just the advance advertising and link to the brochure:

visionforumministries.org/events/greece2013/

What happens in Greece stays in Greece?

Much more detailed conversation going on in the pinned post. Maybe a mod can merge?

Yes, please. Sorry, I didn't realise someone else already mentioned it in the other thread.

I do think it is important to mention the closing of VFM in the title somewhere, otherwise people might miss it because of the length of that thread.

I'm sure the mods can fix the thread title, especially since there have been pages and pages of discussion since the news broke.

The Atlantic Wire just posted a story on it: theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/11/infidelity-scandal-just-shuttered-major-biblical-patriarchy-organization/71484/

It points out the connection between VF/Duggars/Kirk Cameron/

I wonder what is going to happen to Dougie's "THE TOOL" house and warehouse since they were owned by VFM?

I'm now wondering if Dougie fathered a child out of wedlock.

If that's true, then Beall could divorce him with clean hands--it's flat out adultery.

I was going to say that I didn't think it was sex, however, but then, remember why Doug attracted so much attention here in the first place?

Maybe that story of the inappropriate relationship was found to be false and it really was determined to be a relationship with another man. This is the sort of thing that could lead the board to shutting the whole thing down. Given how fundies feel about Teh Ghey, this is the kind of situation where they'd probably want to nuke the whole thing from orbit, just to be sure.

However, this is just speculation. I'm more inclined to think that with Doug's resignation, an accountant was brought in to look at the books and all sorts of financial shenanigans were unearthed. This is actually a reasonable move to bring in the accountants when there's a major change at the top to make sure nothing that belongs to VFM is taken by Dougie as he's clearing out his desk.

But it would be something if it was about Teh Ghey, no?

Wondering what's going to happen to Perry and the LiaS family now...

The Atlantic Wire just posted a story on it: theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/11/infidelity-scandal-just-shuttered-major-biblical-patriarchy-organization/71484/

It points out the connection between VF/Duggars/Kirk Cameron/

With a nice, frumper-era photo of the Duggar family. Boob must be so pleased.

A commemorative toast: Doug Phillips is a tool.

How's the new title?? If anyone is more creative/cleverer than I am I can change it again but I was running out of characters!

Doug, I know you're a flaming egotist (in addition to other things), so let me tell you what this "middle-aged, never-married, lives in another house several miles away" daughter did for her father today.

My brother's out of town for a few days and he's dad's caregiver. He needed a break so I took time off from my job (for which I'm paid very well, thanks) to stay in dad's house. I had to get dad up this morning, help him him re-dressed this morning after he had an accident, get him his pills (only two at a time and I have to make sure he swallows them), get him breakfast, take him to the eye doctor and get him lunch. And just sort of be around during the day to answer questions. Dad forgets where he's at, he forgets who people are, etc. My mom (who is deaf as a post and generally sleeps vampire hours) is now cooking dinner for him. I haven't checked to see what it is, but it may need to be cut up by me before he eats it. Later I'll get his night pills, make sure he takes them, get his dentures put away (he's paranoid someone is going to steal them) and get him to bed. Then I'll hope he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night because daddy does so much better when he gets a good night's sleep.

And that is what a non-stay-at-home daughter does for her elderly dad with Alzheimer's. I'm no hero, this is what kids do for their parents. And my dad, if he were completely here, would totally approve of me working and then taking time off, because it was always his wish for ALL his children to have good jobs and be self supporting. He wasn't a controlling patriarchal ass like you.

How's the new title?? If anyone is more creative/cleverer than I am I can change it again but I was running out of characters!

I like it! :clap:

His former associates are either hiding or fleeing as if he has serious apostate cooties. Is he planning on dressing in sackcloth and ashes (ooooooh, costumes!) and dragging a giant crucifix around the country, proclaiming that God has forgiven him for his sin(s)?

:lol: I think "Has Serious Apostate Cooties" needs to be a post count title.

I want to go to Doug's yard sale -- lots of cool costumes!

I continue to suspect that he did something illegal -- Dougie in jail, there's a lovely thought.

On the serious side, I hurt for his children, but I hope they rebel big-time.

I thought the same thing, but I was able to find some evidence that the Moorecrafts did in fact go to Greece. Nothing was mentioned about anyone else though, so Doug may very well have bailed out.

Yes, the Greece trip happened and it appears Dougie was there. He was tagged in a facebook post by Betsy Dix:

"Betsy Dix

September 25

Seven days with no Internet & just checking in- I must say I LOVE TURKEY, the people, the history that makes the Bible come alive! Loving our family trip with 50+ amazing friends from TX, NC, GA, SC & Becky Belcher Morecraft, Douglas Phillips,Scott Matthew Dix, Esther Leclerc — at Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey."

Doug has either fathered a child or is looking at a prison sentence. I'm really hoping he didn't pull a Jack Schaap. The next few months will be pretty interesting.

Of note, In his intro speech at The History of America Conference (which was totally scaled down and lacking in fop and frippery compared to conferences past), Doug made the statement "There may come a day when there are no more conferences." It struck me as odd at the time, but the context has been made crystal clear as of late. I think an announcement of legal charges is coming in the next week or so.

Archived