IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - General Discussion Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is "Louboutin" like Louis Vuitton or is it another brand altogether?

Different. Louboutin of the famed red soled shoes/boots.

I liked your post whilst trying to quote it, damn phone.

I've been reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. It basically explains how the universe works for non-science people, but it is also a history of science and how these things were discovered. As I read it, I thought, "I wish that Josiah and the other learning-minded Duggars could read this." Then I thought about how the book assumes so many things about the beliefs and knowledge of the reader. It assumes that the reader has no problem believing that the universe is billions of years old, that they would not be offended by the idea that humans and apes share a common ancestor, that they took basic high school courses in biology, chemistry, and physics and retain a glimmer of a memory about what they learned. No Duggar would get past the introduction.

off topic, imho that book is Bill Brysons best! I gave it to several people and everybody liked it. Especially if you are like the Duggars and like "mostly non-fiction" (...). It touches so many topics, just incredible. It is a gift, a blessing, no matter what season of life you are in! I wasn't able to put it down. I picture the Duggars reading it and every 20 seconds saying "wtf?! That's not how the Bible tells us!"

We can't know for sure, but I've never had the feeling the adult Bateses and Duggars are really all that friendly. It seems like a TLC-driven relationship.

Neither Michelle nor Kelly are likely to have more biological children. The Bateses TV show was cancelled. The Duggars have three grandchildren already. I don't see why Jim Bob would feel all that competitive with Gil over how many of their kids are married.

I think Boob is primarily concerned with controlling his own empire and keeping the show going is a large part of that. To that end I can see why he would love a daughter courtship/engagement/marriage since the son thing has already been done. But why this kid? What does he actually have going for him? The only guess I can make is that Jim Bob thinks he'll take direction well. Be pretty funny if he doesn't, though.

Yes, there certainly is some sort of silly, 'friendly' competition going on, but I have a feeling it's the Duggars that feel like they should be wary of the Bates usurping their TLC kingdom. Was it in the episode on Erin's engagement that Josiah called the Bates "our Southern sidekicks" after having mocked "their Southern twang"? I'm not from the States, so I'm not sure what the implications of being from a Southern state are, but I thought the way Josiah mimicked their accent sounded a little derogatory...as if he was not simply pointing at the difference between Arkansas and Tennessee regional accents -which would have been perfectly alright; I personally love noticing all the subtle differences between the various varieties of English-, but he was implying that the Bates accent is hilarious/ridiculous. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it felt like Josiah was making fun of them. At any rate, he is stating that the Bates are subordinate to the Duggars as far as the show biz is concerned: they are their "sidekicks", and, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a comical secondary character a classic example of a sidekick?

I also remember Jessa and Jinger -not sure in which episode- commenting on the respective styles of the Bates and Duggar girls: "the Bates are more...[awkard pause, they-look-at-each-other sort of pause]...Western. We are more 'modern modest'." Or something on those lines. I do get the feeling that the Duggars feel superior.

:shock: Uh, wow. Well, I'm really glad that I'm not surrounded by people who would judge me for mispronouncing designer purses or whatever? I don't even know what some of that stuff is. Bergdoff sounds like a Lord of the Rings character or something. I think fundies have bigger issues than not being able to say 'Louboutin'.

I think that is the point right? He chose to enter a field (lobbying) where he is not only the least educated, he doesn't fit in at all.

Not a chance. He'll learn math and keep books for the car lot.

Great pity, this. Josiah has always struck me as the creative, artistic type. I'm convinced that left to himself, he would prefer to study art, architecture or graphic design. I have to wonder if studying accounting was his own choice, or if he was "steered" (coerced) into it by his parents? I can easily see Boob telling him "This is all we'll let you have, take it or leave it".

Was it in the episode on Erin's engagement that Josiah called the Bates "our Southern sidekicks" after having mocked "their Southern twang"? I'm not from the States, so I'm not sure what the implications of being from a Southern state are, but I thought the way Josiah mimicked their accent sounded a little derogatory...as if he was not simply pointing at the difference between Arkansas and Tennessee regional accents -which would have been perfectly alright; I personally love noticing all the subtle differences between the various varieties of English-, but he was implying that the Bates accent is hilarious/ridiculous. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it felt like Josiah was making fun of them. At any rate, he is stating that the Bates are subordinate to the Duggars as far as the show biz is concerned: they are their "sidekicks", and, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a comical secondary character a classic example of a sidekick?

I also remember Jessa and Jinger -not sure in which episode- commenting on the respective styles of the Bates and Duggar girls: "the Bates are more...[awkard pause, they-look-at-each-other sort of pause]...Western. We are more 'modern modest'." Or something on those lines. I do get the feeling that the Duggars feel superior.

I don't doubt the kids snark some on the more countrified Bateses and I find the Duggars generally a bit smug indeed, but in Josiah's case I thought he might have been distancing himself from the notion that HE was a Southerner. Sorry, son, but you too are a Southerner, no matter how light the twang.

I would think that most people in politics are too busy to give a shit what shoes someone else is wearing, designer or otherwise.

Snarking on them for mispronouncing over-priced, fetishised commodities (or imagining they would) is some nasty snobbery, IMO.

I think that is the point right? He chose to enter a field (lobbying) where he is not only the least educated, he doesn't fit in at all.

I don't know anything about lobbyists. Are they all expected to have a working knowledge of overpriced designer brands? If so, that's kind of ridiculous, and my hope would be that people wouldn't exclude themselves from careers they want to pursue because other people think they're not classy enough to fit in. :?

We snark on Smuggar (aka the Great White Dope), but I bet that we would get some serious snark competition from his colleagues at FRC. I would love to see Smuggar and Smuggette in Neiman's, Saks, or Bergdorff attempting to shop. "I would like to try on those Prada, Gucci, or Fendi (pronounced Pray-da, Gooch-eye, or Fen-die) shoes." or Smugette saying, "I want to try on a pair of Louboutin and Manolo Blahnik pumps (pronounced Loo-boo-tin and Manolo Bla-han-ik) and I want to purchase one of those Hermes Birkin bags (pronounced Her-mees Buy-r-kin) bags"

Are you concerned that Josh and Anna will be drastically outclassed by Lawana Lee Perkins, mother of five, of Baton Rouge?

And what conservative lobbyists do you suspect of having designer knowledge and taste?

I would think that most people in politics are too busy to give a shit what shoes someone else is wearing, designer or otherwise.

Snarking on them for mispronouncing over-priced, fetishised commodities (or imagining they would) is some nasty snobbery, IMO.

I agree with the latter interpersonally, although my standards are pretty low for what is acceptable Duggar snarking and what isn't.

In my experience with lobbyists, they are as obsessed with brands as anyone else but not for the sake of consumerism-as-hobby. It's sort of like a Realtor always driving a really nice car--they have to look successful so you trust them with your money, and part of the smoke and mirrors of politics. It's part of the window dressing--you want to look successful but not too showy, so things like Louboutin and Louis Vuitton are out, but Coach is probably A-OK because it's subtle. It's all about code--the car, the neighborhood, team preferences, favorite restaurants, music, radio stations, etc. It's unfortunate in many ways, of course, but it's the reality.

So, we have one ass backwards family making fun of another ass backwards family. This just too funny!:D

Roles that "God intended":

Woman: stay at home, pop out kids; Kelly: check!

Man: working hard, providing for wife and kids; Gil: nope!

Great pity, this. Josiah has always struck me as the creative, artistic type. I'm convinced that left to himself, he would prefer to study art, architecture or graphic design. I have to wonder if studying accounting was his own choice, or if he was "steered" (coerced) into it by his parents? I can easily see Boob telling him "This is all we'll let you have, take it or leave it".

I'll venture that Josiah had a choice between accounting or doing outdoor hands-on work with Joseph and JD, so accounting it was.

Regarding Ben: I think if the courtship continues (I'm in the camp that thinks the whole situation seems 'off') Jim Bob will set him up with a local automotive business or an expansion of JD's, Jessa will live near home, and the show will go on.

The last post I saw on the Duggar blog was on the Bates kid's relationships. Comments on the Bateses blog posts can number into the hundreds while those on the Duggar blog lately are in the single digits or low double digits. Seems pretty clear who people are following these days, but why are the Duggars posting Bates stuff vs. Jessa and Ben, Josiah's graduation, etc.?

About Josiah snarking on the Bates(es?), I don't think he meant any harm. When I watched it I thought what he said was funny. They do have a more southern accent. I don't feel like he was being mean. Maybe because I like him...

The girls always seem to have a smug opinion of themselves over others, like saying other things/experiences are "different". It's always said in the same way.

What do you want to bet that Jessa and Ben will move into Josh's old house....aka Grandma Duggar's rental house?

What do you want to bet that Jessa and Ben will move into Josh's old house....aka Grandma Duggar's rental house?

Shouldn't she move to hot springs where his school and business are?

About Josiah snarking on the Bates(es?), I don't think he meant any harm. When I watched it I thought what he said was funny. They do have a more southern accent. I don't feel like he was being mean. Maybe because I like him...

The girls always seem to have a smug opinion of themselves over others, like saying other things/experiences are "different". It's always said in the same way.

The "western" remark is what bugged me. Hey, Duggars, Tennessee isn't "western". I guess geography wasn't part of SOTDRT, huh?

Shouldn't she move to hot springs where his school and business are?

Only Duggar boys are allowed to leave. Boob will never relinquish full control of his daughters.

Only Duggar boys are allowed to leave. Boob will never relinquish full control of his daughters.

But its a basic tenant of Gothardism that wives should submit only to their husbands who is the ruler of their castle.

Is Jessa to serve two masters? Is Ben supposed to submit to his father-in-law because Boob is a famous Gothardite with a TV show?

It's going to be interesting.

But its a basic tenant of Gothardism that wives should submit only to their husbands who is the ruler of their castle.

Is Jessa to serve two masters? Is Ben supposed to submit to his father-in-law because Boob is a famous Gothardite with a TV show?

It's going to be interesting.

Jessa will serve Ben who will serve Boob.

Except that Boob still has control over Josh.

I didn't mind the western comment. The Bates family has had western decor in their home forever.

It's actually southern country decor. Anyway, it's the stuck up, smart ass way that it was said that bothered me the most.

Archived