IGNORED

Another Bates Courtship

BigSandy

From what I can Google, Clown College is accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, which is a national accrediting agency. Basically, they are only as good as University of Phoenix and other such for profit schools. Most of their credits will not transfer to a traditional brick and mortar such as UT, which is regionally accredited. Also, apparently its accrediting agency, TRACS, has also had a very lengthy and sketchy record.

More at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnational_Association_of_Christian_Colleges_and_Schools

Here's another interesting website I found about CC: http://crowncollegelawsuits.com/accreditation.htm

Hope I helped clarify things!

I have a slightly different take on this. Univ of Phoenix is legitimately accredited under North Central, although it is currently under sanction. Clown College also seems to be legitimately accredited by TRACS, according to their web site. TRACS is an acceptable accrediting body is the US Dept. of Education says it is; that part I'm unsure about.

I can understand that UT might not accept Clown College credits, but that might have less to do with accreditation than with the content of the courses. To transfer, course content must be in line with the that of the accepting insitution.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She looks genuinely happy in those photos (compare and contrast with Zach's previous courtship pics...). He, on the other hand, I'm not sure... Maybe he doesn't like having his photo taken? He looks awkward.

Put me in matching outfits and take my picture in a poxy rose-holding pose and I'd be awkward too.

They had to match for photos. Can't have people thinking they are straying too far away from the typical fundie courtship pattern :lol: :lol:

How awkward would it be to be chaperoned by some of your youngest sisters?

P.S: I hope my future spouse isn't waiting to be my first "real hug" ....that was gone in kindergarten.

TRACS has also accredited some of the more academically sound fundie colleges when they got started (I think, for example, Liberty.) Patrick Henry, though I hate its politics, is a reasonably challenging school from a curricular standpoint.

The salient thing to me is that Clown College is still a candidate institution for TRACS. From the TRACS website, tracs.org:

Candidacy (pre-accreditation) indicates that the institution is in basic compliance with the Standards and Criteria, has been evaluated by an on-site peer team, and in the professional judgment of the evaluation team and the Accreditation Commission, the institution provides sound instruction and student services. While candidacy indicates that an institution appears to have the potential to achieve accreditation within the prescribed five-year period, this level of recognition does not guarantee the institution will become accredited.

Clown College just entered candidate status last year, so the earliest it could become fully accredited in the eyes of the world would be 2017.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume that Whitney is just studying medical coding "to get an MRS degree", or that she's doing it online. Pellissippi State Community College, the local public vocational college in the area, offers a "Medical Insurance Coding and Reimbursement" certificate: http://www.pstcc.edu/catalog/12-13/cerp ... eqgD8XxrTo that sounds exactly what Kelly described. It looks like a 1 year certificate, but she could be working full time for all we know, & studying part time.

PS If you are interested, Pellissippi is a Creek (possibly Cherokee, but probably not, because our language doesn't really have a P) word translating as "winding water" or "winding river"-- similar to Mississippi, which translates as "Great River" or "Mighty Waters".

TRACS has also accredited some of the more academically sound fundie colleges when they got started (I think, for example, Liberty.) Patrick Henry, though I hate its politics, is a reasonably challenging school from a curricular standpoint.

The salient thing to me is that Clown College is still a candidate institution for TRACS. From the TRACS website, tracs.org:

Clown College just entered candidate status last year, so the earliest it could become fully accredited in the eyes of the world would be 2017.

I know I'm biased, but I would never pay money to attend a school that wasn't accredited by SACS, NEASC, NWAC or WASC. I have never understood why people pay money and work/study for a degree that means nothing in the real world. I guess I understand it for women who are going to be teachers at a private Christian school, because they will hire anyone with a teaching "degree" and for men who are going to be pastors.

I like Kelly's statement about Michael:

Michael is just waiting on the Lord’s timing. She loves the Lord. She loves children. She stays busy serving! She is my hero!....We’re so grateful for her.

At least those Bates girls get some approval from their Mama.

Kelly says Whitney is studying medical coding and billing and medical insurance, and I don't think we've heard Zach doing anything besides being a First Responder of sorts (was he volunteering? I don't remember) and helping with his day's business.

EmiGirl- The information about Gil's church is on the homepage of their website:

Visit us at Bible Baptist Church on Sundays at 10 am, 11 am, & 6pm, or Wednesdays at 7pm. (Located in the Holiday Inn Express Conference Room, 111 Hillvale road, Clinton, TN

You should go and report back!

I'll definitely try to go. I'll have to find some sort of reason, but I'm sure that I can come up with something. I wonder if pants are allowed or if dresses are required. Normally. I just wear jeans to church. lol

I'll definitely try to go. I'll have to find some sort of reason, but I'm sure that I can come up with something. I wonder if pants are allowed or if dresses are required. Normally. I just wear jeans to church. lol

Go wearing what you usually wear and see how they treat you.

I really am more fond of the bates family.... Too bad their show got cancelled and the Duggars are still on.. The bates have so much more things going on and I highly doubt anyone cares about Joshs adventures in dc.....seriously so boring... Another spoiled rich kid getting a break bcs his family is on tv.

I have a feeling if the duggars are still on the air next year, it will be about the duggars going to the bates.

I know I'm biased, but I would never pay money to attend a school that wasn't accredited by SACS, NEASC, NWAC or WASC. I have never understood why people pay money and work/study for a degree that means nothing in the real world. I guess I understand it for women who are going to be teachers at a private Christian school, because they will hire anyone with a teaching "degree" and for men who are going to be pastors.

I recommend the PBS Frontline episode "College Inc." It had some eye-opening accounts of students of for-profit colleges who didn't find out their degrees were worth diddily-squat until it was too late. Three nursing students sued their college when they found out they were unemployable because they didn't do their clinicals in a hospital, and another woman is $200,000 in debt from her psych PhD that means nothing because her program wasn't accredited by the American Psychological Association.

I like the Bates family. As fundies go, they just seem more willing to change and adapt, and every member of that family seems to be happy. In the recent blog post (about Zach's courtship), I liked how Kelly admitted they have talked with others and adjusted their view of things related to dating and courtships. She also mentioned that it is ultimately up to each child to decide how they want to conduct their courtship (e.g., Erin is a hand-off courtship, whereas Zach is holding hands). But what I really, really liked was how in one comment Kelly sort of brushed off Gothard. It makes me think there is hope for them, yet!

I like the Bates family. As fundies go, they just seem more willing to change and adapt, and every member of that family seems to be happy. In the recent blog post (about Zach's courtship), I liked how Kelly admitted they have talked with others and adjusted their view of things related to dating and courtships. She also mentioned that it is ultimately up to each child to decide how they want to conduct their courtship (e.g., Erin is a hand-off courtship, whereas Zach is holding hands). But what I really, really liked was how in one comment Kelly sort of brushed off Gothard. It makes me think there is hope for them, yet!

Which comment is that?

Sorry for the wonky bolds.

Here's the exchange on the Bates blog that could be interpreted as a less-than-cultish fervor about Gothard:

Hi Kelly,

I am so pleased for Zach and Whitney.

I agree with you 100% about adoption and the tremendous blessing it can be to a family. I have heard that Mr Gothard has said some rather negative things about adoption and without knowing whether they are true or not I wondered if you would be willing to share your views on this .

I appreciate that not everything you read on the internet is true so I’d love to hear what you think about it.

Kelly July 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Dear Sheila,

We have read his material on adoption long ago. Our overall impression was that he wanted parents to check their motives… The motive of the adopting parents should be to focus on meeting the spiritual and emotional needs of the children. I can’t remember every point in the material, but as with any speaker, measure everything by Scripture…Learn whatever you can, and weed out the rest…but don’t throw out the baby with the bath water. There are many wonderful speakers we learn from, but we don’t agree with everything they say. No one is perfect, that’s why we have the Bible as our final authority. Now, if it is a doctrinal issue (salvation, etc) that is being taught wrong, we must avoid that teaching all together, since the Bible warns about its danger. But for differences in areas like this, we listen…try to learn what we can…ask God to show us His will…and come to a decision of our own based on that. Love, Kelly

I have to say Im liking Kelly more and more. I hope they ditch Gothard all together

I could see it going that way. They have 'fame' in their own right. They don't need Gothard to get attention. In fact, they are able to draw a wider audience due to being a little more flexible in their thinking. They clearly are raising their kids to be independent and make their own decisions (which are based on the brainwashed upbringing they had, but still....). I think as this family continues to examine their beliefs and grow they will learn that much of what Gothard says is pure BS. They'll likely stick with the Quiverfull ideology but step back from a lot of Gothard as the head authority figure of the movement.

I have to say Im liking Kelly more and more. I hope they ditch Gothard all together

Doubtful. ATI, Alert, Journey to the Heart, and IBLP are all listed as resources on their website. I think HereticKHick's description as something that "could be interpreted as a less-than-cultish fervor about Gothard" is about as distant from Gothard as they are going to get. I really don't see them distancing themselves from Gothard at all.

I'm sure TLC is kicking themselves for dropping the Bates and keeping the Duggars. Ideally, they would drop both, but I would much rather watch Zach court and possibly drift fundie-lite, Erin and Chad fall madly in love, and Alyssa go on non-dates with the congressman's son than the Duggars going to the dentist again.

Unless the entire upcoming series will be about how Josh will make an idiot of himself and crawl back under the Little Rock he came out of... :character-spongebobdance: :gay-rainbow: :ignore: :gay-rainbow: :character-spongebobdance: There, I created a nobody cares kind of chain of smilies.

I'm sure TLC is kicking themselves for dropping the Bates and keeping the Duggars. Ideally, they would drop both, but I would much rather watch Zach court and possibly drift fundie-lite, Erin and Chad fall madly in love, and Alyssa go on non-dates with the congressman's son than the Duggars going to the dentist again.

I still have to catch up with the birthing episode... I'll be doing some diggin' soon enough just to see what they have done this time. Duggars: no more kids, just grandkids, dentists and boring, self-promoting trips.

Bates: 2 love stories, and a 3rd one cooking where the suitor seems to be part of an influential family. Thanks TLC. Thank you so much.

I like Kelly's statement about Michael:

At least those Bates girls get some approval from their Mama.

More than any of the others I've always hoped Michael will get married. She seems to genuinely love children in a way her sisters don't. Also her dressmaking skills are amazing - only the seven sisters are in the same league IMO.

I'd like to see the Bates reaction if genders were reversed - if a fundie lite guy with a mainstream life and job came calling for one of their daughters asking for a "touching" courtship, would they agree it was a choice to be made between the Bates daughter and fundie lite dude? I very much doubt it. They may let their sons, who are going to be the headships and set the tone for a relationship and marriage, marry fundie lite and touch before marriage, but I bet they make sure their daughters marry approved guys (high in and very involved with ATI, senators son) and that all their daughters are magically convicted to have hands off courtships, even Erin who looks ready to eat Chad alive.

Doubtful. ATI, Alert, Journey to the Heart, and IBLP are all listed as resources on their website. I think HereticKHick's description as something that "could be interpreted as a less-than-cultish fervor about Gothard" is about as distant from Gothard as they are going to get. I really don't see them distancing themselves from Gothard at all.

Isn't Gil on IBLP's Board of Directors? If so, there's no distance.

Archived