IGNORED

The Weird, the Bad, and the Ugly: Name Discussion - Merge

OkToBeTakei

When I was recovering from surgery, I had a nurse named Ladybug, and my friends did not believe me in the slightest. "Lay off the morphine, H, you're imagining things!" lol

I had to type people's names for prescriptions, and oh my, there are some doozies out there.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's see: I've got neighbors named Richard Poor (He goes by Rich), and a woman named Bambi (Not a nickname, her mother is obsessed with Disney.). And there's an unrelated girl I know whose actual name is Tweetie, I know a girl named Raakel (pronounced like Raquel), and another whose full name is Melody . A friend of mine, named her children Tatyawna and Jitayvis (Jeh-tay-vee-us). Some other weird ones I've heard: West Anaxamander (Actor Misha Collins' son), and a woman I went to a class with had a son named Kwynn, and a daughter named Renesmee-Ellarose (All one name, no idea what the middle name was.)

Melody is a common name.

I went to school with 3 sisters, whose father was a minister, named Faith, Hope, and Charity.

There's a listing in the MN phone directory for a Cinderella Fay.

I have a friend whose maiden name was Loveless.

When we lived in yuppie-central Brooklyn, I made kind of a game of keeping track of the worst baby names I overheard. Boys winner was "Odin" and girls winner was "Manchester." :lol:

There was a girl at my school, much younger than I, who was born in 1976. If you're old enough you'll well remember the bicentenial craze. Her parents named her Liberty Bell. :doh:

I have a (ex)friend who named her daughter Icy (last name? Rhodes.)

At that ice hotel in Sweden, they offer their chapel for christenings on the condition that the baby's name include the Swedish word for ice.

My cousin had a Steveanakelly in his swim class. Dad's name was Steve, mom's name was Kelly. :lol:

My husband once worked with a man whose last name was Barr...he married a woman named Candy.

Worst:

Child named London, last name Birdge.

Champayne Jazz

Prince William

Isreal pronounced is real

Alexia (also the word for a neurological condition where one loses the ability to recognize the written word)

Snow (mother was a cocaine addict and high when she delivered)

Siblings named Cash and Carrie

Dick Broadhead (the Dean of Duke University)

Abcde pronounced Ab-sid-ee

Jinger.

Latrina?! Like the toilet?

Yep, I went to school with a girl with that name.

I hate to see kids saddled with any bad name. I mean, talk about how to screw up someone's entire life! I felt really bad for that girl named Heistheway. :doh:

Ah. I get it now. He Is The Way. I was thinking it was Hyes-tha-Way (WTF?)

Several years ago I came across a former client named Richard B. Harder. There was also a Hugh Bangasser.

I teach. I have had a Pepsi, a shaylynquntetia, DeAngelo, Robertneshia, Destevenlnua, La _shia(ladashshia), a bunch of princesses, two priences, and a lot more unique spelled common names that actualy do not prounce that name.

Years ago, I worked with a woman named Coke.

Loving this thread - I needed the laughs today!:grin:

My mom swears she met a woman at the pediatrician's office when I was a baby whose daughter's name was Female, pronounced "fuh-Molly." She said the hospital named her baby. Though on that note, my grandmother was legally Baby Girl Last Name until she was in her fifties because the doctor (she was born at home) turned the birth certificate into the county without a first name. Her parents were luckily still alive when it was discovered, and they had to go make a statement as to what they had named her to get it fixed.

One of my first cousin's middle names is Mayre, pronounced "may-ree." They were going for Rose Mary, but my aunt's Thai accent causes her to stress the first syllable and they spelled it that way so other people would pronounce it that way. I've been predicting for eleven years now that when she graduates from high school they're going to say Rose Mayor Last Name.

I went to elementary school with a Chalet (she was conceived in a chalet in the mountains), and a Christopher Robin like Winnie the Pooh's owner. He went by Chris, but it always came up because in the class roll he was always listed as CR LastName. We also went to church with a family whose last name was Greene who felt the need to name their kids Kelly and Hunter because they thought it was cute.

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

I used to like weird name discussions, but they all end up with this kind of stuff.

Ha! That was one I thought might actually be true.

I've read Jaycee Dugard's girls are Starlight and Angel? I think that's right, Starlight is new to me. Didn't a celeb recently name a kid Rainbow?

I know a Burn and a Byrn, both girls.

I went to school with a girl named Tilisecia (Ti-lih-see-see-uh). She told all of us not to bother pronouncing her name because everyone gets it wrong anyway.

Also wanted to add that a cousin named her son Dallas Calvin because her husband's a huge Cowboys fan, and Calvin was the closest sounding name to cowboy they could come up with. Personally, I think I'd of lied and just told people we liked the name instead of actually telling people that's where it came from.

I've run into some strange first names in the schools I attended. In college, there was a student named Wonderful Watson. Before that, in junior high, there was an Asian (I assume so, based on their last name) family with triplet girls named France, Greece, and Sweden. Those made Laroshea (La-ro-sha) (a high school classmate) seem normal, IMO.

Beloit College has a Marijuana Pepsi. Hard to believe she kept her name, but she did. You can google her-she has articles written about the fact that she leads a very straight laced life despite her stoner mothers poor choices.

I have met a Korean post doc with the name of Chew Shit Fun. I also worked with a Hindi man named Manmeet.

The worst by far was the Bangladeshi post doc named Ramit Deep. Of course the post doc was female.

I teach. I have had a Pepsi, a shaylynquntetia, DeAngelo, Robertneshia, Destevenlnua, La _shia(ladashshia), a bunch of princesses, two priences, and a lot more unique spelled common names that actualy do not prounce that name.

Like Natashia.... Pronounced Natasha? Yeah.,... And then she nicknamed me Nikki, which I still prefer to go by. Thanks mom! *sigh *

Nit bad names, but I know a couple.. The husband's name is Shea and the wife is Shay. :)

Archived