IGNORED

The Weird, the Bad, and the Ugly: Name Discussion - Merge

OkToBeTakei

I have a reasonably-common, 4-letter, 1-syllable name, spelt in the usual way that my name is spelt. I still get asked to spell it out, it's not really a big deal.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was lobbying for Laphroig for their youngest. (Not actually true; I suggested "Beatrice" and "Zenobia," because I have a weak spot for little kids with granny names.) If you want a hint, the wee one in question is an Irish whiskey.

I LOVE old lady names. (And Zenobia is awesome on two fronts!)

I feel like the Nevaeh name trend is FINALLY dying out and I couldn't be happier.

But most people have to spell their names out anyway. People just can't fucking spell. I personally, would default to Carrie, Kathy, Emily, and Zach, but Starbucks workers by my office tend to write down Carey, Cathy, Emilie, Zac. Unless your name is something like "Kevin", "Bob,"Pat," or "Todd," there is probably an alternate spelling, and at some point, someone will ask you if you prefer a K or a C or ie versus y. Even Something as simple as John Smith could have an alternate spelling, and no one knows what the default for other people is.

I have an unusual name and I dislike it, however, I don't think it should be illegal to give kids non standard names. I think if I was raised with confidence and parents who took an interest in my emotional well being, I might like my name more. But instead I go by a nickname. Shrug.

Am I the only one who thinks Moxie Crimefighter is pretty cute? You know she goes by Moxie, which is adorbs.

I never said it should be illegal, it just irritates me. Example given is Klowie for Chloe. I don't get why the parents would do that. As I said before that paragraph, I have a name that constantly needs spelled out and it gets a little irritating, so I don't get why some parents would change the letters just to be different. I don't feel bad for having my name. I like my name a lot and never once thought my parents were mean to give the name. Some spellings of names are just way out there to me that are that I don't get why a parent do it. It's like they didn't know how to spell it or just heard it somewhere once and named their child that. Thinking of Michael (Michaela) Bates here. Now that's a name few people will ever say right thanks to her clueless parents. And Inspektor...not only did they name their son after a profession, they misspelled it too. At least they have their acting to pay the bills.

Actually what's really irritating is when people spell my name with a Kr and I tell them it's Chr when they know my sister first and assume that because her name starts with a K, mine must start with a K too cause siblings have the same letter...and yes, I have had someone tell me that siblings start with the same letter. Yeah, maybe, but I was born first, so I don't think my parents knew they were going to have a second daughter...my mom was hoping for a boy so she'd have one of each actually. Siblings don't have to start with the same letter (looking at you Duggars). No, it's not the worst thing in the world, just gets a little annoying to hear that assumption so often. I have it way better than Jinger though. Now there's another name few will ever spell right.

But most people have to spell their names out anyway. People just can't fucking spell. I personally, would default to Carrie, Kathy, Emily, and Zach, but Starbucks workers by my office tend to write down Carey, Cathy, Emilie, Zac. Unless your name is something like "Kevin", "Bob,"Pat," or "Todd," there is probably an alternate spelling, and at some point, someone will ask you if you prefer a K or a C or ie versus y. Even Something as simple as John Smith could have an alternate spelling, and no one knows what the default for other people is.

I have an unusual name and I dislike it, however, I don't think it should be illegal to give kids non standard names. I think if I was raised with confidence and parents who took an interest in my emotional well being, I might like my name more. But instead I go by a nickname. Shrug.

Am I the only one who thinks Moxie Crimefighter is pretty cute? You know she goes by Moxie, which is adorbs.

Michaela is a very common name where I live. As are very oddly spelt gaelic names. I have never been upset by people asking me to spell my name which is SO not used to being unspelled like the word I just used. But I am still asked to spell it. So being asked to spell your name, common. Being asked to spell a feckin' stupid name your parents changed? Stupid. Being lumbered with some dafty name that nobody can pronounce never mind spell, I'm all for somebody saying don't be such a twat. Even the Govt. :lol:

Please tell me not Paddy's :lol:

My child has a totally Irish name spelt in the Gaelic way. I do not care if she has to spell it, which she does and will do. As others have said even those called John Smith need to spell their names. But I am kind of leaning toward Hiwell (sp) that some are child abuse, or at least parental abuse not seriously so, but sometimes sense needs to be knocked in?

Bushmill?

Not Paddy's, not Bushmill, not Tullamore Dew, not Redbreast.

Considering your sister is called after an Irish whisky. I assume you get my humour.

So my swearing will get way worse until you tell?

But then my gaelic ennui will kick in if I get bored waiting. Complex. :lol:

Michaela is a very common name where I live. As are very oddly spelt gaelic names. I have never been upset by people asking me to spell my name which is SO not used to being unspelled like the word I just used. But I am still asked to spell it. So being asked to spell your name, common. Being asked to spell a feckin' stupid name your parents changed? Stupid. Being lumbered with some dafty name that nobody can pronounce never mind spell, I'm all for somebody saying don't be such a twat. Even the Govt. :lol:

It's not the name Michaela that's the issue, it's that the Bates don't pronounce it like most people.

Considering your sister is called after an Irish whisky. I assume you get my humour.

So my swearing will get way worse until you tell?

But then my gaelic ennui will kick in if I get bored waiting. Complex. :lol:

The one named after whiskey is my nephew, not my sister-- does that make it easier? If not, it starts with "J." (His little sister, the one I wanted to call Zenobia, has a totally normal name.)

It's not the name Michaela that's the issue, it's that the Bates don't pronounce it like most people.

:cry: I know. Such a lovely name. Also sounds so nice in my accent.

Jameson!

Is his father named James?

A virtual shot of whiskey for you!

His father is not named James, but most of the menfolk in his mama's family for generations have been, and his mama would have been a James if she'd been male. "Jamesnephew," "Jamescousin," and "Jamesgrandson" apparently sounded too dorky.

His father is not named James, but most of the menfolk in his mama's family for generations have been, and his mama would have been a James if she'd been male. "Jamesnephew," "Jamescousin," and "Jamesgrandson" apparently sounded too dorky.

Aww I hope she is Jamie. I adore that.

I totally did not care, I was not bothered, I am not competitive and lilith does not have a voodoo doll now. Nope.

I totally did not care, I was not bothered, I am not competitive and lilith does not have a voodoo doll now. Nope.

She was named after her mom instead, but she should have been a Jamie-- it would suit her.

*offers OKTBT a shot of whiskey, too*

Beautiful name. :)

But in my heart I was holding out for Tullamore Dew... It sounds like one of those artsy-fartsy names celebrities give their kids. :lol:

Well as a Scot you can't be expected to be familiar with Irish whiskey brands.

Here in Australia we drink all the whiskies - scots, Irish, many even drink American bourbon and call it whiskey.

I also think Moxie is cute. Plus, Penn Jillette explained her name once...he said "Moxie" is a completely American word, it means gumption, which he hoped his daughter would have. He also said that everyone was naming their daughters Ava (when they were naming Moxie) and he didn't want four or five people to turn around when he said his daughter's name. He wanted her to know she was special, and she was the only Moxie. (Or something to that effect.)

I would never have the moxie to name my CHILD Moxie, but I my kids both ended up with popular names, so there ya go.

Did anyone see that episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet where Moxey shows Oz and Neville a picture of his sister's little boy.

MOXEY: Her and Gooey are the only family I got!

NEVILLE: That's a funny name, how do you spell that?

MOXEY: G-U-Y.

Another NZer here and I must say I'm ok with our system. I think the only other acceptable option to stop really "abusive" or "stupid" names would be making the parents pay for all the fees needed to legally change a name on all the documents the child has - no matter the age of the child. That might stop the idiots who want to call their child Clamidia or Abcd or similar.

Both my partner and I have names that are (apparently) hard to spell and pronounce properly in english, so when we chose a name for our child, the first name is very traditional and easy to pronounce in both languages that we speak and the second name is the "weird" one (at least for english speakers)

Again in NZ I have to say the list doesn't bother me, and to be fair they were also adding titles to names that wouldn't be allowed, Queen, Princess, Justice, Judge etc it would be incredibly confusing to have lots of kids and later adults running around with those names around here.

I have an unusual name, I just deal, I've reached the point where if asked if its been pronounced correctly I just say it doesn't matter.

I have an acquaintance whose new little daughter is named Khaleesi :confusion-shrug:

George R.R. Martin, what have you done?!

(I really shouldn't talk though. If my son had been born a girl his name would have been Arya. :lol: )

Also, I hasten to add that a name doesn't have to be unusual to be terrible. For example, I went to college with a Carl Carlson III.

Aww Khaleesi is a cute name! Better than the surplus of Bellas, Jacobs, and Edwards, IMO. Has anyone named their baby Renessmee yet? (or however/whatever that terrible portmanteau is spelled)

Archived