IGNORED

The Weird, the Bad, and the Ugly: Name Discussion - Merge

OkToBeTakei

My daughter's name is Siona. She was named after my great grandmother who was a wonderful woman, who everyone loved. It is also Hebrew for Excellent. If she doesn't like it, she has a normal middle name to fall back on.

Nobody will make fun of her first name. They will be too busy calling her Poison Ivy... like I was when I was in school and my mother before me.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fundie I read just had a daughter last month and named her Laughter. She wanted to name her baby a word name and Laughter came to her one day. She said God gave it to her since it sounded so pretty and she knew she was having a girl.

I have an acquaintance whose new little daughter is named Khaleesi :confusion-shrug:

Either it's a strange coincidence or we have a person in common. A friend of mine just posted online the other day her co-worker's niece just named her daughter that name.

Either it's a strange coincidence or we have a person in common. A friend of mine just posted online the other day her co-worker's niece just named her daughter that name.

OR, the Game of Thrones names are hitting the newborns.

Khaleesi is a Dothraki title referring to the wife of the khal

Brought this one up on another thread (Closet Racist....). The blogger had gone to a baby shower and was posting pics of the creative gift she had made.... and mentioned the names of the twin babies... Kruze and Kyzlie. (boy and girl). Kruze... okay, weird spelling but Cruz is a pretty common latino surname at least. Kyzlie? not even sure how they are going to pronounce that. Kizlee? Kizelee (long-I)? Just... ugh.

And unrelatedly, my middle kid has a name that is uncommon among young Americans but extremely common among middle-aged Europeans. I tried to pick the spelling that would be the easiest/most common for Americans to get (and asked a friend with the same name how we should spell it) but he still either gets it misspelled or mispronounced a lot. Oh, well, at least we tried to make it easier and not harder.

A co-worker who I thought was fairly conservative named her son:

Brown and their last name rhymes with butthole.

I know kids named:

Curly Q

Crayon

Tequila (preacher's daughter)

President

Cappachino

Symphony

OH!!! I FORGOT!!!

I know a guy who named his baby (who is now 6 months old) Handsome Elijah. I kid you not. I have a feeling that kid will be going by Eli as he gets older.

On unusual names, I have an unusual spelling. Is it a pain? Yes but have I come to love my name yes. Its just one of those things that it is. And I go by my nick name a lot anyway. My nick name is for my friends and family while my first is for the world of professionalism. I work in a semi professional setting right now and I am still getting used to be called my other name.

I think people should have the freedom to name their kids what they want. Honestly, most kids born are born with pretty normal sounding names. I just wouldn't judge.

• 1 month later...

After reading about the new babies birthed this week I thought it would be fun to start a thread (Kaiden, North, to name two) about ridiculous names. Here are some of my personal favorites:

Jerefart

Seaside (pronounced by the mother as) see*ass*a*dee

Latrina

Tylon, Nylon and Orlan

Latrina?! Like the toilet?

Yes. The baby was originally named Latrine but when the hospital staff pointed that out the mother changed the e to an a.

I've read and heard several times that someone named their kid "Shithead." I'm hoping that this is a total urban myth.

Possibly the weirdest I have seen in real life is Emilea, which I wasnt sure whether it was pronounced as Emily or Amelia with an E. Turns out its Emily.

My friend works in the neonatal unit of a hospital and told about a woman who named her baby "Theone." The nurses pronounced it "Thee-OWN" and the mother said, "No! It's pronounced The-One! Because he is THE ONE!"

Seaside (pronounced by the mother as) see*ass*a*dee

:lol: Impressive. :clap:

A (not bright) woman I know named her daughter Moira. Which is fine, except she pronounces it Ma-wry-ah. I think she just didn't know how to spell Mariah.

I once had the delight of dealing with a woman named Aquanetta.

Was she Jim Bob Duggar's sister?

Not Fundie, but...North West?!? That's a serious WTF, IMO.

I'm the same.

Poor kid

Snow Ball. There is a Hmong child whose siblings all have typical Hmong first names along with their Hmong last names. The most common last names are Xiong, Vang, and Yang. This grade school kid has the first name Snow, last name Ball. I have no clue why the last name was Ball, both parents had a Hmong last name as did siblings. And he did not have a winter birthday.

A friend today said she's celebrating her grandchild Talon's birthday. I don't know if Talon is a boy or girl.

I had a classmate named Sandy Candy. We always joked she should become a stripper.

I once had the delight of dealing with a woman named Aquanetta.

Me, too! She was an old actress who had retired to AZ.

Archived