IGNORED

The Weird, the Bad, and the Ugly: Name Discussion - Merge

OkToBeTakei

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an uncle Otis which I think of as a upper middle class name.

I met a Jyl today.

Is that pronounced like Kyle but with a J, or a horrible mispelling of Jill?

Best alcohol related name I have ever heard: full name Margarita Corona. I think that was my drink order the last time I ate at a Mexican restaurant. :)

Saw the following names via Facebook today:

Kyler

Treven

McKailey

and someone's new baby "Landon Michael". My husband's response to that: "did they name their baby after the guy on Little House on the Prairie on purpose or are they too young to know who that is?" I do not know the answer.

Is that pronounced like Kyle but with a J, or a horrible mispelling of Jill?

Haha, the former could be considered a youneek version of "Giles"!

• 2 weeks later...
I think Autumn, Winter and Summer are all acceptable names. Spring? No. Sorry, Spring. I did have an imaginary friend named Springy-Dog as a kid, though, so maybe okay for a dog's name ;)

(He was a purple poodle with the traditional poodle cut and springs for legs. Also he was French and very ignorant about technology, so whenever I saw something I Springy-Dog didn't understand, I'd ask how it worked. For Springy-Dog's sake, you understand.)

FWIW, Aviva (Hebrew for Spring) isn't considered out-there in English-speaking countries.

When we went to orientation at my kids' school, I noticed a locker labeled "Breeawna". 'Cause that's how everybody around here says "Brianna" and it's variations, so I guess the parents decided to spell it with their version of phonetics.

Fortunately, that was balanced out by the girl in my son's class named Cecelia. Which is old fashioned and awesome.

One of my fundie-lite friends has a granddaughter named Yoni.

I just can't.

VERY common Hebrew name for boys, even in English-speaking communities. It's a nickname for Yonatan (Jonathan is the Anglicized version of the name). It's hard to avoid all potentially embarrassing translations in every single language.

[so says the woman who accidentally named her son "vagina exercises".]

I met someone who had a kid called Buddy. I thought it was a nickname at first, but no, its his real first name.

I went to school with a Buddy. His last name was Guy...I am sure his parents hated him.

I was reminded by my friends cousins that are three boys and these aren't the nicknames: Chip, Gunner and Diesel. I weep for them.

I went to school with a Buddy. His last name was Guy...I am sure his parents hated him.

I was reminded by my friends cousins that are three boys and these aren't the nicknames: Chip, Gunner and Diesel. I weep for them.

Gunner (Gunnar) is a classic Scandanavian name. Makes me think of another one that doesn't make the translation so well... the German name Helmut. I knew a Helmut in college and after going to a comedy performance where they had a song about wearing a helmet which was clearly a reference to a condom... I couldn't take him seriously any more. (Ok, I was a little immature back then.).

Sorry, that was a rather random diversion ;-). Oh, Gunnar and Diesel also make me think of Axel, which I kind of like.

Gunner (Gunnar) is a classic Scandanavian name. Makes me think of another one that doesn't make the translation so well... the German name Helmut. I knew a Helmut in college and after going to a comedy performance where they had a song about wearing a helmet which was clearly a reference to a condom... I couldn't take him seriously any more. (Ok, I was a little immature back then.).

Sorry, that was a rather random diversion ;-). Oh, Gunnar and Diesel also make me think of Axel, which I kind of like.

I knew a Gunnar in HS, so that one's not weird for me.

While I like the sound of Diesel and Axel, they definitely seem like names you'd see in some post-apocalyptic diesel punk novel or movie (maybe The Road Warrior). :D

Gunnar is the name of one of the late Ricky Nelson's twin sons.

I know that Patsy doesn't like the name Spring, but I've always liked it. Maybe I fell in love with the name because I fell in love with the actress Spring Byington as a kid. Spring happens to have played Penny Sycamore in the film "You Can't Take It With You". I also love the name India ever since I heard it used for Ashley Wilkes's sister in "Gone With the Wind". Back in the days of clipper ships, little girls used to be named Burma (Birma) and India fairly often.

Archived